Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caitlin Clark

+24
DWags
steveschneider
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Robert J Sakimano
Trapper Gus
tGreenWay
Pervis Muldoon
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
gomersbro
Nordic
aualum06
MSU addict
InTenSity
Bert Savoy
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
Jake from State Farm
28 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Caitlin Clark  - Page 4 Empty Re: Caitlin Clark

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-02, 11:28

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Star Power for sure.

Apparently she can't go pro until next year, unless she graduates early.

Unbelievable. Seems to me even an average attorney could make quick work of that rule. But nothing surprises me when we’re talking about unfair practices towards women and minorities.

Maybe it's part of their collective bargaining agreement with the Player's Association.

Has to be 22 in the year that she's drafted.

Draft picks get paid...
Picks 1-4: $72,141
Picks 5-8: $69,224
Picks 9-12: $66,306
Second round: $63,389

Highest salary is a little north of $200,000.

She might be better off staying in college for 2 more years.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 11:46

I read somewhere that Clark's NIL deals are worth quite a bit. She strikes me as somebody who thrives on good competition, so she might want to move to the next level, but the money part might be pretty good right now.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-02, 11:49

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

Unbelievable. Seems to me even an average attorney could make quick work of that rule. But nothing surprises me when we’re talking about unfair practices towards women and minorities.

Maybe it's part of their collective bargaining agreement with the Player's Association.

Draft picks get paid...

With the exposure she is getting she might be able to cut some national deals, which could be lucrative.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-02, 11:49

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

Draft picks get paid...

Magic Johnson’s first contract was like 400K. Him and bird changed the league. Clark can also do it. The WNBA would be wise to take advantage of her star power right now. JMO
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 13:24

Trapper Gus wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Draft picks get paid...

With the exposure she is getting she might be able to cut some national deals, which could be lucrative.

I think Clark has a deal with Nike and definitely some kind of deal with Buick.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-02, 13:30

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Draft picks get paid...

Magic Johnson’s first contract was like 400K. Him and bird changed the league. Clark can also do it. The WNBA would be wise to take advantage of her star power right now. JMO

Draft is in 8 days. She'll be a big draw at college games next season.

Maybe they could implement some rule that if you're picked in the Top 3 (or Top 5 or 1st Round), you can leave early. If not, you get to go back to college. And if a team drafts an under 22 player, they have to guarantee a contract for 5 years at a much higher salary than they pay now.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bert Savoy 2023-04-02, 13:51

Without a doubt she will make more $$ and get a higher degree of exposure (leading to more $$ in the future) by staying in the college game even if she were eligible to get drafted.

Bert Savoy
Bert Savoy
Spartiate

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-02, 15:44

I don’t know, what an out just giving them the same choice as males? They might very well stay in college. But let them decide.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 16:29

What was the rationale behind LSU a 3 seed? They only lost two games this year. They are really good.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-02, 17:24

Holy smokes. These officiate crapping the bed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 19:57

I guess it isn't just you, DWags.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2023/04/02/referees-lsu-iowa-ruin-title-game-atrocious-officiating/11589683002/

I do not like Kim Mulkey and like her clothing choices even less, but she is an amazing coach. She just wins.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-04-02, 19:57

No joy in Iowa City but had a helluva run. Mulkey had a lot better game plan than Staley had Friday.

I saw that same $72K for the first four choices.

A friend is in upper management at HyVee (like Spartan Stores with 250+ stores) that sponsors Hawkeye athletics and when NIL’s started he said he expected they would selectively and quietly participate with some athletes.

HyVee could already have Caitlin Clark with an NIL. They could sign her for $250K, buy ad spots for all Hawkeye women’s game and easily cover their investments.

For unique talents like Clark, NIL changes every thing. She’s likely to get a shoe endorsement in addition to her WNBA salary and still be behind her earnings as a college player.

