Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..

+28
duffy munn
Dendrobates
InTenSity
AvgMSUJoe
sεяεηιτλ
Pervis Muldoon
PennSpartan
NumbersDude
aualum06
NigelUno
Motown Spartan
Bredo Morstoel
Trapper Gus
RQA
Jake from State Farm
Rick Saunders
Rocinante
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
Turtleneck
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
32 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  Empty tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-15, 11:15

(we have plenty of SCOTUS-related threads.. just not one specific to rulings).

Washington (CNN) - Federal civil rights law protects gay, lesbian and transgender workers, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The landmark ruling will extend protections to millions of workers nationwide and is a defeat for the Trump administration, which argued that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act that bars discrimination based on sex did not extend to claims of gender identity and sexual orientation.

The 6-3 opinion was written by Justice Neil Gorsuch and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices.

pretty surprised by this.. not because it's the right thing to do, obviously, but because it was a 6-3 ruling.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  Empty Re: tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-15, 11:17

also today.. bad news for racist bigots, good news for decent Americans.

CNBC - The Supreme Court on Monday said it will not hear a challenge brought by the Trump administration to a so-called sanctuary law in California that was passed to limit the impact of the president’s immigration agenda in the state.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-15, 11:18

also, while both of these rulings/decisions are great for decent Americans, I wouldn't get too used to them.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-06-15, 11:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:(we have plenty of SCOTUS-related threads.. just not one specific to rulings).

Washington (CNN) - Federal civil rights law protects gay, lesbian and transgender workers, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The landmark ruling will extend protections to millions of workers nationwide and is a defeat for the Trump administration, which argued that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act that bars discrimination based on sex did not extend to claims of gender identity and sexual orientation.

The 6-3 opinion was written by Justice Neil Gorsuch and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices.

pretty surprised by this.. not because it's the right thing to do, obviously, but because it was a 6-3 ruling.

The fact that this ruling comes one business day after the Trump administration announced it is trying to limit insurance coverage for transgender people is awesome.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-15, 12:00

I'm shocked that the SCotUS actually got one right. Even more shocked that two of the "conservative" justices joined the majority decision.

Still a mostly broken institution, though.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-15, 12:06

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:(we have plenty of SCOTUS-related threads.. just not one specific to rulings).

The fact that this ruling comes one business day after the Trump administration announced it is trying to limit insurance coverage for transgender people is awesome.
yep - agree.

I suspect the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator was tipped off on the decision.. decided Friday that he'd appeal to his christian supporters before the SCOTUS ruling could be announced today.

either way, it's a great day for decent Americans.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-15, 12:07

Cameron wrote:I'm shocked that the SCotUS actually got one right. Even more shocked that two of the "conservative" justices joined the majority decision.

Still a mostly broken institution, though.
I wasn't too surprised by Roberts, a bit surprised by Gorsuch.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-15, 12:23

This is a big victory for privatey homosexual conservatives who are Publicly anti homosexual.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-06-15, 12:28

kingstonlake wrote:This is a big victory for privatey homosexual conservatives who are Publicly anti homosexual.

You mean Lindsey Graham?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-15, 13:10

Floyd Robertson wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:This is a big victory for privatey homosexual conservatives who are Publicly anti homosexual.

You mean Lindsey Graham?

If the strap on fits.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-15, 13:56

The conservatives in power never ever ever gave a single fuck about the social conservative Christian folk and I’ve been telling you all that for years but no one wanted to believe me. All they want, all theyve ever wanted, is big tax cuts for themselves and their rich friends and donors. They just use issues like this one and abortion to get the stupid rubes out there all riled up and voting for them, which continues to work amazingly even as they produce 0 in the way of actual results on the issues they claim to care about.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-15, 14:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The conservatives in power never ever ever gave a single fuck about the social conservative Christian folk and I’ve been telling you all that for years but no one wanted to believe me. All they want, all theyve ever wanted, is big tax cuts for themselves and their rich friends and donors. They just use issues like this one and abortion to get the stupid rubes out there all riled up and voting for them, which continues to work amazingly even as they produce 0 in the way of actual results on the issues they claim to care about.

