Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Ramblings

+32
MSU addict
DWags
Pervis Muldoon
The Pantry
Motown Spartan
InTenSity
Nordic
Dendrobates
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
MiamiSpartan
Trapper Gus
y2kMgrad
Other Teams Pursuing That
aualum06
PennSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
Turtleneck
Probably CF
TrapperGus
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Heat Miser
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
Bill Cain
tGreenWay
SawGreen
AvgMSUJoe
36 posters

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Random Ramblings Empty Random Ramblings

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-09-17, 12:55

Rocinante wrote:I am building a shed this weekend. If I’m honest it will take me longer than a weekend to finish it. I’ll be lucky to have it done before the first snow.

Oooo... make sure it's plumb. Mine ended up looking like it should be at the mystery spot. Luckily the tree the wife planted in front of it filled out and I don't have to be reminded of failing.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Rocinante likes this post

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings Empty Re: Random Ramblings

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-18, 10:52

Fuck I'm hungover
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2021-09-18, 11:12

Rocinante wrote:I am building a shed this weekend. If I’m honest it will take me longer than a weekend to finish it. I’ll be lucky to have it done before the first snow.
I'm in your club. I have a horrible affliction when it comes to projects. I could fuck up 10x over and get some things done sooner than planning and re-planning.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Rocinante likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-20, 16:48

Riding mower runs fine when it's cold but has gotten balky after it warms up and then stalls. Happened again today...left it in the backyard.

Called the place I bought it from 17 years ago to get an estimate on a tune-up. $350 including pickup/deliver but said they're backed up in service about 4 weeks having only 2 mechanics. Explained to her how it was running/stalling. She said it might be vapor lock from a clogged gas cap vent.

Sure enough, the tiny hole (only big enough for an eyeglass screwdriver) in the gas cap was plugged with fine debris. Cleaned it out and the mower is running fine again.

So refreshing to get good/simple/cost-saving advice.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, Dendrobates, Motown Spartan, DWags and SawGreen like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-09-21, 17:15

She huh? Tell me more of this grease covered goddess.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-21, 18:59

Rocinante wrote:She huh? Tell me more of this grease covered goddess.
You having a problem with a woman that knows more about power lawn and garden equipment than you, I, and everyone else here combined?

For your spank bank, she's pretty hot for maybe 65. I think she does Pilates or something. Might own the place.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-21, 19:15

The Pantry wrote:Riding mower runs fine when it's cold but has gotten balky after it warms up and then stalls. Happened again today...left it in the backyard.

Called the place I bought it from 17 years ago to get an estimate on a tune-up. $350 including pickup/deliver but said they're backed up in service about 4 weeks having only 2 mechanics. Explained to her how it was running/stalling. She said it might be vapor lock from a clogged gas cap vent.

Sure enough, the tiny hole (only big enough for an eyeglass screwdriver) in the gas cap was plugged with fine debris. Cleaned it out and the mower is running fine again.

So refreshing to get good/simple/cost-saving advice.

That's so nice when you find out a simple fix to something that would normally cost you a lot of money.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-25, 16:53

There’s a visceral dislike I feel for Johnny Depp. It’s almost entirely because he tries way too hard to come off as cool. Same goes for Lenny Kravitz, but at least he’s got some decent music to listen to.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-09-25, 18:29

Agree on Depp... he just looks gross to me.

Disagree about Lenny. He is cool.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-25, 18:46

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Agree on Depp... he just looks gross to me.

Disagree about Lenny. He is cool.

It seems forced from both of them. Lenny does have a cool factor, but it still seems to me he’s trying a little too hard.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-09-25, 20:03

Johnny Depp played slide guitar on Fade In-Out, he's cool in my book.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-09-25, 21:05

Let love rule.

Game set match Lenny.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-09-25, 22:22

Cameron wrote:Johnny Depp played slide guitar on Fade In-Out, he's cool in my book.

Johnny Depp is great in the Hollywood Vampires.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-09-26, 11:02

Be happy your kid doesn't have food allergies.

This is one of the few "generic" alternatives to the Epipen.

Random Ramblings Output12

We have to have three sets of them and the typical expiration date is less that a year.  Like many things, they are very difficult to source  right now.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-26, 11:12

Saw this article today:

11 indicted in fraternity pledge's alcohol poisoning death

Couple guys from my floor joined Delta Chi.  Occasionally google map MSU and EL to see what's changed.  Noticed DC's old place on Woodmere & GR is now Phi Kappa Psi.  Didn't know  MSU's Delta Chi chapter was suspended in 2018.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-26, 11:14

MSU addict wrote:Be happy your kid doesn't have food allergies.

