Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee.

+19
DWags
GRR Spartan
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
The Pantry
y2kMgrad
Rocinante
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
AvgMSUJoe
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
Dendrobates
Jake from State Farm
Motown Spartan
23 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee.

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-21, 07:44

[tw]1307348275901546496?s=21[/tw]

Blue states and the liberals in urban areas are going to get fed up. What’s our democracy going to look like when they’ve had enough with this bs?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee.

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-21, 08:02

[tw]1307994450006814720?s=21[/tw]

Priorities Grab more power and own the Libz.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-09-21, 08:45

This is a winning issue for the gop. They will definitely gain votes in the general. Especially among “on the fencers or recently Biden leaners.”
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-21, 09:02

kingstonlake wrote:This is a winning issue for the gop. They will definitely gain votes in the general. Especially among “on the fencers or recently Biden leaners.”
I don't think so - I suspect this could rally decent Americans who were maybe a bit disengaged previously.

the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator was always getting the hate-filled, racist  knuckle-draggin' demographic. This could push suburban moms more toward the side of traditional American values who like the idea of having healthcare coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-09-21, 09:42

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:This is a winning issue for the gop. They will definitely gain votes in the general. Especially among “on the fencers or recently Biden leaners.”
I don't think so - I suspect this could rally decent Americans who were maybe a bit disengaged previously.

the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator was always getting the hate-filled, racist  knuckle-draggin' demographic. This could push suburban moms more toward the side of traditional American values who like the idea of having healthcare coverage for pre-existing conditions.

I hope you’re right. I know more than a few “anti abortion Christians super trumpers” who’ve made a trip to the doctor or ponied up some $$ to keep life the way it is. If ya know what I mean....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-21, 09:50

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I hope you’re right. I know more than a few “anti abortion Christians super trumpers” who’ve made a trip to the doctor or ponied up some $$ to keep life the way it is. If ya know what I mean....
me too.

hate, racism and bigotry are powerful human attributes, for sure. They make people who otherwise pretend to be decent folks do very dark things.. as we've seen.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-09-21, 10:31

I see stuff like this, and not being a conspiracy theorist, I think this can't possibly be true.

[tw]1307306520632274945[/tw]

But in the Trumpdemic, it really makes you wonder.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-09-21, 10:36

There was a lot of talk in places, mostly I think I saw on Reddit, when Kennedy 'retired' that it might not have been on the up and up. The connection with his son working on Deutch Bank. I didn't know about the boss.
It was awfully convenient though for him to retire.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-21, 10:42

we'll never fully know the level of corruption and the extent that Russia/Putin owns not only the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator, but the GOP as a whole.

Putin is deciding who the SCOTUS nominee will be.. make no mistake about it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-21, 10:48

apparently our christian hero called Justice Ginsberg's granddaughter a liar on live TV this morning.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2020-09-21, 12:18

The Pantry wrote:Pretty funny how righteous all you Dems have become over the last few months. It's as if all of your party has suddenly started pooping roses.

I think the party poop smells way worse than roses and way better than the 2020 version of republicanism.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-09-21, 12:35

Curious as to why you think this will help Trump, especially among fence sitters/Biden leaners?

I tend to think the opposite. If they are neutral, or leaning Biden, they aren't ultra conservative, and I can't see the SC being something that would move the needle.

I feel like the over the top hypocrisy and partisanship is going to turn neutrals off. Also, typically (and speaking personally) neutrals will prefer a 5-4 split in the court in either side's favor, so that one side doesn't have too much of a run of things.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-09-21, 14:50

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Curious as to why you think this will help Trump, especially among fence sitters/Biden leaners?

I tend to think the opposite.  If they are neutral, or leaning Biden, they aren't ultra conservative, and I can't see the SC being something that would move the needle.  

I feel like the over the top hypocrisy and partisanship is going to turn neutrals off.  Also, typically (and speaking personally) neutrals will prefer a 5-4 split in the court in either side's favor, so that one side doesn't have too much of a run of things.

Maybe “win” isn’t the best word. I feel that Trump needs to bleed to himself  as much of the undecided or independent vote as he can. I haven’t looked at the racial makeup of undecideds but I’m guessing it’s a majority white. I believe the poll I saw (gallop) showed 20% of non Hispanic whites believe abortion shouldn’t be legal. At all. That’s a big number. I get that a lot of those are hard right and may not be undecided. But it might be enough to pick off a percentage. I was also surprised that 25% of total Hispanic and non whites who believe it shouldn’t be legal was 25%. A few more to pick off?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-09-22, 09:00

I’m sure you guys have already seen this. But Words from Lindsey Graham in 2016:

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say 'Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.'"
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-09-22, 09:40

Dendrobates wrote:I’m sure you guys have already seen this. But Words from Lindsey Graham in 2016:

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say 'Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.'"