HyVee has annual sales in excess
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 20:17

GRR Spartan wrote:No joy in Iowa City but had a helluva run. Mulkey had a lot better game plan than Staley had Friday.

A friend is in upper management at HyVee (like Spartan Stores with 250+ stores) that sponsors Hawkeye athletics and when NIL’s started he said he expected they would selectively and quietly participate with some athletes.

HyVee could already have Caitlin Clark with an NIL. They could sign her for $250K, buy ad spots for all Hawkeye women’s game and easily cover their investments.

For unique talents like Clark, NIL changes every thing. She’s likely to get a shoe endorsement in addition to her WNBA salary and still be behind her earnings as a college player.

They do. No idea what the value is. No way Hy-Vee was going to pass on a superstar from Iowa.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-02, 20:40

GRR Spartan wrote:No joy in Iowa City but had a helluva run. Mulkey had a lot better game plan than Staley had Friday.

She has a deal with Hy-Vee (among others).

Caitlin Clark NIL deals: How Iowa star developed lucrative partnerships, from Nike to Goldman Sachs

Read somewhere her Nike deal is worth $1 million. I'm guessing it has parameters in which she'll get paid that much. Probably didn't get a flat $1 million.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-02, 20:46

Caitlin Clark  - Page 4 276803595

[tw]1642648843010428931[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 20:52

Honestly, race seems to be the only thing that explains this reaction. Clark did the same thing against Louisville, and the way Clark waved off that USC player on the perimeter was cold. People embraced it, said she was competitive, having fun, etc. Now it's classless? What's different?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-04-02, 20:57

I'm sure the guys are doing the same shit, but it seems like the chicks are freaking cold. Handshake fights, rubbing the losers nose in it.
Girls are nasty.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

The Pantry and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 20:59

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I'm sure the guys are doing the same shit, but it seems like the chicks are freaking cold. Handshake fights, rubbing the losers nose in it.
Girls are nasty.

Didn't a Memphis player punch a Bowling Green player in the handshake line in the WNIT? Maybe that is what you are talking about.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-04-02, 21:00

That move probably will cost Reese future endorsements. There are 60 starters in the WNBA which means there will be 59 other players to choose from when she goes pro.

Did anyone expect the player spouting off about South Carolina players being "disrespected" because Iowa dared them to shoot threes and for what ever reasons South Carolina kept trying to pound the ball to the paint?

Angela Reese might be the team leader Mulkey wants but after seeing that I suspect her former HC Maryland's Freese where Reese played as a freshman wasn't surprised.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-02, 21:03

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I'm sure the guys are doing the same shit, but it seems like the chicks are freaking cold. Handshake fights, rubbing the losers nose in it.
Girls are nasty.

I've always felt that women were more vicious than men, but that could just be "male privilege" feelings.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-02, 21:16

It's funny because no one would know who Angel Reese is if it wasn't for Clark.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, AvgMSUJoe and GRR Spartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-02, 21:20

Turtleneck wrote:Honestly, race seems to be the only thing that explains this reaction. Clark did the same thing against Louisville, and the way Clark waved off that USC player on the perimeter was cold. People embraced it, said she was competitive, having fun, etc. Now it's classless? What's different?

Without getting into Portnoy's characterization, I saw the FT lane ring thing and the ghost hand wave, and was a little surprised. And, then Reese followed her around at the end of the game, and did the same thing. That seemed a little much to me, and made it a little different than what Clark did (or more excessive). She's lucky she didn't get punched, or start a brawl.

This thing is going to get beat to death.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-02, 21:29

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Honestly, race seems to be the only thing that explains this reaction. Clark did the same thing against Louisville, and the way Clark waved off that USC player on the perimeter was cold. People embraced it, said she was competitive, having fun, etc. Now it's classless? What's different?

Without getting into Portnoy's characterization, I saw the FT lane ring thing and the ghost hand wave, and was a little surprised. And, then Reese followed her around at the end of the game, and did the same thing. That seemed a little much to me, and made it a little different than what Clark did (or more excessive). She's lucky she didn't get punched, or start a brawl.

