Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sounds like it's some sort of team - Engler & Blanchard for the interim.

+25
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
InTenSity
The Matador
Dendrobates
Da Mayor
WhiteBoyHatcher
Jake from State Farm
Other Teams Pursuing That
Wally Fairway
NigelUno
MattyFresh
SawGreen
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
Cameron
Dr. Strangelove
tGreenWay
I.B. Fine
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
29 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sounds like it's some sort of team - Engler & Blanchard for the interim. - Page 5 Empty Re: Sounds like it's some sort of team - Engler & Blanchard for the interim.

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-02-24, 07:50

I like that he mentions ESPN's own sexual misconduct issues, but mentions it along with FOX and NBC, so as not to stoop to ESPN's level.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Sounds like it's some sort of team - Engler & Blanchard for the interim. - Page 5 Empty Re: Sounds like it's some sort of team - Engler & Blanchard for the interim.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-24, 07:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:I like that he mentions ESPN's own sexual misconduct issues, but mentions it along with FOX and NBC, so as not to stoop to ESPN's level.
yep. Definitely seems to be saying/doing a lot of the right things.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-24, 08:21

MiamiSpartan wrote:I like that he mentions ESPN's own sexual misconduct issues, but mentions it along with FOX and NBC, so as not to stoop to ESPN's level.

It's a not so subtle reminder to ESPN that they're not dealing with the adjunct professor of Early Asian basket weaving.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-07, 07:26

New Engler appointee played historic role at MSU
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-07, 07:49

LooseGoose wrote:New Engler appointee played historic role at MSU

Looks like LAKS's younger sister or daughter or something.

"They look too much alike! Fire her!" *rabble*
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-15, 08:22

State legislators to grill MSU interim president John Engler today
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-17, 18:09

Michigan State's John Engler blasts ESPN for own sexual assault history

Murphy finds out that whacking Engler isn't a free pass like Izzo.

As Tom Izzo was about to take the podium Saturday at Little Caesars Arena, Michigan State University interim president John Engler had a tense back-and-forth exchange with a reporter about the ongoing sexual assault controversies that have engulfed the university in recent months.

The former Michigan governor blasted ESPN for its own problems with sexual assault cases, nearly two months after the network ran a story in the wake of the Larry Nassar sentencing detailing allegations into Izzo’s basketball program and Mark Dantonio’s football program.

“The 50,000 students on campus are going to class, and they want a safe environment. I think you have a safer environment today, and with the changes we are making, we’re making significant progress,” Engler told a small scrum of reporters. “That’s very much to the good and that response to the larger national debate that ESPN is wrapped up in.

“Look at the sexual assaults you guys are dealing with as a company. It’s pretty serious. In many ways, their company is one of the worst offenders in the nation. So we have a sexual assault challenge in America today. But for Michigan State, we’re dealing with it on our campus.”

Engler answered, “Oh, I think ESPN is far worse than many companies in America today.”

The attack on ESPN is a continuation of a theme Engler touched on Thursday during a hearing before the state Senate’s higher education committee.

After he spent the first 10 minutes of his comments talking about all the ways MSU helps the state and complaining about not getting what he said was enough state aid, Engler switched over to talk about Nassar and MSU’s response.

He took the opportunity to get a dig in at ESPN. He talked about how sexual assault is a problem in lots of places. He then listed a bunch of famous people who have been accused of sexual assault, including Harvey Weinstein, and finished by saying that list includes "a lot of people at ESPN.”
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-03-17, 18:56

Murphy thinks he can go toe to toe in a debate with a successful politician. Lol.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-17, 19:18

I see he didn't tweet anything about what Engler said. Fucking coward.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-17, 19:30

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I see he didn't tweet anything about what Engler said. Fucking coward.

Maybe his superiors told him to stop poking the bear and go back to ambushing Izzo.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-17, 20:57

Comp put up a video of the exchange. Can't link it. He handled it very well. He was calm and measured but pointed. Basically he answered Murphy's questions while simultaneously shutting him down.

Really tough position the U is in, in regards to the settlement and legislation. Kinda wish he'd meet privately with Denhollander.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-17, 21:03

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Comp put up a video of the exchange. Can't link it. He handled it very well. He was calm and measured but pointed. Basically he answered Murphy's questions while simultaneously shutting him down.

Really tough position the U is in, in regards to the settlement and legislation. Kinda wish he'd meet privately with Denhollander.

I'm just happy to see someone slapping that little snot Murphy down.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-17, 21:05

That he did and he did it well. Seems like the plan is to let Engler fight these battles and Izzo is done with it. He's going to continue to embarrass these schlubs if they keep coming at him/MSU.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-17, 21:20

Are the professors still protesting his interim appointment or have they gone back to teaching?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Matador 2018-03-17, 22:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Comp put up a video of the exchange. Can't link it. He handled it very well. He was calm and measured but pointed. Basically he answered Murphy's questions while simultaneously shutting him down.

