Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft?

+27
Watch Out Pylon!
msuspartan4eva
duffy munn
SeeRockCity
xsanguine
CheesySpartan
Death Roe
MattyFresh
Herbie Green
The_Dude
InTenSity
kingstonlake
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Blanch32
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Clarett's Folly
Vlad
GRR Spartan
aualum06
tanfan!
DWags
I.B. Fine
Travis of the Cosmos
31 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 am

If I'm reading between the lines, his mom's situation is likely what will push him out the door.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft?

Post by DWags Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I wonder, too, if the actuarial science guys can factor in the more subjective, intangible impact like seeing Eron Harris go down can have on such a decision?

'cause I gotta believe that matters.

They could also add in the fact he was injured for this season, got injured yesterday and his mom isn't doing so well.

I still also think 1.5 million in your hands a year early, even if you're making more money by year two (or three years down the road if he's staying) You make up in interest and conservative investments.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I wonder, too, if the actuarial science guys can factor in the more subjective, intangible impact like seeing Eron Harris go down can have on such a decision?

They could also add in the fact he was injured for this season, got injured yesterday and his mom isn't doing so well.  

I still also think 1.5 million in your hands a year early, even if you're making more money by year two (or three years down the road if he's staying) You make up in interest and conservative investments.
yep - and he seems like a good kid who (hopefully) will surround himself with the right folks as it relates to positive influences, investments, etc.

what's up with his mom? Haven't heard about that.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:If I'm reading between the lines, his mom's situation is likely what will push him out the door.

What's mom's situation? She broke?
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am

I think we'll have a better team next year (with or without him).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:If I'm reading between the lines, his mom's situation is likely what will push him out the door.

Can't say for sure, but going off of clues I've picked up on elsewhere, sounds like he might want to improve her standard of living.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am

DWags wrote:

You're right dwags. Though it's pretty close. If I did math good. Which maybe. I'm assuming that his contract after the rookie contract would be the same either way, just one less year of it. Cant really adjust for that. Edit- 6% interest rate.

With the rookie contract this year then 7 years after of making 5 million a year he would have 49827224

With the rookie contract next year then 6 years after of making 5 million a year he would have 48685515

So that puts him at 1.2 million richer 10 years from today if he leaves now, all other things equal.

If we extend it to 15 years instead of 10 it's 94865530 vs 93337666 in favor of getting money now.

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Can't say for sure, but going off of clues I've picked up on elsewhere, sounds like he might want to improve her standard of living.
don't we all.. Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Why is it that Michigan Football can hire the parent of every single one of their players into an administrative position but we can't find a $50K/yr job for Mrs. Bridges?
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Why is it that Michigan Football can hire the parent of every single one of their players into an administrative position but we can't find a $50K/yr job for Mrs. Bridges?

Maybe Mrs Bridges just wanted her kid to go somewhere that had a coach that wasn't afraid to be tough on her son and that was good enough. If he wants to do sleepovers, make videos, and climb trees, he's got plenty of adolescent friends to do that with. Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft? - Page 2 2599972566
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am

I get so confused when you actually talk about sports. I mean that in a good way.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

because we run a very clean and ethical athletic program and they do not.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 am

InTenSity wrote:

I get so confused when you actually talk about sports. I mean that in a good way.
Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft? - Page 2 502811600

I'm good when it comes to the theoretical stuff.. actual discussion about larger issues. If you want to breakdown the box and 1 or the full court press.. or the wing T, I'm not your man.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

You're right dwags. Though it's pretty close. If I did math good. Which maybe. I'm assuming that his contract after the rookie contract would be the same either way, just one less year of it. Cant really adjust for that. Edit- 6% interest rate.

With the rookie contract this year then 7 years after of making 5 million a year he would have 49827224

With the rookie contract next year then 6 years after of making 5 million a year he would have 48685515

So that puts him at 1.2 million richer 10 years from today if he leaves now, all other things equal.

If we extend it to 15 years instead of 10 it's 94865530 vs 93337666 in favor of getting money now.