Too bad he didn't finish his sentence to say "and when you do use my words against me, I won't care at all and I will continue to do whatever I need to do to push my own agenda and that of the Republicans."
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-22, 09:59

I saw a clip of Lindsey (who isn't gay and isn't attracted to young boys) whining about how mean Democrats were to KKKavanaugh.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-22, 10:39

In times like these can't help to think of the historically low turnout by the left during midterm elections prior to Trump winning and all the far left purists that couldn't be bothered to vote for the dems. There is without a doubt tyranny of the minority, gerrymandering, voter suppression etc but the advice of try winning a few elections also applies.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-09-22, 11:00

Down goes Mitt. Looks like a stall is the only way to avoid the appointment. Is a stall possible?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-09-22, 11:03

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Down goes Mitt. Looks like a stall is the only way to avoid the appointment. Is a stall possible?

I didn't believe for a second the dems would be able to stop this and I don't believe any of this talk about expanding the courts. Dems are going to get steamrolled again. Repubs have too much power in government to stop it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-09-22, 11:10

We should just add 328.2 million people to the Supreme Court. (Well, 328,199,992. We already have 8.) it’s this crazy idea I have called self governance where people could “vote” for things they want to happen and other people can’t tell them no on the basis of supporting the wishes of a tiny ruling class. It’s crazy but I think it could work.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-22, 12:38

steveschneider wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Down goes Mitt. Looks like a stall is the only way to avoid the appointment. Is a stall possible?

I didn't believe for a second the dems would be able to stop this and I don't believe any of this talk about expanding the courts. Dems are going to get steamrolled again. Repubs have too much power in government to stop it.
they're gonna get their racist, misogynist who has contempt for and detests human life confirmed regardless.

I suspect this will make it much more difficult for the GOP to hang onto the Senate, which is a good thing. If they're gonna confirm someone regardless, at least they're willing to sacrifice the majority.

of course, it also supports the theory that the fix is in on Election Day regardless. They know they have Russia, the mainstream media, USPS, etc. on their side, so they can pretty much do whatever they want. We'll see.

with confirmation a certainty, Democrats will be well-advised to focus on exposing the GOP's contempt for women, affordable healthcare, etc - let the personal qualities of whichever woman is nominated be left alone. They're gonna be a scumbag - that goes without saying. But if the Democrats wanna win in November, they'll leave that alone and focus on how hellbent the GOP is on destroying everyday Americans.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-09-23, 14:10

[tw]1308830379562987521[/tw]

I had forgotten about the Loeffler beyotch.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-09-23, 15:12

http://www.law.nyu.edu/sites/default/files/ECM_PRO_059254.pdf

RBG gives a talk on why she thinks the Roe decision was a mistake. It’s very readable and worth looking at. The good stuff starts in part 2

A quote from her talk that accompanied this article:

“The court had an easy target because the Texas law was the most extreme in the nation. [Roe] was an easy case and I felt that the court could have struck down that law and put down its pen. Instead the court wrote an opinion that made every abortion restriction in the country illegal in one fell swoop and that was not the way the court normally operates.”

From the article:
“A less encompassing Roe, one that merely struck down the extreme Texas law and went no further... I believe might have served to reduce rather than fuel controversy.”

The article seems to me to argue that Roe is flawed, and that later conservative courts chipped away at it with less than strict interpretations of Roe’s ruling, so even its flawed outcome is now easily in jeopardy. Maybe the overturning of the ruling shouldn’t be the pearl clutching emergency that so many people are freaking out about? It would remand abortion rights to the states and there would be states where it was safe and available and states where it wasn’t. That is literally no different than what we have now. Then, if the progress of the American psyche continues in the direction it’s going, and there’s no reason to think it won’t, through the democratic process, states will ideally begin to reflect the values of their constituencies.

It won’t be simple, but honestly, the left is fighting this battle that it has already lost. Roe has become mostly meaningless in many states.

I’m open to other thoughts. But RBG saw it coming.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-23, 15:23

Rocinante wrote:http://www.law.nyu.edu/sites/default/files/ECM_PRO_059254.pdf

RBG gives a talk on why she thinks the Roe decision was a mistake. It’s very readable and worth looking at. The good stuff starts in part 2

A quote from her talk that accompanied this article:

“The court had an easy target because the Texas law was the most extreme in the nation. [Roe] was an easy case and I felt that the court could have struck down that law and put down its pen. Instead the court wrote an opinion that made every abortion restriction in the country illegal in one fell swoop and that was not the way the court normally operates.”

