Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-14, 21:10

Rocinante wrote:Now I get to learn what it feels like to tell a kid her chicken died was delicious.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-17, 01:15

Today I learned that koolkid premium posters call western movies "oaters."
Oaters
n. Slang
A movie about frontier or cowboy life; a western.
[From the prominence of horses, known for their taste for oats, in such films.]
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-17, 04:50

tGreenWay wrote:Today I learned that koolkid premium posters call western movies "oaters."
Oaters
n. Slang
A movie about frontier or cowboy life; a western.
[From the prominence of horses, known for their taste for oats, in such films.]

I learned that long time ago by doing Freep crossword puzzles.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-25, 17:50

TIL that on this date in 1959, an Air Force pilot from Michigan flew his bomber under the Mackinac Bridge, a stunt that cost him his wings but not his military career.
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/04/michigan_air_force_pilot_flew.html
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-25, 17:59

tGreenWay wrote:TIL that on this date in 1959, an Air Force pilot from Michigan flew his bomber under the Mackinac Bridge, a stunt that cost him his wings but not his military career.
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/04/michigan_air_force_pilot_flew.html

I learner that yesterday.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-04-25, 18:16

Yeah, i just saw it on Facebook but didn't look at the publishing date. I forgot that fb doesn't run feeds in real time, but will bring you up to date on friends posts even if the info is a little older. Anyway, I did learn of this today, so that makes it only half fake news, since the anniversary was the 24th.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-27, 15:34

Michael Beschloss‏Verified account @BeschlossDC 2m2 minutes ago
More
Ulysses Grant (facing 2nd from left, on bench, in 1864) was born 195 years ago today:

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 C-cV-h0XUAA1_YL
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-05, 09:43

I don't remember this - I feel young.

Michael Beschloss‏Verified account @BeschlossDC 1h1 hour ago
Launch from Cape Canaveral of Freedom 7, with Alan Shepard, first American in space, today 1961: #NASA

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 C_D_C2bXcAA_E_5
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-05, 12:45

World News Tonight  20 seconds ago
For first time ever, more than half of U.S. homes have cellphone service only and no landline phones, study shows.
tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 C_E8Q5kXYAAZ-ib
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-05, 13:15

I learned that some still care about what Bullough did. I also learned that he is still in the NFL.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-05, 13:50

That I work with a bunch of petty assholes.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-05, 13:50

I'm lying, I knew that already. I was just reminded again of it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-05, 14:45

TIL there's a women's haircut called a Bob.
"Look, she's wearing the Bob I told her she should get!"
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-05, 14:49

I also learned today there's a bridge in Scotland where, since the 50s/60s, about once a year a dog commits suicide by leaping over the side to its death 50' below.

Overtoun Bridge
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtoun_Bridge
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-05, 16:43

You didn't know there was a bob haircut? How dumb are you, Greenway?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-05, 19:57

Apparently, your questions aren't mutually exclusive, but to answer you directly: No, I don't pay attention to the names of women's haircuts, nor men's, for that matter. To answer your follow-up question: Very.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-05, 19:59

I take it back. I had a butch haircut as a little kid, and I remember in the 90s there was a big to-do about Jennifer Aniston's haircut called the Rachel. But, still very dumb.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-06, 16:47

The first recorded sighting of Halley’s comet was in 240BC.

Over the next few mornings you might see remnants of Halley's last pass 30 years ago, called Eta Aquarids, light up the sky.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-05-08, 11:31

that the Japanese were far more freaked out about the Soviet army swarming them than either of the two atomic bombs dropped on them.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-08, 11:45

Floyd Robertson wrote: World News Tonight  20 seconds ago
For first time ever, more than half of U.S. homes have cellphone service only and no landline phones, study shows.

My house doesn't even have wiring for a land line.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-08, 11:58

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

My house doesn't even have wiring for a land line.

Mine doesn't either, but that's a long story.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-08, 12:07

Houses not even wired for phones....like that's new. We were doing that in Oscoda County 40 years ago.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-08, 12:10

LooseGoose wrote:Houses not even wired for phones....like that's new.   We were doing that in Oscoda County 40 years ago.

How are Oscodans at the switchboard even getting paid?

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 Operators
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-08, 12:29

Dropped the landline maybe 9-10 years ago after getting my youngest a cell phone.

Kind of amazing how things have progressed. Remember having a party line up at cottage.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-05-08, 12:43

The Pantry wrote:Dropped the landline maybe 9-10 years ago after getting my youngest a cell phone.

Kind of amazing how things have progressed. Remember having a party line up at cottage.

I remember as a kid only having to dial the last 4 digits of a phone number if you were just calling someone in town, lol. and this was the 80's. (mall town)
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-08, 12:54

I remember calling the time lady.

"At the tone the time will be.."
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-08, 13:06

On the subject of phones, have been weirded out by calls I've been getting since Friday. People I know out of state are all in my contacts and ID'ed. When I get a call from out of state that's not recognized I never answer. Figure if it's legit they will leave a message. If they call twice without leaving a message I block the number.

Got 6 calls on Friday from the same number with a 598 area code. After looking up there is no US 598 area code. 598 is a country code for Uruguay. Blocked it but then got calls from a private number I can't block. Didn't answer those either. No message.

No calls from either number Friday or Saturday, but today there are two calls in the log from the 598# that did not ring and two calls from the private number. Answered the last one and they hung immediately.

Whoever it is is pissing me off. Going to call ATT to see what can be done.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-05-08, 13:24

DWags wrote:I remember calling the time lady.

"At the tone the time will be.."

there used to be a joke line too. I remember finding it in the front of the phone book (remember those?) right in the same column with the time number, weather number, and the other info numbers you could call in and use.

