Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

solution to anti Rcmb dillema

+34
Dendrobates
Murphy Green
Notorious GiB
I Still Hate Weber State
InTenSity
AvgMSUJoe
tVideoCat
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
Giant Moose
Trevor Barnes
Snake Plissken
Ned Stark
duffy munn
Spartan Punk
Minnie
Bud Fox
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
Heat Miser
JEK
Death Roe
MSURed
Rocinante
TrueGreenSpartan
tanfan!
AMwood
Floyd Robertson
Ass Dan
xsanguine
ROtown Sparty
LoneWolfSparty
tTito
Blanch32
38 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 Empty Re: solution to anti Rcmb dillema

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-04-25, 10:50

JEK wrote:
In the history of the world, there are zero instances of business owners losing customers to competition and being "glad" about it.

Is Trev a "business owner"? Is there actually a revenue source from 247? I always assumed not so much....(that's why he got out of the business of hosting it.)

Last edited by AvgMSUJoe on 2014-04-25, 10:54; edited 1 time in total
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-25, 10:52

Trevor, can the Swill borrow your tailgating stuff Saturday since you won't be using it?
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-04-25, 10:53

solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 276803595
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-04-25, 10:56

tVideoKid wrote:

And if I were Trevor , I'd gladly trade that loss of advertising traffic to no longer deal with many of you.

There's always going to be shitheads on the internet. But I don't see what good can come from losing your core membership base that goes back 15+ years.

I'm sure Trevor will be fine but I"m not buying he's happy about it. BEST case scenario, he's indifferent.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State 2014-04-25, 11:01

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Is Trev a "business owner"? Is there actually a revenue source from 247? I always assumed not so much....(that's why he got out of the business of hosting it.)

Well they can't be getting much from advertising since their advertising page is the classic 247 "Welcome to the end of the internet!" page.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Barnes 2014-04-25, 11:06

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:

Well they can't be getting much from advertising since their advertising page is the classic 247 "Welcome to the end of the internet!" page.
This page?

(sorry, couldn't get the image to load apparently)

Last edited by Trevor Barnes on 2014-04-25, 11:08; edited 1 time in total
Trevor Barnes
Trevor Barnes
Perioikos

http://www.spartantailgate.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-04-25, 11:07

I'd bet the "writers" and other content provider peeps get a little something (LITTLE, like flipping burgers could replace that income)... I doubt Trev is paying for the kid's college from 247.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-25, 11:08

Trevor Barnes wrote:
This page?

solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 Screenshot%202014-04-25%2011.06.08

solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 9k=
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State 2014-04-25, 11:09

Trevor Barnes wrote:
This page?

solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 Screenshot%202014-04-25%2011.06.08

Can't see your pic, but they must have just corrected it. Using both the drop-down menu at the top and Advertising link at the bottom returned the end of the internet page when I looked 5 minutes ago.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-04-25, 11:09

NigelUno wrote:

My assumption is that the success of the football team has generated an increase in paying subscriptions, and that the message board is a minor annoyance to you at this point...meaning relatively speaking, you get way too many complaints about something that isn't generating that much revenue.  

I used to think that. I think now I'm more of a mind that he's just moved on. Like how after you graduate college and you go back to your hometown and you hang with your friends from High School and realize that they're all still doing the same shit and acting the same and you ask yourself "Is this me anymore?" and the inevitable answer is no, so you go get a wife, have a kid and still check in with them every once in a while but it's not really that fun and you don't laugh at their jokes anymore and eventually you just kinda phase into your adult life.

Like that.

But maybe what you said too.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State 2014-04-25, 11:11

Can't see your pic, but they must have just corrected it. Using both the drop-down menu at the top and Advertising link at the bottom returned the end of the internet page when I looked 5 minutes ago.

FYI, the "More" drop down menu link still doesn't work.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Barnes 2014-04-25, 11:33

Rocinante wrote:
I used to think that.  I think now I'm more of a mind that he's just moved on.  Like how after you graduate college and you go back to your hometown and you hang with your friends from High School and realize that they're all still doing the same shit and acting the same and you ask yourself "Is this me anymore?" and the inevitable answer is no, so you go get a wife, have a kid and still check in with them every once in a while but it's not really that fun and you don't laugh at their jokes anymore and eventually you just kinda phase into your adult life.  

Like that.

But maybe what you said too.
A lot has changed in 20 years. I just read recently that each "internet year" is more like 4.7 regular years. That means the RCMB has been around for 89.3 internet years. 89 years can change one's outlook a bit. I think things are probably moving away from message boards in general to be honest, or already have.

