Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Beilein to the Cavs

+24
pulling69
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
Robert J Sakimano
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
SawGreen
Turtleneck
Heat Miser
aualum06
Cameron
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
InTenSity
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
28 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 3 Empty Re: John Beilein to the Cavs

Post by DWags 2019-05-14, 23:20

Vegas odds.

Here are some of the odds via BetOnline.ag:

Juwan Howard — 3/1
Billy Donovan — 7/2
Bobby Hurley — 5/1
Mike White — 5/1
Kevin Keatts — 7/1
Shaka Smart — 7/1
LaVall Jordan — 10/1
Luke Yaklich — 10/1
Saddi Washington — 10/1
Brad Stevens — 12/1
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-15, 01:18

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:What is your record, WBH? You might be on the shortlist. I heard your matchup zone is impenetrable.

No that was Greenway’s wife when he wanted to sex her up.

Truth. But thank Jeezy for Mrs. DWags. John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 3 3557613862
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2019-05-15, 04:43

DWags wrote: Vegas odds.

Here are some of the odds via BetOnline.ag:

Juwan Howard — 3/1
Billy Donovan — 7/2
Bobby Hurley — 5/1
Mike White — 5/1
Kevin Keatts — 7/1
Shaka Smart — 7/1
LaVall Jordan — 10/1
Luke Yaklich — 10/1
Saddi Washington — 10/1
Brad Stevens — 12/1

Vegas is just taking all the scUM trailer trash money with those numbers on Howard and Donovan. Zero percent chance on those guys
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-15, 05:52

Gotta say the Saint Beilein narrative is getting old. Also, it’s a bad look for college basketball shit is getting old as well. That somehow all the cheating drove this Knight in shiny armor out of the sport. The world of college basketball is going to go on and still be fun to watch without saint Beilein and maybe the real reason he left is that it would be pretty cool coach in a league where the level of basketball is the best in the world.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-05-15, 08:14

steveschneider wrote:Gotta say the Saint Beilein narrative is getting old. Also, it’s a bad look for college basketball shit is getting old as well. That somehow all the cheating drove this Knight in shiny armor out of the sport.  The world of college basketball is going to go on and still be fun to watch without saint Beilein and maybe the real reason he left is that  it would be pretty cool coach in a league where the level of basketball is the best in the world.

I'm not buying that narrative.  If cheating bothered him that much, he wouldn't have been pushing to embrace Webber.

Beilein aims to 'build bridges' between Webber, Michigan

I think he sees the NBA as a way to just coach.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-15, 08:27

steveschneider wrote:Gotta say the Saint Beilein narrative is getting old. Also, it’s a bad look for college basketball shit is getting old as well. That somehow all the cheating drove this Knight in shiny armor out of the sport. The world of college basketball is going to go on and still be fun to watch without saint Beilein and maybe the real reason he left is that it would be pretty cool coach in a league where the level of basketball is the best in the world.
agree - I like the guy but it's not like he was saving lives or committing his life to the homeless, disenfranchised and underrepresented.

I'm sure he did good things in his community (like a lot of folks) - but, yeah, I wish the media would give it a rest. Dude coaches basketball for a living and is a millionaire while doing it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-05-15, 08:53

Guy left because his team left, he's had heart surgery, he's at the end of the coaching career and why not try the NBA.

All the other stuff is just blah, blah, blah.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-15, 10:02

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Gotta say the Saint Beilein narrative is getting old. Also, it’s a bad look for college basketball shit is getting old as well. That somehow all the cheating drove this Knight in shiny armor out of the sport.  The world of college basketball is going to go on and still be fun to watch without saint Beilein and maybe the real reason he left is that  it would be pretty cool coach in a league where the level of basketball is the best in the world.

I'm not buying that narrative.  If cheating bothered him that much, he wouldn't have been pushing to embrace Webber.

Yeah, that's not a bad point. Or maybe he has a conscience and believes players should be paid so he's going to the league where it happens.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-05-15, 10:13

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yeah, that's not a bad point. Or maybe he has a conscience and believes players should be paid so he's going to the league where it happens.

Why does anyone change jobs?

More money and/or better work environment.

It was just a year ago that he said he was done flirting with the NBA and basically got a raise/extension to retire at UM.

Something changed.

Did UM not renew the rollover? That might piss him off.
Did they not match Cleveland's offer? That might piss him off.
Did he even give them a chance to match it? Doesn't seem like it (the AD was shocked he left).

Or it's just simple...
Maybe he sees the NBA as a lot less work. I could see that. Combine it with more money. And maybe a roster returning that doesn't look that great. Easy decision.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-15, 10:24

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Why does anyone change jobs?

More money and/or better work environment.

It was just a year ago that he said he was done flirting with the NBA and basically got a raise/extension to retire at UM.

Something changed.

