Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme

+26
SawGreen
StylesGShmooth
Watch Out Pylon!
MSU addict
Jake from State Farm
aualum06
MiamiSpartan
Space Lord
Tim Wakefield
Herbie Green
MattyFresh
WhiteBoyHatcher
Frank Ricard
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
Nordic
steveschneider
InTenSity
Death Roe
Clarett's Folly
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
tGreenWay
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
30 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 6 Empty Re: NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-09-28, 16:06

For the record - I don't doubt that they cover UofM more. I doubt that there is some sort of hidden agenda. Like addict said - they play to their audience and majority of the state are Michigan fans.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 6 Empty Re: NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-28, 16:09

The solution to the problem is simpler than basketball academies at 14. It just requires buy in from David Silver or Adam Silver or Mel Silver or whatever his name is and the NBA owners.

Expand the draft, expand the G league, make contracts guaranteed, get rid of current early entry rule, make it 18 or HS graduate. Oh and make a rule that if you enroll in college you can't declare for the draft until after 3rd or 4th year.

Done.

Kids who want to get paid and don't care about college can go and get drafted and paid and develop in the G league or in the Association if they're ready. Kids who want to be college students can go to college and play there.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-09-28, 16:15

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The solution to the problem is simpler than basketball academies at 14. It just requires buy in from David Silver or Adam Silver or Mel Silver or whatever his name is and the NBA owners.

Expand the draft, expand the G league, make contracts guaranteed, get rid of current early entry rule, make it 18 or HS graduate. Oh and make a rule that if you enroll in college you can't declare for the draft until after 3rd or 4th year.

Done.

Kids who want to get paid and don't care about college can go and get drafted and paid and develop in the G league or in the Association if they're ready. Kids who want to be college students can go to college and play there.

^ this guy fucks, and gets it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-09-28, 17:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The solution to the problem is simpler than basketball academies at 14. It just requires buy in from David Silver or Adam Silver or Mel Silver or whatever his name is and the NBA owners.

Done.

While I'm in favor of this in theory, does it really change all that much? Yeah, it would prevent these bribe deals for very elite one and dones. But I'm not sure that it would clean up college basketball much.

For example, only so many players will get drafted or get the chance for the G league. So you're still talking about a lot of damn good basketball players going to college. And rabid college fanbases, big money TV, coaching pressure, recruiting pressure, etc. You'll have coaches trying to get players to come to them instead of going to the draft/g league. Still so many opportunities for it to be dirty in college.

And it's not the like the G league is something that would excite many players. Even if they made big money there, you're still playing in front of no one, with no one watching on TV, while those "lesser" players that went to college are getting all this ESPN time, then in the NCAA Tournament, with tens of thousands of screaming fans, tens of millions of TV viewers, and probably getting better coaching/development.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-28, 17:39

With tv contracts, shoe contracts and corporate sponsorship in the NCAA no way that happens.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-09-28, 18:02

The Latest: OK State fires assistant tied to hoops scandal

Lamont Evans
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-09-28, 18:10

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:I am surprised we haven't seen this headline yet:

"MSU basketball recruit accused of taking $100k bribe"

Just saw this in the freep and was going to post in response to ghost's post up above.

"Some schools — like Michigan — chose not to pursue one-and-done-type players because it demands navigating the muck.
And some schools — like Michigan State — eventually waded through it without much success, which is probably fortuitous considering a recruit they chased last winter, Saginaw's Brian Bowen, reportedly agreed to accept $100,000 from Adidas to sign with Louisville."

Guy is ignoring all the infractions UofM had in the 90s and is making them out to be a program with integrity and takes a few shots at MSU in the process.

That's complete horse shit. Michigan went after Mamba (2017).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-09-28, 18:30

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Just saw this in the freep and was going to post in response to ghost's post up above.

"Some schools — like Michigan — chose not to pursue one-and-done-type players because it demands navigating the muck.
And some schools — like Michigan State — eventually waded through it without much success, which is probably fortuitous considering a recruit they chased last winter, Saginaw's Brian Bowen, reportedly agreed to accept $100,000 from Adidas to sign with Louisville."

Guy is ignoring all the infractions UofM had in the 90s and is making them out to be a program with integrity and takes a few shots at MSU in the process.

