Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee.

+19
DWags
GRR Spartan
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
The Pantry
y2kMgrad
Rocinante
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
AvgMSUJoe
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
Dendrobates
Jake from State Farm
Motown Spartan
23 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee.

Post by Jake from State Farm Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:26 am

I'm sure the republicans will follow the Biden rule. Just like they did last time. lol!
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee.

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:27 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:My suspicion is that the GOP will pretend as if they care about the democracy in an attempt to hold on to the Senate majority in November and hold off on the process.

if they hold their majority, they'll continue with dismantling the democracy as usual.. if they lose their majority in November, they'll ram some misogynistic white supremacist through by years end.

They'll use this to drive their immoral, anti-traditional American values base to the polls.

By my nature, I'm an optimist.. this is probably the best case scenario.
Sounds about right
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 am

The Pantry wrote:Pretty funny how righteous all you Dems have become over the last few months. It's as if all of your party has suddenly started pooping roses.

Do you think Obama should have been allowed to nominate and have a vote for his own justice in February of 2016?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:02 am

Can we get Goose back here to see how many godly and gloriously delivered babies he plans on adopting?

I sure hope supply meets demand.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:35 am

kingstonlake wrote:Can we get Goose back here to see how many godly and gloriously delivered babies he plans on adopting?

I sure hope supply meets demand.
poor 'ol Guest. RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:37 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:My suspicion is that the GOP will pretend as if they care about the democracy in an attempt to hold on to the Senate majority in November and hold off on the process.

if they hold their majority, they'll continue with dismantling the democracy as usual.. if they lose their majority in November, they'll ram some misogynistic white supremacist through by years end.

They'll use this to drive their immoral, anti-traditional American values base to the polls.

I don’t know if that would work for them though. Who exactly is the voter out there is the conservative that cares about how a Supreme Court seat gets filled, while simultaneously was a threat to not vote for them already?

I guess there’s probably someone, somewhere, that fits that mold. But I don’t think it’s very many.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:27 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I don’t know if that would work for them though. Who exactly is the voter out there is the conservative that cares about how a Supreme Court seat gets filled, while simultaneously was a threat to not vote for them already?

I guess there’s probably someone, somewhere, that fits that mold. But I don’t think it’s very many.
I was simply thinking that with Democrat enthusiasm at what seems to be an all-time high, the GOP could hold this over their lukewarm more moderate constituents (not the hate-filled, racist misogynistic immoral base) as their last opportunity to save the (white) republic.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 am

Yeah I guess there are some of those Republican biden people that we stupidly seem to want to rely on that could be swayed by this
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:51 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I agree. And also, if they're going to push something through before January, then it won't be an election issue. In fact, it could work against turnout among any conservatives that are so hung up on the SC, as they already have a 6-3 edge.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 am

I'd be surprised if they force this through before Election Day. It would be a gift to the Democrat challengers in Maine, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, etc.

Then if they still lose their majority on November 3rd after holding off, confirmation hearings will start almost immediately.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:21 am

Can't help but to think of all the liberal purists that just couldn't vote for Hillary Clinton or the ones that can't vote for Biden. Gotta remember elections have very real consequences and sometimes you gotta go on defense and stop the nut bags that are going to do long lasting damage to our country.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

GRR Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:27 am

ACA is probably toast?

[tw]1307194955459375109?s=21[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:57 am

Hot take....

You’re gonna see senate polls start showing vulnerable R’s closing the gap.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Lindsay Graham being his usual cocksucking self
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:31 pm

[tw]1307340885273739275?s=21[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 pm

steveschneider wrote:[tw]1307340885273739275?s=21[/tw]
What does that have to do with anything, you fucking moron?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:41 pm

47 months ago I warned folks, some posters on this board that as much as you abhorred voting for Hillary Clinton the possibility of a Trump win followed by signing off on every Federal Judgeship including SCOTUS McConnell sent to him was going to send this country back to the early 1900’s politically regarding healthcare, Social Security, Medicare, worker protections and civil rights.

The floodgates were opened with Justice Kennedy’s retirement and McConnell going on a tear having Trump appoint 216 Federal Judges and possibly 14 more before November 3rd.

Don’t stay home or play high and mighty. Not voting for Clinton in 2016 has screwed over millions and if Trump is re-elected I fully expect him to purposely bankrupt Social Security and Medicare so he can hand the financial markets and Big Pharma Trillions in the next decade.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'd be surprised if they force this through before Election Day. It would be a gift to the Democrat challengers in Maine, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, etc.

Then if they still lose their majority on November 3rd after holding off, confirmation hearings will start almost immediately.

McConnell is willing to play the long game meaning he measures his effectiveness on the long term effects of his power. Regardless of Nov 3rd election outcomes McConnell will put the SCOTUS nominee on the fast track and ram thru confirmation before Christmas.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Typical Hillary shit, blame the voters for not wanting to vote for a shitty candidate, even when faced with Donald fucking Trump as the alternative.

Me, I'm gonna go ahead and blame Hillary for this. If she wasn't such an abhorrent loser, this all could have been avoided, and we could be talking about a potential 6-3 liberal majority instead.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:10 pm

My wife said last night that Trump might hold the nomination until after the election so that he can use it as leverage. Over who I don’t know since he already has the voters that it would matter to, but anyway today Politico published a story saying the same thing.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 pm

If he nominates Ted Cruz or another senator (weren't there one or two others on his list?), does Cruz still get a vote?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:29 pm

Whatever’s going on I guarantee you the GOP has their bases and scenarios covered six way to Sunday. The DNC has some very strong objections. People like Pelosi and Schumer will announce their objections while standing behind a podium. If they’re feeling really saucy they might send out a tweet or do a couple Sunday morning news shows.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'd be surprised if they force this through before Election Day. It would be a gift to the Democrat challengers in Maine, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, etc.

