Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread..

+21
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Dendrobates
NigelUno
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
Frank Ricard
Jake from State Farm
Cameron
Heat Miser
Other Teams Pursuing That
GRR Spartan
Dr. Strangelove
steveschneider
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
25 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 Empty Re: tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread..

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-11-07, 05:42

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Stabenow declared winner vs the guy who was in the military.

Wait. He was in the military? I want to vote for him now...

On a side note. A 78yr old Nancy Pelosi as majority leader makes me want to vomit. Please new breed, think this over. I beg you.

If the Dems knew what was good for them, and if she bought into the bigger picture, she'd know the right thing to do. Step the F aside.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 Empty Re: tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 05:46

The hate-filled guy in Colorado who would make a cake for a gay couple now has a gay governor. tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-11-07, 06:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:The hate-filled guy in Colorado who would make a cake for a gay couple now has a gay governor. tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 502811600

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-11-07, 06:27

Floyd Robertson wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Wait. He was in the military? I want to vote for him now...

On a side note. A 78yr old Nancy Pelosi as majority leader makes me want to vomit. Please new breed, think this over. I beg you.

If the Dems knew what was good for them, and if she bought into the bigger picture, she'd know the right thing to do. Step the F aside.

This. Time for new leadership. But, it won’t happen.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 06:54

Maybe the biggest takeaway from the midterms is that you can't brag about sexually assaulting women and openly mock survivors of sexual assault and not awaken a mother bear.

The future is female.. and that's a great thing.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-11-07, 06:56

Did Goose shit his pants?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-11-07, 07:45

It's a start.

I am happy all the props passed. I am even impressed all the school bonds in Macomb county passed.

I was surprised to see that Slotkin is declared the winner. It wasn't looking good for her last night.

Do we have the total numbers/percentages of Michigan voter turnout yet?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 07:51

Dendrobates wrote:It's a start.

I am happy all the props passed. I am even impressed all the school bonds in Macomb county passed.

I was surprised to see that Slotkin is declared the winner. It wasn't looking good for her last night.

Do we have the total numbers/percentages of Michigan voter turnout yet?
haven't seen those numbers yet - might take a bit.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-11-07, 08:34

The Trump effect in statewide Senate races is still concerning. Granting he picked his shots. Rode hot horses and knew who was vulnerable. The GOP pretty much abandoned the Midwest for the most part. But there is still an effect out there.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-11-07, 08:36

kingstonlake wrote:The Trump effect in statewide Senate races is still concerning. Granting he picked his shots. Rode hot horses and knew who was vulnerable. The GOP pretty much abandoned the Midwest for the most part. But there is still an effect out there.
Be more specific- which ones? Which ones should democrats have won that they didn’t because of trump?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-11-07, 08:38

Anyone have a link to local Michigan prop results? I'd like to see if I gotta pay extra for 911.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 08:44

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:The Trump effect in statewide Senate races is still concerning. Granting he picked his shots. Rode hot horses and knew who was vulnerable. The GOP pretty much abandoned the Midwest for the most part. But there is still an effect out there.
Be more specific- which ones? Which ones should democrats have won that they didn’t because of trump?
McCaskill is the only one I can think of - and she was vulnerable, anyway.

the racist, bigoted sexual predator stayed away from states where he knew he couldn't hitch is racist wagon to a winner: Michigan, Wisconsin to a large extent.. Pennsylvania. They all elected Democrat governors - coincidentally the three states that determined the 2016 debacle.

The media and the racist, bigoted sexual predator can spin all they want but, overall, it was a good night for Democrats - not a great night, but a good night.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 08:44

what's the latest on The Caravan?

are they still coming to kill us and take our jobs?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-11-07, 08:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

the racist, bigoted sexual predator stayed away from states where he knew he couldn't hitch is racist wagon to a winner: Michigan, Wisconsin to a large extent.. Pennsylvania. They all elected Democrat governors - coincidentally the three states that determined the 2016 debacle.

The media and the racist, bigoted sexual predator can spin all they want but, overall, it was a good night for Democrats - not a great night, but a good night.

I shudder to imagine the amount of political ads we'll see in 2020.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-11-07, 08:46

Indiana. Florida.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-11-07, 08:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Yeah, that’s why I asked. You’re gonna see a lot of cable news pundit types with a lot of hot takes like that- but when you break that down what you’re really saying is “they should have won a seat or two in deep red senate races.” I mean okay, you can say that if you want, but it doesn’t really make any sense. Oh and Florida.  But talk to intensity about that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-11-07, 08:47

kingstonlake wrote:

Indiana. Florida.
You ever been to Indiana?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-11-07, 08:50

kingstonlake wrote:

Indiana. Florida.

