Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed

+20
AvgMSUJoe
I.B. Fine
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Dendrobates
Floyd Robertson
Senior Dickfist
MSU addict
InTenSity
Cameron
DWags
Rocinante
kingstonlake
Death Roe
TheReal_LWS
Travis of the Cosmos
MattyFresh
Nordic
Jake from State Farm
tGreenWay
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed - Page 2 Empty Re: Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed

Post by MSU addict 2017-10-26, 13:57

Floyd Robertson wrote:Equifax Was Warned

Last year, a security researcher alerted Equifax that anyone could have stolen the personal data of all Americans. The company failed to heed the warning.

I'm sure they analyzed the risk/reward of investing in more security or immediately tightening their controls and figured it was more profitable to stay the course and run the risk.
Forget risk/cost analysis, they just didn't give a shit:

Former Equifax “Chief Security Officer” Susan Mauldin has a bachelor’s degree and a master of fine arts degree in music composition from the University of Georgia. Her LinkedIn professional profile lists no education related to technology or security.

I have to assume she was hot.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed - Page 2 Empty Re: Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-26, 14:07

I don't know Mauldin's complete bio, although I'm aware of that angle. I'd only counter that not having a degree in a related field doesn't make someone unqualified, especially in the C-Suite. Spend enough time in a field and you can more than make up for not having a college education in the field. CISOs at that level aren't necessarily hired for their technical expertise anyway. They're hired for their leadership skills and abilities to evaluate/present risks to the CEO, CIO and the BOD.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-10-26, 14:23

STILL haven't gotten an email for the free fraud protection. Fuckers.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-26, 14:29

Death Roe wrote:STILL haven't gotten an email for the free fraud protection. Fuckers.

I wouldn't sweat that as much as making sure you invest $20 on freezing all of your accounts. Kind of pain if you want to unfreeze/refreeze but it's the safest thing to do.

How to freeze your credit with all three agencies
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-10-26, 17:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Death Roe wrote:STILL haven't gotten an email for the free fraud protection. Fuckers.

I wouldn't sweat that as much as making sure you invest $20 on freezing all of your accounts. Kind of pain if you want to unfreeze/refreeze but it's the safest thing to do.

How to freeze your credit with all three agencies

Good info Floyd. Thanks.

I signed up for the free credit monitoring through MSU when they fucked up. Individual was free through Nov. 2018 I believe. No idea if it is worth a damn.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-10-26, 18:37

It's all a scam to get people to sign up for their $9.95/month credit monitoring.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-08, 08:52

Pretty good synopsis of the whole mess.

Schneier's 11/1/17 Congressional Testimony
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-21, 17:25

Now UBER

Uber Concealed Cyberattack That Exposed 57 Million People’s Data
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2017-11-21, 17:33

While not as bad as some of the other large breaches, the fact that they tried to cover it up is bad, although, I'm not surprised...unfortunately.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-21, 17:49

Is there a company with more broken leadership than Uber?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-11-21, 17:55

is Uber that thing where you get drunk and climb into a total strangers car?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-01, 14:50

This is about 1.5 hours long but it's kind of fascinating if you don't watch Congressional hearings and testimony on a frequent basis. The guys they're hearing testimony from are well known experts in the field. They're trying like hell to point our leaders in the right direction, who knows if they'll listen.

I get that politicians can't be experts on everything but at one point there's a congressmen yucking it up over one of testifier's wives here credit card daily. Why? because she's a woman, of course. What a schmuck.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-02-05, 07:14

Exclusive: U.S. consumer protection official puts Equifax probe on ice - sources

Whatever. Screw the little guy. Some more.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mick Mulvaney, head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, has pulled back from a full-scale probe of how Equifax Inc failed to protect the personal data of millions of consumers, according to people familiar with the matter.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-14, 12:43

Fuck this guy. He's going to get his yang.

Former Equifax executive charged with insider trading

Insider trading charges were announced Wednesday against a former Equifax executive who sold his shares for nearly $1 million before the company's massive data breach was revealed to the public and the stock price plunged.

A federal grand jury on Tuesday indicted Jun Ying, 42, the former chief information officer of Equifax's U.S. Information Solutions, part of the Atlanta-based credit reporting company. The Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday also charged Ying with insider trading.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-22, 10:17

Criminal.

Survey: Americans Spent $1.4B on Credit Freeze Fees in Wake of Equifax Breach
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-08, 11:34

Equifax reveals full horror of that monstrous cyber-heist of its servers

146 million people, 99 million addresses, 209,000 payment cards, 38,000 drivers' licenses and 3,200 passports

No
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-05-08, 11:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:Equifax reveals full horror of that monstrous cyber-heist of its servers

146 million people, 99 million addresses, 209,000 payment cards, 38,000 drivers' licenses and 3,200 passports

No

Has anyone seen anything suspicious on their credit reports? Thankfully I haven’t.

