Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.

+13
MiamiSpartan
gomersbro
Robert J Sakimano
Trapper Gus
Pervis Muldoon
NigelUno
Heat Miser
duffy munn
Nordic
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
DWags
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.  Empty Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.

Post by DWags Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:48 pm

Katin Houser sounds promising.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan-state/Article/Michigan-State-QB-Katin-Houser-offseason-start-183484480/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.  Empty Re: Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:57 pm

Did you know that Katin Houser and MSU WR recruit Germie Bernard began playing on the same team in 6th grade?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.  Empty Re: Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.

Post by DWags Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Did you know that Katin Houser and MSU WR recruit Germie Bernard began playing on the same team in 6th grade?

Oh no, not again. Izzo Mooch Thorne Reed now this?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Did you know that Katin Houser and MSU WR recruit Germie Bernard began playing on the same team in 6th grade?

Hmmm… Are you sure that’s right? I swear I’ve heard a similar story but with different names.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:58 pm

Matt Trannon can rebound AND get the first down over the middle.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

The Pantry, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:46 pm

So, weight lifting young guys, is it really possible to put 12 pounds of muscle weight on in 2 months?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:52 pm

DWags wrote:So, weight lifting young guys, is it really possible to put 12 pounds of muscle weight on in 2 months?  

No

Last edited by Nordic on Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:06 pm

So does this kid challenge Thorne for the job in the next 2 years?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:13 pm

duffy munn wrote:So does this kid challenge Thorne for the job in the next 2 years?

I'd say no, unless Thorne pulls a Lewerke. Although at least 50% of Lewerke's problem was the dearth of talent around him + a shitty OC + injuries, IMHO. I don't see talent or OC as an issue going forward, so that leaves injury. That brings Houser in right on schedule as a RS Sophomore. Hopefully with more than a handful of snaps for experience.

EDIT: pretty sure Thorne has 3 years eligibility left due to the Covid year exemption. So Houser would theoretically be taking over as a RS Junior, assuming he jumps Fay, or Fay transfers.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:01 pm

DWags wrote:So, weight lifting young guys, is it really possible to put 12 pounds of muscle weight on in 2 months?

Yes.

12 oz. curls
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:31 pm

NigelUno wrote:

Yes.

12 oz. curls

He said muscle, not fat Wink
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:41 pm

Nordic wrote:

No

Edit: I'm going to adjust my answer here. If you've never been exposed to high level weight training training, you can make big and quick gains initially. This would require a very regimented hypertrophy programming and nutrition (this is equally as important as training). Note, hypertrophy training is different from strength training. They have very different approaches.  If your main goal is to get bigger you will want to focus on hypertrophy (time under tension, volume vs. intensity, etc.). College football trainers are going to do a mix of both and tailor a program with more hypertrophy training for croots that need to add weight and more strength training for those that are physically mature.

An 18-20 year old recruit can also recover quicker (increasing training volume) and have more T and HGH running through their body. They also have the most potential for gains as they don't have 'old man strength' yet (you are most likely bigger and stronger now than you were at 18, fat & muscle).

I'll add that is most likely complete bullshit if someone says they gained 12lbs of muscle without gaining fat. If you want to gain weight, you have to over eat. And unless you very in tune with your body, track every calorie in and every calorie burned, it is impossible to get it perfect. Tracking nutrition and workouts is a full time job for advanced body builders.  Most will bulk and then shred fat. Average joes aren't going to get it right. Easier for a football player as they are burning a lot of calories and have trainers/nutritionists monitoring them.

And let me address the before and after photos you are undoubtedly going to see over the next few months from football teams across the country. They are mostly bullshit. They've undoubtedly made gains, but those photos are marketing ploys. They use lighting, body position (look at shoulder and arm angles), muscle tension, oil, etc. to make the before/after pictures look as bad/good as possible.

TL:DR Most likely stretching the truth, but not impossible.

Last edited by Nordic on Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:35 pm

Thanks Nordic. Informative.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:03 pm

Heat Miser wrote:
duffy munn wrote:So does this kid challenge Thorne for the job in the next 2 years?

I'd say no, unless Thorne pulls a Lewerke. Although at least 50% of Lewerke's problem was the dearth of talent around him + a shitty OC + injuries, IMHO. I don't see talent or OC as an issue going forward, so that leaves injury. That brings Houser in right on schedule as a RS Sophomore. Hopefully with more than a handful of snaps for experience.

EDIT: pretty sure Thorne has 3 years eligibility left due to the Covid year exemption. So Houser would theoretically be taking over as a RS Junior, assuming he jumps Fay, or Fay transfers.

I think Thorne is poised for a big year. The kid just has it.

Which why I hope Houser is patient in this instant reward world which is college football. And I sure as hell don't want a Cade/JJ situation this fall.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:22 pm

Thorne has proven his worth. Would be difficult for me see him getting "challenged"... more reasonable would be him going pro next year. If Houser thought he was going to start right away he should have known better.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:29 pm

Nordic wrote:
Nordic wrote:

No

Edit: I'm going to adjust my answer here. If you've never been exposed to high level weight training training, you can make big and quick gains initially. This would require a very regimented hypertrophy programming and nutrition (this is equally as important as training). Note, hypertrophy training is different from strength training. They have very different approaches.  If your main goal is to get bigger you will want to focus on hypertrophy (time under tension, volume vs. intensity, etc.). College football trainers are going to do a mix of both and tailor a program with more hypertrophy training for croots that need to add weight and more strength training for those that are physically mature.

An 18-20 year old recruit can also recover quicker (increasing training volume) and have more T and HGH running through their body. They also have the most potential for gains as they don't have 'old man strength' yet (you are most likely bigger and stronger now than you were at 18, fat & muscle).

