Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa Fe School Shooting.

+17
Other Teams Pursuing That
kingstonlake
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Rocinante
NigelUno
aualum06
Dr. Strangelove
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
y2kMgrad
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Tim Wakefield
21 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Santa Fe School Shooting.  - Page 8 Empty Re: Santa Fe School Shooting.

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-21, 09:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Did you make it out to the MSU Art & Craft show Bob?
I don't think so.

I was at the Art Fair for a bit.. just walking around. I'm not into the art fair, but some kids from ELHS were playing in the jazz band and I'm friends with some parents.. hung out there for a couple of minutes.. beer at PB.. went home and took a nap.

How's construction going on the senior apartments?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-21, 09:24

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I don't think so.

I was at the Art Fair for a bit.. just walking around. I'm not into the art fair, but some kids from ELHS were playing in the jazz band and I'm friends with some parents.. hung out there for a couple of minutes.. beer at PB.. went home and took a nap.

How's construction going on the senior apartments?
coming along.. haven't kept up with it too much but the construction site has been vertical for a couple of months now. Looks like progress is being made.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-05-21, 11:49

LooseGoose wrote:And for Cameron since he seems to sincerely want to talk - my list from yesterday.   As I said not polished or complete but at least a list of things that could be done politically that might help.
======================================
1) Encourage more people to say something.   Most of these shooters tip themselves off
long before they act.   Orlando, Parkland, San Bernadino, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech - all
could have been stopped.   Las Vegas is one where this would have not seemed to help
but I still believe the GF knew something bad was about to happen.  

Law enforcement can be more pro active without breaking the law.  When law enforcement
gets a tip they need to investigate.  Set up reward funds if it turns out that the authorities
uncover concrete planning for a killing.

2) Prosecute for breaking existing laws.  For example in 2010: There over 75,000 failed
background checks - 62 people were prosecuted.   That sucks.

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/05/lie-and-try-prohibited-gun-buying/

3) Get rid of gun free zones.  They accomplish nothing but disarming law abiding citizens.
A criminal laughs at them and they give the public a false sense of security.  Make any
possible shooter at least consider there might be an armed citizen present.

4) Allow school employees with proper training to carry.  As much as this is scoffed at
I believe just planting the uncertainty would help.   Having a sprinkling of armed teachers,
custodians, aides and administrators would stop shootings early and save lives.  It may
have just done so in Santa Fe.  It did do so in IL last week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/05/16/dixon-illinois-school-resource-officer-thwarts-mass-shooting/615519002/

5) Allocate additional federal funding for mental health and pass laws allowing people to be
committed within guidelines for some limited period of treatment.  This ties back to #1.

6)  Ask the media to minimize the use of pictures/names for the killers.  Cover the crimes
all they want, talk about the tragedy but don't publicize the shooter more than necessary.

7) Bump stocks should go because they make a semi automatic fire too fast.  Machine
guns have been heavily regulated for decades, bump stocks should join them.

8) Expand background checks and eliminate the time limit.  According to Mother Jones most
of the guns used in mass killings were legally obtained so this might not do much.

9) If you're really serious about reducing homicides in the US then you start with handguns
since they're used in the vast majority of gun related killings.  And yes that includes some
of the worst mass killings.  Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc.

10) "Assault weapons" bans are bunk so don't waste political capital.   AR-15's aren't more lethal
than Grandpa's deer rifle no matter how many times that you read they are.  If you doubt me do
this - find an old hunter that's shot lots of game over the years.  Tell him he's about to be shot, but
he gets to choose the weapon used on him.  Choices are:

A) an AR-15 chambered in .223.  - the most common round for ARs
B)A Winchester Model 1894 chambered in 30-30 - along with the 30-.06 probably
C)A Remington 742 (circa 1960 or so) chambered in 30-.06 - the most popular deer round in MI.

I'll guarantee 90%+ will choose "A".   I don't care the yardage, 30-50-100 yards either
of those deer rounds are much more lethal.
This is a good post that deserves more thought than I can give it right now. I'm seeing a lot to agree with, though.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-21, 12:10

Cameron wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:And for Cameron since he seems to sincerely want to talk - my list from yesterday.   As I said not polished or complete but at least a list of things that could be done politically that might help.
======================================
1) Encourage more people to say something.   Most of these shooters tip themselves off
long before they act.   Orlando, Parkland, San Bernadino, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech - all
could have been stopped.   Las Vegas is one where this would have not seemed to help
but I still believe the GF knew something bad was about to happen.  

