Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working from Home and Worker Productivity

+12
msugolfguy
Motown Spartan
Dendrobates
Other Teams Pursuing That
Cameron
RQA
kingstonlake
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
PennSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Trapper Gus
16 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 2 Empty Re: Working from Home and Worker Productivity

Post by RQA 2022-11-04, 07:10

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Yeah. I mean, you’re right I don’t think they can assemble cars in their basement. If they could, great.

Henry Ford assembled one in his garage.    
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 2 Empty Re: Working from Home and Worker Productivity

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 08:52

RQA wrote:

Yeah. I mean, you’re right I don’t think they can assemble cars in their basement. If they could, great.

Not sure it was his garage, it was on Bagly Street in Detroit, his family home was on Greenfield Road in Dearborn.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 08:54

Trapper Gus wrote:

Except power plays between workers and employers

Sure, office politics. Not national voting politics.

Not really understanding where Penn has gone with this, or why management wants lower productivity other than they are on a power trip.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-04, 09:17

Trapper Gus wrote:

Except power plays between workers and employers

Wait a minute, are you telling me that next week's election is not effectively a referendum on whether some people should be able to work from home?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 11:09

Trapper Gus wrote:

Not really understanding where Penn has gone with this, or why management wants lower productivity other than they are on a power trip.
Today is trash day in my neighborhood. I just talked to the crew boss as they drove by and told them you said it would be more productive if they worked from home. He said great! So next week everyone is going to dump their trash in this guy’s front yard. Thanks, Gus.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 11:12

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Today is trash day in my neighborhood. I just talked to the crew boss as they drove by and told them you said it would be more productive if they worked from home. He said great! So next week everyone is going to dump their trash in this guy’s front yard. Thanks, Gus.

Penn, no one, but you, thinks this applies to direct labor, why are you so obtuse?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 11:15

RQA wrote:

Wasn’t Apple started in Steve Jobs’ garage?  I’m sure the company would be much more productive if they had stayed there all these years.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 11:30

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Penn, no one, but you, thinks this applies to direct labor, why are you so obtuse?
Let me guess. The people who get the student debt relief are the same ones who get to work from home, right? And the guy flipping burgers at the diner who didn’t get a dime in debt relief is the same guy who still has to clock in at the “office”. Progressives have this all figured out. Now if they can get free daycare they don’t even have to change the diaper of their kid in the next room.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 11:37

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Let me guess.  The people who get the student debt relief are the same ones who get to work from home, right?  And the guy flipping burgers at the diner who didn’t get a dime in debt relief is the same guy who still has to clock in at the “office”.  Progressives have this all figured out.  Now if they can get free daycare they don’t even have to change the diaper of their kid in the next room.  

40% of the "guys flipping the burger" get relief due the college debt forgiveness, of course because 40% of the people who get debt relief are the "burger" flippers".

Some of those same people are people working at jobs where they can work at home.  Call centers, for instance, which employ "burger flippers".

Sure, direct labor, some of which will also get debt relief from the student loan forgiveness, is what it is called, direct labor.  Some of it in manufacturing at reasonable wages.

Funny, since you are the one who blasts people for not making "good life choices" that you are all over this.

edit - oh and btw, I am with Travis on this, debt relief and work from home are two different, unrelated issues.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-11-04, 11:55; edited 2 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-11-04, 11:39

Damn, I never realized the depths of anger and bitterness this dude holds. Jesus.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Cameron, Other Teams Pursuing That, Dendrobates and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 11:40

kingstonlake wrote:Damn, I never realized the depths of anger and bitterness this dude holds. Jesus.

I don't get it, he has had everything in life that life can offer, according to himself, yet he is one angry motherfucker.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 12:31

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
Let me guess.  The people who get the student debt relief are the same ones who get to work from home, right?  And the guy flipping burgers at the diner who didn’t get a dime in debt relief is the same guy who still has to clock in at the “office”.  Progressives have this all figured out.  Now if they can get free daycare they don’t even have to change the diaper of their kid in the next room.  