Teams have options for Year 4 (and I think even Year 5). The % increases for those years (I think) would swing the advantage to waiting and being a #6 vs. coming out a year earlier as a #16.

My guess is there are accountants available to players who can figure all that crap out. Davis falling a bit last year might make him question coming out this year.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am

Hey dwags, Nigel's right now because of the information he didn't provide earlier. If his 4th year contract is picked up it would be 47415547 vs 46466699 in favor of waiting a year.

Please provide all relavent information in the future nigel.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

I know this is a jab at the hypocrisy involved with being a sports fan, but objectively, there is some legitimate truth to this and as someone with local connections, you likely know it, as well. Izzo does not play that game. He understands what is going on, knows he could get away with it under the rules, but it's not his cup of tea.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I know this is a jab at the hypocrisy involved with being a sports fan, but objectively, there is some legitimate truth to this and as someone with local connections, you likely know it, as well. Izzo does not play that game. He understands what is going on, knows he could get away with it under the rules, but it's not his cup of tea.
I know - but in the era of big money modern athletics, I don't really think any fans of any particular university has a shred of moral authority over another random university.

it's what some people do to make themselves feel better about their particular station in life - which is cool... we all need whatever mechanisms we choose. I just think it's silly and quite disingenuous.

that's all, dude - Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft? - Page 2 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 am

I know - but in the era of big money modern athletics, I don't really think any fans of any particular university has a shred of moral authority over another random university.

it's what some people do to make themselves feel better about their particular station in life - which is cool... we all need whatever mechanisms we choose. I just think it's silly and quite disingenuous.

that's all, dude -
Folks, I think we just found the MSU bagman.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I get that, but didn't see anyone here make that leap in this thread. CF knows the answer to his question. The bigger question is whether you want to see Izzo jump off of that ledge or not. Some think it's silly for him not to in this day and age.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am

InTenSity wrote:

that's all, dude -
I don't even know what this means but, for whatever reason, I chuckled. Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft? - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am

InTenSity wrote:

that's all, dude -

Wonder if he's been leaving $20 bills in library books for Miles and Nick Ward.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 am

All I know is my life depends on Bridges doing the right thing
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I get that, but didn't see anyone here make that leap in this thread. CF knows the answer to his question. The bigger question is whether you want to see Izzo jump off of that ledge or not. Some think it's silly for him not to in this day and age.
meh, I don't know - we can continue to operate with whatever degree of purity people may think we have.. and if that's important to people, that's cool - or we can go down other roads that, while legal under NCAA rules, might clash with old school ethics and others will be excited about that.

it truly doesn't matter to me.. but promoting our perceived purity is the new whining about officiating. To me, it's the kind of thing that the losing fan base does.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I think you misunderstand. I was not lamenting the fact that we are one of the only ones playing by the rules and, therefore, enjoy some sort of moral superiority over our rivals but, rather, that we seem to be one of the only schools insisting on adhering to a conduct of behavior so outdated that the NCAA doesn't even bother to attempt to police it anymore.
In my opinion Miles Bridges should and will declare for the NBA Draft.
However, if he enjoys playing at MSU so much that he would be willing to delay that decision for another year his mother's financial situation should not force his hand and MSU should be able to step up and help as many other universities before them have already done.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I think you misunderstand. I was not lamenting the fact that we are one of the only ones playing by the rules and, therefore, enjoy some sort of moral superiority over our rivals but, rather, that we seem to be one of the only schools insisting on adhering to a conduct of behavior so outdated that the NCAA doesn't even bother to attempt to police it anymore.
However, if he enjoys playing at MSU so much that he would be willing to delay that decision for another year his mother's financial situation should not force his hand and MSU should be able to step up and help as many other universities before them have already done.
I hear ya, dude. The NCAA and the universities makes a ton of money off of these kids and, yes, they get an opportunity at an education in return - but the system is woefully outdated and, often, disenfranchises the student-athletes that need the most support. I think most of us can agree on that.

