Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

+26
Bill Cain
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
aualum06
Tim Wakefield
MattyFresh
Robert J Sakimano
I.B. Fine
Jake from State Farm
Nordic
SawGreen
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
Rocinante
DWags
Banks2Mason
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Cameron
30 posters

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-04-15, 00:14

Wow I don't agree with much of that at all. But hey man that's what makes a show great. Just the fact that we are willing to break it down to that level says something.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by Nordic 2020-04-15, 00:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Wow I don't agree with much of that at all. But hey man that's what makes a show great. Just the fact that we are willing to break it down to that level says something.

Tell me more detail as to why you disagree. We will probably agree to disagree, but maybe I'm missing something.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-04-15, 00:39

Nordic wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Wow I don't agree with much of that at all. But hey man that's what makes a show great. Just the fact that we are willing to break it down to that level says something.

Tell me more detail as to why you disagree. We will probably agree to disagree, but maybe I'm missing something.

Well I'm on my phone so not going to get too wild.

I reconsidered your point about Jimmy being out of character while I was in the shower (quarantine fun!) And I sort of agree with you there. He and Mike could have definitely come up with a better story and Jimmy didn't sell it like Jimmy sells everything. It was a cool setup for Kim, but it was out of character for both. Could Jimmy be exhausted and Mike be underestimating Lalo? Sure. But I see your point.

I was sweating bullets during the apartment scene. Not so much because I thought Jimmy was going to get got, but because Kim was now fully immersed in the game and reading tea leaves I don't think she makes it out of BCS. And I really like her character and I don't want her to become a victim of this.

And Gus has Bolsa on his side. Bolsa was the one who got the leak from the Cartel and had the banditos go after Jimmy, not knowing it was a Fring play. Gus knows exactly what he's doing, he's leading Lalo back to Mexico where Bolsa can take care of him and have him clean up the mess much more easily than he can in NM.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-15, 01:52

InTenSity wrote:The kids like the new trolls movie. Just thought I'd throw that in here.

There’s a movie about giant moose?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-15, 03:48

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yep.
If you have Amazon Prime, there is a new movie, Late Night, that isn't too bad. Or maybe I just needed a change in type of movies I'm watching lol. Mindy Kaling is in it and I think she wrote it as well. It can be corny, but most movies are.
I started S3 of Westworld last night. Interesting to see where it goes. The 1st episode could be a whole new series. I'm sure my mind will be changed after a few more episodes.

I’ll look for it, thanks InTen.

Two episodes into The Handmaid’s Tale. Damn, this is going to be good.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-04-15, 06:33

tGreenWay wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
If you have Amazon Prime, there is a new movie, Late Night, that isn't too bad. Or maybe I just needed a change in type of movies I'm watching lol. Mindy Kaling is in it and I think she wrote it as well. It can be corny, but most movies are.
I started S3 of Westworld last night. Interesting to see where it goes. The 1st episode could be a whole new series. I'm sure my mind will be changed after a few more episodes.

I’ll look for it, thanks InTen.

Two episodes into The Handmaid’s Tale. Damn, this is going to be good.

I hope I don't taint this for you, but I found it overwrought, boring and pointless. Yeah, bad religion. I've pretty much abandoned it in season 3, still waiting for something to happen.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-04-15, 07:38

I think Handmaid's Tale is still awesome. I haven't heard many complaints like Floyd's, but to each their own.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-04-15, 07:46

I did 1&2, I haven't started 3 yet. I think I have it on the backburner for when I finish a couple other series.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-04-15, 09:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Well I'm on my phone so not going to get too wild.

I reconsidered your point about Jimmy being out of character while I was in the shower (quarantine fun!) And I sort of agree with you there. He and Mike could have definitely come up with a better story and Jimmy didn't sell it like Jimmy sells everything. It was a cool setup for Kim, but it was out of character for both. Could Jimmy be exhausted and Mike be underestimating Lalo? Sure. But I see your point.

I was sweating bullets during the apartment scene. Not so much because I thought Jimmy was going to get got, but because Kim was now fully immersed in the game and reading tea leaves I don't think she makes it out of BCS. And I really like her character and I don't want her to become a victim of this.