We have to have three sets of them and the typical expiration date is less that a year.  Like many things, they are very difficult to source  right now.
That price is nuts.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-09-26, 11:28

Nuts are the problem (along with peanuts, some other legumes and seeds).
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-09-26, 18:13

At the mother in laws birthday party... these people.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-26, 18:39

AvgMSUJoe wrote:At the mother in laws birthday party... these people.

Throw the words bitch and Cun- around a bit. Liven things up a bit. Record it and post the results. TIA.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-27, 16:31

That is such BS
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-09-27, 17:15

Dendrobates wrote:

That is such BS
It is BS. A vial of epinephrine cost roughly $5. What you pay for - what is patented and must be approved by the FDA - is the auto injector.

We have insurance but our insurance only covers one type of auto injector that is impossible to get right now and they say will not be available for about a year (if then). My daughter is required to have her own set at school and the set we have there is expired. The school is suggesting that they may not allow her in class unless we can provide a set.

Normally there are some "coupons" available for people people without insurance that brings the actual cost down to around $400. But this is a different world right now and auto injectors (especially the junior ones for kids) are almost impossible to get. People are willing to pay pretty much whatever to source a set.

We went to pick those up and they said they were not available and their communication was a "mistake."
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-27, 17:41

MSU addict wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

That is such BS
It is BS. A vial of epinephrine cost roughly $5. What you pay for - what is patented and must be approved by the FDA - is the auto injector.

We have insurance but our insurance only covers one type of auto injector that is impossible to get right now and they say will not be available for about a year (if then). My daughter is required to have her own set at school and the set we have there is expired. The school is suggesting that they may not allow her in class unless we can provide a set.

Normally there are some "coupons" available for people people without insurance that brings the actual cost down to around $400. But this is a different world right now and auto injectors (especially the junior ones for kids) are almost impossible to get. People are willing to pay pretty much whatever to source a set.

We went to pick those up and they said they were not available and their communication was a "mistake."
Prescription drugs are a massive scam that will never be investigated.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2021-09-27, 18:49

The Pantry wrote:
MSU addict wrote:It is BS. A vial of epinephrine cost roughly $5. What you pay for - what is patented and must be approved by the FDA - is the auto injector.

The FDA became funded up to about 50% by the pharmaceuticals several years ago. I'm just going to stop now. But it is true. I will only offer this, because the folks here seem to be all in on the government acting in their best interests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQ6JklHjBc
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-27, 19:11

MSU addict wrote:Nuts are the problem (along with peanuts, some other legumes and seeds).

Totally ridiculous.
Years ago, I spent a few years becoming desensitized to bee stings using actual venom. Is there a similar treatment for people with nut allergies? If yes, I highly recommend it. I don’t even need to carry around an epi-pen or its generic anymore.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-27, 19:27

The Pantry wrote:Saw this article today:

11 indicted in fraternity pledge's alcohol poisoning death

Couple guys from my floor joined Delta Chi.  Occasionally google map MSU and EL to see what's changed.  Noticed DC's old place on Woodmere & GR is now Phi Kappa Psi.  Didn't know  MSU's Delta Chi chapter was suspended in 2018.

I just noticed Sigma Chi isn’t living in their longtime house next to the Christian Science church on GRiv Ave. I wondered what happened to them. It was t until last summer that I noticed DChi was out of their house, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2021-09-27, 19:28

tGreenWay wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Nuts are the problem (along with peanuts, some other legumes and seeds).

Totally ridiculous.
Years ago, I spent a few years becoming desensitized to bee stings using actual venom. Is there a similar treatment for people with nut allergies? If yes, I highly recommend it. I don’t even need to carry around an epi-pen or its generic anymore.

There is. I will take a quick peek, but years ago, I watched evidence of it. If it is introduced in a controlled manner, the allergy goes away.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-27, 19:46

SawGreen wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

The FDA became funded up to about 50% by the pharmaceuticals several years ago.  I'm just going to stop now.  But it is true.  I will only offer this, because the folks here seem to be all in on the government acting in their best interests.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQ6JklHjBc
Good vid.  Not including the vaccines, things have been moving way too fast.