I say he does what's best for him and his family. That's all.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

I hear ya, dude. The NCAA and the universities makes a ton of money off of these kids and, yes, they get an opportunity at an education in return - but the system is woefully outdated and, often, disenfranchises the student-athletes that need the most support. I think most of us can agree on that.

Yes. Michigan employs a woman who is the mother of a football player whose job title is literally "Team Mom." That woman, per MLive.com, makes $160K/yr.
Kansas recently had a basketball player (I think it was Sherron Collins) who was thinking of declaring for the draft to help improve his family's situation. Bill Self hired his dad to the coaching staff to the tune of $150K/yr. and the player returned to Kansas for another year.
If Miles' mom's situation is the deciding factor what is preventing us from doing something similar? The answer is us. We are preventing ourselves from doing something similar.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

What is outdated by the system we use for student athletes?

Like they should be getting a stipend? My issue is that, no doubt UNC and Kentucky can afford a stipend. But what about Central Michigan? What about women athletes? Do only minority athletes from inner cities get stipends? Who pays for it, tax payers? Athletic revenue that's used to pay for womens sports?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I hear ya, dude. The NCAA and the universities makes a ton of money off of these kids and, yes, they get an opportunity at an education in return - but the system is woefully outdated and, often, disenfranchises the student-athletes that need the most support. I think most of us can agree on that.

Yes. Michigan employs a woman who is the mother of a football player whose job title is literally "Team Mom." That woman, per MLive.com, makes $160K/yr.
Kansas recently had a basketball player (I think it was Sherron Collins) who was thinking of declaring for the draft to help improve his family's situation. Bill Self hired his dad to the coaching staff to the tune of $150K/yr. and the player returned to Kansas for another year.
If Miles' mom's situation is the deciding factor what is preventing us from doing something similar? The answer is us. We are preventing ourselves from doing something similar.

This is why once again being a huge program with cash to burn only makes the playing field more un even.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I hear ya, dude. The NCAA and the universities makes a ton of money off of these kids and, yes, they get an opportunity at an education in return - but the system is woefully outdated and, often, disenfranchises the student-athletes that need the most support. I think most of us can agree on that.

it's a good gig if you can get it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 am

The_Dude wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

This is why once again being a huge program with cash to burn only makes the playing field more un even.

I agree with your sentiment. I just have no interest in being the program to fall on that sword in the name of fairness.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:57 am

And that's why you buy the $10Million. It'll be up to the kid and I think he's going to go, but the insurance does cover his butt a bit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am

He'd be kind of be stupid to come back. He's been real strong after his injury and will push to be a top 10 pick. He's 3 months away from earning life altering money.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am

LooseGoose wrote:

And that's why you buy the $10Million. It'll be up to the kid and I think he's going to go, but the insurance does cover his butt a bit.
or his mom could apply for the "Team Mom" position when it's posted on the HR site.

Wink

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

or his mom could apply for the "Team Mom" position when it's posted on the HR site.

Wink

I can't bear the thought that our fine players continue to go unmothered all this time.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:11 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

I agree with your sentiment. I just have no interest in being the program to fall on that sword in the name of fairness.

Yeah, how many fucking video editors does Saban employ?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:or his mom could apply for the "Team Mom" position when it's posted on the HR site.

Wink

I can't bear the thought that our fine players continue to go unmothered all this time.
Bridges in the 2017 NBA Draft? - Page 2 502811600

but, without a Team Mom, where will our players go to get an orange slice after a particularly challenging practice?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Wait...we don't already have a team mom?? Well that explains a lot of things!
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

meh, I don't know - we can continue to operate with whatever degree of purity people may think we have.. and if that's important to people, that's cool - or we can go down other roads that, while legal under NCAA rules, might clash with old school ethics and others will be excited about that.

it truly doesn't matter to me.. but promoting our perceived purity is the new whining about officiating. To me, it's the kind of thing that the losing fan base does.

sorta like you and Trump?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Miles Bridges' NBA draft-or-MSU decision may be harder than you think
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:48 am

LooseGoose wrote:Miles Bridges' NBA draft-or-MSU decision may be harder than you think
I really hope he does what's in my best interests.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next