Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Beilein to the Cavs

+24
pulling69
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
Robert J Sakimano
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
SawGreen
Turtleneck
Heat Miser
aualum06
Cameron
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
InTenSity
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
28 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 8 Empty Re: John Beilein to the Cavs

Post by Nordic 2020-01-10, 09:52

Banks2Mason wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:I'm as liberal as the next guy but the political correctness in speech and ok fingers and whatever is crazy. I get the n word, but these newly encoded words are getting to the silly point. Also, righteous indignation over legit things looses its impact if ok fingers is the new n word.

i mean, the OK thing is stupid but it was expressly adopted by neo Nazi jackasses. they're to blame, not "PC culture" or whatever.

holding your right arm straight out at a 45 degree angle isn't inherently evil either, but it was adopted by a certain group and now it is what it is.

Was it though? Read Steve's link. It started as a hoax/online troll job. I think there was also a serial killer in Australia(?) that flashed some version of the OK that perpetuated the myth.

Twitter was a ablaze when the drunk cadets made fools of themselves on TV during the Army/Navy game. Half the people were convinced they were signaling white power. And half took it as the circle game. To me it was clearly the circle game by drunk teenagers ("hey look at me, I'm on TV and got you to look!"). We played this game ad nauseum in HS over 20 years ago and still gets randomly used when you see someone from that past.

Even so, I bet those cadets regretted getting on TV the next morning.

Last edited by Nordic on 2020-01-10, 10:09; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-01-10, 09:59

Nordic wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

i mean, the OK thing is stupid but it was expressly adopted by neo Nazi jackasses. they're to blame, not "PC culture" or whatever.

holding your right arm straight out at a 45 degree angle isn't inherently evil either, but it was adopted by a certain group and now it is what it is.

Was it though? Read Steve's link. I think there was also a serial killer in Australia(?) that flashed some version of the OK that perpetuated the myth.

Twitter was a ablaze when the drunk cadets made fools of themselves on TV during the Army/Navy game. Half the people were convinced they were signaling white power. And half took it as the circle game. To me it was clearly the circle game by drunk teenagers ("hey look at me, I'm on TV and got you to look!"). We played this game ad nauseum in HS over 20 years ago and still gets randomly used when you see someone from that past.

Even so, I bet those cadets regretted getting on TV the next morning.

Yeah, that ADF article is the best resource I've seen on the whole okay thing. In short the ADF league is good to go with the okay sign but there's been some real asshole hate groups out there using it and a murderer that has flashed it. The ADF also notes the original intent where this controversy started it was done to troll the left.

I also agree with a lot of AVG Joe's core argument, Twitter is bananas with the PC stuff at times as well and you just have to go okay go fuck yourself social justice warrior pukes.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-01-10, 10:05

tGreenWay wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

tGreenWay gonna do about 6 months in free speech jail

You should’ve been there the day I used the term cotton pickin’ on Instagram. Hoo, boy, did that cause a stir. John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 8 502811600

I’m with DWags on this, though; if it’s a word that upsets others, there’s plenty of other words to use. Except moist. Sorry, ladies, there’s no other way to describe my cakes.

I'm with you. You can't control the way a word might make someone feel. Especially words that have a negative history behind them (the OK thing does not, it's manufactured bullshit).

I learned that 'durag' is a sticky one watching Survivor a few months ago. One of the cast members said it when they got their new buffs. This sparked an emotional response from Jamal, who was very good at expressing why. I've used that word from time to time and was just as ignorant about the origin as the person that said it. It was just a bandana or sweat rag to me.

Instead of paraphrasing, here is the origin https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do-rag
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-01-10, 15:22

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

You should’ve been there the day I used the term cotton pickin’ on Instagram. Hoo, boy, did that cause a stir. John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 8 502811600

I’m with DWags on this, though; if it’s a word that upsets others, there’s plenty of other words to use. Except moist. Sorry, ladies, there’s no other way to describe my cakes.

I'm with you. You can't control the way a word might make someone feel. Especially words that have a negative history behind them (the OK thing does not, it's manufactured bullshit).

