Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by DWags 2018-08-03, 21:25

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:I’m on dinners drive in and drives. They’re at a fusion restaurant in Chicago that combines Asian and Latin. Looks great.

I like that show too.....I try to watch these when I'm not smoking, otherwise I get powerful munchies.

I have a thread here where I was drunk and hungry and only popcorn in the house to eat. I watched a cooking show and made an ass of myself eating it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest 2018-08-03, 21:28

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I like that show too.....I try to watch these when I'm not smoking, otherwise I get powerful munchies.

I have a thread here where I was drunk and hungry and only popcorn in the house to eat. I watched a cooking show and made an ass of myself eating it.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 502811600 Another Favorite is Andrew Zimmern - either Bizarre Foods or Delicious Destinations. Along with the British baking and Diners & Drive ins they're my go to cooking shows. Some of the shit that Zimmern eats you couldn't get me near and I consider myself an adventurous eater.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-03, 21:32

What temp you guys smoke your pork to? 150ish?

And I like diners, drive ins and dive too. Interesting to see how stuff is made.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-08-03, 21:38

aualum06 wrote:What temp you guys smoke your pork to? 150ish?

And I like diners, drive ins and dive too. Interesting to see how stuff is made.
Pork butt?  Needs to be over 195, I pull mine at 203 or so.

It is safe to eat at lower temp, but it won't taste very good.  You need to break down the collagen and connective tissue - generally the lower and slower the better.  

It is not a steak.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-03, 21:53

MSU addict wrote:
aualum06 wrote:What temp you guys smoke your pork to? 150ish?

It is safe to eat at lower temp, but it won't taste very good.  You need to break down the collagen and connective tissue - generally the lower and slower the better.  

It is not a steak.

I've got a small loin, last time I think I went 160 and it was to done

Last edited by aualum06 on 2018-08-03, 21:57; edited 1 time in total
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-08-03, 21:54

No. You didn't do it right.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-08-03, 22:37

Addict is right... It was probably dry and tough and you thought it was undercooked. It was the opposite. When pork shoulder is done it should fall apart with very little effort. Like you can use your hands to shred it (with gloves... It would obviously be hot). Take it to 205 or higher.

Also ymmv but I find that worrying about cooking temperature and trying to keep it at a certain temp or range is overrated. Connective tissue will break down at 325+ the same way it will at 225. And it will save you some time.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-08-03, 22:43

aualum06 wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

It is not a steak.

This seems like deja vu. Haven't we been over this before? Pretty sure I mentioned wrapping pork loin in bacon and pulling to tent at 145 internal.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-08-03, 22:44

Ah, I see you edited to clarify loin.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-03, 22:59

The Pantry wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

This seems like deja vu. Haven't we been over this before? Pretty sure I mentioned wrapping pork loin in bacon and pulling to tent at 145 internal.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we have.....
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-08-03, 23:11

Are you talking pork tenderloin? Completely different than pork loin. Very easy to overcook.  Not a smoking cut.  Should not take more than 12 minutes on the grill over direct high heat, turning every 3 minutes.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-08-03, 23:55

I’ve got three beautiful NY Strips for this weekend. Not sure what I’m going to do with them.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-08-04, 00:37

How thick are they? If less than 1¼" forget grilling and cut them up for stir fry.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-08-04, 03:46

I've smoked tenderloins. Usually I slice them very thin, pound them flat, stuff them with shit and then tie them back together though
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-08-04, 04:20

Why am I still up? It's a long story. 

I made a Detroiter last night, so that's good. It was also very good. Pics. 

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 28889785937_0e92ba5032_c
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 42922159245_34c668200f_c
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 43825784761_b1c94ce368_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-08-04, 07:47

Hatch, that looks delicious!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-04, 08:06

I forget if WBH has a pizza o en or not. If someone could cook one that’s good without one it would be WBH
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-08-04, 12:46

Regular oven. Just get it hot...525-550.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-08-04, 13:14

Nice job but that is overdone IMO. How long was it in the oven?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-08-04, 13:15

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 H3ceqn10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-04, 19:33

It was a tender loin I believe. Pulled and tented at 145 and it was the best one I've done yet.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-08-06, 12:38

Drew Margery is a funny dude.

FEATURES My mission to ruin a $250 Wagyu steak nearly destroyed my family
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-06, 14:36

Rocinante wrote:Drew Margery is a funny dude.  

We could chip in and send a Waygu to WBH....

And BTW - just got back from the cardiologist - I may not be Bob but for me the #'s were good.

84 pulse
140/80 BP
96% oxygen

"I've never heard your lungs so clear"
After hearing this from my primary care Dr a couple weeks ago, I heard it again from
the cardiologist today.   So 3 years, 12 days after quitting the fags my lungs have finally
cleared out.

I may live long enough to annoy the hell out of more people.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-08-07, 12:12

LooseGoose wrote:

We could chip in and send a Waygu to WBH....

And BTW - just got back from the cardiologist - I may not be Bob but for me the #'s were good.

84 pulse
140/80 BP
96% oxygen

"I've never heard your lungs so clear"
After hearing this from my primary care Dr a couple weeks ago, I heard it again from
the cardiologist today.   So 3 years, 12 days after quitting the fags my lungs have finally
cleared out.