Pretty sure you don’t have, or ever had, the market cornered on “Christian conservatives are hypocrites”. Maybe you have this place confused with another?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-15, 14:14

Kingston.

Reread my post. Slowly, if you must. I’m not saying theyre hypocrites.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-15, 14:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Kingston.

Oooooh, your saying conservatives run on conservative and often Christian values in order to get elected but don’t really have an intention in following through with that via legislation or judicial appointments. Yeah that’s not hypocritical at all. Gotcha.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-06-15, 16:17

How long before Trump starts whining about SCOTUS lifetime appointments since Gorsuch has left the reservation?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-15, 16:28

GRR Spartan wrote:How long before Trump starts whining about SCOTUS lifetime appointments since Gorsuch has left the reservation?

Probably as soon as he learns they’re lifetime appointments.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-15, 17:43

GRR Spartan wrote:How long before Trump starts whining about SCOTUS lifetime appointments since Gorsuch has left the reservation?

Well, let's see, in the past year (and some before that), he's attacked and/or pissed off so many other parts of the government that are supposed to function as non-partisan (IGs, the intelligence community, the diplomatic corps, and the military) because they weren't blindly partisan for him, so minus well take on the SCOTUS next! After all, he needs to delegitimize them now so that he has an excuse when they don't support his cries of a rigged election.

Granted, the SC is more partisan than the others I mentioned because they are political appointees and have to take a public stand, but they are also people that the president has zero control at all over.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-15, 18:02

The decision is solid. As partisan as the court can be on interpretations of the constitution it was kind of a no brainer, right? Civil rights have to apply to any living out of the womb human being don’t they? tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  2599972566
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-15, 18:34

kingstonlake wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Kingston.

Oooooh, your saying conservatives run on conservative and often Christian values in order to get elected but don’t really have an intention in following through with that via legislation or judicial appointments. Yeah that’s not hypocritical at all. Gotcha.

Kingston, I don’t know if you know what hypocrisy is. What you described is just lying.

But I’m not talking about them. I’m talking about the conservative voter who is stupid enough to believe them.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-06-15, 19:59

Gorsuch seems like my type of conservative. Seems like a reasonable dude. Kavanaugh still seems like a massive douche bag.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-15, 20:02

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Kingston, I don’t know if you know what hypocrisy is. What you described is just lying.

But I’m not talking about them. I’m talking about the conservative voter who is stupid enough to believe them.

lol!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-06-17, 10:15

The Supreme Court closed the door on LGBTQ employment discrimination. But it opened a window.

tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  3003718628

This article was written by one of those elite mainstream media types...with a PhD and published research on religion and law.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-18, 11:07

been a bad week for hate and bigotry this week at SCOTUS.

Washington (CNN) - The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked the Trump administration's attempt to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, an Obama-era program that protects hundreds of thousands of immigrants brought to the US as children from deportation.

The 5-4 ruling was written by Chief Justice John Roberts and joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-18, 11:59

LOL Roberts basically told the Trump admistration you have really shitty lawyers and might want to hire ones that don’t tell you want you want to hear.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-18, 12:00

kingstonlake wrote:LOL Roberts basically told the Trump admistration you have really shitty lawyers and might want to hire ones that don’t tell you want you want to hear.
tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-26, 07:28

Chances Roberts two previous rulings were crumbs so Obamacare can be struck down?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-06-26, 09:15

kingstonlake wrote:Chances Roberts two previous rulings were crumbs so Obamacare can be struck down?

Frankly, I was thinking, how can we get rid of the rapist on the supreme court and some of the other rright wing nazi's. I'm thinking that if, at this point Obama care is struck down, amid a pandemic, it will be another block on a level that is tilting left in this country. Maybe we get close enough to impeachment powers in our fall elections. (I know, but a guy can dream).
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-26, 09:34

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Chances Roberts two previous rulings were crumbs so Obamacare can be struck down?

