Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

+26
pulling69
Tim Wakefield
InTenSity
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Wally Fairway
Banks2Mason
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Bill Cain
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
DWags
CORNER BLITZ
I.B. Fine
Cameron
NigelUno
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
30 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 2 Empty Re: So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-02-05, 08:59

NigelUno wrote:Not sure I quite understand what Coach D will be doing in the athletic department.

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed with the new hire (but, Dantonio wasn't exactly a big name hire).

Special projects sounds like getting a paycheck for doing nothing.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 2 Empty Re: So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-02-05, 09:12

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Not sure I quite understand what Coach D will be doing in the athletic department.

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed with the new hire (but, Dantonio wasn't exactly a big name hire).

an MSU special
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-02-05, 09:20

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Heavy on the Fundraising, I'm sure.

It doesn't seem like he's a great fit for that, unless they're just going to trot him out for some alumni events.
He's been involved with fundraising for 13 years and has personal relationships with big donors. He personally texted many of them yesterday to tell them. And yes, I'm sure alumni events will be part of it, as well.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2020-02-05, 09:20

I take a break from the board, and now Bob is leading the football discussion???

Has anyone said Izzo or Mariucci?
If there isn't a plan then we need a new AD; and we really do need a new AD

I'm not sold on Fickell, but I really don't follow the coaching who's hot and who's not - I wish they'd at least interview someone like Yurcich
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-05, 09:25

Wally Fairway wrote:I take a break from the board, and now Bob is leading the football discussion???

Has anyone said Izzo or Mariucci?
If there isn't a plan then we need a new AD; and we really do need a new AD

I'm not sold on Fickell, but I really don't follow the coaching who's hot and who's not - I wish they'd at least interview someone like Yurcich
my charisma as it relates to leadership and galvanizing a message board is unparalleled.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 09:26

Maybe it's not a big deal, but it just sounds weird that he has a job lined up already. Maybe he doesn't. Is he working for Beekman? Does he get an office somewhere? Who approved this? The BoT?

It kind of sounds like a negotiated settlement of sorts. Maybe it's not. I don't know.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-02-05, 09:27

Maybe he's going to be the next AD when Beekman gets his golden parachute.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-02-05, 09:28

NigelUno wrote:

Maybe it's not a big deal, but it just sounds weird that he has a job lined up already. Maybe he doesn't. Is he working for Beekman? Does he get an office somewhere? Who approved this? The BoT?

It kind of sounds like a negotiated settlement of sorts. Maybe it's not. I don't know.

this happens literally all the time when long-tenured coaches retire. it may have actually been in his contract.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-05, 09:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It doesn't seem like he's a great fit for that, unless they're just going to trot him out for some alumni events.
He's been involved with fundraising for 13 years and has personal relationships with big donors. He personally texted many of them yesterday to tell them. And yes, I'm sure alumni events will be part of it, as well.

This. And he's a great man to have on that team.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-05, 09:39

I think, too, that D will continue to be a defender of the program and those who question it. I liked the tone he took last evening with the ESPN twerp during the press conference.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 09:42

Banks2Mason wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

this happens literally all the time when long-tenured coaches retire. it may have actually been in his contract.

There is a section in his contract (page 9) regarding Post-Coaching Employment, but it seemed to apply with a pre 1/15 date (meaning he didn't get his $4.3 million bonus). It's a little confusing though. Sounds like he still might get $1,000,000/year for an undetermined time (if that's the job he's referencing).

https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/markdantonio-msu-employment-contract.pdf
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 09:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:Maybe he's going to be the next AD when Beekman gets his golden parachute.

No.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-02-05, 09:48

NigelUno wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

There is a section in his contract (page 9) regarding Post-Coaching Employment, but it seemed to apply with a pre 1/15 date (meaning he didn't get his $4.3 million bonus). It's a little confusing though. Sounds like he still might get $1,000,000/year for an undetermined time (if that's the job he's referencing).

https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/markdantonio-msu-employment-contract.pdf

good god what a sweet gig. not only all that money, but you essentially don't have to pay for anything normal people do either.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-05, 09:55

I wonder how much he will bring in to the university vs. his payout of a million, health benies and extras? I'm sure some actuary has done the math and figured out MSU will come out ahead, but with MSU, who knows.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 10:01

DWags wrote:I wonder how much he will bring in to the university vs. his payout of a million, health benies and extras? I'm sure some actuary has done the math and figured out MSU will come out ahead, but with MSU, who knows.

I think over his career, he's probably brought in a lot more (but not sure all of that gets back to the athletic department).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-02-05, 10:18

Is this why college tuition keeps going up? Because retired coaches keep getting a million a year for not coaching the team anymore?

Seems dumb to me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-05, 10:29

Cameron wrote:Is this why college tuition keeps going up? Because retired coaches keep getting a million a year for not coaching the team anymore?

Seems dumb to me.

I'm not sure where the money is coming from here Cam. I know the salaries are taken from the Athletic Department which is a stand alone and has nothing to do with MSU general fund or tuition. The only time that students were assessed money that I can remember, was for the Brez construction. I don't think it was a lot, but all other athletic money is usually taken from ahtletics which makes their own. MSU is, most years in the black for that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-02-05, 10:47

Fund raising with specific donors. Special projects sounds more palatable.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-02-05, 10:48

[tw]1225077946366513152[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-02-05, 11:07

GRR Spartan wrote:

Fund raising with specific donors. Special projects sounds more palatable.

Sheeeeet, If Perles can get a luxury box for life, Dantonio should have 3 or 4 of them... knock down the walls. Put a hot tub in.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 11:09

Floyd Robertson wrote:[tw]1225077946366513152[/tw]

That plane flew to Cincy on Monday morning, and back on Monday night (and then went immediately to Holland).

