Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by SawGreen Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 pm

tGreenWay wrote:I think it’s a black eye on the American education system that an entire generation of children are being allowed to grow up believing bears are hand-crafted by humans. For shame.

Huh?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:34 pm

SawGreen wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I think it’s a black eye on the American education system that an entire generation of children are being allowed to grow up believing bears are hand-crafted by humans. For shame.

Huh?

Forget it, he's on a roll.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Thioacetone has an intensely foul odor. Like many low molecular weight organosulfur compounds, the smell is potent and can be detected even when highly diluted.[6] In 1889, an attempt to distill the chemical in the German city of Freiburg was followed by cases of vomiting, nausea and unconsciousness in an area with a radius of 0.75 kilometres (0.47 mi) around the laboratory due to the smell.[7] British chemists at the Whitehall Soap Works in Leeds noted in an 1890 report that dilution seemed to make the smell worse and described the smell as "fearful"

Recently we found ourselves with an odour problem beyond our worst expectations. During early experiments, a stopper jumped from a bottle of residues, and, although replaced at once, resulted in an immediate complaint of nausea and sickness from colleagues working in a building two hundred yards away. Two of our chemists who had done no more than investigate the cracking of minute amounts of trithioacetone found themselves the object of hostile stares in a restaurant and suffered the humiliation of having a waitress spray the area around them with a deodorant. The odours defied the expected effects of dilution since workers in the laboratory did not find the odours intolerable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:39 pm

^ odours?

They stink at spelling.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 am

^ tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 1486952199
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:20 pm

If you're bored and need to kill some time there are some interesting pictures here:

20+ Things That Are Surprisingly Bigger Than You Probably Thought

#8 Eagle Talon Vs. Human Hand
tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 5b73e904e9613_ZRecMuTNy3DJPeAzJVcFlzFjVisup1ME0ITmQ8PvoxA__700
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:04 am

On 8/25/1939 - The Wizard of Oz opened in theaters nationwide.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Been dinking with non-keypunch computing/computers about 30 years. Did IT work years ago. Built maybe 40 desktops spec'd for CAD work and 10 others for friends from components.

Have seen dis-assembled hard drives before...the actual disks containing the data. Never really thought about what they are made of until today.

My 4 year old home Dell laptop died last December. Was able to copy all the pertinent stuff before it officially croaked. Came across it today while doing some house cleaning and decided was time to pitch it. Took the hard drive out. My trusty toolbox has a set of very small Torx's bits. Was able to take the entire drive apart with the T3.

Two small disks in my hand. They sorta looked like plastic. Gripped them with two sets of channel locks and attempted bending to destroy them. Immediately exploded into what seemed like shrapnel.

Wasn't wearing safety glass, thinking they'd bend before breaking. Piece of one disc hit me on the cheek just below the right eye...no damage. Surveying afterward some pieces of those disks were 10 feet from the trash basket I broke them over...very easy to spot because they're like mirrors.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:55 pm

The Pantry wrote:Been dinking with non-keypunch computing/computers about 30 years. Did IT work years ago. Built maybe 40 desktops spec'd for CAD work and 10 others for friends from components.

Have seen dis-assembled hard drives before...the actual disks containing the data. Never really thought about what they are made of until today.

My 4 year old home Dell laptop died last December. Was able to copy all the pertinent stuff before it officially croaked. Came across it today while doing some house cleaning and decided was time to pitch it. Took the hard drive out. My trusty toolbox has a set of very small Torx's bits. Was able to take the entire drive apart with the T3.

Two small disks in my hand. They sorta looked like plastic. Gripped them with two sets of channel locks and attempted bending to destroy them. Immediately exploded into what seemed like shrapnel.

Wasn't wearing safety glass, thinking they'd bend before breaking. Piece of one disc hit me on the cheek just below the right eye...no damage. Surveying afterward some pieces of those disks were 10 feet from the trash basket I broke them over...very easy to spot because they're like mirrors.

What are they made of?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:13 pm

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Been dinking with non-keypunch computing/computers about 30 years.  Did IT work years ago.  Built maybe 40 desktops spec'd for CAD work and 10 others for friends from components.

Have seen dis-assembled hard drives before...the actual disks containing the data.  Never really thought about what they are made of until today.

My 4 year old home Dell laptop died last December. Was able to copy all the pertinent stuff before it officially croaked.  Came across it today while doing some house cleaning and decided was time to pitch it.  Took the hard drive out.  My trusty toolbox has a set of very small Torx's bits.  Was able to take the entire drive apart with the T3.

Two small disks in my hand.  They sorta looked like plastic.  Gripped them with two sets of channel locks and attempted bending to destroy them.  Immediately exploded into what seemed like shrapnel.  

Wasn't wearing safety glass, thinking they'd bend before breaking.  Piece of one disc hit me on the cheek just below the right eye...no damage.  Surveying afterward some pieces of those disks were 10 feet from the trash basket I broke them over...very easy to spot because they're like mirrors.

What are they made of?
From what I looked up, most desktop drive disks are made of aluminum substrate.  Laptop drive disks are made of glass substrate.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 am

In the California wild there are certain redwood trees which cannot produce chlorophyll and have white needles instead of green. They are known as albino redwoods, and there are approximately 400 known to exist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino_redwood
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Yesterday I learned new respect for raw pineapple.

