Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

+26
pulling69
Tim Wakefield
InTenSity
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Wally Fairway
Banks2Mason
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Bill Cain
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
DWags
CORNER BLITZ
I.B. Fine
Cameron
NigelUno
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
30 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 6 Empty Re: So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-02-10, 20:14

I definitely would look at Jim Leonard. The guy at Toledo is intriguing as well. Would way rather take a shot with a young guy than Bielema or Creighton. And not a young guy but I do think Barnett should be considered. I know he has a TON in common with Bobby Williams but I think he knows the job, knows the landscape and can recruit like hell.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 6 Empty Re: So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

Post by aualum06 2020-02-10, 20:16

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I definitely would look at Jim Leonard. The guy at Toledo is intriguing as well. Would way rather take a shot with a young guy than Bielema or Creighton. And not a young guy but I do think Barnett should be considered. I know he has a TON in common with Bobby Williams but I think he knows the job, knows the landscape and can recruit like hell.

Barnett has to have a spot somewhere just for recruiting purposes. He's the only reason a lot of players came
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-10, 20:19

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’m team Bret Beilema

The level of disdain for that guy among the fanbase would make it interesting. I can't imagine how people could reconcile that in their heads. Then again, I think some MSU fans sent him a wedding gift, so maybe it would be ok.

I’m team chaos who gives a fuck at this point the U is a disaster
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-10, 20:19

Do you guys think when Beekman sent that jet to Penn State to throw off the technical savy peeps, if he meant to send it to Pittsburgh but screwed that up too?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-10, 20:20

Actually team anyone but tressel can you imagine the apathy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-02-10, 20:20

Katie Sowers
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-10, 20:26

DWags wrote:Do you guys think when Beekman sent that jet to Penn State to throw off the technical savy peeps, if he meant to send it to Pittsburgh but screwed that up too?

There was a flight plan to go to Penn State after talking to Fickell. They changed it and flew back to Lansing. It was either subterfuge or they felt very confident with Fickell's interview.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-02-10, 20:28

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:Do you guys think when Beekman sent that jet to Penn State to throw off the technical savy peeps, if he meant to send it to Pittsburgh but screwed that up too?

There was a flight plan to go to Penn State after talking to Fickell. They changed it and flew back to Lansing. It was either subterfuge or they felt very confident with Fickell's interview.

Can't leave yesterday without fickell signing the dotted line
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-02-10, 20:28

Beekman is in WAY over his head. He simply has no business being an athletic director at any school, let alone heading one of the top 20 programs (in terms of revenue). Add to that, he has been completely eviscerated by our board of trustees.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-10, 20:40

aualum06 wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yeah. I don't understand what happened. They didn't offer him the job, but it was his if he wanted it? Did they tell him to sleep on it? Get a yes or no. He had a week to think about it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-02-10, 21:26

NigelUno wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Yeah. I don't understand what happened. They didn't offer him the job, but it was his if he wanted it? Did they tell him to sleep on it? Get a yes or no. He had a week to think about it.

I personally dont believe for a second there wasn't a job offer, in fact I think it happened and was preliminary agreed before coach d retired
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-02-10, 22:26

There was a job offer. The job offer was accepted. The dude talked to his wife and changed his mind. There was not a soul associated with this job search on the MSU side who did not think it was a done deal, from Beekman to Haller to the Glen guy heading the search firm up. I'm sure none of them would have said it was 100% because there was no signed contract, but they had an agreement in place and the way the talks had gone, there was little indication of cold feet.

Hindsight is a funny thing. I see flaws in the way they approached it now, certainly. I don't know though, they had their guy and the energy was certainly reciprocated. It sucks. Whatever. Let's move on and start to get hyped for Coach Jim Leonhard (this is my conjecture, not based on anything). Should I start a Welcome thread?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-02-10, 22:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:There was a job offer. The job offer was accepted. The dude talked to his wife and changed his mind. There was not a soul associated with this job search on the MSU side who did not think it was a done deal, from Beekman to Haller to the Glen guy heading the search firm up. I'm sure none of them would have said it was 100% because there was no signed contract, but they had an agreement in place and the way the talks had gone, there was little indication of cold feet.

Hindsight is a funny thing. I see flaws in the way they approached it now, certainly. I don't know though, they had their guy and the energy was certainly reciprocated. It sucks. Whatever. Let's move on and start to get hyped for Coach Jim Leonhard (this is my conjecture, not based on anything). Should I start a Welcome thread?