Will our SSN be pointless in the future because of all these beeches? Will a new system be put in place and they start over?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-08, 11:47

Dendrobates wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Equifax reveals full horror of that monstrous cyber-heist of its servers

No

Has anyone seen anything suspicious on their credit reports? Thankfully I haven’t.

Will our SSN be pointless in the future because of all these beeches? Will a new system be put in place and they start over?

I haven't seen anything suspicious, but I froze all my accounts (such a misnomer, because none of us opened accounts) at all the bureaus.

I doubt that SSN is replaced. The cost would enormous and it would only be a stop-gap until the inevitable next breach.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-02, 15:00

Second former Equifax staffer charged with insider trading

Burn.In.Hell.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-02, 19:51

I’ve maintained for a long time that nobody should graduate from college without having taken a career-specific ethics class, or at least some sort of seminar or conference. It won’t deter everyone, but it might help some of these boneheads who think it’s oksy to try getting away with conduct like the one above.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-02, 20:07

That's a neat idea tGreenWay, but I'll go a step further and suggest starting in HS.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-02, 20:20

Notre Dame still requires that and a swimming class I believe.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-02, 23:57

Had no idea ND did that. There’s finally something about that school I admire.
And yes, Floyd, the earlier, the better.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-12-19, 08:09

[tw]1075376715835174912[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-12-19, 08:21

Equifax renews the expired security certificate for the device monitoring ACIS network
traffic. The certificate was expired for 19 months.

Jesus. No
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-12-19, 08:29

I had my old neighbor call me freaking out. She signed up for the monitoring. Keep in mind she's in her mid 70's and having more than one email account stressed her out. She wants tablets to read the news, get her email and play games. Anyway,, her monitoring was up for renewal, so I guess the signup for it has changed. It is very confusing to her, although for most of us here, it is probably second nature at this point. I think now they are warning against the dangers of the dark web. I gave up trying to explain that one to her.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-19, 08:44

InTenSity wrote:I had my old neighbor call me freaking out. She signed up for the monitoring. Keep in mind she's in her mid 70's and having more than one email account stressed her out. She wants tablets to read the news, get her email and play games. Anyway,, her monitoring was up for renewal, so I guess the signup for it has changed. It is very confusing to her, although for most of us here, it is probably second nature at this point. I think now they are warning against the dangers of the dark web. I gave up trying to explain that one to her.

How was the gummer?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-12-19, 10:27

LooseGoose wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I had my old neighbor call me freaking out. She signed up for the monitoring. Keep in mind she's in her mid 70's and having more than one email account stressed her out. She wants tablets to read the news, get her email and play games. Anyway,, her monitoring was up for renewal, so I guess the signup for it has changed. It is very confusing to her, although for most of us here, it is probably second nature at this point. I think now they are warning against the dangers of the dark web. I gave up trying to explain that one to her.

How was the gummer?

Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed - Page 2 502811600 you disgust me.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-12-19, 23:23

LooseGoose wrote:

How was the gummer?

Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed - Page 2 502811600 Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed - Page 2 1401550746
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-12-19, 23:29

Confuse, frustrate, bill.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-12-19, 23:48

Was this English?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-19, 23:56

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Was this English?
Give him a break, he was still recovering.

Security breach at Equifax means you're screwed - Page 2 Toothless+woman
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-12-20, 08:18

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Was this English?
Which part didn't you understand?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-02-15, 11:14

The great Equifax mystery: 17 months later, the stolen data has never been found, and experts are starting to suspect a spy scheme

Somebody's playing hide the salami.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2019-02-15, 11:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:The great Equifax mystery: 17 months later, the stolen data has never been found, and experts are starting to suspect a spy scheme

Somebody's playing hide the salami.

The Deathstar plans are not in the main computer.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-02-28, 09:40

This is incredibly awesome. Nothing like having to eat your own ass in a congressional hearing.

[tw]1100459600824815617[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-28, 17:41

And now they want you to pay them for identity protection. They completely turned this, marketing wise, into a money making Enterprise. "hey we lost all your info, so pay us to protect you in the future". There is no penalty to high for Equifax in my opinion. Nail them to the wall.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-02-28, 19:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:This is incredibly awesome. Nothing like having to eat your own ass in a congressional hearing.

[tw]1100459600824815617[/tw]

Lol. He didn't even see it coming. This was better than the  GM execs getting roasted for flying in on a private jet to beg for money.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-02-28, 19:08

This is basically a real life truther scenario. Equifax bombed themselves and are trying to scare people into paying them so they don't get bombed again.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-07-02, 07:33

[tw]1146018308979867648[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next