You have to treat Denhollendar like a rouge terrorist state - do not directly engage.
The Matador
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-17, 22:27

I don't know, I don't know her but I think she's fantastic. Perhaps a bit naive but I'd like to see her involved in (something?). At the very least I'd like to see her brought into the room and told I see where you're coming from but agree to disagree and can we work together in the future.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-03-17, 22:45

The Matador wrote:

You have to treat Denhollendar like a rouge terrorist state - do not directly engage.
It's Oklahoma a rouge terrorist state?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-17, 22:46

InTenSity wrote:
The Matador wrote:

It's Oklahoma a rouge terrorist state?

Only after applying makeup
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-17, 22:48

Still the worst state I've ever been to, bar none.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-17, 22:58

LooseGoose wrote:

I'm just happy to see someone slapping that little snot Murphy down.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve defended Solari, couch, Rexrode etc but Murphy is a total ESPN stooge. Fuck that guy. I hate ESPN!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-03, 08:21

Engler looks like he's going to engage the press a bit more....

John Engler to kick off Free Press' 'Breakfast Club' speakers series
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-04-03, 09:57

LooseGoose wrote:Engler looks like he's going to engage the press a bit more....

John Engler to kick off Free Press' 'Breakfast Club' speakers series

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by loogoldham 2018-04-17, 22:48

Per DetNews, details of Engler's contract:

Engler agrees to provide the board with oral
loogoldham
loogoldham
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-21, 08:20

MSU's Engler is set for a candid conversation at May 10 Free Press breakfast event

On Thursday morning, May 10, at the Townsend Hotel in Birmingham, President Engler has agreed to sit with me in a one-on-one forum being touted as “A Conversation With John Engler.” The chat kicks off the Free Press’ Breakfast Club series that I am honored to have been asked by Editor and Vice President Peter Bhatia to moderate. As I have begun preparing for the discussion, it has in many ways presented a challenge on just where to begin.

We will certainly talk about challenges of education in the region and state and opportunities to address the ongoing talent gap.

Engler has made his impact felt in business, politics and now education as few others in the nation.

He inherited a calamity at MSU and one that seemingly pops up with new problems virtually every other day. What has become clear is while the Larry Nassar debacle may have been the genesis for a change in university leadership, the issue in and of itself was far from the school’s only problem. Engler quickly discovered there is something structurally wrong at MSU and, from administrative changes to changes in athletic leadership, the university faced a need for a complete overhaul.

If anything has been amusing about the university in the last several days, it is the sudden interest in governance by some of its trustees who, after clearly failing to provide sufficient oversight (which led to Engler’s retention in the first place) now seek to critique his every move.

If I was a member of that body, I would let Engler do the job he was hired to do, be smarter about what I put in an email, air dirty laundry and discrepancies in private and cease the political posturing.

The conversation on the 10th will be candid and direct. No questions will be off limits. Not only do I know Engler expects that — he most likely welcomes it — as this will provide him an opportunity to clarify what he and others believe has been a misinformation campaign of significant proportion. I am looking forward to the session and believe attendees on the 10th will come away well informed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-21, 08:42

LooseGoose wrote:MSU's Engler is set for a candid conversation at May 10 Free Press breakfast event

On Thursday morning, May 10, at the Townsend Hotel in Birmingham, President Engler has agreed to sit with me in a one-on-one forum being touted as “A Conversation With John Engler.” The chat kicks off the Free Press’ Breakfast Club series that I am honored to have been asked by Editor and Vice President Peter Bhatia to moderate. As I have begun preparing for the discussion, it has in many ways presented a challenge on just where to begin.

We will certainly talk about challenges of education in the region and state and opportunities to address the ongoing talent gap.

Engler has made his impact felt in business, politics and now education as few others in the nation.

He inherited a calamity at MSU and one that seemingly pops up with new problems virtually every other day. What has become clear is while the Larry Nassar debacle may have been the genesis for a change in university leadership, the issue in and of itself was far from the school’s only problem. Engler quickly discovered there is something structurally wrong at MSU and, from administrative changes to changes in athletic leadership, the university faced a need for a complete overhaul.

If anything has been amusing about the university in the last several days, it is the sudden interest in governance by some of its trustees who, after clearly failing to provide sufficient oversight (which led to Engler’s retention in the first place) now seek to critique his every move.

If I was a member of that body, I would let Engler do the job he was hired to do, be smarter about what I put in an email, air dirty laundry and discrepancies in private and cease the political posturing.

The conversation on the 10th will be candid and direct. No questions will be off limits. Not only do I know Engler expects that — he most likely welcomes it — as this will provide him an opportunity to clarify what he and others believe has been a misinformation campaign of significant proportion. I am looking forward to the session and believe attendees on the 10th will come away well informed.