From the article:
“A less encompassing Roe, one that merely struck down the extreme Texas law and went no further... I believe might have served to reduce rather than fuel controversy.”

The article seems to me to argue that Roe is flawed, and that later conservative courts chipped away at it with less than strict interpretations of Roe’s ruling, so even its flawed outcome is now easily in jeopardy. Maybe the overturning of the ruling shouldn’t be the pearl clutching emergency that so many people are freaking out about? It would remand abortion rights to the states and there would be states where it was safe and available and states where it wasn’t. That is literally no different than what we have now. Then, if the progress of the American psyche continues in the direction it’s going, and there’s no reason to think it won’t, through the democratic process, states will ideally begin to reflect the values of their constituencies.

It won’t be simple, but honestly, the left is fighting this battle that it has already lost. Roe has become mostly meaningless in many states.

I’m open to other thoughts. But RBG saw it coming.
I think the last thing the GOP wants/needs is to outlaw abortion all together.

a) where would their girlfriends/mistresses/daughters/wives go to get abortions?

and..

b) they wouldn't then be able to dangle the "sanctity of human life" carrot over the heads of the religious extremists every 4 years, thereby making it more likely for them to stay home on Election Day.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-09-23, 15:33

Overturning roe wouldn’t outlaw abortion. It would just not make it illegal to restrict it. The carrot is still there AND the gop would use it to attack the Babylons on the coasts.

Maybe congress gets its shit together and passes a law mandating widespread availability of contraception and a woman’s right to decide what happens with her own body. Who knows? Extreme situations spur action.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-23, 15:44

Rocinante wrote:Overturning roe wouldn’t outlaw abortion. It would just not make it illegal to restrict it. The carrot is still there AND the gop would use it to attack the Babylons on the coasts.

Maybe congress gets its shit together and passes a law mandating widespread availability of contraception and a woman’s right to decide what happens with her own body. Who knows? Extreme situations spur action.
we should outlaw old, rich white men.

That would go a long way to repairing the country.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-24, 13:26

the racist, bigoted sexual predator pulls a political stunt.. goes to "honor" RBG and the mourners booed him and chanted "vote him out"..

pretty awesome.

It'll be fun watching the mainstream media and GOP pretend to be outraged by this. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-09-24, 14:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the racist, bigoted sexual predator pulls a political stunt.. goes to "honor" RBG and the mourners booed him and chanted "vote him out"..

pretty awesome.

It'll be fun watching the mainstream media and GOP pretend to be outraged by this. Rolling Eyes

[tw]1309131222589865984[/tw]

TBF, it's pretty rare that we've had a president who has been such a shitty human being.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-24, 15:33

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the racist, bigoted sexual predator pulls a political stunt.. goes to "honor" RBG and the mourners booed him and chanted "vote him out"..

pretty awesome.

TBF, it's pretty rare that we've had a president who has been such a shitty human being.
he would have to spend 20 years of his disgusting, pathetic life just working toward becoming a 'shitty human being'.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-09-24, 16:50

Floyd Robertson wrote:

pretty awesome.

I'm just happy I can't see as much of his stupid fucking face.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-09-24, 17:59

Damn, if it was just this board voting, Trump wouldn't have a chance. I like that.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-24, 18:59

Jake from State Farm wrote:Damn, if it was just this board voting, Trump wouldn't have a chance. I like that.
we're a gaggle of decent, America-lovin' folks. RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 3 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-09-25, 18:35

Gazillion to one that Trump chose Amy Coney Barrett after just looking at her picture.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-09-25, 20:55

RIP RBG and welcome Merrick Garland as Joe Biden’s SCOTUS nominee. - Page 3 502811600

[tw]1309649436939821057[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-26, 12:44

I think it was down to her and Judge Reinhold.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-26, 15:16

How many abortions do you think this misogynistic lady has had?

Over/under set at 4.5.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-09-26, 15:22

What reason would I have to believe that she's had any?

You would suck as a Vegas oddsmaker, Bob.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-09-26, 15:45

Cameron wrote:What reason would I have to believe that she's had any?

She has like 7 kids so honesty I’m not sure there’s even viable time in there when she wasnt pregnant in order to get an abortion. Maybe when she was a teenager I suppose. I’m going with under.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-09-26, 17:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I think it was down to her and Judge Reinhold.

I hear Reinhold was passed over because he's a close talker.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-09-26, 21:32

Cameron wrote:What reason would I have to believe that she's had any?

what reason would I have to believe that she hasn't?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next