Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Ramblings

+30
Robert J Sakimano
dadmansabode
GRR Spartan
I.B. Fine
Heat Miser
kingstonlake
y2kMgrad
NigelUno
InTenSity
steveschneider
Pervis Muldoon
Wally Fairway
duffy munn
aualum06
Rick Saunders
Cameron
Other Teams Pursuing That
gomersbro
Travis of the Cosmos
SawGreen
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
DWags
Nordic
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Dendrobates
The Pantry
34 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Random Ramblings - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Ramblings

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-16, 20:20

The husband and I have a night out, although now we're too tired to be out long. But we will take a couple hours away.

So we're talking about our college days and how long we've been together. We just came to the realization that we've now been together for half our lives. That just blew our minds, and now we want to drink more.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-09-16, 20:26

Fucking spouses... amiright.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

The Pantry and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-09-16, 20:49

Dendrobates wrote:The husband and I have a night out, although now we're too tired to be out long. But we will take a couple hours away.

So we're talking about our college days and how long we've been together. We just came to the realization that we've now been together for half our lives. That just blew our minds, and now we want to drink more.

You guys were made for each other. And I want you to tell the board how nevets axed you.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-16, 21:16

DWags wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:The husband and I have a night out, although now we're too tired to be out long. But we will take a couple hours away.

You guys were made for each other. And I want you to tell the board how nevets axed you.

Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600
Wags, you may think it's great, but most likely no one else cares here.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-09-16, 22:58

When I asked my first wife to marry me it was on this overlook in the mountains above Pinedale, WY and she almost dropped the ring down the mountain. It was like slow motion bobbling it and then she caught it at the last second. It was pretty funny.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-17, 09:34

So we're talking about our college days and how long we've been together. We just came to the realization that we've now been together for half our lives. That just blew our minds,  and now we want to drink more.

45 years, 42 married as of a couple of weeks ago, it just gets better over time.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-17, 10:48

Trapper Gus wrote:

So we're talking about our college days and how long we've been together. We just came to the realization that we've now been together for half our lives. That just blew our minds,  and now we want to drink more.

45 years, 42 married as of a couple of weeks ago, it just gets better over time.

That is amazing!
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-17, 10:49

Dendrobates wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

That is amazing!

Thanks, probably more common than people think.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-19, 07:12

So on Friday night, I slid down about 3 stairs. You know how socks can make you slip easily. But my left leg went down, when my right leg didn't. I turned my ankle pretty good, and I couldn't put any weight on it. The next day, I got some crutches and a wrap, and we had a family bday party to get to. My cousin, who is an ER nurse, takes one look at my ankle and says I didn't sprain it, it's broken. She bugs me for a while saying I need to go to urgent care. Who's got time for that?
I agreed to go on Sunday. Sure enough, she's right. I broke my fibula. I pissed about it, as this little thing really fucks up my life. I can't do my job (relies on driving), so I can't go to PT (for fucking up my lower back), I am crawling up and down the stairs, and dealing with 2 little kids is sucking. I have to depend on other people carting them around. My control freak self is going to lose it.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-19, 07:13

And why does every local news station have to show the freaking queens funeral. She's still dead. We don't all want to watch it.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-19, 07:27

Sorry to hear about your ankle, they put it in a walking cast I assume?

Could you drive with your other leg, assuming it is the right one, but people can drive automatics with the left.

You could probably still find Hogan's Heros on the sub-channels.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-09-19, 07:50

Dendrobates wrote:So on Friday night, I slid down about 3 stairs. You know how socks can make you slip easily. But my left leg went down, when my right leg didn't. I turned my ankle pretty good, and I couldn't put any weight on it. The next day, I got some crutches and a wrap, and we had a family bday party to get to. My cousin, who is an ER nurse, takes one look at my ankle and says I didn't sprain it, it's broken. She bugs me for a while saying I need to go to urgent care. Who's got time for that?
I agreed to go on Sunday. Sure enough, she's right. I broke my fibula. I pissed about it, as this little thing really fucks up my life. I can't do my job (relies on driving), so I can't go to PT (for fucking up my lower back), I am crawling up and down the stairs, and dealing with 2 little kids is sucking. I have to depend on other people carting them around. My control freak self is going to lose it.