And Gus has Bolsa on his side. Bolsa was the one who got the leak from the Cartel and had the banditos go after Jimmy, not knowing it was a Fring play. Gus knows exactly what he's doing, he's leading Lalo back to Mexico where Bolsa can take care of him and have him clean up the mess much more easily than he can in NM.

Warning Spoilers

Spoiler:
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-04-15, 21:26

We are watching Onward. I had to get up and stand behind the couch and post on here because 'my back hurts'.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-04-15, 23:01

Watching Breaking Bed for the first time... End of season 2. Just watched Jessica Jones die. Pretty good.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-16, 16:05

Wrapped up the latest episode of BCS (5:9)
Holy shit, Kim.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-04-16, 16:15

Slogging through Tales from the Loop... OMG slow. I suppose if you can handle that type of story it's pretty good.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-18, 01:34

There’s a movie on HBO right now, but I can’t talk about it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-18, 16:44

Zombieland Double Tap was just okay. Rough start but got better. IMO, the problem with it is the same with a lot of sequels; it felt scripty and forced. The original was smooth and organic and Double Tap has none of that.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-04-18, 16:55

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Slogging through Tales from the Loop... OMG slow. I suppose if you can handle that type of story it's pretty good.

I liked it, but I can see where it would put a lot of people to sleep.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-04-18, 17:19

tGreenWay wrote:Zombieland Double Tap was just okay. Rough start but got better. IMO, the problem with it is the same with a lot of sequels; it felt scripty and forced. The original was smooth and organic and Double Tap has none of that.

The original was surprisingly good.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-18, 17:24

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Zombieland Double Tap was just okay. Rough start but got better. IMO, the problem with it is the same with a lot of sequels; it felt scripty and forced. The original was smooth and organic and Double Tap has none of that.

The original was surprisingly good.

Had known nothing about the first one as I started watching it one weekend, mostly out of boredom. Couldn’t believe how good it was. Irreverent and funny. Great characters and interesting story. Should’ve known the second had no chance of matching the original. It was a money grab because of its cult popularity. Still, I’m glad I watched DT, and if they make a third, I’ll watch that too, because I’m a fool.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-04-18, 17:29

Same. I watched it about 3 years ago, bored, had zero expectations and it sucked me in.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-18, 17:31

Nordic wrote:Same. I watched 3-4 years ago, bored, had zero expectations and it sucked me in.

Yup. And going into a movie with no expectations, only to find it’s a good movie, is really fun. It’s way more organic than if you’ve seen a studio trailer fifty times on various channels.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-04-18, 19:09

I found Prime now has The Great Escape, one of my all-time favorites, but they also have The Magnificent Seven which somehow I've never seen. Tough decision right now.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-04-18, 19:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:I found Prime now has The Great Escape, one of my all-time favorites, but they also have The Magnificent Seven which somehow I've never seen. Tough decision right now.
yeah... mag 7. It's good as I recall... And Yule Brenner....(Spelling?)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-04-18, 19:18

World On Fire on PBS Masterpiece Theater. BBC scripted series about WWII. I've seen the first two episodes, and the characters are starting to develop nicely. Episode 3 airs tomorrow night. I think the season is only 5 or 6 episodes in total, covering a timeline of the first several months of the war, but has been renewed for a second season.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-04-18, 19:22

Floyd Robertson wrote:I found Prime now has The Great Escape, one of my all-time favorites, but they also have The Magnificent Seven which somehow I've never seen. Tough decision right now.

Just watch both, one after the other. Not such a tough decision. Maybe start with Magnificent 7 since you haven't seen it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-04-18, 19:23

MiamiSpartan wrote:World On Fire on PBS Masterpiece Theater. BBC scripted series about WWII. I've seen the first two episodes, and the characters are starting to develop nicely. Episode 3 airs tomorrow night. I think the season is only 5 or 6 episodes in total, covering a timeline of the first several months of the war, but has been renewed for a second season.

One of the things I miss about not having cable is PBS and I can't get it OTA. I'm really thinking about springing for their Passport to watch this.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-04-18, 19:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Just watch both, one after the other. Not such a tough decision. Maybe start with Magnificent 7 since you haven't seen it.