40% of the "guys flipping the burger" get relief due the college debt forgiveness, of course because 40% of the people who get debt relief are the "burger" flippers".
This is complete bullshit, and you know it.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 12:34

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Damn, I never realized the depths of anger and bitterness this dude holds. Jesus.

I don't get it, he has had everything in life that life can offer, according to himself, yet he is one angry motherfucker.
I’m not angry about anything. I am explaining why Progressives are going to get their asses kicked next week. Crazy ideas that don’t align with Main Street America (in spite of all your worthless statistics and studies).
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 12:36

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Three different analyses of data from the National Center for Education Statistics found that 38% to 39% of people who took out college loans between 2012-2017 didn’t finish college in that period.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/feb/12/alma-adams/democrats-say-40-people-college-debt-didnt-get-deg/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-11-04, 12:37

I mean, he's clearly not very bright. Stupid people often arrive at incorrect conclusions.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 12:37

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I’m not angry about anything. I am explaining why Progressives are going to get their asses kicked next week. Crazy ideas that don’t align with Main Street America (in spite of all your worthless statistics and studies).

Okay, but why are you doing it in the wrong thread, are you stupid or something?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 12:40

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Three different analyses of data from the National Center for Education Statistics found that 38% to 39% of people who took out college loans between 2012-2017 didn’t finish college in that period.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/feb/12/alma-adams/democrats-say-40-people-college-debt-didnt-get-deg/
Show me the part that says they’re flipping burgers.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-11-04, 12:42

I am 29 and will never work another job that requires you to go into an office. I go in voluntarily about once a month right now. Sorry, old folk. Adapt or die.

Last edited by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2022-11-04, 12:42; edited 1 time in total
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 12:42

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Okay, but why are you doing it in the wrong thread, are you stupid or something?
Because debt forgiveness was part of the stupidity that is going to show up in next week’s elections.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 12:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I am 29 and will never work another job that requires you to go into an office. I go in voluntarily about once a month right now. Sorry, old folk. Adapt or die.
My adaptation is to vote against every Progressive.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-04, 12:43

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

You are just a more politically moderate version of RQA, aren't you? JFC.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-04, 12:46

White collar workers. Famously extremely progressive.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 12:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Thanks to people like you.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 12:49

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Show me the part that says they’re flipping burgers.

Of please, I'm sure they are all working as investment bankers /s
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 12:50

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Because debt forgiveness was part of the stupidity that is going to show up in next week’s elections.

And there is a thread for that, conventionally labeled - tOfficial debt/loan relief meltdown thread.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 12:52

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:White collar workers. Famously extremely progressive.

For what it is worth all the Baby Boomers who had the option to work from home love it, well except Penn, I guess.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 12:53

PennSpartan wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Pretty sure Tucker told his players "Only you control your"
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-11-04, 12:58

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Tell us where it showed up on this poll?

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3861
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-04, 12:58

Trapper Gus wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:White collar workers. Famously extremely progressive.

For what it is worth all the Baby Boomers who had the option to work from home love it, well except Penn, I guess.

Of course they do. And conservatives, and non voters, and white collar workers of all stripes. Because what we’re talking about has nothing to do with politics unless you consume such a heavy volume of cable news that your brain has become addled with worms where everything has to have a pundits take on it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 13:00

Trapper Gus wrote:

The only baby boomers I remember working from home had a job called “mom”. They were very productive, I’ll give you that. It’s good to know that these productive people working from home now are so good they can also spend all day on a message board. Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 2 2803167989
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 13:02

Trapper Gus wrote:

Of course they do. And conservatives, and non voters, and white collar workers of all stripes. Because what we’re talking about has nothing to do with politics unless you consume such a heavy volume of cable news that your brain has become addled with worms where everything has to have a pundits take on it

No, I disagree, it has nothing to do with Republican/Democratic politics what-so-ever at all.

I have worked for a couple of hard-ass managers who would make people come in just because they had the power to demand it, but other than those assholes I haven't see this having anything to do with anything, and the value of higher productivity says any manager worth what they are paid would welcome "work for home"
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-04, 13:05

Trapper Gus wrote:

No, I disagree, it has nothing to do with Republican/Democratic politics what-so-ever at all.

