Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hidden gems in Michigan

+22
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
Turtleneck
By-Tor
Jake from State Farm
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
xsanguine
Robert J Sakimano
duffy munn
Watch Out Pylon!
Ass Dan
Blanch32
MattyFresh
Nordic
HT
NigelUno
Giant Moose
Rocinante
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hidden gems in Michigan Empty Hidden gems in Michigan

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-11, 13:11

Was thinking about this because of a thread on another board I read about hole in the wall restaurants. What are some hidden gems in Michigan? Could be a restaurant, a store, a park, a golf course, a beach, etc. What you got Swill?

I have a few I'll nominate. 

Bozek's Polish Market on Van Dyke, just South of 19 mile. I believe this is Sterling Heights. They have any kind of cut of meat you could ever want if it comes from a pig or a cow. If they don't have it out, the butcher will cut it for you right then and there. Not too many markets like this around any more. 

Everyone knows about Buddy's and Shield's and Loui's, but not many people outside of Troy know about The Gathering Place. Wattles and John R. If you like Detroit style pizza, it's a must try. I would put it up against any of the aforementioned. 

In terms of golf courses, one of my favorite courses in MI is a hidden place off of 471 outside of Kalkaska called Grandview, aka Horsefly Hills. Fairly spectacular elevation changes on a handful of holes, well maintained, just a fun place to play. Rates are cheap to very cheap, I think about $35 for 18 with a cart.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hidden gems in Michigan Empty Re: Hidden gems in Michigan

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-11, 13:12

How can I favorite this post, so in August when I'm looking for new places to golf, I remember to go to Grandview? Is that the course east of Kalkaska?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-06-11, 13:15

If you go up to the Leelanau Peninsula, Eat at "the cove" in Leeland. I'm jonesing for some whitefish.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-11, 13:19

InTenSity wrote:How can I favorite this post, so in August when I'm looking for new places to golf, I remember to go to Grandview? Is that the course east of Kalkaska?
There are a few directly East of Kalkatucky. Twin Birch (shitty flat dog track), Timber Wolf (fun course to play, but not very well kept) and Grandview. I'll try to remember to bump it. When are you going to be up there?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-11, 13:26

You never know what should be considered "hidden".  

I think 3 under appreciated historical gems in Michigan are the Henry Ford/Greenfield, Hartwick Pines & Fort Michilimackinac.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-06-11, 13:27

The Upper Peninsula
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-11, 13:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
InTenSity wrote:How can I favorite this post, so in August when I'm looking for new places to golf, I remember to go to Grandview? Is that the course east of Kalkaska?
There are a few directly East of Kalkatucky. Twin Birch (shitty flat dog track), Timber Wolf (fun course to play, but not very well kept) and Grandview. I'll try to remember to bump it. When are you going to be up there?
Trying to plan for the week of Labor Day. Debating on flying up on the 4th into GR, maybe make it to the game, then go up to Torch until around Thursday or Friday, back down to Lansing and maybe go to the Oregon game before flying back to FL.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-11, 13:37

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

We played Timber Wolf. It was fun. We had a lot to drink though. Might have played Grandview also.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-11, 13:40

Rocinante wrote:If you go up to the Leelanau Peninsula, Eat at "the cove" in Leeland.  I'm jonesing for some whitefish.

Is Leeland near Leland?

Anyways...try this place (it's up the road a bit):

http://www.fischershappyhourtavern.com/

If you go a little further, and walk over this dune...

Hidden gems in Michigan DSCN0378-2

...you'll be on one of the best (and least crowded) beaches in the state.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-11, 13:46

Is Shorts still considered a hidden gem? My parents said that Lulu's has gone out of business, which was the place next to Shorts and that Shorts bought that place and is expanding. Soon its going to own the whole first block of Belaire.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-06-11, 14:07

NigelUno wrote:
Rocinante wrote:If you go up to the Leelanau Peninsula, Eat at "the cove" in Leeland.  I'm jonesing for some whitefish.

Is Leeland near Leland?

Dude, I've been going to Fischer's since I was like 10, seriously. Paul watched me grow up. I hear he's getting out of the business, or has already.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-11, 19:35

Keep these coming. I'm driving to TC tomorrow for a Spartan wedding I'm standing in, and I want to see some hidden gems in the free time I'll have this weekend.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2015-06-11, 19:43

HT wrote:Keep these coming. I'm driving to TC tomorrow for a Spartan wedding I'm standing in, and I want to see some hidden gems in the free time I'll have this weekend.

In TC I would definitely hit the Blue Tractor. Awesome BBQ and I highly recommend the Gouda Mac and Cheese.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-11, 19:51

HT wrote:Keep these coming. I'm driving to TC tomorrow for a Spartan wedding I'm standing in, and I want to see some hidden gems in the free time I'll have this weekend.
Not sure what side you're coming from, but you're cutting over from 75 at Grayling, there's a very good, hole in the wall diner right on 72 about halfway between Grayling and Kalkaska called Shirley's.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-11, 20:08

Frenchie's for breakfast, don't miss it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-11, 20:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Not sure what side you're coming from, but you're cutting over from 75 at Grayling, there's a very good, hole in the wall diner right on 72 about halfway between Grayling and Kalkaska called Shirley's.

What about Dingman's? Come on.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-11, 20:15

Dingman's is awful.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-11, 20:24

Rocinante wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Is Leeland near Leland?

Dude, I've been going to Fischer's since I was like 10, seriously. Paul watched me grow up. I hear he's getting out of the business, or has already.

