Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Beilein to the Cavs

+24
pulling69
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
Robert J Sakimano
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
SawGreen
Turtleneck
Heat Miser
aualum06
Cameron
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
InTenSity
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
28 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 6 Empty Re: John Beilein to the Cavs

Post by NigelUno Thu 23 May 2019 - 8:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I could be wrong, but I just don't see this working out well for UM.

Unless they somehow pull in some late 2019 recruits or grad transfers, they're going to struggle next year. After that, it doesn't take much to succeed if you can recruit.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:16

steveschneider wrote:About my final thoughts on this pretty happy they hired Howard. I hate the Fab 5 all of them and excited to see The league kick Howards ass. Payback for all of their horse shit from the early 90s

Definitely adds some spice to the rivalry. There will be no blowing Howard.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:24

Look, guys like K and Calipari are constantly loaded. They have the best players and they have some pretty great assistants. Yes, they win championships and yes they're always a top ten type team. But they don't dominate college basketball and teams beat them. I don't know what kind of X's and O's coach he will be, but I'm betting he's no better and most likely not going to be as good as K and Calipari. I think he will get some kids inthe next couple of years becasue of star power, but I don't think he's any kind of big ten threat.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:29

Wally Fairway wrote:It's a great hire for UofM, Juwan has been successful, and he is a Michigan Man.
Personally, I think they should have reached out to Rudy T - but I was a Rockets fan in the 1990's so that taint my judgement

So let me pose a few questions
- who wins a B1G title first - Jimmy or Juwan?
- who wins a natty first - Jimmy or Juwan?
- who leaves first - Jimmy or Juwan?

Spoiler:

Agree on the spoilers.

Harbs had two loaded teams the last two seasons and couldn't get it done. I'm lol'ing at their (typical) preseason rankings. The past two years it was justified (and they still couldn't meet expectations). Now their D, especially their DL has been gutted. IMO DL is the most important position group in college football. You are not winning any championships without an elite level DL.

The hoops team has also been gutted and teams have caught on to X's shitty offensive game. Nigel is right, you can build quick in hoops. But you still aren't winning anything meaningful without a veteran squad, and this recruiting class looks like it will be decimated, which puts them 3 years out. Then the question becomes came he last that long/will recruits come if they are a middling B10 team the next two seasons.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:38

DWags wrote:Look, guys like K and Calipari are constantly loaded. They have the best players and they have some pretty great assistants. Yes, they win championships and yes they're always a top ten type team. But they don't dominate college basketball and teams beat them. I don't know what kind of X's and O's coach he will be, but I'm betting he's no better and most likely not going to be as good as K and Calipari. I think he will get some kids inthe next couple of years becasue of star power, but I don't think he's any kind of big ten threat.

I don't think he'll get those kids unless he cheats. Going to require some kind of sleazy Nike rep, booster, agent or some other scum bag with deep pockets to get these kids over to him.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:42

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I could be wrong, but I just don't see this working out well for UM.

Unless they somehow pull in some late 2019 recruits or grad transfers, they're going to struggle next year. After that, it doesn't take much to succeed if you can recruit.

Nigel, you are our recruiting expert. Can Howard pull in 5 star croots with his NBA cred or is it going to require money?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:42

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:Look, guys like K and Calipari are constantly loaded. They have the best players and they have some pretty great assistants. Yes, they win championships and yes they're always a top ten type team. But they don't dominate college basketball and teams beat them. I don't know what kind of X's and O's coach he will be, but I'm betting he's no better and most likely not going to be as good as K and Calipari. I think he will get some kids inthe next couple of years becasue of star power, but I don't think he's any kind of big ten threat.

I don't think he'll get those kids unless he cheats. Going to require some kind of sleazy Nike rep, booster, agent or some other scum bag with deep pockets to get these kids over to him.