I learned that 'durag' is a sticky one watching Survivor a few months ago. One of the cast members said it when they got their new buffs. This sparked an emotional response from Jamal, who was very good at expressing why. I've used that word from time to time and was just as ignorant about the origin as the person that said it. It was just a bandana or sweat rag to me.

Instead of paraphrasing, here is the origin https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do-rag

See, I don't understand why that's a "negative" connotation... Just because it's primarily an african american cultural thing, why is it negative for others to use? (Like posse, etc.)

Unless, of course, they were using it in a negative context. Which anyone can do with anything....

Also, Why make "do-rag" a PC platform to stand on?

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2020-01-11, 08:34

Jebus. I've read the past few pages and I am so out of touch. So, if I call a white person a thug, am I racist or culturally appropriating the word? I also own several of what I sometimes call a doo/dew-rag. They are awesome for outdoor work. I guess I could call them buffs, but that's a brand, not a term. Maybe I'll go with seamless headband. tWife and I also do a lot of outside work, working in tandem on farm fences and the like where we are sometimes great distances apart. I will be sure to look both ways before flashing any "ok" gestures...what the fuck do I do if there are people around?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-01-11, 13:31

SawGreen wrote:Jebus. I've read the past few pages and I am so out of touch. So, if I call a white person a thug, am I racist or culturally appropriating the word? I also own several of what I sometimes call a doo/dew-rag. They are awesome for outdoor work. I guess I could call them buffs, but that's a brand, not a term. Maybe I'll go with seamless headband. tWife and I also do a lot of outside work, working in tandem on farm fences and the like where we are sometimes great distances apart. I will be sure to look both ways before flashing any "ok" gestures...what the fuck do I do if there are people around?

Ok gesture with fingers pointed up is fine. Problem solved.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-01-11, 13:43

AvgMSUJoe wrote:;]
Nordic wrote:

See, I don't understand why that's a "negative" connotation... Just because it's primarily an african american cultural thing, why is it negative for others to use? (Like posse, etc.)

Unless, of course, they were using it in a negative context. Which anyone can do with anything....

Also, Why make "do-rag" a PC platform to stand on?

That was my initial thought as well. Then I looked it up...

"Durags were originally worn by poor African American women laborers and slaves in the 19th century."

It wasn't a PC platform. It came up organically on Survivor. It was an interesting/great exchange between the two and timely to this convo. Recap...

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-01-11, 14:03

Kind of along these lines, I learned a couple of years ago that saying that black guys have big dicks is offensive. As much as we might think it is a compliment, apparently it is rooted in the post-Civil War South, where there were posters and stories going around that black men were going to rape the white women and it would be especially painful and violent because of their size.

I knew it was a stereotype, but never knew of the offensive history behind it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2020-01-11, 14:10

Ok, well buff it is. I looked up buff and it isn't only the brand, it 's a term for the garment.

But, I also looked up durag/do-rag/etc. and it is a real thing still actively in use today regardless of the history. So, I can easily stop using the term, but if I need to stop wearing the garment ... that ain't happening.

I'm still not clear on the offense, but it's an easy adjustment in language. What do bikers call them because they use them a lot under their helmets?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-01-11, 14:42

SawGreen wrote:Ok, well buff it is. I looked up buff and it isn't only the brand, it 's a term for the garment.

But, I also looked up durag/do-rag/etc. and it is a real thing still actively in use today regardless of the history. So, I can easily stop using the term, but if I need to stop wearing the garment ... that ain't happening.

I'm still not clear on the offense, but it's an easy adjustment in language. What do bikers call them because they use them a lot under their helmets?

My polish Grandma wore bandanas for her hair dos when she was out in her garden.

This is like saying slaves wore short pants with pockets when they did their work, so anyone in cargos is a racist fuck.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-01-11, 15:34

SawGreen wrote:Ok, well buff it is. I looked up buff and it isn't only the brand, it 's a term for the garment.

They're labeled on the packaging in stores as Do-rag or Du-rag.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-11, 15:44

Heat Miser wrote:
SawGreen wrote:Jebus. I've read the past few pages and I am so out of touch. So, if I call a white person a thug, am I racist or culturally appropriating the word? I also own several of what I sometimes call a doo/dew-rag. They are awesome for outdoor work. I guess I could call them buffs, but that's a brand, not a term. Maybe I'll go with seamless headband. tWife and I also do a lot of outside work, working in tandem on farm fences and the like where we are sometimes great distances apart. I will be sure to look both ways before flashing any "ok" gestures...what the fuck do I do if there are people around?