Did UM not renew the rollover? That might piss him off.
Did they not match Cleveland's offer? That might piss him off.
Did he even give them a chance to match it? Doesn't seem like it (the AD was shocked he left).

Or it's just simple...
Maybe he sees the NBA as a lot less work. I could see that. Combine it with more money. And maybe a roster returning that doesn't look that great. Easy decision.

Yeah, all possible. Also NCAA is an amateur league. Put it in contrast with other sports, would you want to be a minor league manager or a major league manager? Pro ball is as exciting as it has ever been and I don't fault anyone for wanting to make the jump. He's not the first classy successful coach at a clean winning program to make the jump.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-05-15, 10:49

From what I've read about him personally, he is more of a science lab/professor type of guy. He's not a people person like Izzo. He's not a groomer of men, necessarily. Not that that is a bad thing, he just prefers the basketball aspect of it and the other stuff that comes with it, including recruiting, are not big bonuses from his perspective. He just wants to coach.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-15, 14:36

Here’s an idle thought: What, if anything, does it say about the state of the Pistons that JB__ passed on them and jumped at the Cleveland offer only a year later?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-05-15, 14:43

From what I read yesterday, the Pistons never gave him an offer.

But yeah I'd rather have Cleveland's situation than the Pistons. Pistons are stuck.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-05-15, 14:44

tGreenWay wrote:Here’s an idle thought: What, if anything, does it say about the state of the Pistons that JB__ passed on them and jumped at the Cleveland offer only a year later?

Pistons wanted casey.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-15, 14:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:From what I read yesterday, the Pistons never gave him an offer.

But yeah I'd rather have Cleveland's situation than the Pistons. Pistons are stuck.

Interesting. I don’t follow the NBA enough, other than to know two things: Like you said, the Pistons are stuck. And Gores and his family are assholes.
Detroit would’ve done well to go at Beilein with a serious offer.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-15, 14:52

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Here’s an idle thought: What, if anything, does it say about the state of the Pistons that JB__ passed on them and jumped at the Cleveland offer only a year later?

Pistons wanted casey.

Yep, and Casey >>>> Beilein
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-15, 15:05

Not buying the saint B______ angle either. You can bitch and moan all you want about NCAA basketball and the cesspool it is. Fact is a majority of the kids getting paid or on the take are going to play college ball somewhere. And 95% of these kids aren't on B______ radar anyways. At some point you're going to have to play those teams whether programs are dirty or not. And those teams will have kids you weren't recruiting anyways.

But the martyr fan base in Ann Arbor will run with the St B_____ angle.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-05-17, 10:01

Beilein on 97.1 the ticket.

On kids leaving early: ", Yes, it's much better knowing that I have Kevin Love signed to a four year contract and I also can do things in free agency. However, I could complain about a lot of things in college basketball, but I never complained on pay day. They pay us a lot of money to just coach basketball, so I'm not complaining about the things you have to deal with"

The interview was mostly about "Chad Tough". How close he was to Chad's family and that he had a player at Richmond who also just lost his little boy, 2 years old, to brain cancer.

I always liked him. In my lifetime, there hasn't been a Michigan coach I liked. Because of the rivalry, or because they were successful against us, or because they just said or did stupid shit towards or about MSU.(which is part of the rivalry). But I've never had one bad thought about Beilein. "Illegal recruiter", "Cries to refs" "gets calls because he works the officials". His offense was fun to watch. He made both of our teams better.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-17, 11:57

DWags wrote:Beilein on 97.1 the ticket.

On kids leaving early: ", Yes, it's much better knowing that I have Kevin Love signed to a four year contract and I also can do things in free agency. However, I could complain about a lot of things in college basketball, but I never complained on pay day. They pay us a lot of money to just coach basketball, so I'm not complaining about the things you have to deal with"

The interview was mostly about "Chad Tough". How close he was to Chad's family and that he had a player at Richmond who also just lost his little boy, 2 years old, to brain cancer.

I always liked him. In my lifetime, there hasn't been a Michigan coach I liked. Because of the rivalry, or because they were successful against us, or because they just said or did stupid shit towards or about MSU.(which is part of the rivalry). But I've never had one bad thought about Beilein. "Illegal recruiter", "Cries to refs" "gets calls because he works the officials". His offense was fun to watch. He made both of our teams better.

Yeah, all the takes that the corruption in bball drove him out. Who started this shit? It's just their opinion and most of these people are just talking out of the wazoo. I still stand by it the NBA is where basketball is played at the highest level and coaching at that level has to be a very attractive opportunity. If a team makes an offer I can see why a coach would leave a good job in the amateur league to coach in the pros.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-17, 16:41

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:Beilein on 97.1 the ticket.

Yeah, all the takes that the corruption in bball drove him out. Who started this shit? It's just their opinion and most of these people are just talking out of the wazoo. I still stand by it the NBA is where basketball is played at the highest level and coaching at that level has to be a very attractive opportunity. If a team makes an offer I can see why a coach would leave a good job in the amateur league to coach in the pros.