It’s all many have ever asked. I’d love to say something out loud, but no way. You can’t frame it in any term without sounding like a bastard.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-21, 08:50

Is Blanchard still part of the team?

Maybe he could handle some PR.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-04-21, 09:49

Sounds like it's some sort of team - Engler & Blanchard for the interim. - Page 5 1837840279 Please for the love of god don't say how difficult this has been for MSU, how you/MSU have been wronged or even mention the press.

This sounds like a horrible idea right now. Maybe later after he and his lackey have STFU for a month.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-04-21, 11:03

Engler can begin to make some things right by sending newly appointed VP Veventi back to a job she understands. Administration in partisan political jobs.

A good sign is several members of the BOT including Mossalem are no longer staying silent on things like Engler's unauthorized meeting with Kaylee Lorincz and her mother.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-04-21, 21:10

GRR Spartan wrote:Engler can begin to make some things right by sending newly appointed VP Veventi back to a job she understands. Administration in partisan political jobs.

A good sign is several members of the BOT including Mossalem are no longer staying silent on things like Engler's unauthorized meeting with Kaylee Lorincz and her mother.

The BoT can STFU too. Especially Lyons. I figured him for a dumb fuck, but he threw all doubt out the window for me with the 'leaked' BoT emails from last week.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-21, 22:06

Know what? I think a bunch of people on every angle of this are full of shit and clueless.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-30, 06:56

Engler says MSU athletics addressing sex assault issues
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-04-30, 07:34

I know Engler has publicly said he only wants to be interim to help clean things up. I wonder if he's privately rethinking that he'd like to stick around for 5-7 years. The faculty and the students my not like it, but they don't write the checks and I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a longer Engler tenure.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-03, 18:04

This would be a good read for our next hire:

Mitch Daniels Has the Right Stuff for Purdue

But the single most exemplary leader of American higher education today in my judgment is Mitch Daniels at Purdue University. When he leaves Purdue’s presidency, tentatively planned for 2020 at age 71, the tuition level will be the same as it was when he took office at the beginning of 2013—over seven years earlier. Correcting for inflation, published tuition fees probably will have fallen a good 10 percent during the Daniels presidency. Since incomes are rising (albeit perhaps too slowly), the burden of becoming a Purdue Boilermaker has been steadily declining—in marked contrast to earlier in history.

President Daniels grasped quickly in his presidency that a large majority of money spent by contemporary research universities does not actually directly support the major missions—teaching and research. There are a lot of things universities do they are not particularly expert at, such as running power plants, conference centers, parking garages, and all sorts of other enterprises, not to mention providing food and housing to thousands of students. Using insights probably developed in his years as a business executive at drug giant Eli Lilly, Daniels has found hundreds of ways to save a few dollars here, a few dollars there. It all adds up.

At the same time, Purdue has actually added tenure-track faculty positions. Moreover, Daniels made freezing tuition a central goal, rather than, more typically, tuition fees being a residual consideration—determined after a multiplicity of other (often expensive) goals were achieved.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-05-03, 20:35

There are a lot of things universities do they are not particularly expert at, such as running power plants, conference centers, parking garages, and all sorts of other enterprises, not to mention providing food and housing to thousands of students. Using insights probably developed in his years as a business executive at drug giant Eli Lilly, Daniels has found hundreds of ways to save a few dollars here, a few dollars there. It all adds up.

A lot of that probably fits MSU... but I doubt we are going to get someone with business background.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-06-05, 12:06

According to our local alumni president, Engler is donating his entire salary back to the U.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-06-05, 12:07

Heat Miser wrote:According to our local alumni president, Engler is donating his entire salary back to the U.
that would be a true statement.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-06-14, 20:15

I've defended Engler some in this thread and the Nassar thread.

But it's time for him to go after the latest debacle.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-06-14, 21:06

This article?

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Michigan-State-Chief-Said/243656/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-06-14, 22:38

Speculation? But yeah, doesn't look good, and in the FOIA environment, pretty sloppy.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-06-14, 22:51

Yeah he's stepped on his dick pretty badly 3x at least of late that I can think of off the top of my head. Really stupid for a seemingly smart, experienced guy.

1. Don't take the meeting with Lorincz without counsel. Or don't take it period. The latter in fact.
2. Releasing private medical information about the accuser in the basketball rape civil suit case. He was the driving force behind those communications following the FOIA email trail. Then getting called on it and having to double back and apologize.
3. This right here. Having the gall to accuse Denhollander of milking and trying to manipulate folks, and also being dumb enough to put it in writing on not realize it would get FOIA'd.

He accomplished a big part of what he was brought in to do - get the settlement done. He's way out of his element now. Things don't work today like they did in the 90's. Time to show him the door.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next