Freddie's had them on sale 2/$1 and I like one cut up for a meal now and then. After I ate one for lunch my mouth was burning like hell. Consulting the interwebs I found out why - I'd not been as diligent as usual about trimming the core out and paid the price:

"There's a scientific reason why fresh pineapple burns your tongue, and no, the answer is not (always) allergies. Many people feel a tingling, sometimes-burning sensation when they bite into fresh pineapple, and lots of them—incorrectly—chalk up the feeling to the fruit's acid content. The real reason why your mouth burns when you eat pineapple is because of the presence of "active protein-digesting enzymes that are used in meat tenderizers, but can cause problems in other prepared dishes," and your own mouth, writes Harold McGee in On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. That's why some people wonder if pineapple is a flesh-eating fruit."

TL:DR - the core of a pineapple contains a meat tenderizer.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:31 am

Posted as a public service for the youngsters here to learn something:

PS - I find the gloved hand on the shifter kinda sexy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 am

About...

THAT TIME AN ASTRONAUT LOST HIS WEDDING RING IN SPACE
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:38 am

....this 1958 boy band included a future rock star.

Who is it & which one in the picture?

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 32087810

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:41 pm

I cheated on that one, Goose. Never saw it coming when I found the answer.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:43 pm

I actually knew that is was Farrokh Bulsara in the middle.

aka Freddie Mercury
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Never saw it coming when I found the answer.

New rule in Michigan. Insurance companies do not want you to know.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:13 am

An employer in Michigan has no legal obligation to allow employees breaks or lunch periods unless they are under 18.

My nurse wife has been working 12+ hr shifts with no "lunch"... always assumed that was illegal, guess not...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am

....that some sports parents are very creative.

Illinois parent accused of wearing referee uniform to son's playoff game to influence outcome, suit says

The parent of a Nazareth player allegedly wore the referee uniform and was involved in calls the referees made during the game even though he wasn’t a part of the crew on Nov. 10. The father in question is accused of speaking to the officials in a spot where only referees are supposed to be, the Chicago Tribune reported, citing the lawsuit.

The father also allegedly took credit for doing “what was needed to make sure (Nazareth Academy) won,” the newspaper reported, citing screenshots from a Facebook thread. The father also allegedly said in a separate comment, “I didn’t make one bad call. I made sure the best team won.”
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:59 am

It's always good to know your anatomy  
I always wondered where Nigel got his name...tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 502811600
[tw]1064586874319265793[/tw]
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

TIL the singer Chris Isaac played a SWAT commander in the movie (or was it a film?) Silence of the Lambs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:11 pm

If your phone is logged into a google account and you can't find it, go to google.com on your laptop/other device and type "find my phone" Shocked
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Nordic, thank you kind Sir. Gave it a test and it works perfectly!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 am

TiL what Cameron is getting for Christmas...

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 Steve10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 am

TIL about Green Monday. Not really. WTF is it?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:57 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:TIL about Green Monday. Not really. WTF is it?

More brainwashing to drive consumer spending.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:09 am

GreenWay prefers blue Tuesday.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 am

LooseGoose wrote:

Makes sense.

Turtleneck wrote:

Go figure.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:50 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Wait til I introduce you to Wet Willie Wednesday, Cherry Belly Thursday, and Why Are You Hitting Yourself? Friday.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:51 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Makes sense.

Turtleneck wrote:

Go figure.

Et tu, Floyd? tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 4177874726
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Et tu, Floyd? tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 6 4177874726

It's just a joke. OK, it's a stupid joke.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:46 am

[tw]1072528153170624515[/tw]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm

[tw]1089284504043307008[/tw]

I would have pegged the odds of a Neil Young / Rick James connection at infinitely infinitesimal until today.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Carhartt is from Detroit.

Carhartt: A Worldwide Standard Born In Detroit
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:06 am

Ginormous is actually now in the dictionary.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:Ginormous is actually now in the dictionary.

Thanks to Elf.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri May 31, 2019 3:21 pm

TIL the head and neck of a tom turkey changes colors, especially during mating season. If the head of a tom is red, it’s stressed. If it’s blue, you might want to watch your cornhole, because that bird is ready for some slap & tickle.

The tops of male turkeys are not only colorful, but highly variable. While males normally have almost no feathers on their heads, when it comes time to breed, the colors on their noggins can change between red, white and blue — sometimes within seconds, according to the National Wild Turkey Federation.Nov 23, 2014
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri May 31, 2019 3:24 pm

tGreenWay wrote:TIL the head and neck of a tom turkey changes colors, especially during mating season. If the head of a tom is red, it’s stressed. If it’s blue, you might want to watch your cornhole, because that bird is ready for some slap & tickle.

The tops of male turkeys are not only colorful, but highly variable. While males normally have almost no feathers on their heads, when it comes time to breed, the colors on their noggins can change between red, white and blue — sometimes within seconds, according to the National Wild Turkey Federation.Nov 23, 2014
I had a cousin we called "Turkey Noggin" - when he'd tilt his head a certain way, his dentures would resonate against the mountain breeze and you could almost make out "Amarillo by Morning" by George Strait.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri May 31, 2019 3:27 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:TIL the head and neck of a tom turkey changes colors, especially during mating season. If the head of a tom is red, it’s stressed. If it’s blue, you might want to watch your cornhole, because that bird is ready for some slap & tickle.

I had a cousin we called "Turkey Noggin" - when he'd tilt his head a certain way, his dentures would resonate against the mountain breeze and you could almost make out "Amarillo by Morning" by George Strait.

Your cousin was in TV?

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next