Ok gesture with fingers pointed up is fine. Problem solved.

Wouldn’t fingers pointed down be mq?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-11, 15:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:Kind of along these lines, I learned a couple of years ago that saying that black guys have big dicks is offensive. As much as we might think it is a compliment, apparently it is rooted in the post-Civil War South, where there were posters and stories going around that black men were going to rape the white women and it would be especially painful and violent because of their size.

I knew it was a stereotype, but never knew of the offensive history behind it.

Definitely true. The white man’s fear of the “black buck” raping their white wives and daughters led to a lot of hangings/lynchings of innocent men and teens.
And while size is/was a stereotype, there is also now available global data showing men in African counties are the most well endowed, while those in Asian countries were, on average, the smallest. The first study I ever read about, several years ago, caused a heck of an uproar with some people.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-11, 15:57

First time I ever heard the term do-rag was on NYPD Blue.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2020-01-11, 16:01

tGreenWay wrote:

Obviously you aren't from my West Lansing suburban hood John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 8 502811600
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-11, 16:12

SawGreen wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Obviously you aren't from my West Lansing suburban hood John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 8 502811600

Define west Lansing. Waverly grad.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2020-01-11, 16:21

tGreenWay wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Define west Lansing. Waverly grad.

I graduated from Waverly in 83.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-17, 00:36

Beilein is gone. Come up to EL and help Izzo in March.

[tw]1229254401107169280?s=21[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-02-17, 00:41

That would really chap the asses of those arrogant, uh, you know... asses.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-02-17, 06:11

I don’t know if they hired a better coach but they definitely hired a better recruiter.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-17, 06:33

He can enjoy being a slug in retirement.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2020-02-17, 07:02

Good for him. He got paid. I respect the guy, and wish him well. He was hard to root against, and he gave us Juwan.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-17, 08:25

steveschneider wrote:He can enjoy being a slug in retirement.

Thug. Slug. See...what I meant to say...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-17, 09:52

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:He can enjoy being a slug in retirement.

Thug. Slug. See...what I meant to say...

Everyone on twitter saying Cavs are losing one of the best offensive minds in basketball however in the NBA his opponents are scoring more points than his team.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2020-02-17, 10:02

I.B. Fine wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Something doesn't smell right to me.

The 5 year contract he signed last year had a rollover provision every year (so that it always extended out 5 years)...unless one side chose not to extend it. I wonder if UM pulled the plug on the rollover last month.

$0 buyout for Beilein, get more money from 5 yr deal with Cavs, get fired in a couple years, retire and still get paid, never have to hear 'but Harbaugh' ever again.

Even quicker than I expected...Good for Beilein.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-17, 10:11

I.B. Fine wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

$0 buyout for Beilein, get more money from 5 yr deal with Cavs, get fired in a couple years, retire and still get paid, never have to hear 'but Harbaugh' ever again.

Sounds like they're negotiating a settlement.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-02-17, 10:20

Slug life.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-17, 10:21

NigelUno wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Sounds like it as well. If I’m understanding it right looks like Beilein wants to quit?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2020-02-17, 10:57

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Sounds like it as well. If I’m understanding it right looks like Beilein wants to quit?
Can you blame him? The NBA is a joke in the first place and the Cavs are a joke within the joke..also,Gilbert is not a good owner...
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-17, 11:12

Why is the nba a joke? They seem to be doing fairly well.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-02-17, 11:13

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Why is the nba a joke? They seem to be doing fairly well.

Well it's a players league not a coach league
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2020-02-17, 11:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Why is the nba a joke? They seem to be doing fairly well.
I'm just not a fan, they do great as a business, for sure.
I think Patrick Ewing summed it up the best, 'People complain that pro athletes make a lot of money; but what they don't understand is that we need a lot of money because we spend a lot of money. "
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-17, 11:37

aualum06 wrote:

Well it's a players league not a coach league

Sounds like my type of league. I’d rather have the focus point on the athletes rather than some old dude with a clipboard and bad temper.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8