You been to the beach? Part of the Leelanau State Park. Park by Mud Lake and walk through the trees, and then you pop out on the beach. It's pretty secluded. Separated from the houses on Cathead Bay. On a windy day, the waves can get big. Great spot. Not a short walk from the car though. It's kind of like...geezuz! Where is the beach? But, when you get there, it's the coolest thing ever.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-11, 20:25

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Dingman's is awful.

Not to stop for a beer. Or two.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2015-06-11, 21:10

Giant Moose wrote:The Upper Peninsula

Driving down us2... If you like pasties, hit the little shack in St Ignace called Lehtos right off the highway
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-06-11, 21:28

Me pretty much every time I visit the murder mitten unannounced
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-11, 21:52

Blanch32 wrote:Me pretty much every time I visit the murder mitten unannounced

Gem. Not germ.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-11, 22:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
If you take this route watch for the sign to Shetler's Farm dairy.   Take a quick detour and buy yourself some creamline milk.   Chill the hell out of it, shake it up and taste  REAL milk for the 1st time in your life.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-06-11, 22:24

One last word of wisdom from me tonight.   While you're in the area go here Leelanau Cheese and buy some raclette.   This is easily a Top 10 cheese made in the US, possibly Top 5.  A true hidden gem.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-11, 22:32

Chicken Sajji. Shish Palace in Rochester or Shish House in Canton.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-06-11, 22:52

LooseGoose wrote:One last word of wisdom from me tonight.   While you're in the area go here Leelanau Cheese and buy some raclette.   This is easily a Top 10 cheese made in the US, possibly Top 5.  A true hidden gem.

I concur. I think they used to sell it at Black Star Farms place? Great cheese.

Pleva's Meats in Cedar is good also.

http://www.plevasmeats.com/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-11, 23:00

Nordic wrote:

In TC I would definitely hit the Blue Tractor.  Awesome BBQ and I highly recommend the Gouda Mac and Cheese.

I think the rehearsal dinner is actually at the Blue Tractor. I know we're for sure eating there at some point this weekend per the request of the groom. I'll keep an eye out for the Gouda Mac and Cheese.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-11, 23:09

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Coming from near Buffalo, NY and cutting through Canada so I'll be taking the I-75 route. I'll keep an eye out for Shirley's, I'm going to need lunch since I should be in that area around noon. Thank you for the suggestion.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-06-11, 23:20

Nordic wrote:

In TC I would definitely hit the Blue Tractor. Awesome BBQ and I highly recommend the Gouda Mac and Cheese.

Agree, except the blue tractor is also in AA. The beer sucks there
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-11, 23:22

HT wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Coming from near Buffalo, NY and cutting through Canada so I'll be taking the I-75 route. I'll keep an eye out for Shirley's, I'm going to need lunch since I should be in that area around noon. Thank you for the suggestion.
Can't find an official site but admittedly I didn't look very hard. This seems to be their Facespace page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shirleys-In-The-Woods-Cafe/156980421008802
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-06-12, 13:56

The Hidden Gem
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2015-06-12, 15:25

Along these lines I'm planning on taking the fam on a whirl wind tour of the west coast of the state in August. Probably going to start in Pentwater for their Homecoming deal and then point it north toward the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Anyone have any suggestions on places to stay (hotel or campgrounds), beaches or other cool shit we should hit? Fischer's sounds intriguing.

Also thinking about doing a raft trip on the Pine River or Manistee. I've never been on either, any preferences?

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-14, 23:31

Does Dutch Girl count?

Bloomer Park in Rochester - lots of trails, good MTB trails, a velodrome (I would never go in there, but fun to watch), brown people playing cricket....cool park.

Detroit Science Center is cool. Not sure if Sue is still there?

Jalapeno's is the best Mexican restaurant I've been to in the SE MI area, Mexicantown included. It's on Baldwin Rd in Pontiac, a couple miles south of Great Lakes Crossing. Ask for the machacada salsa with your chips
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-15, 08:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Does Dutch Girl count?

Bloomer Park in Rochester - lots of trails, good MTB trails, a velodrome (I would never go in there, but fun to watch), brown people playing cricket....cool park.

Jalapeno's is the best Mexican restaurant I've been to in the SE MI area, Mexicantown included. It's on Baldwin Rd in Pontiac, a couple miles south of Great Lakes Crossing. Ask for the machacada salsa with your chips

Mexican food in mi? Lol!!!!!

Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-04-15, 09:15

Blanch32 wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Does Dutch Girl count?

Mexican food in mi? Lol!!!!!

Have you ever been to Detroit ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-15, 11:10

I highly recommend Up North.

Be sure to take plenty of family photos and put them on the various social media platforms. I get lots of "likes" for mine and it provides me with that rush of dopamine I am so addicted to.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-15, 11:13

gHost Spartan wrote:The Burger King on 5 mile road and the highway on East Bay is the best Burger King in the USA. I highly recommend it.

Funny thing, I've been in that restaurant once and was so completely disgusted I don't think I'll ever go back.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-15, 11:14

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:The Burger King on 5 mile road and the highway on East Bay is the best Burger King in the USA. I highly recommend it.

Funny thing, I've been in that restaurant once and was so completely disgusted I don't think I'll ever go back.
wait.. you were disgusted with a fast foot restaurant?

why do you hate America so much?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-15, 11:15

I'm going Up North tomorrow, Bob. Is Baldwin considered Up North?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-15, 11:17

xsanguine wrote:I'm going Up North tomorrow, Bob. Is Baldwin considered Up North?

The fuck you doing in Baldwin? I'm in Manistee at moms.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next