The thing is, what I was trying to get at in my last post, this guy has never done a lick of recruiting. He may not even have a clue when he's crossed the line.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:43

DWags wrote:Look, guys like K and Calipari are constantly loaded.  They have the best players and they have some pretty great assistants.  Yes, they win championships and yes they're always a top ten type team.  But they don't dominate college basketball and teams beat them.   I don't know what kind of X's and O's coach he will be, but I'm betting he's no better and most likely not going to be as good as K and Calipari.   I think he will get some kids inthe next couple of years becasue of star power, but I don't think he's any kind of big ten threat.  
I often wonder - and I'll admit I'm totally out of touch with things - how much kids that are 16-17 years old even know about the Fab Five or Juwan Howard.. I mean, it would be like me be transfixed by the magical myth of Bob Cousy or George Mikan back in 1985.

I'm just wondering if this "star power" mystique is being overplayed.   John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 6 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:Look, guys like K and Calipari are constantly loaded.  They have the best players and they have some pretty great assistants.  Yes, they win championships and yes they're always a top ten type team.  But they don't dominate college basketball and teams beat them.   I don't know what kind of X's and O's coach he will be, but I'm betting he's no better and most likely not going to be as good as K and Calipari.   I think he will get some kids inthe next couple of years becasue of star power, but I don't think he's any kind of big ten threat.  
I often wonder - and I'll admit I'm totally out of touch with things - how much kids that are 16-17 years old even know about the Fab Five or Juwan Howard.. I mean, it would be like me be transfixed by the magical myth of Bob Cousy or George Mikan back in 1985.

I'm just wondering if this "star power" mystique is being overplayed.   John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 6 2599972566

Webber and Rose have big platforms. Having Wade and Lebron vouch for him is a pretty big deal too. I guess Howard has two kids that play in AAU basketball. That and people are expecting the Michigan brand to sell itself. Being honest here he probably has a shot at getting in front of these kids, getting them there for visits etc.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

25+ years ago. They may have heard about the Fab 5, but it's not going to influence a kid to go to UM. And Howard is the 3rd most famous one. Kids have more recognition of Jalen and Webber.

Howard is no Penny Hardaway (who had his own Nike AAU team). He might pull in the #1 class.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:59

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Nigel, you are our recruiting expert. Can Howard pull in 5 star croots with his NBA cred or is it going to require money?

He seems to be popular in Chicago (which is notoriously dirty).

5-10 years ago it would have been easy to "pay" players. Now, it's getting more difficult. Some schools find creative ways to do it. If you start seeing whole families move into nice neighborhoods in AA (like seems to happen in Durham), then you'll know.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 23 May 2019 - 10:00

Mitch has an article on freep dot com with a headline of "U-M's hiring of Howard not about former glory"

Hmmm. Anyone else see anything wrong with that statement?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 23 May 2019 - 10:05

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Mitch has an article on freep dot com with a headline of "U-M's hiring of Howard not about former glory"

"The Food and Flavors of Milwaukee" ..a memoir by Jeffery Dahmer.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 10:09

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

He seems to be popular in Chicago (which is notoriously dirty).

5-10 years ago it would have been easy to "pay" players. Now, it's getting more difficult. Some schools find creative ways to do it. If you start seeing whole families move into nice neighborhoods in AA (like seems to happen in Durham), then you'll know.

So if Chicago has cleans up that bodes well for UofM.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 23 May 2019 - 10:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Mitch has an article on freep dot com with a headline of "U-M's hiring of Howard not about former glory"

I looked in the NCAA basketball history books and didn't find any u of m basketball glory mentioned in the 80s or 90s.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 10:34

Hahaha Jalen wearing blue and gold on First Take.

That guy is so stuck in the past.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 10:39

Just listened to half of it. In which the guy takes zero responsibility for the reasons why the banners aren't hung up or his number isn't retired. Soft ball interview, how come no one ever presses him on this?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Thu 23 May 2019 - 12:03

If Howard went anywhere other than Michigan he wouldn't have even got a sniff with that resume. Fab Five or not.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 23 May 2019 - 12:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:

I looked in the NCAA basketball history books and didn't find any u of m basketball glory mentioned in the 90s.