Please start one for Bret since whoever you start one for is not coming.

But wait, Fickell turned out to be Fickle?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-10, 22:34

aualum06 wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I personally dont believe for a second there wasn't a job offer, in fact I think it happened and was preliminary agreed before coach d retired

I think some of that is Fickell or Beekman covering their tracks a bit.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-10, 22:42

Not a great look for wbh's boy

[tw]1227049342453866502[/tw]
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-02-10, 23:04

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I definitely would look at Jim Leonard. The guy at Toledo is intriguing as well. Would way rather take a shot with a young guy than Bielema or Creighton. And not a young guy but I do think Barnett should be considered. I know he has a TON in common with Bobby Williams but I think he knows the job, knows the landscape and can recruit like hell.

I could get on board with Da Bang Stick..Whoever we pick is a crapshoot at this point. If I'm a up and coming coach, I give MSU a hardpass right now. Ohio is on lockdown for recruits and the Blackwell saga is doing us no favors in our backyard. Barnett has ties to both.

A reclamation project (Bert, Butch) will jump at the chance. Barnett is a bit of one as well.

Fuck it. Barnett it.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-02-10, 23:08

Others are on board with Barnett as well...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/4718828002
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-02-10, 23:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Not a great look for wbh's boy

Doesn't weibs work for Comp now? This has weibs written all over it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-10, 23:12

I like Hennings list in the News won’t link but there are some you 30’s guys at Wisconsin OSU and Oklahoma.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-02-10, 23:14

Nordic wrote:

God I hated that kid. I also would believe his deep involvement.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-02-10, 23:14

I think Comp appeals to people who surf the net using a Sabre Pyramid.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-02-10, 23:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:There was a job offer. The job offer was accepted. The dude talked to his wife and changed his mind. There was not a soul associated with this job search on the MSU side who did not think it was a done deal, from Beekman to Haller to the Glen guy heading the search firm up. I'm sure none of them would have said it was 100% because there was no signed contract, but they had an agreement in place and the way the talks had gone, there was little indication of cold feet.

I was right there with on this when the news broke. But I was just bargaining with myself. This search was botched before the season even started when the let the Blackwell lawsuit linger and when all parties didn't have a clear plan in place if (or when) CMD retired.

Fickell saw this and bailed

Last edited by Nordic on 2020-02-10, 23:22; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-10, 23:21

Nordic wrote:

He said it was a source in Ohio.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-10, 23:23

Nordic wrote:

I was right there with on this when the news broke. But I was just bargaining with myself. This search was botched before the season even started when the let the Blackwell lawsuit linger and when all parties didn't have a clear plan in place if (or when) CMD retired.

Fickell saw this and bailed

Maybe. He also has 6 kids. Maybe the wife likes Cincinnati. A lot less pressure there, and he'll get a raise out of it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-02-10, 23:27

I know we are playing a bit of a guessing game here, but I definitely noticed a discrepancy in numbers.

The initial contract we heard was Fickell, 5 years roughly 28 million.

Later I heard reports that changed to 4.3 million per year (possibly after some BOT involvement).

Any chance that factored into the decision?
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-02-10, 23:35

DWags wrote:I like Hennings list in the News won’t link but there are some you 30’s guys at Wisconsin OSU and Oklahoma.

Solid article. I'll link it. Take a shot downfield at this point.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/lynn-henning/2020/02/10/no-retreads-please-michigan-state-needs-fresh-face-firebrand/4715464002/
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-11, 07:00

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:I like Hennings list in the News won’t link but there are some you 30’s guys at Wisconsin OSU and Oklahoma.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/lynn-henning/2020/02/10/no-retreads-please-michigan-state-needs-fresh-face-firebrand/4715464002/
I have a little bit of respect for Henning. Will read this after I make coffee.

Thanks.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-11, 07:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I have a little bit of respect for Henning. Will read this after I make coffee.

Thanks.

I think he's friends with Guest.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-11, 07:50

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I have a little bit of respect for Henning. Will read this after I make coffee.

Thanks.

I think he's friends with Guest.
I hope Henning treads lightly with regard to commentary.. Guest doesn't like being sad.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-11, 08:03

Nordic wrote:

good takes from Henning, as usual. I tend to agree with the overall theme of this column.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6