Sort of get the "in the moment during the game" thing. (Would Izzo allow this?)

Sort of WFT about after the game, lady, you won, go celebrate with your team.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 21:31

NigelUno wrote:

Agreed, and it will end up overshadowing an exciting NCAA tournament (for no good reason). Nordic mentioned the growth of the women's game in this thread, which was proven in this Tournament.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-02, 21:57

Trapper Gus wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Sort of get the "in the moment during the game" thing. (Would Izzo allow this?)

Sort of WFT about after the game, lady, you won, go celebrate with your team.

If that happened in a men's game, punches would have been thrown. Maybe a brawl.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 22:50

I've seen the UM coach punch people for less.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-04-02, 22:51

The difference is the game was over
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 22:56

duffy munn wrote:

So what....
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-02, 22:59

Stupid take: Reese showed enormous respect to Clark by seeking her out immediately after the game instead of celebrating with her team. Two great competitors. Let it go.

Let’s talk about the officiating.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-04-02, 23:12

Turtleneck wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

So what....

Your team just won the national championship and your first thought is Caitlin Clark. I get that she's a shit talker but it was uncalled for at best and classless at worst.

That said, the whole thing was probably good for womens college basketball
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-02, 23:13

Motown Spartan wrote:It's funny because no one would know who Angel Reese is if it wasn't for Clark.

Caitlin Clark  - Page 4 200.gif?cid=ddb306a58ewkedn6x18onxevywb9h2vc37xws0ukcnhhn5pv&rid=200

LSU Star Angel Reese Has The Most NIL Deals In College Basketball, More Than Any Men’s Or Women’s Player

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news/lsu-star-angel-reese-has-the-most-nil-deals-in-college-basketball-more-than-any-mens-or-womens-player/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-04-02, 23:26

Turtleneck wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:It's funny because no one would know who Angel Reese is if it wasn't for Clark.

Caitlin Clark  - Page 4 200.gif?cid=ddb306a58ewkedn6x18onxevywb9h2vc37xws0ukcnhhn5pv&rid=200

LSU Star Angel Reese Has The Most NIL Deals In College Basketball, More Than Any Men’s Or Women’s Player

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news/lsu-star-angel-reese-has-the-most-nil-deals-in-college-basketball-more-than-any-mens-or-womens-player/

I had never heard of her until this weekend
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-02, 23:32

Turtleneck wrote:I guess it isn't just you, DWags.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2023/04/02/referees-lsu-iowa-ruin-title-game-atrocious-officiating/11589683002/

I do not like Kim Mulkey and like her clothing choices even less, but she is an amazing coach. She just wins.

Sexist.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-03, 00:03

DWags wrote:Stupid take: Reese showed enormous respect to Clark by seeking her out immediately after the game instead of celebrating with her team. Two great competitors. Let it go.

Let’s talk about the officiating.

[tw]1642634905220775939?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-04-03, 01:18

The internet has a bad take. I for one am outraged about the outrage!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-03, 06:23

duffy munn wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I had never heard of her until this weekend

And even more ironic, we are talking about Angel Reese...in a Caitlin Clark thread.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-04-03, 07:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The internet has a bad take. I for one am outraged about the outrage!

I'm more outraged about what she's wearing. Did she fall into a gold plating vat on her way to the game?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-03, 07:40

duffy munn wrote:

I think Reese was a little salty that Clark got so much coverage.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and GRR Spartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-03, 07:44

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The internet has a bad take. I for one am outraged about the outrage!

Which bad take are you referring to?

I think Portnoy calling her a POS is extreme.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-03, 11:36

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I think Reese was a little salty that Clark got so much coverage.

That and I bet Mulkey put a giant chip on their shoulder going into this game. Mulkey likely convinced her team nobody respected them and really riled them up.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

GRR Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next