Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT - Parents in Michigan

+18
ancientspartan
Herbie Green
MSU addict
Watch Out Pylon!
The_Dude
MasonGuy
WhiteBoyHatcher
Cym Jim
Rocinante
Izzo Court
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
LoneWolfSparty
Robert J Sakimano
I.B. Fine
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
Nommad2
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OT  - Parents in Michigan Empty OT - Parents in Michigan

Post by Nommad2 Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 10:06

Be aware of this law that will probably pass. And a big F U C K YOU to our Senate, and our Governor if it does. There's no way in Hell I'm putting my oldest son back in a booster. I got rid of it at 8, and I'm not buying another, just because he's a couple inches short. Go get f u c k e d Michigan Senate. OT  - Parents in Michigan 901027492

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan-senate-plans-to-approve-updated-child-safety-seat-rules/30033290
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

OT  - Parents in Michigan Empty Re: OT - Parents in Michigan

Post by xsanguine Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 10:15

Government regulations are only meant to keep us safe, bro. Didn't you know?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 10:24

xsanguine wrote:Government regulations are only meant to keep us safe and stimulate the economy for our favorite donors, errr, consituents, bro. Didn't you know?

I added the part you left out. Hope you don't mind.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 10:25

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He's getting at that age where he'll probably grow another two inches overnight. And anyway, those disfunctional fukcs couldn't get a bill through both houses if their lives depended on it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 10:31

4' 9" tall? I'm sure there are plenty of adults out there that don't meet that criteria, are they all required to be in booster seats while they drive?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 10:35

if you have daughters, Forbin will gladly give them a ride..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 11:41

Nommad2 wrote:Be aware of this law that will probably pass. And a big F U C K YOU to our Senate, and our Governor if it does. There's no way in Hell I'm putting my oldest son back in a booster. I got rid of it at 8, and I'm not buying another, just because he's a couple inches short. Go get f u c k e d Michigan Senate. OT  - Parents in Michigan 901027492

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan-senate-plans-to-approve-updated-child-safety-seat-rules/30033290

Never been pulled over or questioned when pulled over about child safety restraint. Nanny state at its best. They are trying to rush this because the next state congress is even more conservative and less likely to pass this crap.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 11:49

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Never been pulled over or questioned when pulled over about child safety restraint. Nanny state at its best. They are trying to rush this because the next state congress is even more conservative and less likely to pass this crap.
You know that this bill is sponsored by Conservatives, yes? Or did you not know that? I'm guessing you did not know that.

Look at their names here
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 11:53

I.B. Fine wrote:4' 9" tall? I'm sure there are plenty of adults out there that don't meet that criteria, are they all required to be in booster seats while they drive?
I knew some gymnasts at State that would be borderline.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 11:59

This law is horseshit. I had to turn the car seat for my 18 month old around because it was such a pain in the ass getting him in it. It was like a damn street fight every single time I had to strap him in. And being a guy with big shoulders I could barely squeeze in between the door and back of the car seat to strap him in. There is no way on this Earth he could remain rear facing until he is 4.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 11:59

The funny thing is that there's nothing all that secure about booster seats. They aren't tethered to the car and I don't believe that they undergo the testing that car seats do. A phone book (do those still exist?) or pillows would be just as good. The point is just to raise the kid enough so that the shoulder strap properly goes across their chest and not their neck. But that will vary by car, depending on how high the shoulder strap connects to the car. There are also straps that can be bought to pull the shoulder strap down a little, so that it crosses the child at a lower point.

But politicians want to look like they care about people, regardless of whether it passes the logic test.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:03

Izzo Court wrote:This law is horseshit. I had to turn the car seat for my 18 month old around because it was such a pain in the ass getting him in it. It was like a damn street fight every single time I had to strap him in. And being a guy with big shoulders I could barely squeeze in between the door and back of the car seat to strap him in. There is no way on this Earth he could remain rear facing until he is 4.
That's not what the law is saying. This is what the article says:

"Children under age 4 who weigh less than 30 pounds would be in rear-facing seats. Those between 30 and 50 pounds would be in a forward-facing safety seat."

If your kid is over 30 pounds, they face forward. Not even politicians would be stupid enough to put 4 year olds rear facing. Forget what the kids want, it would be impossible if the child has legs.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:05

This seems like pro-life legislation to me. I mean, the data backs up the need to properly restrain kids of this size if you believe the NTSA in regards to one of the most scientifically studied aspects of vehicular travel. Aren't we just protecting those that can't protect themselves?

If you don't support this law, you are condoning Post-term abortion.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:20

Regardless of the issue of whether this should be a law or a recommendation or whatnot, don't the data consistently show that these things save kids lives and prevent serious injuries by quite significant amounts? You all sound like you'd stick your toddlers in the front without a seatbelt if it wasn't for the big mean government.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:25

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
You know that this bill is sponsored by Conservatives, yes? Or did you not know that? I'm guessing you did not know that.

Look at their names here

LWS thinks conservatives like freedom.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:29

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Look at their names here

Yes. However the new congress is even more conservative, so once this session is over there is no chance this passes.

I think I just repeat myself.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:31

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Yes. However the new congress is even more conservative, so once this session is over there is no chance this passes.

So they will hate freedom even more?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 12:40

Cym Jim wrote:Regardless of the issue of whether this should be a law or a recommendation or whatnot, don't the data consistently show that these things save kids lives and prevent serious injuries by quite significant amounts? You all sound like you'd stick your toddlers in the front without a seatbelt if it wasn't for the big mean government.
I haven't seen anyone complain about what this law means for toddlers, except one person that completely misread the law and thought 4 year olds would be rear facing.