"Some schools people — like Michigan me — chose not to pursue one-and-done-type players Kate Upton because it demands navigating the muck. letting her hot female model friends join us in bed.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-28, 19:23

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Exactly and Jaylen Brown. The article falsely claims Michigan never chose to go after one and dones and then states MSU chose to go after the one done like some other schools. Then he ventures a guess that through our failures of landing these one and done players we've probably saved our selves a lot of trouble which is also false. We've had two one and dones with Harris and Bridges, both chose to stay an extra year and both avoided issues. Windsor is a dumb ass.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-09-28, 19:47

gHost Spartan wrote:

Done.

It'll never happen. Why would a promising young basketball player choose to get paid like 35-50k a year playing hoops for the Quad City Queercorns and never be on TV when they can play big time college hoops have all their shit paid for each year and play in front of millions twice a week during the regular season and in the NCAA tournament. Makes no sense. Maybe a handful of kids would choose that over college but I doubt very many will. When was the last time anyone watched a D-League game on TV? Umm that's right, never....

You're assuming every thing stays the same with all these different variables changing, bro. Have you ever done a science experiment? Probably not. Stick to putting poor people behind bars.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-09-28, 20:16

gHost Spartan wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

You're assuming every thing stays the same with all these different variables changing, bro. Have you ever done a science experiment? Probably not. Stick to putting poor people behind bars.

LOL why u so angry dude? Just making a point.

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 6 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-09-28, 20:24

My father in law is a big Louisville basketball fan. He's actually glad this shit went down. He hated Petino. Might not be do happy if they get the death sentence hammer dropped on them.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-09-28, 20:29

This program better take a good long hard look at itself because what we have seen has been horsecrap.  This team smells.  Clean it up and let me breathe
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-28, 20:56

gHost Spartan wrote:

Done.

It'll never happen. Why would a promising young basketball player choose to get paid like 35-50k a year playing hoops for the Quad City Queercorns and never be on TV when they can play big time college hoops have all their shit paid for each year and play in front of millions twice a week during the regular season and in the NCAA tournament. Makes no sense. Maybe a handful of kids would choose that over college but I doubt very many will. When was the last time anyone watched a D-League game on TV? Umm that's right, never....

Who says they're getting paid 50k? They are getting drafted by an NBA team and getting market paid. I'm not talking about making the draft 15 rounds, but maybe 4 or 5. I'm guessing teams would be willing to invest a couple hundred thousand annually on a promising but raw 18 year old (as long as it didn't count against the cap) to see and help him develop under their guidance for a couple of years. If not more.

You expand the draft by 3 rounds and that's an additional 90 kids/Euros that could be drafted and playing professionally for an NBA team or their G league squad.

And G league games might become entertaining. I'd watch (if I could gamble on them)
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-09-28, 22:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Who says they're getting paid 50k? They are getting drafted by an NBA team and getting market paid. I'm not talking about making the draft 15 rounds, but maybe 4 or 5. I'm guessing teams would be willing to invest a couple hundred thousand annually on a promising but raw 18 year old (as long as it didn't count against the cap) to see and help him develop under their guidance for a couple of years. If not more.

You expand the draft by 3 rounds and that's an additional 90 kids/Euros that could be drafted and playing professionally for an NBA team or their G league squad.

And G league games might become entertaining. I'd watch (if I could gamble on them)
No one going to go to games or watch. To expect that is the biggest leap of faith at all. And without significant TV/ticket revenue how much can you really justify putting into salaries for "potential" before it's not financially viable?

And college sports would be just as dirty, and agents and money would be even more prevalent around high school/AAU games.

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on 2017-09-28, 22:20; edited 1 time in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-28, 22:20

I understand that, G, but we're talking about changing the entire model. If you know the NBA/potential model, we know that an untapped, talented 18 year old prospect (i.e. Paul Davis or Kelvin Torbert) is viewed as infinitely more valuable than a 5th year grad transfer (i.e. Bryn Forbes) by NBA teams. Teams would be willing to pay a lot for younger talented prospects even if they may not see the floor for the big club for a couple of years.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-09-28, 22:21

This is not a vacuum.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-28, 22:22

MiamiSpartan wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

No one going to go to games or watch. To expect that is the biggest leap of faith at all. And without significant TV/ticket revenue how much can you really justify putting into salaries for "potential" before it's not financially viable?

And college sports would be just as dirty, and agents and money would be even more prevalent around high school/AAU games.

I disagree completely. With the 2nd part. Those agents are going to be involved with the top guys, who all are making the jump. The kids that are looking for $100k handouts are absolutely not the types who are going to elect to go to college for 3 years.