Living in Indianapolis for 4 years really made it feel like my vote didn't matter too much. That state is the Mississippi of the north.

Side note: Indianapolis is cool. Just about everywhere else in the state is Yikesville.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-11-07, 08:58

kingstonlake wrote:

Indiana. Florida.

Agree with Pylon here. It is the Mississippi of the north. Especially south of Indy. Donnelly polled well throughout the summer and even before election it was a tight race. He got blown out by over 9pts. Trump did rally the troops, made sure they didn't sit out. I don't have to like it. But he did have an effect. To deny it....well, it gets you what we have now. Lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 09:03

the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator actually needed Democrats to take the House. I mentioned it somewhere else in this thread.

Republicans never wanted to get rid of Obamacare - 'cause they know it's a good program. Could it be better? Yeah - but they never wanted to get rid of it or else a Republican-controlled House and Senate would've done it.

Same with the silly "Wall" - it was, and still is, a ploy to get the knuckle-draggin' racists who live in fear to the polls. There's never gonna be a wall - there never will be.

But now - the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator gets to blame the mean Democrats who want brown people to kill you and to eat your children.

if nothing else, we'll get 2 years of gridlock and entertainment.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-11-07, 09:14

kingstonlake wrote:

Agree with Pylon here. It is the Mississippi of the north. Especially south of Indy. Donnelly polled well throughout the summer and even before election it was a tight race. He got blown out by over 9pts. Trump did rally the troops, made sure they didn't sit out. I don't have to like it. But he did have an effect. To deny it....well, it gets you what we have now. Lol.

I'm not shocked that Republicans won in (what were supposed to be) close Senate races. Trump squashed Dem hopes by appealing to his base in those states. His message plays well in red states. He'll now feel empowered. It's going to be ugly in 2020.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-11-07, 09:37

kingstonlake wrote:

And yet, despite what polls said, they are going to win Indiana by significantly less than trump won it in 2016
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 09:38

BETO FOR SPEAKER!!!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-11-07, 09:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It's almost as if actually campaigning in those states, as opposed to largely (if not completely) ignoring the states like Hilary did, actually had an impact. Who'd have thunk it?

But look, of course, he focused his efforts on areas he could make a difference, just as Obama did with his stumping. And just as the money spent for various races (mostly coming from national parties and other PACs on both sides) also reflects this.

It's just good that there is a check in place now. But that could go away easily in 2 years, if a decent opponent for Trump is not nominated. If Trump wins re-election, I could see him pulling the house back to Republicans on his coat tails.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-11-07, 10:05

Sorry to say it was a valiant effort in Florida against all odds. My oldest went to UF for grad school and bluntly put there is a lot of Jim Crow South between the patches of blue on the election maps. Add that to the immigration of older white voters to FL (like you see at Trump rallies) it’s surprising Gillum came as close as he did. Florida hasn’t had a Democrat win a gubernatorial election since the late ‘90’s.

You all are spot on about IN. Less than 100 years ago the KKK had a larger official membership than either party had on registered members.

Sadly the specter of Hillary Clinton still loomed large in the US Senate losses in FL, IN, MO, ND, TN and possibly AZ where GOP candidates leveraged her unpopularity and their opponent’s previous support for her to rally their voters.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-11-07, 10:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Yeah, that’s why I asked. You’re gonna see a lot of cable news pundit types with a lot of hot takes like that- but when you break that down what you’re really saying is “they should have won a seat or two in deep red senate races.” I mean okay, you can say that if you want, but it doesn’t really make any sense. Oh and Florida.  But talk to intensity about that.
DeSantis didn't win Florida because of Trump. Gillum being caught up in an FBI probe, and further evidence that recently came out, killed his campaign.
How did Gillum lose?

I don't think the Senate race in Florida was because of Trump either. Yes, Rick Scott beat a long time incumbent (I doubt the recount will change the outcome, if that is triggered), but Scott is coming off 2 terms as Governor, both times winning pretty easily IIRC, so he had a lot more popularity heading into the race than challengers often have. Hurricane Irma impacting almost the whole state just a year ago, and Michael impacting the panhandle this year, also really helps him, as it raises his profile beyond just politics at times when people are going through a lot of emotions.

