Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DWags! What's the deal with the boat rowing guy?

+14
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
Nordic
MSU addict
duffy munn
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
kingstonlake
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
DWags
NigelUno
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

DWags!  What's the deal with the boat rowing guy? Empty DWags! What's the deal with the boat rowing guy?

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-27, 14:14

Do we like him or not?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

DWags!  What's the deal with the boat rowing guy? Empty Re: DWags! What's the deal with the boat rowing guy?

Post by DWags 2019-10-27, 14:33

He’s a decent coach. All he can do is play the teams on his schedule. He’s 8-0 against them. They’re a combined 28-34 but he’s made the program rise in Minnesota
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

DWags!  What's the deal with the boat rowing guy? Empty Re: DWags! What's the deal with the boat rowing guy?

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-27, 14:45

I’m wait and see mode and will get back to you after they play penn State and Wisconsin. Their schedule looks like a joke but hey they are scoring some points.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-10-27, 14:50

I don’t see PJ Fleck leaving MN for EL unless there is a re-alignment of the Big Ten divisions. He’s got a shot at winning the division more often than having to have OSU, PSU and umaa in the division.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-27, 14:58

GRR Spartan wrote:I don’t see PJ Fleck leaving MN for EL unless there is a re-alignment of the Big Ten divisions. He’s got a shot at winning the division more often than having to have OSU, PSU and umaa in the division.

Has there even been an example of a big programs coach stealing another programs head coach? I can’t see it happening.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2019-10-27, 15:26; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-10-27, 15:07

A split with penn state and Wisconsin would be a monumental achievement for them. Their schedule is weak and filled with common type programs. And he’s beating them all. He’s definitely moved the program up in stature.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-27, 15:16

kingstonlake wrote:A split with penn state and Wisconsin would be a monumental achievement for them. Their schedule is weak and filled with common type programs. And he’s beating them all. He’s definitely moved the program up in stature.

What impressed me most is how quickly he turned things around for Minny. Granted, I don’t recall how low the program got after the guy who followed Jerry Kill left, but it’s an impressive turnaround in a weak division. I’m still not sold on Fleck, and those oars are a joke, but I am jealous of the energy he and his staff project.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-27, 15:26

Alright I gave it some thought and I have a couple of good ideas for our next coach...
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-27, 15:39

steveschneider wrote:Alright I gave it some thought and I have a couple of good ideas for our next coach...

Les Miles?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-27, 15:47

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Alright I gave it some thought and I have a couple of good ideas for our next coach...

Les Miles?

I’ll give my hot take tomorrow. You guys won’t want to miss it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-10-27, 15:49

steveschneider wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:I don’t see PJ Fleck leaving MN for EL unless there is a re-alignment of the Big Ten divisions. He’s got a shot at winning the division more often than having to have OSU, PSU and umaa in the division.

Has there even been an example of a big programs coach stealing another programs head coach? I can’t see it happening.

Saban?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-27, 15:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Saban?

I meant a big ten team stealing another big ten teams head coach.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-27, 15:52

steveschneider wrote:

Nick Saban to LSU. Rodgers to ASU. Jimbo to A&M

I’m like you and will wait on what he can do. There is no doubt the Googers are better than what they were. But again, I hope when Dantonio leaves we don’t just try to grab bright shiny objects and think that will work.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-27, 15:54

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I’m like you and will wait on what he can do. There is no doubt the Googers are better than what they were. But again, I hope when Dantonio leaves we don’t just try to grab bright shiny objects and think that will work.

Good list I meant a big ten team stealing another big ten teams coach? I could see fleck going somewhere else if he continues to have success but I can’t see it happening with another b10 team.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-27, 15:59

Probably too late now but I’d row the boat!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-27, 16:16

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Shurmur might not last the season. I hope he isn’t considered.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-10-27, 16:47

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

This would part of my concern with Fleck. If he came here and had early success he would probably bolt.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-10-27, 16:51

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

Nick Saban to LSU.  Rodgers to ASU.   Jimbo to A&M  

This would part of my concern with Fleck. If he came here and had early success he would probably bolt.
I guess it would depend on the level of success. If we’re talking CFP success, then why leave?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-27, 16:53

Let’s get a guy who copyrighted the phrase Ride the boat and then we could put little Sperry Topsiders stickers on our helmets.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-27, 16:54

Or someone who keeps talking about how teams need to Steer the boat and we could put little boat steering wheels on our helmets.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2019-10-27, 17:00

Fleck's contract an Minnesota is comparable to Dantonio's. I could be wrong, but I would doubt we go to stupid money for our next coach.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-27, 17:12

Yeah we missed our chance
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-10-27, 17:13

Screw fleck I know the perfect replacement.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-10-27, 17:16

kingstonlake wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I guess it would depend on the level of success. If we’re talking CFP success, then why leave?

If he turned things around right way and contended for Indy he would be as hot a name as he could be.

He left a pretty decent gig at Western as his highest point. He will likely do the same to the gophers.

He's a ladder climber and I don't think he would consider MSU the highest wrung.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-27, 17:17

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

He isn’t coming here. He can stay at Minnesota till he wins a division. The easy division. I’d wait and see.

Some of these same guys wanted Brian Kelly. The resources and brand he had at ND and he didn’t do anything more impressive than Dantonio has done with less.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-10-27, 17:22

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

He isn’t coming here.   He can stay at Minnesota till he wins a division. The easy division.   I’d wait and see.

