Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working from Home and Worker Productivity

+12
msugolfguy
Motown Spartan
Dendrobates
Other Teams Pursuing That
Cameron
RQA
kingstonlake
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
PennSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Trapper Gus
16 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 Empty Re: Working from Home and Worker Productivity

Post by PennSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:08 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Working from home, like almost every other business decision, will be made with spread sheet logic looking at productivity and cost of office space.

If your group worked in leased space that wasn’t renewed and productivity has stayed up you might get to stay at home or have a hybrid schedule.

MSU and some Lansing based insurance companies have gone to the hybrid model.

Exactly. Why spend more than you must in a business.
Why does it seem that the Progressives who work from home are the same ones who can’t pay their college loans, don’t have good healthcare, and want the government to pay for daycare? Is there a correlation there?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 Empty Re: Working from Home and Worker Productivity

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:19 am

PennSpartan wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

For these types of cable news watchers, everything is connected to politics. Everything.
It’s political because progressives like you stereotype everyone.

This post never fails to deliver. I love it so much.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:59 am

If I worked in an office, it probably would have been closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'll be working each of those days.

But someone that wants employers to go back to the ways of the 1980s says it's more productive to work in an office.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:07 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:If I worked in an office, it probably would have been closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'll be working each of those days.

But someone that wants employers to go back to the ways of the 1980s says it's more productive to work in an office.
And getting three days off is a bad thing? On one hand I hear Progressives pushing for more time off, and then you just argued for the opposite. I suppose we could have people working from home 365 days a year and improve productivity tremendously, but isn’t that a step backwards? Unions pushed for a 40 hour work week decades ago as an improvement. Were they wrong?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:21 am

PennSpartan wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:If I worked in an office, it probably would have been closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'll be working each of those days.

And getting three days off is a bad thing? On one hand I hear Progressives pushing for more time off, and then you just argued for the opposite. I suppose we could have people working from home 365 days a year and improve productivity tremendously, but isn’t that a step backwards? Unions pushed for a 40 hour work week decades ago as an improvement. Were they wrong?

Unions?

Unions are almost dead, Penn.

Membership is almost down to single digits of the American work force.

However, there is hope. The millennials are working on starting more unions.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:31 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Unions?

WTF? Unions from home? Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 2803167989
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:33 am

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Unions?

WTF? Unions from home? Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 2803167989

The ones that are reported are Starbucks & Amazon
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:35 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

What does that have to do with working from home?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:47 am

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

You are the poster who brought up unions. I'm just trying to be nice to you and address the points you are making.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:56 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

You are the poster who brought up unions. I'm just trying to be nice to you and address the points you are making.
I just brought them up to point out they advocated for 40 hour weeks. I thought that was a good thing. Are young people against that, too?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:00 am

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I just brought them up to point out they advocated for 40 hour weeks. I thought that was a good thing. Are young people against that, too?

Generally no, but there’s no reason why it needs to be 8-5 M-F in many cases. Nothing wrong with 4-10’s or someone that works from 11-8 if that’s what works better for them. I’m sure you’re aghast at these things but the good news is that no one cares
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:20 am

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

No, but without the union pressure, for exempt employees, the owners are totally taking advantage of the labor laws.

Assistant Managers in fast food, basically do the same work as the hourly workers, are really screwed by being on salaries which turn out to be paying them something below minimum wages for the hours they put in.

Obama tried to fix this, Trump promptly unfixed it and now Biden might be fixing it again.

As an Automotive Engineer I was expected to be putting in 60 plus hours on site or in an assembly plant and that didn't count all the hours I was thinking up inventions at home.

Work from home for the exempt cuts out the commute time and allows it to be more on task, though again, my commute time was taken up with telephone conferences or contacting people who I needed to talk to. Cell phones and laptops have completely changed the work environment since 2010.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:28 am

Onsite (for strict computer related jobs) is only a requirement for horrible bosses who need to bully.

If you HAVE to stare at someone to get them to be productive, you are doing it wrong.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:34 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Onsite (for strict computer related jobs) is only a requirement for horrible bosses who need to bully.

If you HAVE to stare at someone to get them to be productive, you are doing it wrong.

Agreed.

I worked for a company managed by fossils, though their real problem was the "C" suite had all advanced from the operations side and didn't understand how to manage professionals, and I was located at World Headquarters, so the lower management really didn't have much choice as to how they treated their staff. It was better in places away from WH.

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:17 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Onsite (for strict computer related jobs) is only a requirement for horrible bosses who need to bully.

I never had anyone stare at me while I worked, but I did have an office so they would have had to do so through the window. Usually the employees who were good at interpersonal communication moved up the ladder quickly. The ones that didn't ended up getting meaningless tasks or were eventually told to work from home (fired Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 4113017228)
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:56 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Exactly. Why spend more than you must in a business.
Why does it seem that the Progressives who work from home are the same ones who can’t pay their college loans, don’t have good healthcare, and want the government to pay for daycare? Is there a correlation there?

Except the under 30 in my family all paid off loans to qualify for 2% mortgages.

Time to find another whipping boy.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:00 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Except the under 30 in my family all paid off loans to qualify for 2% mortgages.

