Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

+26
pulling69
Tim Wakefield
InTenSity
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Wally Fairway
Banks2Mason
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Bill Cain
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
DWags
CORNER BLITZ
I.B. Fine
Cameron
NigelUno
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
30 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 Empty Re: So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:12 pm

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Fickell has been on the radar for a couple of years. At least on Dantonio's radar and maybe even on the radar of some big donors. So I wouldn't think it would be anything astute by Beekman necessarily, and ground work had likely been laid by others, whether it pays off or not.

To make a baseball analogy, those guys get paid a lot of money to make a routine pop fly look incredibly smooth and easy where it's common to the layman to take for granted how difficult it is in real life. I've played soft ball pick up games where you'll see the same type of pop fly up in the air the out fielder runs 5 feet left, 5 feet right and will end up making constant adjustments to catch the ball. Beekman is a pro outfielder and if he makes this look like a routine hire I'll be impressed.

if CMD really and truly dropped this on MSU like a couple of days ago, which I doubt, then he's a massive dick. the MSU brass should always have a tentative contingency plan to replace a coach anyway.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 Empty Re: So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:heard someone this morning say "we should at least give Bret Bielema a look".. now, I appreciate that he's (more or less) a Big Ten guy and he did a great job at Wisconsin.. but, man, he ran Arkansas into the ground.

I would hire him for OL coach and tell him to the state of Wisconsin and start lining up linemen.
good point.

hire him for the OL, send him to Wisconsin and Iowa with a truck full of scholarships and say "I don't want to see your doughy white ass again until you bring back 6-8 corn fed bumpkins with crewcuts who are all 6'5", 285 lbs".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:14 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:If I recall the transition in for Dantonio wasn't the smoothest either....(raining Pelini heads anyone?) He wasn't exactly the first choice for "fans" and didn't they announce it prior to the bowl game or something? He had them wait until after his bowl game which some where rankled about missing out on recruiting or something....
He wasn't even on the radar of fans, except for blanch and a couple of others (yes, I said it, I'll give credit where due, blanch suggested MD earlier in the 2006 season, I think, prior to anyone else on tRCMB....well, he meant Mark Dantonio, but he probably spelled it something like Merg Dangtoneo).

But yeah, it was anything but smooth. Raining Pelini Heads on tRCMB. Comp had heard that it was Grantham just an hour or two before MD was announced. Kelly was very much a hot candidate that we were talking to (but good ol' Joel wasn't having that and threatened to undermine that). MD happened so quick because he refused to talk to us until after his bowl, so it's hard to really know for sure if he was truly the first choice from the start and the others were Plan B options, if he wasn't first choice to begin with, but became first choice after interviewing, or if he was a compromise candidate. I'd always heard the latter, but either way, we had typical MSU in-fighting, and one way or another stumbled into greatness.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:16 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I would hire him for OL coach and tell him to the state of Wisconsin and start lining up linemen.
good point.

hire him for the OL, send him to Wisconsin and Iowa with a truck full of scholarships and say "I don't want to see your doughy white ass again until you bring back 6-8 corn fed bumpkins with crewcuts who are all 6'5", 285 lbs".

you don't think other schools try that? those kids grow up dreaming of playing for wisconsin, the only game in town.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:16 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Fickell has been on the radar for a couple of years. At least on Dantonio's radar and maybe even on the radar of some big donors. So I wouldn't think it would be anything astute by Beekman necessarily, and ground work had likely been laid by others, whether it pays off or not.

His hiring is a good fit considering the fickle fan base.

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 1486952199 So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 1486952199 So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 1486952199
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

To make a baseball analogy, those guys get paid a lot of money to make a routine pop fly look incredibly smooth and easy where it's common to the layman to take for granted how difficult it is in real life. I've played soft ball pick up games where you'll see the same type of pop fly up in the air the out fielder runs 5 feet left, 5 feet right and will end up making constant adjustments to catch the ball. Beekman is a pro outfielder and if he makes this look like a routine hire I'll be impressed.

if CMD really and truly dropped this on MSU like a couple of days ago, which I doubt, then he's a massive dick. the MSU brass should always have a tentative contingency plan to replace a coach anyway.
He didn't.  Is anyone reporting that?  I mean, he did just drop it on his players and staff, but it's been pretty widely stated (at least on the bunker, and I thought on here) that the admin knew a couple of weeks ago that this was something that he was considering.  The timing of them knowing seems to fit fairly well with the timing of him learning that he's going to be a grandpappy.

But yes, you would think that they always have a contingency plan.  Any school should.  Circumstances change in people's lives, people get sick, people die suddenly, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:23 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

He didn't.  Is anyone reporting that?  I mean, he did just drop it on his players and staff, but it's been pretty widely stated (at least on the bunker, and I thought on here) that the admin knew a couple of weeks ago that this was something that he was considering.  The timing of them knowing seems to fit fairly well with the timing of him learning that he's going to be a grandpappy.

But yes, you would think that they always have a contingency plan.  Any school should.  Circumstances change in people's lives, people get sick, people die suddenly, etc.

reporting, no. saying, yes. bc people are idiots.

some seem to believe that (1) beekman basically has to do this on his own and (2) prior to yesterday, had never even considered the possibility that he'd have to. but, idiots.