Some of these same guys wanted Brian Kelly.  The resources and brand he had at ND and he didn’t do anything more impressive than Dantonio has done with less.  

Scared money don’t make money.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-10-27, 18:06

Realistic list-Narduzzi (53) know where the land mines are

Way too optimistic list
Iowa State’s Matt Campbell (39)
Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell (46)

Dark Horse list
The U’s OC Dan Enos (51)
New England’s DLine “advisor” Bret Beilema (49)

Moonshot
Auburn’s Gus Malzhan because he’s in the SEC West and Auburn fans think he should beat Alabama and LSU every year. (I suspect if Malzhan leaves this year he’ll go to FSU where Taggert is hanging with his fingernails.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-27, 18:19

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:

He isn’t coming here.   He can stay at Minnesota till he wins a division. The easy division.   I’d wait and see.

Some of these same guys wanted Brian Kelly.  The resources and brand he had at ND and he didn’t do anything more impressive than Dantonio has done with less.  

Scared money don’t make money.

Just ask Bobby and John L. Ask Rich Rod. Chip Kelly.

Look he might win championships here. National ones. But you, me, the collective here don’t know shit about shit. And no offense, if guys like you want him it makes me more nervous. I’d feel the same way if a guy like me wanted him. What do any of us know about him or how he’d fit in here? I’d trust Izzo on a committee. I’d ask Narduzzi Saban and Bobby Williams for their time and input and if they couldn’t sit on a committee I’d ask them questions about the final two. (Make your Bobby jokes but he knew how to recruit to MSU).

But none of this matters. Guys way above our pay grade who don’t give two shits about us or what we think will make a decision. It will go from Dantonio staying and him deciding on changes to him staying on the condition he cleans house to him retiring and being allowed input to him retiring and having no input. And whatever decision they make, you me every Spartan is going to eat it. Put salt or mustard on it and eat it. Don’t go to games? Cool fuck you we’ve made this decision.

So yeah, let’s throw names out there. Like it matters. It doesn’t. Mean time, I’ll be back up there 11/9/19. You’re welcome at my tailgate.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-27, 18:20

duffy munn wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

If he turned things around right way and contended for Indy he would be as hot a name as he could be.

He left a pretty decent gig at Western as his highest point. He will likely do the same to the gophers.

He's a ladder climber and I don't think he would consider MSU the highest wrung.

I think this will be a good opportunity for him to bail on Minnesota. He'll be offered jobs if they win the West (and probably even if he doesn't and still wins 10-11 games).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-27, 18:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Are you agreeing that he's afraid of competition?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-10-27, 18:30

I want someone with a rock solid connection to Ohio. Born there, spent many years recruiting there, whatever. Ohio is a, if not the key component for coaching success at MSU.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-10-27, 18:34

I hear ya Wags. Throwing out names is fun and it’s all just speculation and wish list shit. I do want someone who kids want to play for and see their skills getting noticed by scouts and the nfl. Maybe we’re all tainted by a lack of offense but a coach who sees it differently than the current staff would be a welcome change. Offense does win at this level. It’s an arms race. Score 40 or lose if you want to be on the big boy train. I can tell you one think I don’t want. I don’t want a search where MSU “limitations” are a factor. Fuck that shit. Well we can’t do this or do that. Bullshit. You swing for the fences. It can be done. Clemson use to be us. They use to be a catch lightning in a bottle for season type team. They said fuck it get the best assistant out there. You think Clemson SC is some sort of destination type city? It’s a bum fuck town in the middle of no where. You build it baby. We reached a plateau but didn’t want to keep building because we valued loyalty over results. I got no first hand evidence or conversations that can prove it but it sure seems that way. I believe MSU can shove scums hype and BS down their own throats with the right guy. I guy that don’t GAF. I want that guy. I don’t want Holiday bowl guy.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-10-27, 18:36

NigelUno wrote:

Yes, yes. That exactly what he’s saying. Rolling Eyes
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-10-27, 18:39

tGreenWay wrote: I want someone with a rock solid connection to Ohio. Born there, spent many years recruiting there, whatever. Ohio is a, if not the key component for coaching success at MSU.

Who do we send this to in order that it be one of the criteria? I’m sure they’ll take it if we put the weight of the swill behind it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-27, 18:54

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

DWags!  What's the deal with the boat rowing guy? 502811600 What division 1 head football coach isn’t afraid of competition?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-10-27, 20:00

NigelUno wrote:

No. PJ is all about PJ and know what jobs are more advantagous to the next job than others. Fleck had been approached by other programs according to a major WMU donor who I know thru business.

Fleck chose Minnesota because Minnesota had pieces in place, it was a power Five job that wasn't Kansas, Rutgers or Vanderbilt and he was following Claeys who had taken over from Jerry Kill and won two bowl games in his two seasons.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-27, 20:09

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

So, how have we missed our chance then?

Because he (now) doesn't want to compete in the East?

He did before?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-10-27, 20:17

Better come back with some answers, Kingston.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-10-27, 20:26

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

So, how have we missed our chance then?

Because he (now) doesn't want to compete in the East?

He did before?  

Sigh.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-10-27, 20:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Better come back with some answers, Kingston.

Thought I asked you. Must be nice to have a spokesperson though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next