I have worked for a couple of hard-ass managers who would make people come in just because they had the power to demand it, but other than those assholes I haven't see this having anything to do with anything, and the value of higher productivity says any manager worth what they are paid would welcome "work for home"

Yes yes yes, office politics. Different thing than what I meant.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-04, 13:07

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

The only baby boomers I remember working from home had a job called “mom”.  They were very productive, I’ll give you that.  It’s good to know that these productive people working from home now are so good they can also spend all day on a message board. Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 2 2803167989

I picture your former workplace with all the desks lined up in rows, no partitions, and the boss sitting in a high desk facing the room. lol

That is the only way your fucking ass-stupid attitude makes any sense.  For you it isn't about getting the best from the employees, it is a power struggle between the workers, who musy submit to be ground under the iron heal of management, and management.

What a fucking stupid manager you were.

Coopertive management has been a thing for a long time, Penn, and it is much more effective.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-04, 13:11

PennSpartan wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I'm not sure what this means, but....you're welcome?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 13:17

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
The only baby boomers I remember working from home had a job called “mom”.  They were very productive, I’ll give you that.  It’s good to know that these productive people working from home now are so good they can also spend all day on a message board. Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 2 2803167989

I picture your former workplace with all the desks lined up in rows, no partitions, and the boss sitting in a high desk facing the room. lol

That is the only way your fucking ass-stupid attitude makes any sense.  For you it isn't about getting the best from the employees, it is a power struggle between the workers, who musy submit to be ground under the iron heal of management, and management.

Coopertive management has been a thing for a long time, Penn, and it is much more effective.
I was such a “stupid” manager that I was able to pay my loans, have good healthcare, and earn a pension. If any employee had ever asked to work from home I would have gladly let them. Of course, they wouldn’t have been collecting a paycheck from me. See, we had these things called clients. People who actually paid us for our services. It kept us in business. And I wasn’t about to send a client to some employees fucking house to do business. Understand?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-04, 13:17

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

The only baby boomers I remember working from home had a job called “mom”. They were very productive, I’ll give you that. It’s good to know that these productive people working from home now are so good they can also spend all day on a message board. Working from Home and Worker Productivity - Page 2 2803167989

I am shocked to learn that people that worked before the internet, or even when the internet was in its infancy, didn't work from home.

Of course, I would also argue that in like-for-like office jobs, they were much less productive because they didn't have computers, email, cell phones, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-04, 13:22

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I was such a “stupid” manager that I was able to pay my loans, have good healthcare, and earn a pension. If any employee had ever asked to work from home I would have gladly let them. Of course, they wouldn’t have been collecting a paycheck from me. See, we had these things called clients. People who actually paid us for our services. It kept us in business. And I wasn’t about to send a client to some employees fucking house to do business. Understand?

You mean, when those loans were much less as a percent of income, when health insurance costs out of pocket were much less as a percent of income, and when companies actually gave pensions?

I have clients. I email or have zoom calls with clients all the time. If they require an in person meeting, I go. Most don't. Because they're not curmudgeons stuck in the 1950s. They value their time and things that can be settled in an email or 5 minute call instead of a 2 hour meeting. It makes them, and me....are you ready....MORE productive.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Dendrobates and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 13:33

MiamiSpartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

You mean, when those loans were much less as a percent of income, when health insurance costs out of pocket were much less as a percent of income, and when companies actually gave pensions?

I have clients. I email or have zoom calls with clients all the time. If they require an in person meeting, I go. Most don't. Because they're not curmudgeons stuck in the 1950s. They value their time and things that can be settled in an email or 5 minute call instead of a 2 hour meeting. It makes them, and me....are you ready....MORE productive.
Is the Swill Bin part of what you call productivity?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-04, 13:38

MiamiSpartan wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Yeah, people call it the good old days. When people actually went to work and earned those things. Makes you wonder, maybe your world isn’t so great after all, is it? Maybe change isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-04, 13:40

This thread is incredible. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone so aggressive insist that they are making some kind of valid point and be
so wildly incorrect and out of touch with reality with literally every post. It’s like seeing a unicorn. Long may this thread live
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next