So the agents are gonna seek out the Matt Mcquaids of the world and filter them to KU/Duke/UK in exchange for handouts?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-09-28, 22:23

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I disagree completely. With the 2nd part. Those agents are going to be involved with the top guys, who all are making the jump. The kids that are looking for $100k handouts are absolutely not the types who are going to elect to go to college for 3 years.

So the agents are gonna seek out the Matt Mcquaids of the world and filter them to KU/Duke/UK in exchange for handouts?

Who the fuck is going to pay for a mcquaid?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-28, 22:51

Right.

And I guess Miami's bigger point would be that the agents would be involved at the AAU and HS level and already in with players. Kicking the can down the road in a sense. I'm not sure I care. AAU is a cesspool and I don't really give a shit about HS hoops. I care about college hoops and I enjoy the NBA product and for my .02 I don't think either would be negatively affected by this. Would college ball miss out on the top talents? Yep. I'm fine with that. I think the chemistry and continuity of having guys playing together and receiving coaching from the same coaches in the same systems for 3-4 years could only add to the quality of play.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-09-28, 23:01

Don't get comfortable Kansas
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-28, 23:24

Tempted to buy a pair of Adidas this weekend. All this mention of their brand in the sports section had me check out their latest offerings on their website. They make some great shit and I really want a pair of Adidas.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-09-29, 10:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

How many kids are you thinking would go to the NBA/G-league straight out of HS? You mentioned something about 90 additional draftees. It doesn't just go from Top 100 kids to Matt McQuaid. The schools will be fighting over what's left, and that will include a lot of damn good kids, that aren't idealistic about wanting an education, and would happily take a handout to go to a school of a particular booster. Unless you think college ball would just fall off the map, it would still be a gigantic money maker, with all of the pressures that go with it. More than half of college kids that get drafted in the NBA were 4 stars or less, so there are a lot of future NBA players that would never get drafted in 5 rounds. Maybe agents and shoe companies wouldn't be involved, but you'd still have the Ed Martins, Nevin Shapiros, and other booster willing to throw some $$$$$ to make their team the best in college.

I also think you'd have colleges competing against the draft for kids, and that's where the dirt could really get around college ball. Yeah, the Top 20-30, maybe a little more in each class would be no brainers for the draft. But what about kids that are more borderline for that. Still fantastic players, but maybe need a few years in the g-league. Or they could get paid by a booster to go to college and develop there.

tl;dnr: colleges will still have a lot of pressure in a big money sport and with fans demanding excellence. They'll be competing hard for the best of the rest, and also trying to entice kids to not enter the draft.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-09-29, 10:37

steveschneider wrote:Tempted to buy a pair of Adidas this weekend. All this mention of their brand in the sports section had me check out their latest offerings on their website. They make some great shit and I really want a pair of Adidas.

Adidas is dreadful, Steve.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-29, 11:30

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Tempted to buy a pair of Adidas this weekend. All this mention of their brand in the sports section had me check out their latest offerings on their website. They make some great shit and I really want a pair of Adidas.

Adidas is dreadful, Steve.

I like the Spezials. Looks the European ones are better than the ones in the US.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-06, 12:11

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB  40 minutes ago
Hearing more indictments are coming in college hoops. Expected to happen within the next two weeks, I'm told.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-06, 12:25

gHost Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote: Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB  40 minutes ago
Hearing more indictments are coming in college hoops. Expected to happen within the next two weeks, I'm told.

If I was Bill Self I'd take all my cash and GTFO

Agreed.

On a separate note.

Rick Pitino raked in 98% of the cash from University of Louisville's current Adidas deal

When University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich announced a new deal with athletic apparel giant Adidas on Aug. 25, a reporter asked him if some of the proceeds would be shared with the university.

“It’s for the athletic department,” Jurich replied. “It’s for these student-athletes. It’s been earmarked for them.”

In fact, under the current deal with Adidas, which expires July 1, 98 percent of the cash provided by Adidas goes to one person: Rick Pitino, the now-suspended head coach.

Seems kind of improper.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-10-06, 13:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Agreed.

On a separate note.

Rick Pitino raked in 98% of the cash from University of Louisville's current Adidas deal

When University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich announced a new deal with athletic apparel giant Adidas on Aug. 25, a reporter asked him if some of the proceeds would be shared with the university.

“It’s for the athletic department,” Jurich replied. “It’s for these student-athletes. It’s been earmarked for them.”