Wow, I’m really sorry. That sucks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-19, 07:51

Hogan's Heroes on Sundance til 9am, then MASH on TV Land
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-09-19, 08:07

Dendrobates wrote:So on Friday night, I slid down about 3 stairs. You know how socks can make you slip easily. But my left leg went down, when my right leg didn't. I turned my ankle pretty good, and I couldn't put any weight on it. The next day, I got some crutches and a wrap, and we had a family bday party to get to. My cousin, who is an ER nurse, takes one look at my ankle and says I didn't sprain it, it's broken. She bugs me for a while saying I need to go to urgent care. Who's got time for that?

Sorry to hear that, Dendro. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Stupid advice of the day: Don't stress about what you can't change.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-09-19, 08:29

You could always dump the kids off at grandma's for a few weeks, jk, broken legs suck, I remember hobbling around on mine for six weeks, not fun at all. On the plus side, the doctors usually prescribe something good for the pain.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-19, 08:43

Jake from State Farm wrote:

You could always dump the kids off at grandma's for a few weeks, jk, broken legs suck, I remember hobbling around on mine for six weeks, not fun at all. On the plus side, the doctors usually prescribe something good for the pain.

Or invite Grandma to come stay for a few weeks, that is what my kids do with my SO.

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-19, 15:38

The pain is fine, and they actually didn't prescribe me any. I don't need it though. I just can't walk on it, and I'd like to make it heal as fast as possible.

One grandparent helped all last week while I was out of town for work. The other grandparents are helping with what they can.
Seriously, how does anybody get by without that help? I've got neighbors helping with kid stuff too.
It makes my skin crawl asking for all this help.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-09-19, 16:28

Well that sucks Dendro. I hope you can find peace in this difficult time.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2022-09-19, 16:37

Dendrobates wrote:The pain is fine, and they actually didn't prescribe me any. I don't need it though. I just can't walk on it, and I'd like to make it heal as fast as possible.

One grandparent helped all last week while I was out of town for work. The other grandparents are helping with what they can.
Seriously, how does anybody get by without that help? I've got neighbors helping with kid stuff too.

Old school. That kind of assistance was the norm Growing up in my neighborhood, whenever there was an issue with a family (particularly if someone passed) everyone kicked in and the family didn't need to cook food for a week. Take the help and pay it back.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-09-19, 16:44

SawGreen wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:The pain is fine, and they actually didn't prescribe me any. I don't need it though. I just can't walk on it, and I'd like to make it heal as fast as possible.

Old school. That kind of assistance was the norm Growing up in my neighborhood, whenever there was an issue with a family (particularly if someone passed) everyone kicked in and the family didn't need to cook food for a week. Take the help and pay it back.

No need to kick in. I’m sure the family in need would’ve opened the door if someone had just knocked.

Random Ramblings - Page 2 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-19, 16:50

Motown Spartan wrote:Well that sucks Dendro. I hope you can find peace in this difficult time.

Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600 no one died, except my pride.
I'm just bitching cause I can.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2022-09-19, 16:51

nm
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-09-19, 17:50

Dendrobates wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Well that sucks Dendro. I hope you can find peace in this difficult time.

Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600 no one died, except my pride.
I'm just bitching cause I can.

Look had your tail bone broke you’d not like it one bit. Neither would nevets for at least 3-4 weeks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-19, 22:21

Feeling extremely burned out working on this quote for a month. Week or two to go. Praying for the end.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-20, 10:14

The Pantry wrote:Feeling extremely burned out working on this quote for a month. Week or two to go. Praying for the end.

When you're done with that, do they give you a new quote to work on right away? Do you get a bonus when you finish? Just curious how it works. I like different projects, so working on the same thing over and over would drive me crazy.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-09-20, 11:50

about to take nap #1 of the day.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-09-20, 11:53

The Pantry wrote:Feeling extremely burned out working on this quote for a month. Week or two to go. Praying for the end.

