Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price of steak and bacon

+13
tTito
tMolson
Giant Moose
HT
Floyd Robertson
LoneWolfSparty
WhiteBoyHatcher
Rocinante
Triple Sparty
kingstonlake
Turtleneck
NigelUno
InTenSity
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Price of steak and bacon Empty Price of steak and bacon

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-22, 10:48

I went to Costco last night and was walking around, we needed a few things and usually buy most of our meat there, price is typically the lowest for best quality.

NY Strips or Ribeyes a month ago were $8.99/lb or so, last night they were $10.59/lb. It was a noticeable difference and a huge increase in comparison to other changes in price.

They changed their chicken vendor, apparently and that went down about 20 or 30 cents/lb, but negligible. We'll find out if the quality declined as well, since I don't like when Costco changes vendors, that typically means they went with a lower priced one who may or may not have the same quality.

The type of bacon we used to buy was $19.99 6 months ago, is now only $12.59 or so.

So beef has had about a 25% increase in price, chicken is down about 10% and bacon is down 40% or so? I didn't look at the pork prices, because we have quite a bit at home. Usually even just working in produce you hear about other commodities and the increase they've had in prices or the reason why there is a spike, but I haven't heard anything.

InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Price of steak and bacon Empty Re: Price of steak and bacon

Post by NigelUno 2015-05-22, 10:50

InTenSity wrote:I went to Costco last night and was walking around, we needed a few things and usually buy most of our meat there, price is typically the lowest for best quality.

NY Strips or Ribeyes a month ago were $8.99/lb or so, last night they were $10.59/lb. It was a noticeable difference and a huge increase in comparison to other changes in price.

They changed their chicken vendor, apparently and that went down about 20 or 30 cents/lb, but negligible. We'll find out if the quality declined as well, since I don't like when Costco changes vendors, that typically means they went with a lower priced one who may or may not have the same quality.

The type of bacon we used to buy was $19.99 6 months ago, is now only $12.59 or so.

So beef has had about a 25% increase in price, chicken is down about 10% and bacon is down 40% or so? I didn't look at the pork prices, because we have quite a bit at home. Usually even just working in produce you hear about other commodities and the increase they've had in prices or the reason why there is a spike, but I haven't heard anything.

Maybe they raised the prices on steaks because people grill out on Memorial Day?

Kind of like the price of avocados always goes up before the Super Bowl.

Or not.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-22, 10:51

Murder is getting expensive?

Edit: Should have read the whole post. It sounds like some murder is getting cheaper.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-22, 11:02

NigelUno wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I went to Costco last night and was walking around, we needed a few things and usually buy most of our meat there, price is typically the lowest for best quality.

Maybe they raised the prices on steaks because people grill out on Memorial Day?

Kind of like the price of avocados always goes up before the Super Bowl.

Or not.

Well I do know about the avocados. Superbowl is one of the biggest holiday's for it, and it usually coincides with some type of shortage. Usually that is pushed by Walmart who wants all the avocados in the world.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-05-22, 11:04

Do people tend to scatter when you approach the water cooler?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-05-22, 11:32

How do you remember what things cost six months ago?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-05-22, 11:45

Triple Sparty wrote:How do you remember what things cost six months ago?

This.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-22, 11:46

kingstonlake wrote:Do people tend to scatter when you approach the water cooler?

Yes. Suspect
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-22, 11:48

Triple Sparty wrote:How do you remember what things cost six months ago?

I don't remember what everything cost 6 months ago, but I remember a few items, that happens to be one of them. I dunno, I use them as a point of reference? I work as a buyer, so I pay attention to things other people probably don't, especially meats, fruits and veggies.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-05-22, 12:05

Poor people problems.

Wink
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-05-22, 12:48

Poor people problems.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-05-22, 12:48

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Poor people problems.

Wink

Price of steak and bacon 502811600
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-06-09, 06:56

Piglet Death Toll Stands at 400

DAYTON, Ohio —About 2,200 pigs were in a semitrailer that overturned in Xenia Township, and hundreds were set free in the crash.

The crash happened on eastbound US 35, near Main Street, before 8 p.m. Monday.

The semitrailer hauling the piglets somehow went over an embankment.

WLWT News 5's Jackie Congedo said a fire chief told her between 300-500 piglets were killed in the crash. Another 300-400 were loose from the crashed truck.