Is there data on boosters saving lives? At least more so than a phone book or pillow? Again, boosters are about the placement of the seat belt relative to the child's neck. Sure, it would prevent a kid getting choked or their neck snapped with the seatbelt, but so could several other things prevent it just as much. That's an issue of parents paying attention to where the seat belt fits. The boosters carry no other protection that I'm aware of.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 13:18

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

The bill is proposed a republican. Put more of them in, and you get even more support for the bill. Right-wingers don't like freedom for PEOPLE, just freedom for businesses. Part of me thinks the bill is just a way for car seat makers to make more money.
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 13:29

What's the big deal? Booster seats are super easy. Try taking the infant seat out and putting it back in for tailgates 7-8x per year. I just throw that booster in the garage, toss it back in the car and it's all good.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 13:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:What's the big deal? Booster seats are super easy. Try taking the infant seat out and putting it back in for tailgates 7-8x per year. I just throw that booster in the garage, toss it back in the car and it's all good.

What's the deal with Ovaltine?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 13:45

Nommad2 wrote:Be aware of this law that will probably pass. And a big F U C K YOU to our Senate, and our Governor if it does. There's no way in Hell I'm putting my oldest son back in a booster. I got rid of it at 8, and I'm not buying another, just because he's a couple inches short. Go get f u c k e d Michigan Senate. OT  - Parents in Michigan 901027492

Remember and don't ever forget...they are smarter than you and they know what is best. Obey or turn yourself in.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 13:49

Everyone knows I'm a huge conservative and don't like government but I fail to see how protecting children is a pointless government regulation if they have data that supports the new law.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 13:57

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I haven't seen anyone complain about what this law means for toddlers, except one person that completely misread the law and thought 4 year olds would be rear facing.

Is there data on boosters saving lives?  At least more so than a phone book or pillow?  Again, boosters are about the placement of the seat belt relative to the child's neck.  Sure, it would prevent a kid getting choked or their neck snapped with the seatbelt, but so could several other things prevent it just as much.  That's an issue of parents paying attention to where the seat belt fits.  The boosters carry no other protection that I'm aware of.
Most boosters are just a phone book with a pillow on the top! They're very effective though, and can reduce risk of injury in a crash by 45 percent over a seat belt alone. It kills me driving behind folks whose kids aren't properly restrained. Sadly it's mostly low education and low SES folks, whose kids probably need the most help.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:03

I just throw my kids in the back of my Silverado and tell them to hang on.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:03

The_Dude wrote:Everyone knows I'm a huge conservative 
Noooooooooooooo. No no no no no. No. No.

I refuse to believe it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:05

The_Dude wrote:Everyone knows I'm a huge conservative and don't like government
If by conservative you mean douche, and by government you mean black people, then yes.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:15

Rocinante wrote:

If you don't support this law, you are condoning Post-term abortion.

Pro-life, heh. That's a good one.

Another way to get pulled over so that they can get after you for what they really want... to search your vehicle and hopefully find some plant material or alkaloids some sociopath at one time determined they have the grand authority to tell everyone else what to do.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:18

Cym Jim wrote:
If by conservative you mean douche, and by government you mean black people, then yes.

Black people believe they are a special authority and allowed to tell everyone else what to do and if one of the 'everyone else' attempts to determine their own well-being then black people send guys with guns out to kidnap and enslave them against their will until an extortion is met?

Jim... I thought you had a higher opinion of African Americans. Why insult them with the "government" label?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:22

The_Dude wrote:Everyone knows I'm a huge conservative and don't like government but I fail to see how protecting children is a pointless government regulation if they have data that supports the new law.

Actually you love government...but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:26

Turtleneck wrote:

OT  - Parents in Michigan 276803595
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:26

Cym Jim wrote:

I think you are a douchebag racist too, see how easy that is? Took me 2 seconds. Razz
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:26

Turtleneck wrote:

Glad to know! Twisted Evil
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:35

The_Dude wrote:

Glad to know! Twisted Evil

You know it but you can't admit it. I guess that is the difference between the false choice of modern American liberalism and conservatism. The former does not have a problem admitting their appreciation of big government, while the latter tries to hide it.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:48

Turtleneck wrote:

You know it but you can't admit it. I guess that is the difference between the false choice of modern American liberalism and conservatism. The former does not have a problem admitting their appreciation of big government, while the latter tries to hide it.

Geez... those are some really bad fucking choices.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:56

xsanguine wrote:

Geez... those are some really bad fucking choices.

Agreed.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:59

OT  - Parents in Michigan 1550444538

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 15:00; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 14:59

MiamiSpartan wrote:
30 lbs at 4 years of age is 5th percentile for boys and 10th percentile for girls - so a significant number of kids will be rear facing until near age four if not until they fully reach that age despite the huge increase in child obesity.

My wife and I are not big people (I weigh 150lbs) so I can pretty much guarantee that my daughter would be rear facing until about age four if the law passes.

The current guidance from the American Academy of Pediatrics says children should be rear facing until age two - not four.  I am sure our state government knows much more than they do about child car seat safety.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 15:02

MSU addict wrote:
I am sure our state government knows much more than they do about child car seat safety.

Yeah, those people tend to know what's best for everyone, all of the time.

And they'll make sure you agree with them about points all of the above... or else.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 15:04

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:What's the big deal? Booster seats are super easy. Try taking the infant seat out and putting it back in for tailgates 7-8x per year. I just throw that booster in the garage, toss it back in the car and it's all good.
My kid has been off the booster for more than 6 months now. He won't go back. He thinks boosters are "for babies."
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next