Also keep in mind that one person's "ideal version of the RCMB" isn't necessarily someone else's or mine. Tanfan's (bless him, still like the guy) idea of the RCMB's "golden era" is probably way different than mine for instance. Doesn't mean either of us is wrong. Personally, my favorite era was the late 90's, something like 4 software changes before vBulletin even.

The site has always changed over time in one way or another. If there's been anything constant with the RCMB, it's that people will come and go, even some people you like. Always been that way.
Trevor Barnes
Trevor Barnes
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Notorious GiB 2014-04-25, 11:40

blanch32 wrote:

Your missing a few.  Mainly the ones I've bedded and will keep nameless for their own sake

Good idea. Wouldn't want them to all file slander suits against you for what would be an obvious lie.
Notorious GiB
Notorious GiB
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-04-25, 11:46

Trevor Barnes wrote:
A lot has changed in 20 years.  I just read recently that each "internet year" is more like 4.7 regular years.    That means the RCMB has been around for 89.3 internet years.   89 years can change one's outlook a bit.  I think things are probably moving away from message boards in general to be honest, or already have.

Also keep in mind that one person's "ideal version of the RCMB" isn't necessarily someone else's or mine.  Tanfan's (bless him, still like the guy) idea of the RCMB's "golden era" is probably way different than mine for instance.  Doesn't mean either of us is wrong.     Personally, my favorite era was the late 90's, something like 4 software changes before vBulletin even.  

The site has always changed over time in one way or another.  If there's been anything constant with the RCMB, it's that people will come and go, even some people you like.  Always been that way.
I think your missing it with the message board portion. I think they will always be popular, especially as they become one of the few places you can remain relatively anonymous if you want. 

Then again, a long time ago I worked for VZW, this was probably around 99-01 or sometime in there. I couldn't, for the life of me, understand why people would want to text instead of just pick up the phone and call someone. I don't think I sold a single plan with texting and I thought it was a rip off. So, what I'm saying here is, I'm not good on picking up on popular trends.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-04-25, 11:46

Trevor Barnes wrote:
A lot has changed in 20 years.  I just read recently that each "internet year" is more like 4.7 regular years.    That means the RCMB has been around for 89.3 internet years.   89 years can change one's outlook a bit.  I think things are probably moving away from message boards in general to be honest, or already have.

Also keep in mind that one person's "ideal version of the RCMB" isn't necessarily someone else's or mine.  Tanfan's (bless him, still like the guy) idea of the RCMB's "golden era" is probably way different than mine for instance.  Doesn't mean either of us is wrong.     Personally, my favorite era was the late 90's, something like 4 software changes before vBulletin even.  

The site has always changed over time in one way or another.  If there's been anything constant with the RCMB, it's that people will come and go, even some people you like.  Always been that way.

Well, I appreciate your candor. I personally felt that there was a lot of heavy moderation there, and that's one of the reasons I hope this place succeeds. I understand the need for it. As ghost said, your creation has become the de facto Michigan State University board. There's a lot of pressure with that. I just think there's still a need (or desire anyway) for internet silliness.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-25, 11:47

Trevor Barnes wrote:

Interesting take. I still miss the arcade.  solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 4177874726 
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-04-25, 11:48

Trevor Barnes wrote:
Blanch, that's not at all true actually.   Trust me, I'm doing just fine.  Wink

Financial I'm sure. This board is less than a month old. 3 to 6 months from now however.....

....and if things are so great, wtf are you over here in the first place when you already have your uptopia over there?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-04-25, 11:50

Trevor Barnes wrote:
No Moose, I'm not lying.  I'm not happy with the way the upgrade went, no.  That said, I'm not having the negative reaction to forumotion that I think most of you are assuming.  There's definitely some goodness in it from my standpoint. The way you look at things changes over the course of 20 years. I doubt I'll visit here much, but I'm glad that some have found a happy home.

Some???? Some?????
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-04-25, 11:51

Giant Moose wrote:We are making baby steps, people. Trevor finally said something negative about 247.

Haha hahaha. Sooo true! We are now past the denial stage of acceptance!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-04-25, 12:08

tVideoKid wrote:
I wouldn't give up football even if my wife was killed by a football.

Awwww shit!!!! Did the swill bring back tKid? When will you be signing printouts of your F Summer thread??
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-04-25, 12:11

Notorious GiB wrote:

Good idea. Wouldn't want them to all file slander suits against you for what would be an obvious lie.

