Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You guys watch the Republican debate last night?

+14
CORNER BLITZ
Floyd Robertson
Dr. Strangelove
Triple Sparty
DWags
Brock Middlebrook
InTenSity
Tim Wakefield
Giant Moose
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
Ass Dan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
18 posters

Go down

Bolt You guys watch the Republican debate last night?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:19 am

Was going to give it a watch soon here. How did it go? Trump make an ass of himself hopefully? Fuck that guy.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bolt Re: You guys watch the Republican debate last night?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:20 am

Nope nopenope
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:23 am

Nah, too early to tune in to any of the clown shows.   Wait until January for either side once things are narrowed down.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:24 am

Heard Kaschill(sp?) gave great answers but no one gave a shit. Also that Ben Carson got passed over a lot. Probably won't watch, whoever wins probably isn't beating hilldawg
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 am

Rubio will probably emerge from the pack. But as Loose said, way too early to tell.

Trump is spending his morning whining that he was treated unfairly.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:35 am

I don't have the energy or patience to care about a presidential election for longer than a sports season even lasts. Get back to me around January or February and I might start paying attention. But only to the intensity they I pay attention to Spring Training baseball
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:40 am

I don't need to beat around the bush, but I have a lot of other things to do that trump watching the GOP debate.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:40 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't have the energy or patience to care about a presidential election for longer than a sports season even lasts. Get back to me around January or February and I might start paying attention. But only to the intensity they I pay attention to Spring Training baseball

The Canadian election might suit you. 80 days.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/6/9109669/2015-canada-federal-election
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't have the energy or patience to care about a presidential election for longer than a sports season even lasts. Get back to me around January or February and I might start paying attention. But only to the intensity they I pay attention to Spring Training baseball

The Canadian election might suit you. 80 days.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/6/9109669/2015-canada-federal-election
I mean the whole thing is just a huge spectator sport anyway, right? Doesn't really matter if I pick a different countrys spectacle to follow
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:47 am

I watched it. Trump was a clown (what's new)

Really hoping whoever gets the nom beats Hillary. Can't believe people like that hag.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:54 am

I watched it. Cruz terrifies me. I've decided that most republicans are actually communist. They know that mega corporations are run tighter than commy China, but they want to dictate my morals to me, worse than Shiria law.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:59 am

Ass Dan wrote:Heard Kaschill(sp?) gave great answers but no one gave a shit.

Was kind of the other way around. He sounded and looked like an idiot (to me), but everyone cheered every time he spoke b/c he's the Gov of Ohio.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:01 pm

I think everyone running sucks. But this might be entertaining at least.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Did not watch the opening act, but heard Fiorina was the clear "winner." I wonder if she gets a boost and podium at the next debate.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Brock Middlebrook wrote:
Ass Dan wrote:Heard Kaschill(sp?) gave great answers but no one gave a shit.

Was kind of the other way around. He sounded and looked like an idiot (to me), but everyone cheered every time he spoke b/c he's the Gov of Ohio.

Agree with this. Don't know why people said he had a good night..he seemed like a nervous toolbag to me
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:05 pm

Definitely entertaining. Perfect timing with the Tigers afternoon game, too.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Didn't watch - wake me when they get to Iowa. But for you degenerates....

Odds to Win 2016 Republican Party nomination
Bush +200
Walker +400
Trump +500
Rubio +550
Carson +1000
Cruz +1000
Christie +1200
Paul +2000
Fiorina +3000
Perry +4000
Santorum +5000
Jindal +10000
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:51 pm

"My dad was a Mailman so I get it"

You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 502811600 these fuckin' guys man
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:56 pm

I got re- elected because the Americans wanted someone who aimed high, not aim low

You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 1966794946 You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:"My dad was a Mailman so I get it"

You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 502811600 these fuckin' guys man

I love how they all feel the need to remind us about their working class backgrounds. Not just Republicans but all of these candidates.

"Hey, I'm just like you because my grandpa worked in a factory. Yeah, I have a 5000 square foot cottage on an exclusive lake and pal around with the Koch brothers and people from Goldman Sachs, but my dad fixed a radiator once."
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

I love how they all feel the need to remind us about their working class backgrounds. Not just Republicans but all of these candidates.

"Hey, I'm just like you because my grandpa worked in a factory. Yeah, I have a 5000 square foot cottage on an exclusive lake and pal around with the Koch brothers and people from Goldman Sachs, but my dad fixed a radiator once."

Agreed, I hate that shit. Stop with the fucking charade, just tell us what your plan is. I thought Ben Carson did a pretty good job last night, even though they barely asked him any questions.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:40 pm

"My dad was a bartender"

"My mom was a secretary"

"My dad served in the army"
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Gonna watch later, after I watch the Happy Hour debate. Sounds like Fiorina took that one, which bottles my mind. I caught some of Graham's sound bites and would love to see that guy rise enough to debate with the big boys. Great sense of humor and would drive the doves batshit crazy.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:11 pm

So both debates wrecked the Daily show.....

Charlie Spiering
@charliespiering
Jon Stewart Finale: 3.5 million
Fox GOP debate: 24 million

jimgeraghty@jimgeraghty 22m22 minutes ago
Wow. 5 pm undercard debate had 6.1 million total viewers, making it the third-highest primary debate ever on cable. http://bit.ly/1OVCNXq
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:32 pm

LooseGoose wrote:So both debates wrecked the Daily show.....