That would make sense if people from a local organization went to interview someone for a job.  They were there all day.

Last edited by NigelUno on 2020-02-05, 11:12; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-05, 11:09

Cameron wrote:Is this why college tuition keeps going up? Because retired coaches keep getting a million a year for not coaching the team anymore?

Seems dumb to me.
MSU moved to block tuition last year. I don't think there is a plan for tuition to increase beyond that, at least for now.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-05, 11:11

If we land this hire I'll give Beekman a lot of credit. I hear nothing but people dumping on this dude but it would be a pretty impressive hire especially if they pull it off this quickly.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-02-05, 11:13

steveschneider wrote:... I hear nothing but people dumping on this dude....

Pro-Tip... People are morons and the internet is a cesspool.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 11:13

steveschneider wrote:If we land this hire I'll give Beekman a lot of credit. I hear nothing but people dumping on this dude but it would be a pretty impressive hire especially if they pull it off this quickly.

Fickell? He's a good fit. No reason to wait if he wants the job.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 11:15

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:... I hear nothing but people dumping on this dude....

Not sure hiring Fickell means he's a great AD. Any one of us could ID him as an option. If he's hired pretty quick, I'll be impressed (that means there was a plan in place).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-05, 11:20

NigelUno wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Not sure hiring Fickell means he's a great AD. Any one of us could ID him as an option. If he's hired pretty quick, I'll be impressed (that means there was a plan in place).

I see your point, but to make this process go smoother than I expected would be a positive in my opinion.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 11:23

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I see your point, but to make this process go smoother than I expected would be a positive in my opinion.

It remains to be seen how smooth it will be though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-02-05, 11:26

Seems dumb to me.

have you been to campus lately and seen the constant and massive construction efforts? that's where it's going.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-02-05, 11:32

Banks2Mason wrote:

Seems dumb to me.

have you been to campus lately and seen the constant and massive construction efforts? that's where it's going.

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't set foot on campus in over a year.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-02-05, 11:32

If I recall the transition in for Dantonio wasn't the smoothest either....(raining Pelini heads anyone?) He wasn't exactly the first choice for "fans" and didn't they announce it prior to the bowl game or something? He had them wait until after his bowl game which some where rankled about missing out on recruiting or something....
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-02-05, 11:45

[tw]1225097858174590977[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 11:47

AvgMSUJoe wrote:If I recall the transition in for Dantonio wasn't the smoothest either....(raining Pelini heads anyone?) He wasn't exactly the first choice for "fans" and didn't they announce it prior to the bowl game or something? He had them wait until after his bowl game which some where rankled about missing out on recruiting or something....

Seemed like Beekman was trying to say he (sort of) had a plan in place. There's really no competition with other schools looking for coaches right now.

Hopefully they work through a short list fast.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-02-05, 11:48

Fickell has been on the radar for a couple of years. At least on Dantonio's radar and maybe even on the radar of some big donors. So I wouldn't think it would be anything astute by Beekman necessarily, and ground work had likely been laid by others, whether it pays off or not.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-02-05, 11:54

MiamiSpartan wrote:Fickell has been on the radar for a couple of years. At least on Dantonio's radar and maybe even on the radar of some big donors. So I wouldn't think it would be anything astute by Beekman necessarily, and ground work had likely been laid by others, whether it pays off or not.

His hiring is a good fit considering the fickle fan base.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-05, 12:06

MiamiSpartan wrote:Fickell has been on the radar for a couple of years. At least on Dantonio's radar and maybe even on the radar of some big donors. So I wouldn't think it would be anything astute by Beekman necessarily, and ground work had likely been laid by others, whether it pays off or not.

To make a baseball analogy, those guys get paid a lot of money to make a routine pop fly look incredibly smooth and easy where it's common to the layman to take for granted how difficult it is in real life. I've played soft ball pick up games where you'll see the same type of pop fly up in the air the out fielder runs 5 feet left, 5 feet right and will end up making constant adjustments to catch the ball. Beekman is a pro outfielder and if he makes this look like a routine hire I'll be impressed.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-02-05, 12:07

heard someone this morning say "we should at least give Bret Bielema a look".. now, I appreciate that he's (more or less) a Big Ten guy and he did a great job at Wisconsin.. but, man, he ran Arkansas into the ground.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-05, 12:08

Robert J Sakimano wrote:heard someone this morning say "we should at least give Bret Bielema a look".. now, I appreciate that he's (more or less) a Big Ten guy and he did a great job at Wisconsin.. but, man, he ran Arkansas into the ground.

Pair him with Enos as an OC that would be quite the combo.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-05, 12:11

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Fickell has been on the radar for a couple of years.  At least on Dantonio's radar and maybe even on the radar of some big donors.  So I wouldn't think it would be anything astute by Beekman necessarily, and ground work had likely been laid by others, whether it pays off or not.

To make a baseball analogy, those guys get paid a lot of money to make a routine pop fly look incredibly smooth and easy where it's common to the layman to take for granted how difficult it is in real life. I've played soft ball pick up games where you'll see the same type of pop fly up in the air the out fielder runs 5 feet left, 5 feet right and will end up making constant adjustments to catch the ball. Beekman is a pro outfielder and if he makes this look like a routine hire I'll be impressed.

Or...

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 2 Canseco-head-gif
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-02-05, 12:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:heard someone this morning say "we should at least give Bret Bielema a look".. now, I appreciate that he's (more or less) a Big Ten guy and he did a great job at Wisconsin.. but, man, he ran Arkansas into the ground.

I would hire him for OL coach and tell him to the state of Wisconsin and start lining up linemen.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next