Prescription drug ads seem to be close to 50% of all TV advertising.  The list of side effects for most are ridiculous.  Why are pharmaceutical drugs being advertised to the public?  Shouldn't they be selling their drugs to doctors that can recommend/write prescriptions?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2021-09-27, 20:02

The Pantry wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

The FDA became funded up to about 50% by the pharmaceuticals several years ago.  I'm just going to stop now.  But it is true.  I will only offer this, because the folks here seem to be all in on the government acting in their best interests.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQ6JklHjBc
Good vid.  Not including the vaccines, things have been moving way too fast.

Prescription drug ads seem to be close to 50% of all TV advertising.  The list of side effects for most are ridiculous.  Why are pharmaceutical drugs being advertised to the public?  Shouldn't they be selling their drugs to doctors that can recommend/write prescriptions?

I said I would stop, and I will try... honest racist injun.

Number 1... to your last point. I entirely agree about doctor/patient decisions. Public opinion and the vaxes are (IMO) entirely why there is still no early treatment for covid in the US to date (while monoclonal antibody treatment is gaining steam). Those treatments were in direct competition to pharma.

So, a few facts, non-FDA approved EUA (emergency use authorization) drugs can NOT have commercials. So, there's that. Stretch it however you may. Then, I actually did research into who advertises on what channels/networks. There isn't an absolute direct correlation between the top network donors. But, if you go a level or two further, and tie in ownership shares, the correlations are amazing.

Theoretical example (and based on pure memory fumes), BlackRock is a top 10 contributor to MSNBC. And they also own 43% of Phizer.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-27, 20:11

SawGreen wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Totally ridiculous.

There is. I will take a quick peek, but years ago, I watched evidence of it. If it is introduced in a controlled manner, the allergy goes away.

Not going to lie, but I was a little scared starting the process, mostly because I’d had a couple of close calls requiring treatment. It made sense to me that using the venom in increasingly larger doses would reduce my most life-threatening reactions, but a part of me still thought ‘what if I have a serious reaction in the doctor’s office?’ I still went through with it and because I got distracted a few times and didn’t go, I had to start several doses back and repeat things. That’s why it took me longer than it usually does. But I get stung now and it’s no big deal.
You won’t stop worrying about your kid, but maybe you can relax a little big because there’s some protection.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

SawGreen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-09-27, 23:13

tGreenWay wrote:

Totally ridiculous.
Years ago, I spent a few years becoming desensitized to bee stings using actual venom.  Is there a similar treatment for people with nut allergies? If yes, I highly recommend it. I don’t even need to carry around an epi-pen or its generic anymore.
There is, it is called oral immunotherapy.  It is very effective with young children (under 36 months) less so as the child gets older.  We sought out this treatment when we lived in Michigan  - Dr. Chad Mayer in Novi is one of the most advanced at it in the world.  He himself was an allergy kid, and is a tremendous pediatric allergist.  I would highly recommend him to anyone.  

Unfortunately it did not work out for us.  Her IgE numbers were just too high and they have continued to increase as she has aged.  She has had full blood testing, breaking it down into component parts.  Her numbers are just bad and they are bad on in the specific areas you don't want them to be.

This link does a decent job of explaining component testing for peanuts.

Peanut Component Testing

Last edited by MSU addict on 2021-09-28, 07:33; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-09-27, 23:25

tGreenWay wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

There is. I will take a quick peek, but years ago, I watched evidence of it.  If it is introduced in a controlled manner, the allergy goes away.

Not going to lie, but I was a little scared starting the process, mostly because I’d had a couple of close calls requiring treatment. It made sense to me that using the venom in increasingly larger doses would reduce my most life-threatening reactions, but a part of me still thought ‘what if I have a serious reaction in the doctor’s office?’ I still went through with it and because I got distracted a few times and didn’t go, I had to start several doses back and repeat things. That’s why it took me longer than it usually does. But I get stung now and it’s no big deal.
You won’t stop worrying about your kid, but maybe you can relax a little big because there’s some protection.
Trust me, if you are going to have an allergic reaction that is the exact place you want to be (in a doctors office that is a certified allergy facility).