Charlie Spiering
@charliespiering
Jon Stewart Finale: 3.5 million
Fox GOP debate: 24 million

jimgeraghty@jimgeraghty 22m22 minutes ago
Wow. 5 pm undercard debate had 6.1 million total viewers, making it the third-highest primary debate ever on cable. http://bit.ly/1OVCNXq
You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 2599972566
Aug 7 The finale of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" drew 3.5 million viewers, Comedy Central said on Friday, making it the second most-watched episode for the series.

The finale, which saw Stewart wrap up his long-running popular late night satirical talk show after 16 years on Thursday, also garnered more than 233,000 tweets, according to Nielsen data from Twitter. (Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy; Editing by Diane Craft)
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:"My dad was a bartender"

"My mom was a secretary"

"My dad served in the army"

The duck may swim on the lake, but my daddy owns the lake

I'd be mildly impressed if anyone knew what movie that's from. You guys are all old as shit
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Looked up Trump quotes today because that guys a fucking gold-mine

moderator Megyn Kelly asked the candidate-businessman, "You've called women fat pigs, dogs, slobs, disgusting animals. Your Twitter account has several --"
Trump, who is currently leading in Republican polls, raised his finger with a smirk to interrupt Kelly: "Only Rosie O'Donnell."

You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 502811600 You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 1966794946

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/08/06/donald-trump-rosie-odonnell-debate/31261899/
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:45 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Looked up Trump quotes today because that guys a fucking gold-mine

moderator Megyn Kelly asked the candidate-businessman, "You've called women fat pigs, dogs, slobs, disgusting animals. Your Twitter account has several --"
Trump, who is currently leading in Republican polls, raised his finger with a smirk to interrupt Kelly: "Only Rosie O'Donnell."

You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 502811600 You guys watch the Republican debate last night? 1966794946

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/08/06/donald-trump-rosie-odonnell-debate/31261899/
Ya, he also called the one soldier a traitor, by name. I thought that was a bit over the line, especially if you are going to be commander in chief. Was the guy brought to court martial and I missed it?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:16 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Looked up Trump quotes today because that guys a fucking gold-mine

Good for the donald. Can't stand rosy. She's a loud mouth entitled prick. Bitches about getting free super bowl tickets for her family once and basically described every football game ever for the have not fans
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Blanch32 wrote:

Good for the donald. Can't stand rosy. She's a loud mouth entitled prick. Bitches about getting free super bowl tickets for her family once and basically described every football game ever for the have not fans

At least she is more than functionally literate.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

God I hate that fucking shit.  Most of the time it's not true and more importantly I don't give a fuck.  Hate that politicians go out of there way to pretend that they're just like me and you.  It's not part of the criteria for the position and no you're not.  My friends are like me, I wouldn't vote for them to run shit.  It's especially annoying when guys like Romney tried to pull it off.  Hey buddy, your dad was the fucking Governor, knock that shit off.  It's fucking patronizing.  I remember one debate where they asked the first guys plan for the next day and he mentioned how he has big plans for the National Championship game, because you know, he's a down home guy that loves his sports just like all the regular folks out there.  In the ensuing everyday Joe contest every candidate mentioned there big plans for the Natty the next night.  Only problem, the game wasn't even being played the next night.

Last edited by StylesGShmooth on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:59 pm

The GOP Debate Was Awesome. We Need More Like It

The first top-tier Republican presidential debate of the 2016 cycle was one of the most substantive and entertaining I’ve seen in 20 years.

In the morning I’ll probably regret writing this, but right now I feel confident saying that the first top-tier Republican presidential debate of the 2016 cycle was one of the most substantive, and certainly the most entertaining, I’ve seen in 20 years.

Now, considering how vacuous these political debates can be, this isn’t exactly saying much. But there are a number of reasons why it worked and why people should emulate it.

For one, it featured journalists willing to ask genuinely challenging questions. The performance by the moderators, a fiesty Megyn Kelly, Bret Baier, and Chris Wallace, should put to the rest the notion that Fox News is any less interested in serious political journalism than competing cable news networks. Fact is, it’s difficult to imagine a panel of MSNBC or CNN anchors peppering a slate of Democratic Party candidates featuring Hillary Clinton with comparably vigorous queries.

But even tough questions can be brushed off by a competent politician. What made this debate atypical was that—unlike the GOP JV iteration earlier in the day—moderators deliberately poked at the vulnerabilities of each candidate, bringing up their most inconvenient opinions and statements, and challenging specific contentions rather than teeing up softballs. They acted as if they were the opposition. They reminded us that Chris Christie oversaw numerous credit downgrades in New Jersey, that Scott Walker was not the job creator he claimed to be, that Ted Cruz has a serious people problem, that Ben Carson knows nothing about foreign policy, and that Rand Paul blames Republicans for the creation of ISIS. And, hey, Donald Trump, what’s with the misogyny and bankruptcies?

On and on it went.

The tailored nature of the probing was probably necessitated by the big number of participants. But it helped that Fox bypassed the counterproductive notion of “fairness” that normally dictates all candidates must answer the same exact questions within the same allotted time— as if they were participating in an Oxford debate rather than a larger-than-usual panel discussion on cable television. With this, the Fox moderators helped dial down the platitude quotient somewhat (though, naturally, it was still high) and candidates struggled to slip into their tedious resume recitations.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Who cares about a made for TV pre-season show put on buy FoxNews in the weakest TV month of the year?

This was to Fox News what the Caitlyn Jenner Espy's were to ABC.

Sometime after March the power brokers/folks controlling major money will decide who they want on the top of the ticket for both parties.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:03 pm

I watched most of it.

Dr. Ben Carson should have been given much more time on the microphone, but he killed it when he had the chance.

He scares the shit out of everyone: a non politician (neurosurgeon) black conservative. I eagerly await the "tolerant left" to start calling him an Uncle Tom.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down