Time to find another whipping boy.
Well done. I guess it can be done after all.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:43 pm

PennSpartan wrote:

Are you dense? What does the threat of a hurricane (that didn't even hit us but was just near by) causing many offices to close for 2 days, have to do with working 365 days a year. What was supposed to be a 4 day week became a 2 day week for many offices because of the very nature of people having to go to an office. That is the definition of decreased productivity.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:19 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
Are you dense? What does the threat of a hurricane (that didn't even hit us but was just near by) causing many offices to close for 2 days, have to do with working 365 days a year. What was supposed to be a 4 day week became a 2 day week for many offices because of the very nature of people having to go to an office. That is the definition of decreased productivity.

Me dense? You’re the one living in Florida. And continuing to work when offices were closed due to a hurricane. LOL.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:50 am

If we didn’t interact with clients face to face, I would definitely allow my employees to work from home. Give employees what they want, it will pay off in loyalty, and even advocacy. Well worth the perceived loss of production.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:22 am

Motown Spartan wrote:If we didn’t interact with clients face to face, I would definitely allow my employees to work from home. Give employees what they want, it will pay off in loyalty, and even advocacy. Well worth the perceived loss of production.

Every study I have seen shows that productivity is higher when people work from home. Sort of the point of this thread.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:25 am

Did the dinosaurs die quietly?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:28 am

kingstonlake wrote:Did the dinosaurs die quietly?

There was a very loud noise, but it might have come after the wall of red-hot supersonic debris from the meteor strike

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:34 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Did the dinosaurs die quietly?

There was a very loud noise, but it might have come after the wall of red-hot debris from the meteor strike

So basically internet technology vs dinosaurs?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:44 am

kingstonlake wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

There was a very loud noise, but it might have come after the wall of red-hot debris from the meteor strike

So basically internet technology vs dinosaurs?

Sure seems that way. I get it. If someone hasn't been working over the last 10 to 15 years they totally missed the electronic communication explosion in the workplace, which btw, is everywhere anyone works. Information on the factory floor is all via electronics now, too.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:52 am

Motown Spartan wrote:If we didn’t interact with clients face to face, I would definitely allow my employees to work from home. Give employees what they want, it will pay off in loyalty, and even advocacy. Well worth the perceived loss of production.
Call me old fashioned, but I think face to face is the best interaction. In most everything. I prefer dining out to take out. Having a beer with a friend to talking on the phone or texting. In school to home school. Going to a game to watching on TV. But that’s a dying opinion I guess. Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 191237986 Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 2427441217 Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 1558547457
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:04 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

Every study I have seen shows that productivity is higher when people work from home. Sort of the point of this thread.

Yep. The lack of production is only perceived and a few bad actors seemingly ruin it for the vast majority.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:06 am

PennSpartan wrote:
Call me old fashioned, but I think face to face is the best interaction. In most everything. I prefer dining out to take out. Having a beer with a friend to talking on the phone or texting. In school to home school. Going to a game to watching on TV. But that’s a dying opinion I guess. Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 191237986 Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 2427441217 Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 1558547457

This is sort of like when the telephone & telegraph were invented.

There still are face to face meetings, just many fewer, and they are hardly needed at all, or even that possible if people are working together in a multi-national with parts of the work being done all around the globe on a 24-hour basis.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:08 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Yep. The lack of production is only perceived and a few bad actors seemingly ruin it for the vast majority.

The people who cannot self-police get weeded out quickly in most workplaces.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:14 am

Trapper Gus wrote:

You love studies. Studies are some of the most unproductive things on earth. There are studies that say take an aspirin every day. And studies that say don’t. There are endless studies that counter one another. Like polls, you can make studies say whatever you want. They’re garbage.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:16 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

This is sort of like when the telephone & telegraph were invented.

There still are face to face meetings, just many fewer, and they are hardly needed at all, or even that possible if people are working together in a multi-national with parts of the work being done all around the globe on a 24-hour basis.
You still have told me how to assemble an automobile from home.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:17 am

PennSpartan wrote:

If it can be said in an email, it doesn’t need a meeting.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:18 am

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

You love studies. Studies are some of the most unproductive things on earth. There are studies that say take an aspirin every day. And studies that say don’t. There are endless studies that counter one another. Like polls, you can make studies say whatever you want. They’re garbage.

Kind of like meetings. They’re garbage.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:22 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Should we get rid of schools?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:27 am

PennSpartan wrote:

I like how, intentionally or not, you've pretty much shifted your argument away from saying that it is more productive to work in an office.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:28 am

Motown Spartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

You know what never happens during sales meetings?

Sales
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:29 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

I like how, intentionally or not, you've pretty much shifted your argument away from saying that it is more productive to work in an office.
I like how you dodge the questions.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:30 am

If we could go back in time, I'm sure an 18th Century farmer would tell us how it's better to have horses or oxen pull a plow rather than a tractor.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:32 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:If we could go back in time, I'm sure an 18th Century farmer would tell us how it's better to have horses or oxen pull a plow rather than a tractor.
But he was working from home, so it must have been more productive.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:32 am

PennSpartan wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I like how you dodge the questions.
There wasn't a question in that post. Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 4 2599972566
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next