I'll add that is most likely complete bullshit if someone says they gained 12lbs of muscle without gaining fat. If you want to gain weight, you have to over eat. And unless you very in tune with your body, track every calorie in and every calorie burned, it is impossible to get it perfect. Tracking nutrition and workouts is a full time job for advanced body builders.  Most will bulk and then shred fat. Average joes aren't going to get it right. Easier for a football player as they are burning a lot of calories and have trainers/nutritionists monitoring them.

And let me address the before and after photos you are undoubtedly going to see over the next few months from football teams across the country. They are mostly bullshit. They've undoubtedly made gains, but those photos are marketing ploys. They use lighting, body position (look at shoulder and arm angles), muscle tension, oil, etc. to make the before/after pictures look as bad/good as possible.

TL:DR Most likely stretching the truth, but not impossible.

This is exactly what I came here to post. Well, not the typo where you repeat the word training twice, but otherwise, word for word.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:37 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Thorne has proven his worth. Would be difficult for me see him getting "challenged"... more reasonable would be him going pro next year. If Houser thought he was going to start right away he should have known better.

I love the competition. The more the better. Get out and deliver daily. No fat and sassy people.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:06 pm

DWags wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Thorne has proven his worth. Would be difficult for me see him getting "challenged"... more reasonable would be him going pro next year. If Houser thought he was going to start right away he should have known better.

I love the competition.  The more the better.  Get out and deliver daily.  No fat and sassy people.  

Agree and I'm all for playing the best guy. And against playing a guy just because stars and we can't let him transfer
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:04 pm

Thorne is good, not doubt. But I don't see him as going pro early good. He'd have to have a Heisman type season for that kind of talk. That would be awesome, and welcome, but I don't see it. Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.  2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:24 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I think Thorne is poised for a big year. The kid just has it.

Which why I hope Houser is patient in this instant reward world which is college football. And I sure as hell don't want a Cade/JJ situation this fall.

Thorne seems to be a good bet. He made some terrific clutch deep throws last year. He doesn't quite have Cook's knack for converting long third downs with perfect passes, and we went through some bad stretches of anemic offense, but he has talent, confidence and leadership ability. He could be a big star if he progresses again this season.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:30 pm

Ever 5 star believes they should be starting, walking in the door ...

Tuck needs these guys at MSU to build the talent.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:54 am

Thorne is the starter for the next year or two. Its absolutely great to have someone pushing him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:48 pm

Darius Snow playing linebacker. We’re getting faster there.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:03 pm

Seems like we have plenty of LBs. My guess is a lot of dudes will get a looks at the LB2, S and the Hybrid spots this spring. Snow will definitely start at one of those. I liked him at the Hybrid spot last year.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:29 pm

Nordic wrote:Seems like we have plenty of LBs. My guess is a lot of dudes will get a looks at the LB2, S and the Hybrid spots this spring. Snow will definitely start at one of those. I liked him at the Hybrid spot last year.

I think it’s his 5th position. Anybody with knowledge of five of the 11 spots on defense is going to be helpful.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:50 pm

We're not calling it "Bandit" are we?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:20 am

DWags wrote:Darius Snow playing linebacker. We’re getting faster there.

His last name is Snow. He should be playing linebacker
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:56 pm

Mel Tucker goes on epic rant describing Michigan State's 'relentless' mentality in spring practice

The head coach was ALL the way fired up for spring practice to get underway...
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Cameron, DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:26 pm

DWags wrote:Darius Snow playing linebacker. We’re getting faster there.

Good article on Snow

Michigan State's Darius Snow getting a look at LB in spring practice
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:41 pm

'I am excited to be home:' How Ashton Henderson’s journey at MSU has come full circle
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:34 pm

Who's going to the spring game?

Count on me being there.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:35 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Who's going to the spring game?

Count on me being there.

It’s not tonight, Bob.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:47 pm

Do we have the budget to pay Bob as a sideline reporter? I thought we went deep to retain Travis as recruiting coordinator. You guys are spending it like it’s herpes at a ho convention.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:53 pm

DWags wrote:Do we have the budget to pay Bob as a sideline reporter? I thought we went deep to retain Travis as recruiting coordinator. You guys are spending it like it’s herpes at a ho convention.

Seems right to pay Bob for services rendered, but tSwill Board won’t pay Bob extra if he went to cover the G&W game tonight. He needs to know when these events actually are.

As for Travis, the cost of his re-education is enormous and should be spread over to FY 2023.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:56 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:Do we have the budget to pay Bob as a sideline reporter?  I thought we went deep to retain Travis as recruiting coordinator. You guys are spending it like it’s herpes at a ho convention.

Seems right to pay Bob for services rendered, but tSwill Board won’t pay Bob extra if he went to cover the G&W game tonight. He needs to know when these events actually are.

As for Travis, the cost of his re-education is enormous and should be spread over to FY 2023.

I can pay Bob in bud lights and a Rolling Stones hat.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:19 pm

Bob has his own board here. Isn't that comp enough? Nobody else has their own board.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:09 pm

Heat Miser wrote:Bob has his own board here. Isn't that comp enough? Nobody else has their own board.

Have to say he isn't getting much action on that board ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:07 am

I got my 'sideline reporter' designation a handful of years ago after I was posting during the GW game from the south endzone. It was an impressive display of defiance, as my wife keeps an eye on data usage... but, as a vocal proponent of the free press, I hunkered down and persevered.

I got used to sleeping on the couch after a couple of nights.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:11 am

Count on me being there.
Bob, do we have to remove your apathy award?
gomersbro
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:23 am

gomersbro wrote:

Count on me being there.
Bob, do we have to remove your apathy award?
meh.. Rolling Eyes Spring football 2022 news-notes whatev you want to add here.  2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next