Yep. These are highly competitive people we’re talking about. Reaching the pros is probably the dream for a very large percentage of coaches, same as it is for athletes.
However, I do think whatever stink there was between players in the um locker room this past season might’ve been the nudge JB__ needed to go pro. Especially since it sounds like at least one of the parents might’ve been a significant PITA during the year.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-21, 12:50

Ed Cooley says he's staying in Providence and has a new contract extension to show for it.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-21, 12:57

Floyd Robertson wrote:Ed Cooley says he's staying in Providence and has a new contract extension to show for it.
so no Coach K, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Izzo and Calipari.. Ed Cooley (whoever that is)... who's next??

John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 3 Semi-pro-review-02

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-05-21, 13:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Ed Cooley says he's staying in Providence and has a new contract extension to show for it.
so no Coach K, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Izzo and Calipari.. Ed Cooley (whoever that is)... who's next??

John Beilein to the Cavs - Page 3 Semi-pro-review-02

That isn't a picture of Dan Dakich
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-21, 13:45

Is he the dude with alopecia?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-21, 13:55

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Yep, same guy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-21, 14:22

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Yep, same guy.
does Alopecia's boyfriend know that?   Shocked
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-21, 16:07

Sounds like Juwan Howard gets the job. Might work if they want to get back to the days of cheating. Will be interesting to see if the Fab 5 brand still has drawing power.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-05-21, 16:15

steveschneider wrote:Sounds like Juwan Howard gets the job. Might work if they want to get back to the days of cheating. Will be interesting to see if the Fab 5 brand still has drawing power.

With all of the public chatter, it would have been hard not to give the job to Howard.

They better hope it works out.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-21, 16:20

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Sounds like Juwan Howard gets the job. Might work if they want to get back to the days of cheating. Will be interesting to see if the Fab 5 brand still has drawing power.

With all of the public chatter, it would have been hard not to give the job to Howard.

They better hope it works out.

The Fab 5 are the greatest thing to ever happen to basketball as long as you like black socks and you don't look at their results.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-21, 16:21

Also, my opinion I would have gone after LaVall Jordan. Seemed like a good realistic hire and someone that has a qualification called experience.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-05-21, 16:28

DWags wrote:Juwan Howard?

May 13 bump.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-05-21, 16:28

steveschneider wrote:Also, my opinion I would have gone after LaVall Jordan. Seemed like a good realistic hire and someone that has a qualification called experience.

Timing was a little bad, but they should have had plenty of qualified coaches interested in the job. I wonder if their arrogance turns off some people.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-05-21, 16:29

Purely from an MSU fans perspective I’ll take it. No head coaching experience. Alum during a flashy era. Could be a trainwreck.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-05-21, 16:30

It still blows my mind that Beilein didn't tell his assistant coaches he was leaving before it was announced.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-21, 16:34

DWags wrote:

May 13 bump.

DWags wrote:

May 13 bump.

Nice. Yeah, given how stuck in the past that school is it's not surprising.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-21, 16:34

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Purely from an MSU fans perspective I’ll take it. No head coaching experience. Alum during a flashy era. Could be a trainwreck.

Yeah, and if he fails and gets the pink slip it will further strain the relationship between the university and the Fraud 5.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-21, 16:53

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Purely from an MSU fans perspective I’ll take it. No head coaching experience. Alum during a flashy era. Could be a trainwreck.

I could see it working out if they embrace their old cheating ways. The Fraud 5 keep talking about landing big time recruits, seems like code for cheating if you ask me.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-05-21, 16:56

steveschneider wrote:

Yeah, and if he fails and gets the pink slip it will further strain the relationship between the university and the Fraud 5.

UM doesn't need the Fab 5 for anything. It was 25+ years ago. I'm guessing there are a few (white, old, grouchy) UM people around who want nothing to do with the Fab 5. It will get ugly if Howard fails. The AD just put himself on the hot seat.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-21, 17:16

Counting on it. Plus, he has no idea about the rules and paperwork involved, plus alumni contact, and all the other glad-handing. I’m hoping for a massive failure.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-21, 18:51

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

UM doesn't need the Fab 5 for anything. It was 25+ years ago. I'm guessing there are a few (white, old, grouchy) UM people around who want nothing to do with the Fab 5. It will get ugly if Howard fails. The AD just put himself on the hot seat.

The best case scenario I can think of is Howard can sell his experience with Pat Reilly, Lebron and the Fraud 5 to convince some 5 star recruit to come to A2 for 6 months as a one and done. The good news is as we've seen upper classmen have dominated the 5 star one and dones in the tourney. I think this is going to be a disaster for UofM and it's a big win for Tom Izzo and the Spartans.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next