Price of steak and bacon WDTN-PIG-PICS--2--jpg

All that unrealized bacon. Price of steak and bacon 4177874726
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-09, 08:04

Floyd Robertson wrote:Piglet Death Toll Stands at 400

DAYTON, Ohio —About 2,200 pigs were in a semitrailer that overturned in Xenia Township, and hundreds were set free in the crash.

The crash happened on eastbound US 35, near Main Street, before 8 p.m. Monday.

The semitrailer hauling the piglets somehow went over an embankment.

WLWT News 5's Jackie Congedo said a fire chief told her between 300-500 piglets were killed in the crash. Another 300-400 were loose from the crashed truck.

Price of steak and bacon WDTN-PIG-PICS--2--jpg

All that unrealized bacon. Price of steak and bacon 4177874726

WBH should be buying some of those piglets to BBQ, that would be some tender meat.

On a side note I got some Ribeyes this weekend for $6.88 a pound, I was pretty pleased by the price but skeptical of the source since I'd never bought meat there before. They turned out to be pretty good.

Savalot
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-09, 10:41

There's a beef shortage supposedly coming. Thanks, China.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-09, 10:49

HT wrote:There's a beef shortage supposedly coming. Thanks, China.
Its more got to do with the freak cold snap that happened last year.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-09, 11:12

I remember when you could get a burger at McDonald's for 39 cents. I have no idea how much they cost now.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-09, 11:28

Giant Moose wrote:I remember when you could get a burger at McDonald's for 39 cents. I have no idea how much they cost now.
I think 49 cents, but no idea if they're beef.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-06-09, 11:40

Giant Moose wrote:I remember when you could get a burger at McDonald's for 39 cents. I have no idea how much they cost now.

Chris Webber could not come up with .39 cents?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-09, 12:05

Dammit why can't it be like when I was a young lad and you could get a burger, fries, a shake and change back from your dollar?

Price of steak and bacon 0efc46c8abed10547c7ea886654491dc

Price of steak and bacon 1811933421
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-09, 12:08

LooseGoose wrote:

Dammit why can't it be like when I was a young lad and you could get a burger, fries, a shake and change back from your dollar?

Price of steak and bacon 0efc46c8abed10547c7ea886654491dc

Price of steak and bacon 1811933421
Wasn't a good salary around $25,000 a year back then?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tMolson 2015-06-09, 12:25

LooseGoose wrote:
On a side note I got some Ribeyes this weekend for $6.88 a pound, I was pretty pleased by the price but skeptical of the source since I'd never bought meat there before. They turned out to be pretty good.

Check around to some of your local butcher shops. I'm pretty particular on how I like my streaks cut. The other weekend I picked up a bunch of ribeye's for 4.99lb, trimmed and cut to my liking. NY Strips were running the same price.
tMolson
tMolson
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-09, 12:33

tMolson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:
On a side note I got some Ribeyes this weekend for $6.88 a pound, I was pretty pleased by the price but skeptical of the source since I'd never bought meat there before.   They turned out to be pretty good.

Check around to some of your local butcher shops.  I'm pretty particular on how I like my streaks cut.  The other weekend I picked up a bunch of ribeye's for 4.99lb, trimmed and cut to my liking.  NY Strips were running the same price.  
I've seen strips at $4.99 but not Ribeyes, I'll have to check the next time I'm in a city. 
Up here Ribeyes tend to run $10-$12 most of the time, Delmonicos are in the same range and those are my 2 favorite grilling steaks.

I'm not a big fan of strips so I usually move to pork or chicken if that's my only decent steak choice.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tMolson 2015-06-09, 12:43

LooseGoose wrote:
tMolson wrote:

Check around to some of your local butcher shops.  I'm pretty particular on how I like my streaks cut.  The other weekend I picked up a bunch of ribeye's for 4.99lb, trimmed and cut to my liking.  NY Strips were running the same price.  
I've seen strips at $4.99 but not Ribeyes, I'll have to check the next time I'm in a city. 
Up here Ribeyes tend to run $10-$12 most of the time, Delmonicos are in the same range and those are my 2 favorite grilling steaks.

I'm not a big fan of strips so I usually move to pork or chicken if that's my only decent steak choice.

The shop I frequent isn't in the city, just a little podunk country family run place that's been around forever and prides themselves on doing things the right way.  You're up in TC right?  Their has to be a few of these places around?
tMolson
tMolson
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-06-09, 12:55

tMolson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

The shop I frequent isn't in the city, just a little podunk country family run place that's been around forever and prides themselves on doing things the right way.  You're up in TC right?  Their has to be a few of these places around?