Last edited by Banks2Mason on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
good point.

you don't think other schools try that? those kids grow up dreaming of playing for wisconsin, the only game in town.
yep, that is true. The allure of Wisconsin is unique in that way.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:26 pm

Come on Fickell! What the fuck do you have to lose?!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Come on Fickell! What the fuck do you have to lose?!

proximity to the creation museum?
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

some seem to believe that (1) beekman basically has to do this on his own and (2) prior to yesterday, had never even considered the possibility that he'd have to. but, idiots.

Are you arguing with these people somewhere else?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Come on Fickell! What the fuck do you have to lose?!

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 502811600

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

no, but i've read it online and heard it in person.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
good point.

Yeah but there's lot of them boys and Wisconsin can only sign so many.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I hope you set them straight. Just sayin'.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:44 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

I hope you set them straight. Just sayin'.

there's no reasoning with idiots
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Some folks think Fickell is the guy.

Regardless of the final decision, I am very happy AD Beekman knew Dantonio was going to retire, started a coaching search and Joel Ferguson didn’t find out about Dantonio’s retirement until Tuesday when the rest of us started hearing rumors
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering...the buy out for the boat rower is $10 million.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:00 pm

NigelUno wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering...the buy out for the boat rower is $10 million.

Swill Kickstarter?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:02 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Some folks think Fickell is the guy.

Regardless of the final decision, I am very happy AD Beekman knew Dantonio was going to retire, started a coaching search and Joel Ferguson didn’t find out about Dantonio’s retirement until Tuesday when the rest of us started hearing rumors

I think Joel's days as being a power broker are long gone. Although if he wants to push Saleh as a minority candidate, I'm fine with that. Not sure he would fit Joel's parameters though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm

NigelUno wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Some folks think Fickell is the guy.

I think Joel's days as being a power broker are long gone. Although if he wants to push Saleh as a minority candidate, I'm fine with that. Not sure he would fit Joel's parameters though.

he's fun to joke about, but i imagine his days as a true sports power broker at MSU ended with the Bobby disaster.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:07 pm

hiring is a good fit considering the fickle fanbase

HEY OH!!!
Dance
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:12 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:

We have our own in an Ancient Aliens sort of way...

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 Broad-museum-2
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm

What was the inspiration for that anyway?  The AC vent things you can flap up and down (or sideways) in your car?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:23 pm

NigelUno wrote:What was the inspiration for that anyway?  The AC vent things you can flap up and down (or sideways) in your car?

it's an art museum. they look weird. it's cool MSU has one.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:31 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
NigelUno wrote:What was the inspiration for that anyway?  The AC vent things you can flap up and down (or sideways) in your car?

it's hideously ugly..

but, then again, I don't really do a ton of art.

we should see what Fickell thinks of it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

he's fun to joke about, but i imagine his days as a true sports power broker at MSU ended with the Bobby disaster.
Looking back Joel was the type that thrived the most when there was unrest and negativity around the program. He was still meddling (even if not as powerful) during the JLS era, but the MD era was bad for Joel's efforts to be relevant.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 pm

starting to think that the idea of Fickell really tickles my pickle.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

it's hideously ugly..

sorry msu didn't just build another brown rectangle, bob
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:

Oh. I thought it was Munn Ice Arena. Heard they were upgrading it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: it's hideously ugly..

meh - I wouldn't have gone to it, either.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

meh - I wouldn't have gone to it, either.

What if it was white?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: it's hideously ugly..

I too have always said, hmmm why keep building these brown buildings that eventually get covered with ivy? This would be a great place for a smashed spaceship looking thing. Right next to the gerbil parking ramp.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Exactly right. As fucked up as the administration is and has been there is no way they let Beekman do this alone.

Hell, the last time an AD made a pretty much solo hire we wound up with John L Smith. And Mason was 10x more qualified than Beekman.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:03 pm

DWags wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

I too have always said, hmmm why keep building these brown buildings that eventually get covered with ivy? This would be a great place for a smashed spaceship looking thing. Right next to the gerbil parking ramp.

I think it would have made a bigger statement out in the middle of a cow pasture south of campus (like a spaceship had indeed crashed into a field).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm

DWags wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:38 pm

DWags wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

i'm sure if you become MSU's (probable) largest donor in history they'd build it out of old natty light cans if you wanted So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 1494614055
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Banks2Mason wrote:
DWags wrote:

i'm sure if you become MSU's (probable) largest donor in history they'd build it out of old natty light cans if you wanted So, Who Will Be The Next Head Football Coach At Michigan State University? - Page 3 1494614055

So true. It could have looked line a giant penis and msu would have thanked him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:47 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Fickell? Narduzzi?

what does Narduzzi's contract look like at Pitt??

Matt Campbell from Iowa State?

Probably standard for the industry: Pieces of paper with lots of letters and numbers on it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:49 pm

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I’m on board with this.

Triple reverse pass every other play. Free beer every time we score.

Free hats for every win.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next