Lawsuit?? Ok that would be pretty damn funny. Lol
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Murphy Green 2014-04-25, 12:17

LoneWolfSparty wrote:Why does it always have to be about you? solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 502811600

Blanch is a DAW (Desperate Attention Whore) doncha know? Wink 
Murphy Green
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Barnes 2014-04-25, 13:05

InTenSityX wrote:
I think your missing it with the message board portion. I think they will always be popular, especially as they become one of the few places you can remain relatively anonymous if you want. 
Maybe. People and technology change though. I think it's a good bet that if this place is still around in 5 years, a lot of the same people who are posting here now, won't be then. Same goes for the RCMB. Nature of the beast.
Trevor Barnes
Trevor Barnes
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-25, 13:06

Trevor Barnes wrote:Maybe. People and technology change though. I think it's a good bet that if this place is still around in 5 years, a lot of the same people who are posting here now, won't be then. Same goes for the RCMB. Nature of the beast.

The Geronte will stick around.....
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-04-25, 13:09

MSURed wrote:

Dendro's good for that too.

A little Dendro trivia - I recently learned that a dendrophiliac is someone who has sex with trees. Which seems hard, but not impossible, for a chick. Dendro care to explain?

I can out belch anyone!

I remember you telling me about that. But Dendrobates is the Genus name for specific poison dart frogs. Probably dendro has something to do with trees. Never tried to have sex with one. Don't think I will try....I don't like splinters.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-04-25, 13:10

Trevor Barnes wrote:
Maybe.  People and technology change though.  I think it's a good bet that if this place is still around in 5 years, a lot of the same people who are posting here now, won't be then.  Same goes for the RCMB.  Nature of the beast.

But has the technology on tRCMB changed? For the better?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-04-25, 13:11

Heat Miser wrote:

Interesting. So would a Dendrobater be someone who masturbates near, or while sitting under or in, trees? If so, is the username Dendrobates akin to a username of masterbates, but with a tree fetish?

Dendrobates is pronounced as: Den-dro-bay-tees

It doesn't rhythm with masturbates. I honestly didn't think about that until I joined tRCMB and people thought I was trying to make a masturbation joke.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Barnes 2014-04-25, 13:14

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

The Geronte will stick around.....
Geronte is an interesting Google Image Search.
Trevor Barnes
Trevor Barnes
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-04-25, 13:14

Dendrobates wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Interesting. So would a Dendrobater be someone who masturbates near, or while sitting under or in, trees? If so, is the username Dendrobates akin to a username of masterbates, but with a tree fetish?

Dendrobates is pronounced as: Den-dro-bay-tees

It doesn't rhythm with masturbates. I honestly didn't think about that until I joined tRCMB and people thought I was trying to make a masturbation joke.

Disappointing, but good to know.  solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 328670334 
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-04-25, 13:14

I'm not NOT licking toads...

solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 Homer_eyes2
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-04-25, 13:20

Rocinante wrote:I'm not NOT licking toads...

solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 Homer_eyes2

You lick a Dendrobates, you gone.  solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 3609021617 solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 3836498553
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Barnes 2014-04-25, 13:23

Dendrobates wrote:

You lick a Dendrobates, you gone.  solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 3609021617 solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 3836498553
That was actually one of our tailgating rules.
Trevor Barnes
Trevor Barnes
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-04-25, 13:24

Dendrobates wrote:

You sorely underestimate my talents.  solution to anti Rcmb dillema - Page 3 3742235224 
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2014-04-25, 13:26

Trevor Barnes wrote:
That was actually one of our tailgating rules.

everybody had to lick dendrobates?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-04-25, 13:31

Trevor Barnes wrote:Maybe. People and technology change though. I think it's a good bet that if this place is still around in 5 years, a lot of the same people who are posting here now, won't be then. Same goes for the RCMB. Nature of the beast.

Trevor that s your #1 problem. Not giving a shit about retention and treating all users like a number. If you somehow rewarded the key contributors like this site will do, they simply will not have a reason to drop off completely.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-04-25, 13:31

Trevor Barnes wrote:That was actually one of our tailgating rules.

Even RCMB tailgates were moderated!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-04-25, 13:36

Trevor -

Can you take blanch back with you?

KThanks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-04-25, 13:38

NigelUno wrote:Trevor -  

Can you take blanch back with you?

KThanks.

This.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-04-25, 13:40

duffy munn wrote:

This.

Duffy: when in the world do you prefer this board to the fun and sunshine that is trcmb?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-04-25, 13:44

blanch32 wrote:

Duffy:  when in the world do you prefer this board to the fun and sunshine that is trcmb?

Ask the question in English and I will respond.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next