I would call that joke number every day pretty much. holy shit were they lame....but the dude on the recording would laugh his fargin' ass off after telling them and that would make it awesome. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 502811600
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-08, 13:55

Pantry, what if that Uruguay caller was some kidnapped little girl who stole and hid a phone from her captors and keeps hitting redial? She thinks she's calling her mommy and daddy but didn't realize she misdialed? She's gonna die thinking mommy and daddy dont love her anymore and it's all because you didn't want to answer a call from a number that pissed you off. That's a heavy burden to shoulder for the rest of your life when all you had to do was answer the goddamn phone.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-08, 14:34

tGreenWay wrote:Pantry, what if that Uruguay caller was some kidnapped little girl who stole and hid a phone from her captors and keeps hitting redial? She thinks she's calling her mommy and daddy but didn't realize she misdialed? She's gonna die thinking mommy and daddy dont love her anymore and it's all because you didn't want to answer a call from a number that pissed you off. That's a heavy burden to shoulder for the rest of your life when all you had to do was answer the goddamn phone.
Seriously. Only person I know that has been to Uruguay is my ex-SIL. Owned a travel agency and has been pretty much everywhere. Still in the travel business and will dart out of the country on a whim. First person I thought of.

Called her cell a little while ago to see where she's at and it went to voicemail. She texted back she was at a funeral and would call later.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-08, 15:04

Was it the funeral of the little girl whose calls you refused to take?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-05-08, 15:14

tGreenWay wrote:Was it the funeral of the little girl whose calls you refused to take?
tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 502811600
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-05-08, 15:51

The Pantry wrote:On the subject of phones, have been weirded out by calls I've been getting since Friday. People I know out of state are all in my contacts and ID'ed. When I get a call from out of state that's not recognized I never answer. Figure if it's legit they will leave a message. If they call twice without leaving a message I block the number.

Got 6 calls on Friday from the same number with a 598 area code. After looking up there is no US 598 area code. 598 is a country code for Uruguay. Blocked it but then got calls from a private number I can't block. Didn't answer those either. No message.

No calls from either number Friday or Saturday, but today there are two calls in the log from the 598# that did not ring and two calls from the private number. Answered the last one and they hung immediately.

Whoever it is is pissing me off. Going to call ATT to see what can be done.
Keep an eye on your bill. There are scams involving this kind of thing. Sometimes it's to get you to call back, as a lot of people will see missed calls and call back. But the scam is that the number acts like a 900 number, and can charge you huge fees if you call it back (sounds like you just answered, and didn't call back, though). I thought I remember hearing about another scam where they can call you and then reverse the charges if you answer, or somehow use the "line" that you opened up by answering, to bill you for other overseas calls.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-05-08, 15:52

Man you guys are old as balls.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-05-08, 16:04

Ok, first of all, why the fuck is the Centers for Disease Control tracking our phone usage (are those black helicopters, I hear)?

In any event, I guess I probably count as one of these, as I don't have a traditional landline. But I have MagicJack (a VOIP service). $35/year and got to keep my old landline number, which keeps the junk calls to our cell phones down, and allows to occasionally use it to call some place that we don't want to have our personal number. We're on the do not call list, but there enough bullshit sales calls that are opt-in or otherwise don't fall under the Do Not Call list (i.e., car dealers when we sent out some online quote requests, AT&T trying to beg us to come back, Comcast trying to upsell us, supermodels wanting a booty call....you know, the usual stuff). Highly recommend it to anyone that wants a number to give out to certain things other than your cell.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-08, 16:06

tGreenWay wrote:Was it the funeral of the little girl whose calls you refused to take?
dick
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-08, 16:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Ok, first of all, why the fuck is the Centers for Disease Control tracking our phone usage (are those black helicopters, I hear)?

In any event, I guess I probably count as one of these, as I don't have a traditional landline.  But I have MagicJack (a VOIP service).  $35/year and got to keep my old landline number, which keeps the junk calls to our cell phones down, and allows to occasionally use it to call some place that we don't want to have our personal number.  We're on the do not call list, but there enough bullshit sales calls that are opt-in or otherwise don't fall under the Do Not Call list (i.e., car dealers when we sent out some online quote requests, AT&T trying to beg us to come back, Comcast trying to upsell us, supermodels wanting a booty call....you know, the usual stuff).  Highly recommend it to anyone that wants a number to give out to certain things other than your cell.

I always wondered if the Magic Jack actually worked or those infomercials were full of shit.

As far as where the CDC is getting that data, you got me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2017-05-08, 16:17

The Pantry wrote:
dick

he's not the one that didn't take the call. that was you. hope you can live with yourself.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-05-08, 16:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

In any event, I guess I probably count as one of these, as I don't have a traditional landline.  But I have MagicJack (a VOIP service).  $35/year and got to keep my old landline number, which keeps the junk calls to our cell phones down, and allows to occasionally use it to call some place that we don't want to have our personal number.  We're on the do not call list, but there enough bullshit sales calls that are opt-in or otherwise don't fall under the Do Not Call list (i.e., car dealers when we sent out some online quote requests, AT&T trying to beg us to come back, Comcast trying to upsell us, supermodels wanting a booty call....you know, the usual stuff).  Highly recommend it to anyone that wants a number to give out to certain things other than your cell.

I always wondered if the Magic Jack actually worked or those infomercials were full of shit.

As far as where the CDC is getting that data, you got me.
I had always wondered that, too. But we had so many problems with AT&T, we didn't have anything to lose. I can't speak to the call quality, other than the messages left by various sales people sound fine. When it first came out, I think you had to leave it plugged into your computer and your computer on, but now it's just a dongle that plugs into an ethernet port of your router.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-05-08, 18:35

@ Pantry tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 3 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next