I may live long enough to annoy the hell out of more people.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 DisloyalResponsibleErin-max-1mb
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-07, 12:37

WBH - the Gene Kelly of the Swill.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 Tumblr10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-08-07, 12:37

I almost bought an A5 a few weeks ago off of Crowd Cow. Reviews I've read steered me away. Too much fat for conventional tastes. Surprised this Drew character liked it as much as he did.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-08-07, 12:39

Some of the pictures of the cooked meat looked pretty damn good. The fat appeared to dissolve into the meat.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-07, 12:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I almost bought an A5 a few weeks ago off of Crowd Cow. Reviews I've read steered me away. Too much fat for conventional tastes. Surprised this Drew character liked it as much as he did.

Drive down to this place, I used to stop in there back when I had deliveries in the Eastern Market.:

Fairway Packing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-07, 15:23

LooseGoose wrote:WBH - the Gene Kelly of the Swill.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 Tumblr10

My first tip might be to tell Gene to get the deviled eggs out of the sun.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-08, 15:02

WBH - if you're still sitting still:

Burgers, Brew and 'que
COOKINGHD - 113 Wed, 8/08, 3:00 PM 30 min
"Motor City's Mouthwatering Meals"
Repeat, 10/07/2016, Season 3 / Episode 5 , Food, Travel, Cooking
Michael and Kendra Wilkinson sample food and beer throughout the city of Detroit as they sample the local microbrews, a classic Coney Island hotdog, spicy Korean sliders, and pulled pork enchiladas; the day ends with a throwing competition.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-08-08, 15:44

Vince & Joe's is having a sale on bronzini, which I've never heard of. I thought that was one of the Dons from the Godfather (who now sleeps with the fishes).

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 Bronzi10
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-08, 16:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:Vince & Joe's is having a sale on bronzini, which I've never heard of. I thought that was one of the Dons from the Godfather (who now sleeps with the fishes).

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 Bronzi10

I think that was Barzini, the man behind it all along - he wasn't a pimp like Tattaglia...

Never even heard of that fish, but wild caught fish at $5.99 sounds damned reasonable.

$10 a # at the joint that had this blurb:

While some people may know the bronzini fish better as the Mediterranean sea bass, this fish tastes surprisingly like red snapper and is similar in appearance and size to a medium-sized trout. To enhance the flavor, add citrus accents and bold spices utilizing ingredients such as lemons, black pepper, fresh thyme, garlic, and coarse sea salt. Bronzini fish pairs well with roasted vegetables or rice. This fish is typically ordered whole with the head on, but we can absolutely accommodate your cleaning preferences by beheading and filleting your custom order in advance. Approximate weight per bronzini fish is one to two pounds, so you can plan your meals accordingly based on your serving needs.

If it really compares to Red Snapper then it's a bargain.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-08-08, 16:07

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Vince & Joe's is having a sale on bronzini, which I've never heard of. I thought that was one of the Dons from the Godfather (who now sleeps with the fishes).

I think that was Barzini, the man behind it all along - he wasn't a pimp like Tattaglia...

Never even heard of that fish, but wild caught fish at $5.99 sounds damned reasonable.

While some people may know the bronzini fish better as the Mediterranean sea bass, this fish tastes surprisingly like red snapper and is similar in appearance and size to a medium-sized trout. To enhance the flavor, add citrus accents and bold spices utilizing ingredients such as lemons, black pepper, fresh thyme, garlic, and coarse sea salt. Bronzini fish pairs well with roasted vegetables or rice. This fish is typically ordered whole with the head on, but we can absolutely accommodate your cleaning preferences by beheading and filleting your custom order in advance. Approximate weight per bronzini fish is one to two pounds, so you can plan your meals accordingly based on your serving needs.

Oh, Bar-zini. That's a little different.

Your point about Red Snapper is well taken. Maybe I'll pick up some bron-zini on this weekend when I'm there and test it out.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-08, 16:20

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Oh, Bar-zini. That's a little different.

Your point about Red Snapper is well taken. Maybe I'll pick up some bron-zini on this weekend when I'm there and test it out.

...report back here.

PS for Bob - we're really talking about fish not Russian women.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-08-08, 16:23

Jesus Christ that looks fucking amazing. No chance in hell would I attempt smoking a cut of beef like that though.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-08-08, 17:04

Great article. I need to try Waygu.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-09, 11:58

Grand Haven sandwich spot to be featured on Food Network

GRAND HAVEN, MI - The Toasted Pickle is bringing food fame to the popular tourist destination of Grand Haven.

The restaurant will be featured on The Food Network on Thursday, Aug. 9.

The 2-year-old sandwich shop in downtown Grand Haven will be on a segment of "Seaside Snacks & Shacks" on the Food Network's Cooking Channel at 10 p.m. on Thursday.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-08-09, 12:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Why am I still up? It's a long story. 

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 28889785937_0e92ba5032_c
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 42922159245_34c668200f_c
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 19 43825784761_b1c94ce368_c
there's not enough Prevacid on the planet that would allow me to eat that.

Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing.. but I'd be eating Tums for a week.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-08-09, 12:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

My fat ass would willingly eat the whole damn thing.

5'4"
RHR: 250
BP: Too high
Cholesterol: even effn higher
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-09, 12:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

So you're a dyspeptic old fart.

I was quite impressed at the obvious crunchy crust that WBH achieved with minimal burning.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next