Law enforcement can be more pro active without breaking the law.  When law enforcement
gets a tip they need to investigate.  Set up reward funds if it turns out that the authorities
uncover concrete planning for a killing.

2) Prosecute for breaking existing laws.  For example in 2010: There over 75,000 failed
background checks - 62 people were prosecuted.   That sucks.

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/05/lie-and-try-prohibited-gun-buying/

3) Get rid of gun free zones.  They accomplish nothing but disarming law abiding citizens.
A criminal laughs at them and they give the public a false sense of security.  Make any
possible shooter at least consider there might be an armed citizen present.

4) Allow school employees with proper training to carry.  As much as this is scoffed at
I believe just planting the uncertainty would help.   Having a sprinkling of armed teachers,
custodians, aides and administrators would stop shootings early and save lives.  It may
have just done so in Santa Fe.  It did do so in IL last week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/05/16/dixon-illinois-school-resource-officer-thwarts-mass-shooting/615519002/

5) Allocate additional federal funding for mental health and pass laws allowing people to be
committed within guidelines for some limited period of treatment.  This ties back to #1.

6)  Ask the media to minimize the use of pictures/names for the killers.  Cover the crimes
all they want, talk about the tragedy but don't publicize the shooter more than necessary.

7) Bump stocks should go because they make a semi automatic fire too fast.  Machine
guns have been heavily regulated for decades, bump stocks should join them.

8) Expand background checks and eliminate the time limit.  According to Mother Jones most
of the guns used in mass killings were legally obtained so this might not do much.

9) If you're really serious about reducing homicides in the US then you start with handguns
since they're used in the vast majority of gun related killings.  And yes that includes some
of the worst mass killings.  Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc.

10) "Assault weapons" bans are bunk so don't waste political capital.   AR-15's aren't more lethal
than Grandpa's deer rifle no matter how many times that you read they are.  If you doubt me do
this - find an old hunter that's shot lots of game over the years.  Tell him he's about to be shot, but
he gets to choose the weapon used on him.  Choices are:

A) an AR-15 chambered in .223.  - the most common round for ARs
B)A Winchester Model 1894 chambered in 30-30 - along with the 30-.06 probably
C)A Remington 742 (circa 1960 or so) chambered in 30-.06 - the most popular deer round in MI.

I'll guarantee 90%+ will choose "A".   I don't care the yardage, 30-50-100 yards either
of those deer rounds are much more lethal.
This is a good post that deserves more thought than I can give it right now. I'm seeing a lot to agree with, though.
Goose loves him some mainstream media links.

by the way, I slept on it. Murder is still wrong.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-21, 12:31

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Goose loves him some mainstream media links.

I think Goose has flip flopped on bump stocks again. I guess that's a good sign.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-21, 13:08

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Goose loves him some mainstream media links.

I think Goose has flip flopped on bump stocks again. I guess that's a good sign.
poor 'ol Goose.

he was arguing with me the other day that the mainstream media is out to get the sexual predator.. while he was posting mainstream media articles talking about how great the sexual predator is.

Santa Fe School Shooting.  - Page 8 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-21, 13:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

poor 'ol Goose.

he was arguing with me the other day that the mainstream media is out to get the sexual predator.. while he was posting mainstream media articles talking about how great the sexual predator is.

Does he really believe they aren't more mass shootings now? I think he tries to pass that off sometimes.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-21, 13:25

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:poor 'ol Goose.

Does he really believe they aren't more mass shootings now? I think he tries to pass that off sometimes.
I don't read his posts so I really have no idea what he's saying.. I just admire his commitment to copying/pasting mainstream media articles. I know they appreciate his business, too.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2018-05-21, 22:56

I agree with most of what Goose said except for arming teachers. I'd rather have extra security/police at the schools instead.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-05-21, 23:05

Is having TSA level security (or something similar) at schools just not feasible? Or should i say affordable? considering that’s the only thing that really fucking matters in this country.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-22, 08:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Is having TSA level security (or something similar) at schools just not feasible? Or should i say affordable? considering that’s the only thing that really fucking matters in this country.

Freedom isn't free OTPT.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-05-22, 10:34

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Is having TSA level security (or something similar) at schools just not feasible? Or should i say affordable? considering that’s the only thing that really fucking matters in this country.
Has the TSA ever actually thwarted a would be crime? If we want to increase security in schools, I'm on board, but I'm not sure we want to model it after the TSA.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-22, 10:42

I think we should get rid of trench coats.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-05-22, 17:19

Clear backpacks and less Ritalin would probably help not sure but maybe.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8