Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-31, 15:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I had a cousin we called "Turkey Noggin" - when he'd tilt his head a certain way, his dentures would resonate against the mountain breeze and you could almost make out "Amarillo by Morning" by George Strait.

Your cousin was in TV?

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 502811600

I remember that episode!

my favorite Gilligan episode was the one where The Mosquitoes landed on the island and played a concert.. then Skipper, Gilligan, Mr. Howell and the Professor formed a band and tried to impress them.. and then the Mary Ann, Ginger and Mrs. Howell formed their own band and The Mosquitoes got nervous that they were gonna become stars and fled the island!

They played "You Need Us" - was a solid bubble gum teeny bop tune.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-31, 15:35

holy hell - here is the performance..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-12, 18:47

TIL former Spartan football captain Joe Tate is now a State Representative. For some reason, I thought he’d started a career in law enforcement. Nope. After a couple of years in the NFL, he joined the Marines. Then grad school at scum, and now repping the district in which he was born. Good to see him doing so well.

https://www.tateformichigan.com/meet-joe-tate
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-13, 01:34

I also learned today Kellen Moore is already an NFL coordinator. OC at Dallas. Seems like he was still QBing in Detroit just a couple of years ago, but it’s been five years. Crazy thing is he only stopped playing for the Cowboys in ‘17.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellen_Moore
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-19, 17:02

The creative genius behind the movies Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Uncle Buck, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and the characters from Vacation was all the work of one man: John Hughes, who was born in Lansing, Michigan.

If I ever knew that, I’d long since forgotten it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-09-19, 18:38

So, we've hatched Monarch butterflies for over a decade, and I've seen that they migrate down to Mexico and warmer climates for Winter, and was thinking "seriously"?

Turns out there are 4 generations of Monarch each year, and the first 3 only live 3-5 weeks, but the 4th migrates. I have no idea if the ones born in Michigan get that far.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-09-19, 19:13

Butterflies are cool.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-19, 19:16

SawGreen wrote:So, we've hatched Monarch butterflies for over a decade, and I've seen that they migrate down to Mexico and warmer climates for Winter, and was thinking "seriously"?

Turns out there are 4 generations of Monarch each year, and the first 3 only live 3-5 weeks, but the 4th migrates. I have no idea if the ones born in Michigan get that far.

Didn’t realize it was four generations; I thought it was only three. Which also makes suspect my recollection that the last generation flies all the way to Mexico.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-09-19, 19:53

Nigel is actually Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-19, 20:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Nigel is actually Fletch

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 502811600 That explains so much.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-09-20, 10:08

tGreenWay wrote:

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 502811600 That explains so much.

I remember he used to go through game threads after the Spartans would come from behind to win and repost the negative ones to shame posters. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 1966794946 So much sense is right.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-09-20, 11:06

Wait, so that's actually true, then? Doesn't that mean he has somewhere on the order of 500,000 posts altogether? That's almost Bob Sak territory...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-26, 23:19

"MSU doesn’t have a talent issue."

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-26, 23:22

NigelUno wrote:"MSU doesn’t have a talent issue."

MSU doesn't have talent, and that's an issue.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-26, 23:23

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:"MSU doesn’t have a talent issue."

MSU doesn't have talent, and that's an issue.

I already knew that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-14, 11:31

A 5lb bag of Bit-O-Honey will only run you $23.11.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-11-14, 11:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:A 5lb bag of Bit-O-Honey will only run you $23.11.
does it come with a coupon for one free visit to a local orthodontist?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-11-14, 11:40

I learned:

OTPT is easily brainwashed by psychotic posters.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-11-14, 11:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:A 5lb bag of Bit-O-Honey will only run you $23.11.
does it come with a coupon for one free visit to a local orthodontist?

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 502811600

That would be a natural promotional tie-in, wouldn't it?

I like Bit-O-Honey. Some years I might I eat 2-3 of them. Years might go by before I have another one. I kind of stumbled on the bulk Bit-O-Honey price, but now I know.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-11-14, 12:28

Never heard of this before...
How the Japanese bombed Michigan during World War II
Pretty crazy.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-11-14, 12:54

that some dude in this one neighborhood in East Lansing has a heated driveway.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-14, 13:16

I.B. Fine wrote:Never heard of this before...
Pretty crazy.

As a history teacher 35 years ago I’d give a take home question that was good to replace one quiz grade “how many states did Japan bomb during WWII, and geographically how close via miles were you to the nearest bombing?”
Back then there was not google so it took some research. I think I had one student find out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-19, 18:50

TIL Hal Smith, who was the actor who played Otis Campbell, the town drunk on The Andy Griffith Show, and was the voice of Owl on many of the early Winnie the Pooh film shorts, was born in Petoskey, Michigan.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0808401/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-19, 20:40

tGreenWay wrote:TIL Hal Smith, who was the actor who played Otis Campbell, the town drunk on The Andy Griffith Show, and was the voice of Owl on many of the early Winnie the Pooh film shorts, was born in Petoskey, Michigan.

