Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.

+16
steveschneider
The Pantry
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
MSU addict
AvgMSUJoe
Dendrobates
Senior Dickfist
Rocinante
WhiteBoyHatcher
Jake from State Farm
I.B. Fine
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
DWags
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 11/26/2018, 10:31 am

Some pics.

I dry brined a 18 lber and the bone-in breast. I took the skin off of the breast and it turned out really good. Wouldn't hesitate to take the skin off of the big bird but I actually got really nice skin this year and my son and nephews like the drums with the skin on.

tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 45285562424_c4d8e05f52_c
tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 45124805445_ff29223b28_c
tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 45312243774_c56e5211bb_c
tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 45124797905_4afb094a72_c
tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 44229604760_283d55e7a0_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.

Post by Guest 11/26/2018, 10:41 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Some pics.

tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 44229604760_283d55e7a0_c

That looks really good.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 11/26/2018, 12:19 pm

em, yeah, wow. tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 361471007
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/26/2018, 12:24 pm

we cooked NY strips via my carefully crafted cast iron skillet method.. potatoes and salad. No bird to speak of.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/26/2018, 12:31 pm

Just wow. Wbh hats off to you, that looks amazing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/26/2018, 12:33 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we cooked NY strips via my carefully crafted cast iron skillet method.. potatoes and salad. No bird to speak of.

Bob? We were talking about Thanksgiving not the 4th of July.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 11/26/2018, 12:35 pm

I probably missed it earlier in the thread, but why do folks remove the skin? Health reasons? I know it's unhealthy, but I love the skin.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 11/26/2018, 12:35 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we cooked NY strips via my carefully crafted cast iron skillet method.. potatoes and salad. No bird to speak of.

rhr before and after?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 11/26/2018, 12:36 pm

Bob, what is your method, if you don't mind me asking?
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 11/26/2018, 12:36 pm

Senior Dickfist wrote:I probably missed it earlier in the thread, but why do folks remove the skin? Health reasons? I know it's unhealthy, but I love the skin.

It's tough to get the skin right unless you are cooking/roasting at high temps. Many people (I'm not one of them) think that 'smoking' anything above 275 degrees or so is blasphemous.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 11/26/2018, 12:39 pm

I can't see the pics but if WBH grilled it, I'm sure its amazing.

I did a bird for the first time ever grilling. It turned out very well I thought. Especially since I didn't realize how long it would take to thaw.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 11/26/2018, 12:40 pm

Gotcha. In that case I'd just take the skin and fry it separately, because I'm a fat monster.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/26/2018, 1:03 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Bob? We were talking about Thanksgiving not the 4th of July.
tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/26/2018, 1:03 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

rhr before and after?
sorry man - I let myself go a little bit over the break and didn't take copious notes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/26/2018, 1:09 pm

Senior Dickfist wrote:Bob, what is your method, if you don't mind me asking?
basically, I just get a very evenly marbled NY strip.. I got these from Monticellos out in Haslett. I use sunflower oil on them (very high smoke point), then season them basically with coarse sea salt, and a I mix together a dry rub that's pretty much just fresh cracked black pepper, some Hungarian paprika, onion flakes and some garlic salt. Left them overnight in the fridge and brought them out to get them to close to room temp. right before cooking.

I then stick my well-seasoned cast iron skillet in the oven on 550.. depending on how folks like their steaks (I prefer medium rare, my wife likes hers more medium well), I then get the scalding hot skillet out, toss the steak on.. depending on the cut, medium well is usually around 4 minutes on each side.

Cooking three of them on Thanksgiving, it got a little smoky in the kitchen and dining room. I had a couple of windows open for cross-ventilation and even turned on a fan - nothing major (the ELFD didn't show up or anything) - but just kept the air moving.

they were quite tasty. It's a pretty easy way to cook a very good steak. I haven't used a grill since I began experimenting with the cast iron skillet method. In fact, to me, grilling is absolutely NOT how to cook a good steak.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 11/26/2018, 3:06 pm

Your method sounds solid. I need a good cast iron skillet.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/26/2018, 3:07 pm

Senior Dickfist wrote:Your method sounds solid. I need a good cast iron skillet.
yep - pretty essential to any kitchen. Make sure it's seasoned properly and clean it accordingly - it only gets better with age and will last forever.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/26/2018, 3:19 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Senior Dickfist wrote:Your method sounds solid. I need a good cast iron skillet.
yep - pretty essential to any kitchen. Make sure it's seasoned properly and clean it accordingly - it only gets better with age and will last forever.

tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 Ntujsv10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 11/26/2018, 3:49 pm

Goose, by any chance, do you know where I can pick up a pair of those shades?
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 11/26/2018, 3:52 pm

I've got some stupidly expensive stainless steel cookware and I'd almost always prefer my cast iron skillet, it is a must have.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/26/2018, 3:56 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: yep - pretty essential to any kitchen. Make sure it's seasoned properly and clean it accordingly - it only gets better with age and will last forever.

tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 Ntujsv10
tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 1966794946
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 11/21/2019, 7:03 am

Yum, a nice side of 1,000 lbs of green bean casserole  tOfficial “how I’m doing my bird” for Thanksgiving thread.  - Page 3 1401550746

[tw]1197484807896174592[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 11/21/2019, 7:48 am

I like green bean casserole. Am I weird?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 11/21/2019, 7:58 am

DWags wrote:I like green bean casserole. Am I weird?

I OK with it, but the thought of a 1,000lbs of it makes me gag.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 11/21/2019, 8:50 am

No. I like it too.

For me green bean casserole is a holiday security blanket.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/21/2019, 1:44 pm

cooking NY strips again this year (method detailed above in post #95).. probably a side of roasted garlic mashed potatoes with rosemary.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 11/21/2019, 1:47 pm

How am I doing my bird? Double tap to the back of the head, like always.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 11/21/2019, 4:51 pm

I like it too. Not sure why it bothers some folks.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/21/2019, 5:19 pm

Any cures for post feast constipation?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 11/21/2019, 7:19 pm

Routine poutine.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 11/22/2019, 8:22 am

steveschneider wrote:Any cures for post feast constipation?

Bud Light
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 11/22/2019, 8:25 am

Jake from State Farm wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Any cures for post feast constipation?

Bud Light

cheers cheers

Get your ass to my tailgate on the 30th. Call me doctor.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3