I'm pretty sure when Loose says city he means Grayling.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-09, 13:08

Turtleneck wrote:
tMolson wrote:

Perhaps the thriving metropolis of Frederic?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-06-09, 13:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Pretty sure I saw him driving around Lewiston once. He looked nervous and was having a hard time dealing with the traffic.

Edit: I had some good food at the Frederic Inn a long, long time ago. I think. Not sure if that is the right name or if the place is still around.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-06-09, 13:33

Dutch people problems.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-09, 13:35

I request that InTenSity keeps this thread going with the latest prices every time he is at the grocery store.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-09, 13:41

Giant Moose wrote:I request that InTenSity keeps this thread going and updates us every time he is at the grocery store with the latest prices.
A gallon of milk at Publix is around $3.49 or so, at Costco its $2.79 or so. Chicken is $1.29/lb down from $1.49/lb, but its a new supplier, that is for the 'fryer' chicken. They had a water pressure cleaner for around $169, but I didn't see that over the weekend. You can get a 48 pack of 'Light Beer' for $21.79. They haven't had any of the Chimay Reserve (blue label), since Jan or Feb, and they sell that for $10.99 or 9.99, liquor stores all sell it for around $13.99. Coffee creamer 1/2 and 1/2 is $2.49 at Costco and $3.49 at Publix. I didn't look at pork prices, one of these times I should grab the Ahi Tuna, but I'm just not sure we can eat it all before it goes bad. They are about $35/lb. There were some huge lobsters in there a week ago, I think you could get 6 for $120.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-09, 13:41

tMolson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I'm east of TC about 90 miles.   East of Grayling, West of Mio.    Pretty slim pickings in this area for butcher shops.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-09, 13:44

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

lol, I was just in Frederic over the weekend - it's a true boomtown.  I try to make it down to Bay City/Saginaw once a month or so.   There's just enough people there to remind me why I dislike humanity in general.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-06-09, 13:45

InTenSity wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:I request that InTenSity keeps this thread going and updates us every time he is at the grocery store with the latest prices.
A gallon of milk at Publix is around $3.49 or so, at Costco its $2.79 or so. Chicken is $1.29/lb down from $1.49/lb, but its a new supplier, that is for the 'fryer' chicken. They had a water pressure cleaner for around $169, but I didn't see that over the weekend. You can get a 48 pack of 'Light Beer' for $21.79. They haven't had any of the Chimay Reserve (blue label), since Jan or Feb, and they sell that for $10.99 or 9.99, liquor stores all sell it for around $13.99. Coffee creamer 1/2 and 1/2 is $2.49 at Costco and $3.49 at Publix. I didn't look at pork prices, one of these times I should grab the Ahi Tuna, but I'm just not sure we can eat it all before it goes bad. They are about $35/lb. There were some huge lobsters in there a week ago, I think you could get 6 for $120.

And you may get a chance to see something like this:

tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-09, 13:46

Turtleneck wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Pretty sure I saw him driving around Lewiston once. He looked nervous and was having a hard time dealing with the traffic.

Edit: I had some good food at the Frederic Inn a long, long time ago. I think. Not sure if that is the right name or if the place is still around.
If I'm in Lewiston the odds are I'm at Talley's with a beer in hand.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-09, 13:49

InTenSity wrote:
Thanks. Hopefully one of tSwill staff writers will take your data and make charts out of it throughout time.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-09, 13:53

tTito wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

And you may get a chance to see something like this:

WTF Price of steak and bacon 502811600

I'm pretty sure I won't see something like that. I haven't been inside a WM for at least 5 years, probably longer. I missed it, but why did they start fighting?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-09, 13:54

Giant Moose wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
Thanks. Hopefully one of tSwill staff writers will take your data and make charts out of it throughout time.
Oh, I forgot, there was part of the Spartan floor, and it was labelled, 'Kissed by a Byrd'. No idea what that was about though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-09, 13:55

I would like to know the current price of deli salami and turkey. Thanks.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-09, 13:56

InTenSity wrote:Oh, I forgot, there was part of the Spartan floor, and it was labelled, 'Kissed by a Byrd'. No idea what that was about though.
What did that cost? I'd pay at least $50,000 for that.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-09, 13:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I would like to know the current price of deli salami and turkey. Thanks.
Boars Head is usually around $9.99/lb. Turkey is $10.49/lb Salami is $10.69/lb. Publix brand is cheaper.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next