Fixed.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 23 May 2019 - 12:55

Honestly, if SCum is embracing the current climate of sleaze that is college hoops, I applaud it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 23 May 2019 - 17:47

Wut
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 23 May 2019 - 17:52

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Webber and Rose have big platforms. Having Wade and Lebron vouch for him is a pretty big deal too. I guess Howard has two kids that play in AAU basketball. That and people are expecting the Michigan brand to sell itself. Being honest here he probably has a shot at getting in front of these kids, getting them there for visits etc.

This. No kid knows who Juwan Howard is. But they probably know the Fab 5, and if they don't it is going to be beaten into their head by the media over the next year. He also has the backing of Wade, Lebron, etc. and the mouthpieces in Weber & Rose. Michigan is going to get plenty of attention. Whether it matters or not is a different story.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 23 May 2019 - 18:05

Jamie Samuelson nailed it this morning. If Juwan Howard played basketball at any other school would he be Michigan's coach right now?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 23 May 2019 - 18:31

kingstonlake wrote:Jamie Samuelson nailed it this morning. If Juwan Howard played basketball at any other school would he be Michigan's coach right now?
Here's another question, did he interview for any other major program HC vacancies this spring?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 23 May 2019 - 18:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Jamie Samuelson nailed it this morning. If Juwan Howard played basketball at any other school would he be Michigan's coach right now?
Here's another question, did he interview for any other major program HC vacancies this spring?

None that I know of. Maybe for the Timberwolves job?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 18:41

kingstonlake wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

He interviewed for the Lakers.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 23 May 2019 - 18:45

steveschneider wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Why didn't Lebron hire him?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 23 May 2019 - 18:51

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 6 1966794946
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 23 May 2019 - 19:08

Nordic wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Good enough for Bron Bron to "vouch" for him for the SCum job....... Bout that Lakers job Bron, you put a good word in for me? Uhhh.... nah Bruh.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 23 May 2019 - 19:46

kingstonlake wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Good enough for Bron Bron to "vouch" for him for the SCum job....... Bout that Lakers job Bron, you put a good word in for me? Uhhh.... nah Bruh.

Lebron is a big fan of Ohio State. Talking up JH for the scum job is a calculated, evil genius move.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 23 May 2019 - 20:19

kingstonlake wrote:Honestly, if SCum is embracing the current climate of sleaze that is college hoops, I applaud it.

They've been embracing the sleaze that is Harbaugh ever since he was hired, there's not going to be a big jump by the walverines to embrace Howard.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 20:47

Nordic wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Lakers are a mess. Also I don’t think Bron has much control or say on what is going on. If Lebron had His way they would have give Lue 5 years.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 23 May 2019 - 20:50

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Lakers are a mess. Also I don’t think Bron has much control or say on what is going on. If Lebron had His way they would have give Lue 5 years.

Don't worry he plans on staying in the background this summer for free agency
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 23 May 2019 - 20:55

steveschneider wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Well...he talked with his former teammate Pelinka. Does that count as an interview?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 20:56

aualum06 wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

There will probably be a point where he asserts himself and tries to get more help. If the dysfunction continues in the front office it will happen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 23 May 2019 - 20:57

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Well...he talked with his former teammate Pelinka. Does that count as an interview?

No doubt in my mind that Pelinka got him in there for the interview.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 23 May 2019 - 21:03

steveschneider wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

There will probably be a point where he asserts himself and tries to get more help. If the dysfunction continues in the front office it will happen.

Almost bet he wishes he would have went to the other la team
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 23 May 2019 - 21:14

Seriously lsj?

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/mens-basketball/2019/05/23/msu-basketball-respert-other-former-spartans-weigh-howard-hire/1212278001/
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Fri 24 May 2019 - 17:04

So basically their coaching search boiled down to "Who will take this job for $2 million while the guy down the hall is making $9 million and hasn't won a damn thing."
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 30 May 2019 - 12:39

[tw]1134136671316848640[/tw]

How do you revisit this?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next