Hang in there, you got this
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-20, 18:27

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Feeling extremely burned out working on this quote for a month.  Week or two to go.  Praying for the end.  

When you're done with that, do they give you a new quote to work on right away? Do you get a bonus when you finish? Just curious how it works. I like different projects,  so working on the same thing over and over would drive me crazy.
Bonus?  Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600   I joke to co-workers that it's spelled, "Bone us".   We do get bonuses 1st qtr of the year but they're nothing significant. Our Chinese overlords are on top of that.

This quote is an oddity.  Rarely do new equipment/machine quotes take more than a couple weeks.  Never quoted anything this big and/or complicated.  Needed to get quotes from many vendors on big ticket items...still don't have numbers back from some of them even though lined-up weeks ago.  Currently guestimating this quote over $30M in the end.

Might take a long weekend when this is done.  Would like to quote engineering change requests for couple weeks after that.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-09-20, 19:22

The Pantry wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

When you're done with that, do they give you a new quote to work on right away? Do you get a bonus when you finish? Just curious how it works. I like different projects,  so working on the same thing over and over would drive me crazy.
Bonus?  Random Ramblings - Page 2 502811600   I joke to co-workers that it's spelled, "Bone us".   We do get bonuses 1st qtr of the year but they're nothing significant. Our Chinese overlords are on top of that.

This quote is an oddity.  Rarely do new equipment/machine quotes take more than a couple weeks.  Never quoted anything this big and/or complicated.  Needed to get quotes from many vendors on big ticket items...still don't have numbers back from some of them even though lined-up weeks ago.  Currently guestimating this quote over $30M in the end.

Might take a long weekend when this is done.  Would like to quote engineering change requests for couple weeks after that.

I got some for you if you get bored
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-20, 19:58

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

I got some for you if you get bored
ECRs are a piece of cake, even though our PMs often leave out a lot of information when writing them. Just have to pester them until they supply what you need. Goes faster if the client is pestering the PM for the quote.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-22, 20:46

Quote is due tomorrow by 3pm. Not sure who set the deadline but pretty sure it wasn't the client. Wasn't aware of it until 3pm today. Still a lot of work to do. Next 18 hours are gonna be hell. Hope I can get 4-5 hours of sleep.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-09-22, 21:39

Pantry needs a new job.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

The Pantry, Dendrobates and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-23, 19:22

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Pantry needs a new job.
Spent the last two days in a conference room with my boss reviewing the quote...in the running for worst couple days of my life.  Worked with him for 7 years, gotten used to his occasional tirades, and have learned how to talk him down. He's an okay guy most of the time but gets easily rattled when under pressure and becomes an insulting, non-productive, drama queen, asshole.

This quote has been a real PITA, much of it to do with the client's pricing spreadsheet which is insane the way they want things broken out.  In order to quote it the way they want had to adapt our quoting spreadsheet to it.  Only practical way to achieve that was to quote each station with a separate spreadsheet for each one.  Have about 30 individual spreadsheets with 30 tabs each.  Linked a summary tab from each back to theirs.  

Didn't get the quote done until 4pm.  Quote wasn't due.  Discovered the president set the 3pm deadline because he was anxious to get to his place in the northern LP (not Up North).  Sat in a meeting with him, business development (she's very sharp intellectually), and my boss afterward to review the numbers.  Pres didn't seem pissed he had to wait the extra hour, but his eyebrows raised a little when I told him the project will barely fit in our biggest building.  Actually went pretty well.  Quote came out just over $29M and inline with numbers from competitors, of which there are only two because 9 other companies no-quoted the project.

Thing that really makes this quote crazy is the client wants two identical lines built simulatneously for two different plants, neither of which are in the US.  Quote for the other location won't be complete until next week...different support dollars.

