Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The political hodge podge thread

+20
CheesySpartan
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
steveschneider
AnomanderRake
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
The_Dude
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Blanch32
xsanguine
DWags
GRR Spartan
24 posters

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by DWags Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 13:01

LooseGoose wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Was Dunkirk Fake News?
1967 riots Fake News?
Tet Offensive Fake News?

We have a liar in The White House who authorized televising a cabinet meeting that appeared scripted so he could hear his appointees praise him. I'm s that because he's new to the job of President too?

And now we have the normalviolence from the left in VA - shooting an R congressman.

Wow.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 13:40

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

And now we have the normalviolence from the left in VA - shooting an R congressman.

Wow.

it's gotten to anything to make a point.

When do folks stop using Fake News as a way to minimize or disregard events or people.

A guy with a gun and dozens of rounds drove 13 hours/ 800 miles to try to kill people.

It's real news. Real people were shot.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 14:12

Since my last post, was the last post of the thread, and maybe WOP didn't see it. Is banning LG a site wide ban, or is it only for this forum? I don't necessarily agree with his politics at all, but 2 weeks is a bit harsh, especially if its for the whole site.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 14:15

InTenSity wrote:Since my last post, was the last post of the thread, and maybe WOP didn't see it. Is banning LG a site wide ban, or is it only for this forum? I don't necessarily agree with his politics at all, but 2 weeks is a bit harsh, especially if its for the whole site.

It's side wide. That's the only kind of ban we can do. As far as I know at least.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 14:29

InTenSity wrote:Since my last post, was the last post of the thread, and maybe WOP didn't see it. Is banning LG a site wide ban, or is it only for this forum? I don't necessarily agree with his politics at all, but 2 weeks is a bit harsh, especially if its for the whole site.

Goose's comments were over the line. I warned him once specifically, and once again to everyone on the main board. It was offensive beyond what is typically discussed on this board. I banned him as long as other trolls have been banned for, which is two weeks.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 15:24

Goose is banned? Whoa. I saw his first comment. What did he post a second time to get the hammer?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 15:35

tGreenWay wrote:Goose is banned? Whoa. I saw his first comment. What did he post a second time to get the hammer?

Except that I turned out to be absolutely right. I've been pointing out the left wing violence for months now. You cannot whip these idiots into a frenzy and expect nothing to happen. The Dem leaders - Schumer, Pelosi, Warren, Sanders, Perez need to look themselves in the mirror and ask if this is what they want as they promote a coup against Trump.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 15:54

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Goose is banned? Whoa. I saw his first comment. What did he post a second time to get the hammer?

Except that I turned out to be absolutely right. I've been pointing out the left wing violence for months now. You cannot whip these idiots into a frenzy and expect nothing to happen. The Dem leaders - Schumer, Pelosi, Warren, Sanders, Perez need to look themselves in the mirror and ask if this is what they want as they promote a coup against Trump.

Thanks.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 16:18

Hey InTenSity,

Full transparency here. I was talking with the other mods (Travis) and two weeks is in fact too harsh for a first offense. I've asked Heat or SRC to reduce the length to a day.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 16:30

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Hey InTenSity,

Full transparency here. I was talking with the other mods (Travis) and two weeks is in fact too harsh for a first offense. I've asked Heat or SRC to reduce the length to a day.
The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 969504605
I think this hurt your chances of getting some pie though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 16:34

Remember when I banned turtleneck for a day?

Best day the swill ever had.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 16:41

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Remember when I banned turtleneck for a day?

Best day the swill ever had.
He never came back. Except that one time you left the wifi on.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 16:43

InTenSity wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Hey InTenSity,

The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 969504605
I think this hurt your chances of getting some pie though.

The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 Sad_face_pie
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 18:06

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Hey InTenSity,

So you fucked up. Really screwed the pooch. Again. You probably made it so I couldnt quote other posters, too. Can't you do anything right?
The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2809484752 The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2809484752 The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 18:15

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Hey InTenSity,

So you fucked up. Really screwed the pooch. Again. You probably made it so I couldnt quote other posters, too. Can't you do anything right?
The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2809484752 The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2809484752 The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2809484752

Talking shit to a guy that just banned someone for 2 weeks? Bold strategy.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 14 Jun 2017 - 20:45

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Talking shit to a guy that just banned someone for 2 weeks? Bold strategy.

Mods, please ban Pylon for threatening me. The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2275418548 The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 5:44

Serious question as I've done a lot of traveling lately for work. Where in the hell do people have the time to call into conservative radio shows in the middle of the day? They wait 30 minutes and then make a 30 second point. I guess it's just like sport's talk radio, but my God what a waste of time.