I saw a post last night on Twitter that if Kelly wins AZ, he gets sworn in immediately since he's replacing an appointment. Could help if hearings start right after the election, if true.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:30 pm

steveschneider wrote:ACA is probably toast?

[tw]1307194955459375109?s=21[/tw]

Don't worry, Trump has a big beautiful plan to replace it (with nothing).
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Rocinante wrote:My wife said last night that Trump might hold the nomination until after the election so that he can use it as leverage.  

She's a brilliant lady.

the GOP could hold this over their lukewarm more moderate constituents

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 2 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:30 pm

LOL, Collins in a transparent last ditch effort to save her campaign.

Mind you not saying outright she will not confirm the nominee.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:53 pm

kingstonlake wrote:LOL, Collins in a transparent last ditch effort to save her campaign.

they're gonna all posture and position themselves. They won't have a full Senate vote before election day.

They don't want/need to remind America of the contempt they have for the country.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:11 pm

kingstonlake wrote:LOL, Collins in a transparent last ditch effort to save her campaign.

Such a fraud phrase she used. They shouldn't vote before in no way means she won't fall in line.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:21 am

Prediction Trump will appoint a judge and the senate will confirm the judge. Second prediction all this talk about expanding the court will never come to fruition.

Dems will get steamrolled and my advice is win more elections.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Interesting thought. Governmental scholars of the Swill, does this idea appear to have merit?

https://sirota.substack.com/p/primary-schumer-to-guarantee-opposition
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:27 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Interesting thought. Governmental scholars of the Swill, does this idea appear to have merit?

https://sirota.substack.com/p/primary-schumer-to-guarantee-opposition

Umm, no. At least I don't think, if I'm understanding that article. It's a bit of a meandering rant at times (not that I'm one to talk). But it seems that his logic about Shumur being able to hold it up is based on purely unanimous consent. But he didn't bother to google it. From senate.gov:

"unanimous consent - A senator may request unanimous consent on the floor to set aside a specified rule of procedure so as to expedite proceedings. If no Senator objects, the Senate permits the action, but if any one senator objects, the request is rejected. Unanimous consent requests with only immediate effects are routinely granted, but ones affecting the floor schedule, the conditions of considering a bill or other business, or the rights of other senators, are normally not offered, or a floor leader will object to it, until all senators concerned have had an opportunity to inform the leaders that they find it acceptable."

It isn't a rule. It isn't even all that much of an unofficial understanding (as if that would matter). So basically all it takes is one Senator to object to unanimous consent, and it doesn't happen.

It is also worth pointing out that, IIRC, the House Republicans wanted unanimous consent about moving forward with the impeachment hearings and didn't get it, so I doubt the House Republicans will grant it now.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Speaking of things that will never happen because everything is too polarized, here's a crazy idea (sorry if it has been discussed).

Let's have an agreement (again, yeah right!) that Trump gets to pick the nominee, they can do the back ground checks, etc.....but confirmation hearings don't start until January.

If the Republicans have a majority, they get to approve the person. If the Democrats have control, they can hear the person out, go through the hearings, and vote on merit (not just an automatic No).

Seems like a compromise....which is why it won't happen.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:09 pm

They will put someone semi-reasonable (like an actual judge) up pre-election. If they win they will continue, if they lose control they will pull that nom and ram through some dickhead like ted cruz.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Read some article about the house starting impeachment hearings against Barr it Trump? Does that halt the senates everyday duties?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:30 pm

There was also something about stacking the court if/when they eventually get back the senate... Change the supreme court to 20 judges and appoint all libs.

They already smashed all assemblage of normalcy and made the court based on hypocrisy... Minuswell fuck the whole thing up.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:46 pm

FDR tried it. Didn’t work
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:04 pm

DWags wrote:FDR tried it. Didn’t work
I'm not a historian, but also back then there was a lot more compromise. I'm guessing that the Democrats maybe didn't have teh same reason they would have today. Republican's aren't going to play fair or by the same set of rules, so fuck em. If the American People vote and decide to put in Democrats over evil, morally empty republican's, than so be it. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch that I said that, our president is calling all Democrats socialist, anarchists who don't support the rule of law and are full of looters and rioters. So if the president can group a bunch of people together falsely, it is fair game.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:51 am

InTenSity wrote:
DWags wrote:FDR tried it.   Didn’t work
I'm not a historian, but also back then there was a lot more compromise. I'm guessing that the Democrats maybe didn't have teh same reason they would have today. Republican's aren't going to play fair or by the same set of rules, so fuck em. If the American People vote and decide to put in Democrats over evil, morally empty republican's, than so be it. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch that I said that, our president is calling all Democrats socialist, anarchists who don't support the rule of law and are full of looters and rioters. So if the president can group a bunch of people together falsely, it is fair game.
Not only are they morally bankrupt and evil, but republicans are a very fragile bunch.

Word is that the racist bigoted christian sexual predator is like to nominate a woman. RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:08 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
Not only are they morally bankrupt and evil, but republicans are a very fragile bunch.

Word is that the racist bigoted christian sexual predator is like to nominate a woman. RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 2 502811600

Let me guess. She’s white?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:39 am

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Let me guess. She’s white?
who probably enjoys being grabbed by the pussy by a fellow christian.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next