Frankly, I was thinking, how can we get rid of the rapist on the supreme court and some of the other rright wing nazi's. I'm thinking that if, at this point Obama care is struck down, amid a pandemic, it will be another block on a level that is tilting left in this country. Maybe we get close enough to impeachment powers in our fall elections. (I know, but a guy can dream).
yeah - ya gotta love the party that respects the sanctity of human life advocating that healthcare be ripped away from millions of Americans during a pandemic. tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  502811600

and never put too much faith in SCOTUS. If you do, you do so at your own peril.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-26, 10:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

yeah - ya gotta love the party that respects the sanctity of human life advocating that healthcare be ripped away from millions of Americans during a pandemic. tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  502811600

They’ve been advocating long before a pandemic. I’m not a constitutional scholar but it stands a chance of getting struck down based on the reason it was being upheld is now gone (I think). It’s an aggressive try but does have merit. It’s hardly frivolous.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-26, 10:45

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:yeah - ya gotta love the party that respects the sanctity of human life advocating that healthcare be ripped away from millions of Americans during a pandemic. tOfficial SCOTUS Ruling Thread..  502811600

They’ve been advocating long before a pandemic. I’m not a constitutional scholar but it stands a chance of getting struck down based on the reason it was being upheld is now gone (I think). It’s an aggressive try but does have merit. It’s hardly frivolous.
it doesn't help that the colored boy's name is attached to it. And, yes, with KKKavanaugh and his seat that someone bought him, anything can happen. Someone invested a lot of money in him to make sure that a certain demographic of Americans know that they have very little value.

regardless of it's Constitutional merit, my point was that it's funny that pro-life christians want to take healthcare way from the most vulnerable among us.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-29, 10:26

another hit to the fine christian folks who like to pretend to be 'pro life'.

BREAKING: #SCOTUS just sided with abortion rights groups and upheld the constitutional right to abortion rejecting a state’s attempts to limit access to the procedure for the second time in 4 years.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-29, 10:45

Good.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-06-29, 10:50

ACTIVIST JUDGES!!!!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-29, 15:11

now is a good time to point out that a vast majority of 'pro life' christian types are perfectly fine with 125,000+ dead Americans from COVID19... just the cost of freedom.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-29, 16:25

Remember when Trump asked recently in a tweet, if the Supreme Court doesn't like him? Well, Donny, remember that the conservative judge who has been going against you, was the one that presided over your trial in the Senate. Maybe take it as a sign of what he thought about how that played out?

The White House statement about this calling them "unelected justices" (as if that's not the entire fucking point of their existence) is another shot by Trump and his people against the Constitution. By itself, meh, whatever, just some whining. But in concert with other recent things said and done, it feels like he's trying to lay the groundwork for questioning the legitimacy/bias of the Supreme Court. Almost as if he's expecting a major case to be fought there in, say November. One in which he's sure to lose, but will want to claim that he didn't lose.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-30, 10:48

#SCOTUS rules 5-4 that Montana’s exclusion of religious schools from state scholarship program funded by tax credits violates federal Constitution

bad news: this paves the way for white people to use taxpayer money to fund their hate-filled christian schools.

good news: this paves the way for white people to screech in outrage as taxpayer money is used to fund madrassas.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-06-30, 13:11

Just when you thought it was safe to trust the court again.... Separation of church and state goes kerplunk.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-30, 13:44

Rocinante wrote:Just when you thought it was safe to trust the court again.... Separation of church and state goes kerplunk.
yeah - just because the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator is bad at constitutional law (as previous decisions this month have determined), it's still one of the most backwards, knuckle-draggin' SCOTUS line-ups in history.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2020-06-30, 14:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's still one of the most backwards, knuckle-draggin' SCOTUS line-ups in history.

I'm well left of Roberts (though in reference to some discussion about Roberts' motives above I am naiive enough in my old age to hope that he votes what he believes is right and not what he thinks Trump deserves). Sorry for the ramble. What I was about to say is that Roberts is no Taney.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-09, 11:46

Regardless of how many skanks he’s paid off or abortions he’s paid for with campaign dollars it’s nice to know he can’t hide his finances from a legitimate investigation.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next