Also I'm 99 percent certain Lars is John McCullough who does a one hour show from 5 to 6 on the Patriot. They both say some crazy stuff.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 7:50

msugolfguy wrote:Serious question as I've done a lot of traveling lately for work. Where in the hell do people have the time to call into conservative radio shows in the middle of the day? They wait 30 minutes and then make a 30 second point. I guess it's just like sport's talk radio, but my God what a waste of time.

Also I'm 99 percent certain Lars is John McCullough who does a one hour show from 5 to 6 on the Patriot. They both say some crazy stuff.
angry right wing nuts are generally old, white folks who have nothing productive to do but sit around and whine about the government.. which they're very likely living off of.

they only have contempt for the government when it helps.. "those people"...
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 11:20

In truth, I think everyone bears some responsibility for what happened. It sounds like the guy was disturbed, but not incapable of rational thought. There is a toxicity of discourse that needs to stop. The leaders on the left need to embrace where the energy is coming from instead of sticking to their corporatists bullshit and shunning progressives as "pie in the sky." The rank and file left need to tone down the violent rhetoric. You can be aggressively on-message without calling for people's heads. The right leadership needs to do the same: Stop tacitly endorsing the racism, misogyny, and xenophobia of the alt-right. Stop avoiding constituents that don't agree with them. Avoiding them fosters mistrust and anger and increases the chance that some fringe person like this goes over the edge. Then we have a self-fulfilling prophecy. The alt-right, Fox news, the right media juggernaut in general need to just shut the fuck up. They are the root of this problem. Fox and roger ailes is where this tribalism started. It sickens me. We all can do better.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 11:29

Rocinante wrote:In truth, I think everyone bears some responsibility for what happened.  It sounds like the guy was disturbed, but not incapable of rational thought.  There is a toxicity of discourse that needs to stop.  The leaders on the left need to embrace where the energy is coming from instead of sticking to their corporatists bullshit and shunning progressives as "pie in the sky."  The rank and file left need to tone down the violent rhetoric.  You can be aggressively on-message without calling for people's heads.  The right leadership needs to do the same:  Stop tacitly endorsing the racism, misogyny, and xenophobia of the alt-right.  Stop avoiding constituents that don't agree with them.  Avoiding them fosters mistrust and anger and increases the chance that some fringe person like this goes over the edge.  Then we have a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The alt-right, Fox news, the right media juggernaut in general need to just shut the fuck up.  They are the root of this problem.  Fox and roger ailes is where this tribalism started.  It sickens me.  We all can do better.

I'm actually shocked by the level of viciousness.

sincerely,

Ivanka Trump - daughter of racist, bigoted admitted sexual predator, mocker of the disabled.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 11:33

But in the end, Bob, it doesn't matter where it started, or that our president is so openly corrupt that it is shocking and infuriating. We live in a society and need to take responsibility for the energy we put out. We can oppose the president without encouraging (openly or not) violence.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 11:43

Rocinante wrote:But in the end, Bob, it doesn't matter where it started, or that our president is so openly corrupt that it is shocking and infuriating.  We live in a society and need to take responsibility for the energy we put out.  We can oppose the president without encouraging (openly or not) violence.
I agree completely.

But I think the road to redemption as a country starts with the president - who openly advocates for violence at his rallies, suggests that someone shoot his opponent, etc.

trust me - I want a leader that I can admire, even if I disagree with him/her. But it's hard to admire someone who is corrupt, violent and has an open and blatant disregard for America, women, minorities and basically anyone unlike him.

starts at the top, dude. And the republicans and mainstream media can whine all they want - but they own the House, the Senate and the White House - it's time for them to act like it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 11:49

from Twitter:

Pete Souza‏ @PeteSouza

Here's a suggestion for Congressional baseball game: co-mingle the teams instead of Dems vs GOP
think about that for a second - in this time of "healing" or whatever.. while everyone is sending out their thoughts and prayers. How cool would it be if this actually happened?

but do you think it will happen? Heck no - imagine the tone on the right wing hate radio shows and the mainstream media if something - even something symbolic such as this - happened? It would be a total feeding frenzy.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 12:08

here's the mainstream media last night:

Fox News‏Verified account @FoxNews

.@seanhannity: When Democrats continue to dehumanize Republicans...the climate around the country becomes more than toxic.

The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 502811600  The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 502811600  The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 13:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:from Twitter:

Pete Souza‏ @PeteSouza

Here's a suggestion for Congressional baseball game: co-mingle the teams instead of Dems vs GOP
think about that for a second - in this time of "healing" or whatever.. while everyone is sending out their thoughts and prayers. How cool would it be if this actually happened?

but do you think it will happen? Heck no - imagine the tone on the right wing hate radio shows and the mainstream media if something - even something symbolic such as this - happened? It would be a total feeding frenzy.