I know that from experience - our daughter had an anaphylactic reaction when they were challenging her on mustard.  Her mustard number is not that high but it was still an epic failure.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2021-09-30, 00:23

I figured out what I want to do in life. I’m going to law school and I want to work in politics
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-09-30, 00:29

Seems perfect for you, Bill. Vacuous, superficial, and self-aggrandizing. You've found your calling.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-30, 02:50

MSU addict wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Totally ridiculous.
Years ago, I spent a few years becoming desensitized to bee stings using actual venom.  Is there a similar treatment for people with nut allergies? If yes, I highly recommend it. I don’t even need to carry around an epi-pen or its generic anymore.
There is, it is called oral immunotherapy.  It is very effective with young children (under 36 months) less so as the child gets older.  We sought out this treatment when we lived in Michigan  - Dr. Chad Mayer in Novi is one of the most advanced at it in the world.  He himself was an allergy kid, and is a tremendous pediatric allergist.  I would highly recommend him to anyone.  

Unfortunately it did not work out for us.  Her IgE numbers were just too high and they have continued to increase as she has aged.  She has had full blood testing, breaking it down into component parts.  Her numbers are just bad and they are bad on in the specific areas you don't want them to be.

Peanut Component Testing

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for your girl. Nut allergies seem vicious, and everyone in the family has to constantly be on guard.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-30, 02:55

MSU addict wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Trust me, if you are going to have an allergic reaction that is the exact place you want to be (in a doctors office that is a certified allergy facility).

I know that from experience - our daughter had an anaphylactic reaction when they were challenging her on mustard.  Her mustard number is not that high but it was still an epic failure.

I agree, if you’re going to have a reaction, that’s as good as it gets. My comment was more a reference to wanting to be in a hospital where they have more drugs and staff, plus more life saving equipment if it’s needed. That’s where I wound up a couple of times, so I’m more familiar with it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-09-30, 07:16

30 days has September...and all the rest I don't remember.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-09-30, 09:10

tGreenWay wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

Peanut Component Testing

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for your girl. Nut allergies seem vicious, and everyone in the family has to constantly be on guard.
Not to get on a soap box, but for us her nut allergies are manageable. Peanuts and tree nuts have to be labeled and disclosed and I think most people understand that people can have life threatening allergic reactions to them.

We have a much harder time with allergens that do not need to be disclosed. Her worst numbers are for sesame and flax seed. Mustard is another huge problem for us because it is in so many things and it is almost never disclosed (just listed as spices).

She once had an anaphylactic reaction after eating a chicken nugget. The "whole grain" breading included flax seed (FWIW, it is not a grain) which was not labeled - not is it required to be.

The good news - Sesame will be required to be labeled in the United States beginning January 1, 2023, under the FASTER act. The act also provides a mechanism for other allergens to be evaluated for future labeling. Sometime the United States government does actually work.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-30, 11:42

MSU addict wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Not to get on a soap box, but for us her nut allergies are manageable. Peanuts and tree nuts have to be labeled and disclosed and I think most people understand that people can have life threatening allergic reactions to them.

We have a much harder time with allergens that do not need to be disclosed. Her worst numbers are for sesame and flax seed. Mustard is another huge problem for us because it is in so many things and it is almost never disclosed (just listed as spices).

She once had an anaphylactic reaction after eating a chicken nugget. The "whole grain" breading included flax seed (FWIW, it is not a grain) which was not labeled - not is it required to be.

The good news - Sesame will be required to be labeled in the United States beginning January 1, 2023, under the FASTER act. The act also provides a mechanism for other allergens to be evaluated for future labeling. Sometime the United States government does actually work.

Wow, thanks for providing that info. I had no idea things like that weren't labeled in foods. God that sounds terrible dealing with that, and making sure you're prepared for the worst at all times.

I remember at least 10 some years ago, the whole nut allergy thing used to really piss people off accommodating that. But today, it's very acceptable and often asked all the time. I really try to ask with every kid that comes to my house if they have any allergies. It's a simple thing to do to help out someone else.

Just thinking about all this, I feel like every school should have an epi pen stocked. Teachers should be trained, and the government should fund it. Similar to how defibrillators are installed in so many places. Yes, they expire, but fuck it. These are kids lives with a "simple " solution to prepare for. Especially if a reaction happens and no one knew that allergy existed.

Just thoughts on my mind about that.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2021-09-30, 12:43

Henry Ford...a man with good bloodlines.

If you believe that, you have good bloodlines :)
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-09-30, 13:24

What a disappointing lunch today. Grabbed what I thought to be a Curry Chicken Wrap from the Grab N Go counter at the local food co-op. Turns out it was a Curry Chickpea Wrap....
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next