Just my two cents on those races. Both had unusual dynamics beyond just Trump. The Democrats taking some long time Republican house seats in Florida was a big statement.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-11-07, 10:15

GRR Spartan wrote:Sorry to say it was a valiant effort in Florida against all odds. My oldest went to UF for grad school and bluntly put there is a lot of Jim Crow South between the patches of blue on the election maps. Add that to the immigration of older white voters to FL (like you see at Trump rallies) it’s surprising Gillum came as close as he did. Florida hasn’t had a Democrat win a gubernatorial election since the late ‘90’s.

You all are spot on about IN. Less than 100 years ago the KKK had a larger official membership than either party had on registered members.

Sadly the specter of Hillary Clinton still loomed large in the US Senate losses in FL, IN, MO, ND, TN and possibly AZ where GOP candidates leveraged her unpopularity and their opponent’s previous support for her to rally their voters.

That's true about not having a Democratic governor in 20 years, but to be fair, the Dems have put forth some really dull candidates (hell, the Dems' best candidate in that time was a guy who was a former Republican governor). And until yesterday, Florida had at least 1 Democratic Senator for those 20 years, and went Democrat for Obama both times, while being extremely close in the other elections. It's hardly a typical red state. It's very much a split state, as you can see by the results of this election. As you said, there is some old south. I always say that "The South" ends around Orlando. North of there, it's pretty much like Georgia. From Orlando South it's a hodge podge of immigrants, transplants, and some old Florida. That's where the population centers are, and that mix goes a long way to making Florida such a toss up battleground state.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2018-11-07, 11:10

BTW & FWIW, I mistakenly voted for an (R) yesterday and felt bad. (Wayne State Board I think)...

Damn ballot was too long for me to go bother the old person and start over. It would have been a "thing".

I feel shame.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-11-07, 11:42

Proud of Michigan passing prop 1.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-11-07, 11:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Proud of Michigan passing prop 1.

Glad I could help a brother out LOL
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 11:50

this nice lady doesn't have to worry about issuing marriage licenses to gay people anymore...

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 Lead_720_405

she lost her election.

to a gay man.

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 502811600 tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 502811600 tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 12 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-11-07, 11:55

So what's the timeline for an individual to be able to stroll on into Meijer and pick up a couple of ounces?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-11-07, 11:57

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

So what's the timeline for an individual to be able to stroll on into Meijer and pick up a couple of ounces?
I gotta think it’ll be legal on January first.... but the proposal didn’t lay out a timeline. That’s what other states did when they voted on it though right?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 12:00

I'm not gonna buy it.. but how much would it cost?

what's an ounce? like, how many j's could a white man roll with an ounce?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-11-07, 12:04

kingstonlake wrote:

Glad I could help a brother out LOL

I don’t live there, you helped your state. With that being said my visits home got that much easier.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2018-11-07, 12:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not gonna buy it.. but how much would it cost?

what's an ounce? like, how many j's could a white man roll with an ounce?

Depends upon where you get your rolling paper:
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-11-07, 12:27

Watching Trump's press conference right now. What a shitshow. He's yelling at everyone in the press corp right now.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-11-07, 12:44

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Watching Trump's press conference right now. What a shitshow. He's yelling at everyone in the press corp right now.
if the white little racist, bigoted christian sexual predator can't handle a bunch of mainstream media types.. imagine how he's going to react when his tax returns are under subpoena.

sounds like he's starting to realize that his "tremendous night" last night wasn't so tremendous.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-11-07, 12:56

I voted for Clement for MI Supreme Court because she was the deciding vote toput Prop 2 on the ballot.

I can live with her and I voted for Cavanaugh so we have two women who probably aren't going to be supportive of GOP attempts to stall redistricting by the newly appoved no legislators committee
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-11-07, 13:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Watching Trump's press conference right now. What a shitshow. He's yelling at everyone in the press corp right now.
if the white little racist, bigoted christian sexual predator can't handle a bunch of mainstream media types.. imagine how he's going to react when his tax returns are under subpoena.

sounds like he's starting to realize that his "tremendous night" last night wasn't so tremendous.

Congratulations Trump you just lost the house now here's your subpoena.

Saw Joan Walsh and Jake Tapper mention that this election shows Trump has done nothing to expand his base and his base has eroded in the midwest and the suburbs. Dems made races in GA, FL, TX and other red states very competitive. Saw that JP Morgan said this was the biggest loss for a party when the economy was good. After two years of this nightmare I think pathway out of it is starting to emerge.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next