In fact, under the current deal with Adidas, which expires July 1, 98 percent of the cash provided by Adidas goes to one person: Rick Pitino, the now-suspended head coach.

Seems kind of improper.

"I think the real issue is where did that other 2% go?" - Pitino's attorney
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2017-10-06, 14:33

Floyd Robertson wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Agreed.

On a separate note.

Seems kind of improper.

Almost as bad as the Steve Spurrier deal, where he kept getting paid from it even after he quit.

https://thenerve.org/spurrier-still-profiting-from-under-armour-contract/
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-06, 14:37

gHost Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote: Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB  40 minutes ago

Not enough suitcases in Kansas for all those dollar Bills.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-11, 23:56

tGreenWay wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

FBI says it cannot release documents regarding KU involvement with Adidas

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, told the Kansan on Wednesday that it has documents related to the University of Kansas and its sponsorship with the Adidas apparel company, but cannot release them due to an ongoing legal investigation.

The presence of documents responsive to the Kansan’s request, filed on Sept. 27, does not necessarily implicate the University in wrongdoing, but appears to contradict what Kansas Athletics officials said after the scandal broke.

http://www.kansan.com/sports/fbi-says-it-cannot-release-documents-regarding-ku-involvement-with/article_af64a0ec-aeee-11e7-8c18-0b11a775fd20.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-12, 00:07

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

FBI says it cannot release documents regarding KU involvement with Adidas

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, told the Kansan on Wednesday that it has documents related to the University of Kansas and its sponsorship with the Adidas apparel company, but cannot release them due to an ongoing legal investigation.

The presence of documents responsive to the Kansan’s request, filed on Sept. 27, does not necessarily implicate the University in wrongdoing, but appears to contradict what Kansas Athletics officials said after the scandal broke.

http://www.kansan.com/sports/fbi-says-it-cannot-release-documents-regarding-ku-involvement-with/article_af64a0ec-aeee-11e7-8c18-0b11a775fd20.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Those cheats need to be exposed.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-10-12, 07:21

Oh boy oh boy oh boy
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-12, 07:46

Oh yes. Kansas is next...

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 6 Giphy
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-10-12, 08:17

NCAA Basketball Corruption Scheme - Page 6 Tenor
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-12, 08:47

I can't sit here and say I know Izzo is pure as the driven snow, but how many times do you think Izzo has lost a main recruit to these scum suckers?   You sat there and hoped that some kind of justice would prevail, but knew it never would happen.  It's frustrating to say the least.  We'll see if anything comes of this, but last year and getting your cord yanked by Kansas and super mom really kind of made you just shake your head at the corruption in college basketball.    I'm not holding my breath that any of this shit gets fixed.  The "Brand" names in basketball and football will always be winked at in my opinion.  Lets see what happens.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-12, 09:00

DWags wrote:I can't sit here and say I know Izzo is pure as the driven snow, but how many times do you think Izzo has lost a main recruit to these scum suckers?   You sat there and hoped that some kind of justice would prevail, but knew it never would happen.  It's frustrating to say the least.  We'll see if anything comes of this, but last year and getting your cord yanked by Kansas and super mom really kind of made you just shake your head at the corruption in college basketball.    I'm not holding my breath that any of this shit gets fixed.  The "Brand" names in basketball and football will always be winked at in my opinion.  Lets see what happens.

You could very well be right that nothing will happen. After all, did Capone going away for tax evasion really stop organized crime?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-12, 09:07

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:I can't sit here and say I know Izzo is pure as the driven snow, but how many times do you think Izzo has lost a main recruit to these scum suckers?   You sat there and hoped that some kind of justice would prevail, but knew it never would happen.  It's frustrating to say the least.  We'll see if anything comes of this, but last year and getting your cord yanked by Kansas and super mom really kind of made you just shake your head at the corruption in college basketball.    I'm not holding my breath that any of this shit gets fixed.  The "Brand" names in basketball and football will always be winked at in my opinion.  Lets see what happens.

You could very well be right that nothing will happen. After all, did Capone going away for tax evasion really stop organized crime?
Great example, and yeah, you are exactly right.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-10-12, 09:09

Cliff Alexander
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-10-12, 09:26

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Honestly, though, that would be fine with me. If Kansas, Duke, and UNC took a fall for shady recruiting practices but were replaced by Florida, Mizzou, and Maryland I'd be fine with it because at least it would be something different. I'm just sick of the "blue blood" programs acting like their allure is anything other than artificially inflated.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next