Are you The Swill's new twitter guy?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 13:55

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:from Twitter:

Are you The Swill's new twitter guy?  
in Goose's absence, I attended a brief online copy/paste tutorial..

so, in a word.. sort of.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 14:10

From the Dept. of You cant make this shit up: The Texas pastor who demonized Obama has called for people to stop demonizing Republicans.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/pastor-who-demonized-obama-as-the-antichrist-calls-for-end-to-political-demonization-of-republicans/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 15:13

Yeah but in his defense, Obama is black.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 15:13

tGreenWay wrote:From the Dept. of You cant make this shit up: The Texas pastor who demonized Obama has called for people to stop demonizing Republicans.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/pastor-who-demonized-obama-as-the-antichrist-calls-for-end-to-political-demonization-of-republicans/
he's falling in line with the sexual predator and his quest for loyalty.. like his poor little snowflake daughter who was {gasp} shocked at the "level of viciousness" some people have.. and one of his other pathetic offsprings from one of his other wives.. saying that Democrats aren't even people...

pretty funny to watch the christians come completely unglued as it relates to the admiration for the sexual predator.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 16:40

Rocinante wrote:Yeah but in his defense, Obama is black.

I just checked and you're right. Holy fuck!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 16:54

tGreenWay wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Yeah but in his defense, Obama is black.

I just checked and you're right. Holy fuck!

The political hodge podge thread - Page 18 Giphy
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 9:05

I've only watched maybe 5 minutes of this, but damn, I wish today's interviews were respectful as this. I know, they'll never be like this again, and I'm not talking about the cigarette smoking.

I posted this here because Wallace and Wright get into some pretty heavy political discussion. And there's no yelling or bias on Wallace's part. It's amazing! Also, Frank Lloyd Wright was a smart mother fucker.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 14:51

Sounds like the US is back to being tough on Cuba.

What's the desired outcome? The Cuban government that's managed to stay in power for over 50 years is going to throw up its hands and return to 1950's style Cuba where the US backed dictator Batista had cozy relationships with the islands wealthiest residents?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 15:58

GRR Spartan wrote:Sounds like the US is back to being tough on Cuba.

What's the desired outcome? The Cuban government that's managed to stay in power for over 50 years is going to throw up its hands and return to 1950's style Cuba where the US backed dictator Batista had cozy relationships with the islands wealthiest residents?

IT'S NOT A GOOD ENOUGH DEAL FOR AMERICA. IF I CAN GET US A BETTER DEAL? GREAT! IF NOT, THAT'S OKAY TOO!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 16:03

GRR Spartan wrote:Sounds like the US is back to being tough on Cuba.

It's not nearly as complicated as that.

Obama did it so it's bad.

That's it. No other deep thought there.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 16:14

This one and the Tamir Rice case in Cleveland were the most obvious police murders I've seen in recent years, and neither was punished. It disgusts me that they are allowed to literally get away with murder. I don't even know what it would take anymore. Maybe a video, that's made public, where the officer says "hey I'm going to murder you now." Lacking that, we just have to accept that we live in a police state.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/police-officer-found-not-guilty-in-the-fatal-shooting-of?utm_term=.uyeM5jk3z&bftwnews#.oxvp4X61w
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 16:46

That is pretty unbelievable, but drugs probably tipped the scales.
I don't know how anyone can say that isn't cruel and unusual punishment for the crime committed (breaklight). However I'm open to suggestions.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 16:52

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This one and the Tamir Rice case in Cleveland were the most obvious police murders I've seen in recent years, and neither was punished. It disgusts me that they are allowed to literally get away with murder. I don't even know what it would take anymore. Maybe a video, that's made public, where the officer says "hey I'm going to murder you now." Lacking that, we just have to accept that we live in a police state.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/police-officer-found-not-guilty-in-the-fatal-shooting-of?utm_term=.uyeM5jk3z&bftwnews#.oxvp4X61w

Some of us more than others, depending on skin color. But yeah, government sanctioned murder.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 16:55

msugolfguy wrote: That is pretty unbelievable, but drugs probably tipped the scales.
I don't know how anyone can say that isn't cruel and unusual punishment for the crime committed (breaklight). However I'm open to suggestions.

It's just pure lunacy that the NRA and such will tell you that the first thing you should do if you are pulled over while carrying a gun is to tell the officer you're carrying a gun. So, he did that, but the moment he did his fate was sealed. This cop is a chicken shit coward who murdered a guy because he was trying to get his wallet. There is no excuse in the world for that. He belongs in prison. Period.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 17:04

Pretty sure the law in Michigan says the driver has to immediately inform the officer that he's carrying.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next