Him and foster brooks were two of my favorite drunks. Didn’t know Otis was a Stone.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-20, 19:09

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:TIL Hal Smith, who was the actor who played Otis Campbell, the town drunk on The Andy Griffith Show, and was the voice of Owl on many of the early Winnie the Pooh film shorts, was born in Petoskey, Michigan.

Him and foster brooks were two of my favorite drunks. Didn’t know Otis was a Stone.

Considering what a big fan Bob is of The Andy Griffith Show and of alcohol, I wonder if he’s planning a trip Up North soon to see the birthplace of a genuine tv superstar.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-20, 22:02

DWags wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:Never heard of this before...
Pretty crazy.

As a history teacher 35 years ago I’d give a take home question that was good to replace one quiz grade “how many states did Japan bomb during WWII, and geographically how close via miles were you to the nearest bombing?”
Back then there was not google so it took some research. I think I had one student find out.
You're a teacher? Thanks. That explains a lot. Especially after you asking about water heaters when you could have googled with your no real world experience.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-20, 22:40

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:

You're a teacher? Thanks. That explains a lot. Especially after you asking about water heaters when you could have googled with your no real world experience.

Started out as one. And I trust people on this board way more than google.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-20, 22:58

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You're a teacher? Thanks. That explains a lot. Especially after you asking about water heaters when you could have googled with your no real world experience.

Started out as one. And I trust people on this board way more than google.
Okay. Can appreciate that.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-11-21, 00:17

Attempt to be a dick defused.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-21, 01:38

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:

Was this really necessary? Even here on tSwill, where we yank the chains of everybody for every little thing, most of the time in good fun, this comment seems dickish.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-11-21, 08:38

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:

Dumbfuck hates education. News at 11.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-21, 20:06

Oh, look! A storm of giant snowflakes!
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-11-21, 20:08

The Pantry wrote:Oh, look! A storm of giant snowflakes!

Sometimes, when you act like a prick, you get called out for it. A man of your age ought to know that by this point in his life.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-11-21, 20:11

Also, if you dislike us all so much, I'm sure you could find like minded individuals elsewhere to bash teachers to your heart's content.

As it turns out, a message board that pulls it members almost exclusively from the ranks of the college educated is not the ideal audience for anti-intellectualism. Shocking, I know.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-11-21, 20:30

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 7 1966794946 You’re talking to someone who bitched about the amount of smoke breaks he gets under new company ownership. This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-11-21, 21:25

Cameron just went nuclear
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-11-21, 22:40

Cameron wrote:Also, if you dislike us all so much, I'm sure you could find like minded individuals elsewhere to bash teachers to your heart's content.

As it turns out, a message board that pulls it members almost exclusively from the ranks of the college educated is not the ideal audience for anti-intellectualism. Shocking, I know.
Anti-intellectualism?   Perhaps you're not understanding my point.  

Public school K-12 teachers are all union.  Tenured after only 5 years (use to be 10).  Most work only 9 months a year.  Pretty much can't get fired unless brought up on criminal charges.  It's sorta like a government job.

My 4 kids went through all K-12 years in the highly acclaimed Troy school district.  Met all their teachers.  Through the years, only one impressed me.  The rest were there only for the paycheck and benefits.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-11-21, 22:53

The Pantry wrote:
Cameron wrote:Also, if you dislike us all so much, I'm sure you could find like minded individuals elsewhere to bash teachers to your heart's content.

Public school K-12 teachers are all union.  Tenured after only 5 years (use to be 10).  Most work only 9 months a year.  Pretty much can't get fired unless brought up on criminal charges.  It's sorta like a government job.

My 4 kids went through all K-12 years in the highly acclaimed Troy school district.  Met all their teachers.  Through the years, only one impressed me.  The rest were there only for the paycheck and benefits.

Anti-educator is anti-education. I suppose that is different from anti-intellectualism, but not any better.

If you want to claim that you're not anti-educator, then it would behoove you not to take a default stance of "all teachers are lazy morons who should be insulted."
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-21, 22:54

The Pantry wrote:

Jesus. This is where I bite my tongue and just say you couldn’t be more wrong about some great people. Knowing it’s your mindset, I’ll just wish you the best.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-11-21, 22:55

The Pantry wrote:

Ahhh. That clears things up. I thought you were bring deragatory towards teachers/Dwags.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next