I did start with 7. Not sure I'll make it through both in one night, being the geezer I am.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-04-19, 00:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:World On Fire on PBS Masterpiece Theater. BBC scripted series about WWII. I've seen the first two episodes, and the characters are starting to develop nicely. Episode 3 airs tomorrow night. I think the season is only 5 or 6 episodes in total, covering a timeline of the first several months of the war, but has been renewed for a second season.

Will check it out.

Watching 1917 right now. Good, but as good as some of the greats (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, etc.)
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-04-19, 00:44

I finished S2 of the Wire tonight. I honestly don't think I picked it up this far back when I originally watched it. If I did I do not remember most of this stuff at all.

Unofficial top ten through two seasons.

10. Whee Bey
9. Carver
8. Prez
7. Bubs
6. McNulty
5. Bunk
4. Stringer
3. Daniels
2. Lester
1. Kima
0. Fuck I ran out of spots but it's obviously Omar
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-04-19, 00:59

Omar tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 9 3003718628
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-04-19, 01:07

I'm on mobile so no spoiler. I loved Omar before this. But the absolute best is when he rolls up on Brother Mouzone, shoots him, and then realizes he's being played by Stringer. Calls 911 and leaves. 😄😄

Fucking awesome.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-04-19, 01:32

The Wire is a show that I only remember the characters, not the storylines.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-04-19, 08:16

Nordic wrote:

Will check it out.

Watching 1917 right now. Good, but as good as some of the greats (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, etc.)

I really need to get around to watching it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-04-19, 11:16

Finally started Mr Robot final season. It’s taking me a minute to get back into it. I’ve kind of forgotten where we were. I don’t see me watching the whole thing again though.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-04-19, 12:46

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Will check it out.

The first part is straight outta Dan Carlin.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-04-19, 15:38

Nordic wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

The first part is straight outta Dan Carlin.

Sounds right up my alley!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-04-19, 16:19

Only the series finale left in The Plot Against America. Really enjoying this short series, though it’s scary and frustrating because of how real it seems.
Also very strange with Zoe Kazan in this. The casting director must have loved the irony.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-04-19, 16:35

Who is watching the Jordan thing? I'll watch the begging tonight. But they better put in the gambling stuff, the way the league didn't mind him getting out for a while and cooling off.

Am discussing with some of my football players from the mid 90's in a facebook group about most watched t.v. ever. Many think that because of the situation we're all in, this will beat some superbowls as far as viewing audience. I'm trying to think of the shows most watched ever. ( without lookin them up) I'd say last MASH episode. The "Who shot JR" episode. The O.J. Simpson chase. Wife and I stayed home instead of going out. We got pizza and they say that that might be the most pizza's ever sold.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-04-19, 16:49

I want to watch it. I don't hate him anymore, I got over that by the time the Pistons were back to sucking in the mid 90s.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-04-19, 17:17

DWags wrote:Who is watching the Jordan thing? I'll watch the begging tonight. But they better put in the gambling stuff, the way the league didn't mind him getting out for a while and cooling off.

Am discussing with some of my football players from the mid 90's in a facebook group about most watched t.v. ever. Many think that because of the situation we're all in, this will beat some superbowls as far as viewing audience. I'm trying to think of the shows most watched ever. ( without lookin them up) I'd say last MASH episode. The "Who shot JR" episode. The O.J. Simpson chase. Wife and I stayed home instead of going out. We got pizza and they say that that might be the most pizza's ever sold.

I'm sure I have some grass to watch grow or paint to watch dry before I get around to watching that.

But with all due respect to your buddies, they are beyond delusional if they think this will draw Super Bowl numbers. I mean, I'm having trouble wondering how that even enters into their head, lockdown or not. There are SO many options for people to watch and this isn't transcending sports by any means. Right now, a Kobe documentary would get better ratings.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-04-19, 17:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:Who is watching the Jordan thing? I'll watch the begging tonight. But they better put in the gambling stuff, the way the league didn't mind him getting out for a while and cooling off.

I'm sure I have some grass to watch grow or paint to watch dry before I get around to watching that.

But with all due respect to your buddies, they are beyond delusional if they think this will draw Super Bowl numbers. I mean, I'm having trouble wondering how that even enters into their head, lockdown or not. There are SO many options for people to watch and this isn't transcending sports by any means. Right now, a Kobe documentary would get better ratings.

Good points, and I'm going to steal them for our facebook group. LOL
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next