Sorry for the ramble.  Been driving my keyboard hard lately and haven't found the brake key yet.  See spreadsheets in my sleep. I'm fried. Gonna get drunk.

A new job would be fine with me if a short commute.  Current is only 5-6 miles one way.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-09-23, 20:55

The Pantry wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Pantry needs a new job.
Spent the last two days in a conference room with my boss reviewing the quote...in the running for worst couple days of my life.  Worked with him for 7 years, gotten used to his occasional tirades, and have learned how to talk him down. He's an okay guy most of the time but gets easily rattled when under pressure and becomes an insulting, non-productive, drama queen, asshole.

This quote has been a real PITA, much of it to do with the client's pricing spreadsheet which is insane the way they want things broken out.  In order to quote it the way they want had to adapt our quoting spreadsheet to it.  Only practical way to achieve that was to quote each station with a separate spreadsheet for each one.  Have about 30 individual spreadsheets with 30 tabs each.  Linked a summary tab from each back to theirs.  

Didn't get the quote done until 4pm.  Quote wasn't due.  Discovered the president set the 3pm deadline because he was anxious to get to his place in the northern LP (not Up North).  Sat in a meeting with him, business development (she's very sharp intellectually), and my boss afterward to review the numbers.  Pres didn't seem pissed he had to wait the extra hour, but his eyebrows raised a little when I told him the project will barely fit in our biggest building.  Actually went pretty well.  Quote came out just over $29M and inline with numbers from competitors, of which there are only two because 9 other companies no-quoted the project.

Thing that really makes this quote crazy is the client wants two identical lines built simulatneously for two different plants, neither of which are in the US.  Quote for the other location won't be complete until next week...different support dollars.

Sorry for the ramble.  Been driving my keyboard hard lately and haven't found the brake key yet.  See spreadsheets in my sleep. I'm fried. Gonna get drunk.

A new job would be fine with me if a short commute.  Current is only 5-6 miles one way.

That sounds like hell, but glad it went well!
The 30 spreadsheets thing would make me lose it.
I would say you've got some great examples to sell yourself for a raise or a new job!
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-23, 23:00

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

That sounds like hell, but glad it went well!
The 30 spreadsheets thing would make me lose it.
I would say you've got some great examples to sell yourself for a raise or a new job!

With all the effort I am hoping that you all get the job.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-09-25, 09:04

Monster Foodies is the best cooking show out there
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-28, 19:57

Aint over yet. Both quotes got submitted Monday. Buyer set this morning for a tech review...very little time to prepare a presentation. Meeting went well but the client/buyer supplied more information today, requiring us to have our vendors requote. Also wants a bunch of piddly shit stuff broken out separately. Pain in the ASS. Still haven't received any real product information.

"Fuck this client." Been thinking that since I started quoting this project. After this morning's meeting discovered others feel the same. We'll go thru the motions to provide them a requote. Unless a PO is provided after that, fuck them. Wasted too much time.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2022-09-28, 20:12

The Pantry wrote:Aint over yet. Both quotes got submitted Monday. Buyer set this morning for a tech review...very little time to prepare a presentation. Meeting went well but the client/buyer supplied more information today, requiring us to have our vendors requote. Also wants a bunch of piddly shit stuff broken out separately. Pain in the ASS. Still haven't received any real product information.

"Fuck this client." Been thinking that since I started quoting this project. After this morning's meeting discovered others feel the same. We'll go thru the motions to provide them a requote. Unless a PO is provided after that, fuck them. Wasted too much time.

Sounds like someone needs to decide to cut bait and let it fall through. I don't see the need to do anything other than provide a quote. A tech review should only happen for the team that is 95% chance of getting the quote. Otherwise you are just wasting people's time.

When I was doing consulting work my boss and I had a signal. When it was given the cost of the project would jump 50% to get us out of the running. It was only used a couple times a year, but man did it save us from becoming involved in some shitty projects.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2022-09-28, 20:19

I haven't had a haircut since at least January--maybe since before Christmas last year. My wife is amazing for putting up with this.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next