Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates

+21
Zurn
Jake from State Farm
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
Trapper Gus
The Pantry
sεяεηιτλ
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Dendrobates
StylesGShmooth
Turtleneck
Cameron
Rick Saunders
tGreenWay
NigelUno
Pervis Muldoon
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
RQA
Motown Spartan
25 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 Empty Re: Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates

Post by Zurn 2024-04-11, 08:28

Trapper Gus wrote:
Zurn wrote:

Post Biden, the average cost of a new car is $48,000.

Please bump the thread when the average cost of a new EV is $16,000

Somehow if that happens, I suspect that no bumping will be necessary.

Somehow if that happens???? You said it would. You said EVs would cost 1/3 that of ICEs.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 Empty Re: Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-11, 09:32

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Somehow if that happens, I suspect that no bumping will be necessary.

Somehow if that happens???? You said it would. You said EVs would cost 1/3 that of ICEs.

Very sure that $9k is less than 1/3 of $48k, maybe you can explain how that isn't true.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-04-12, 12:47

Trapper Gus wrote:
Zurn wrote:

Very sure that $9k is less than 1/3 of $48k, maybe you can explain how that isn't true.

Bump when my local Chevy dealer has a $9,000 sitting in the showroom next to a $48,000 Blazer.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-12, 16:05

Zurn wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Bump when my local Chevy dealer has a $9,000 sitting in the showroom next to a $48,000 Blazer.

If GM doesn't get their act together your local dealer may not be in business.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-15, 13:13

Tesla laying off over 10% of their workforce.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-04-15, 13:38

Tesla is laying off workers because their EV’s aren’t selling as many as projected.

But Tesla is no longer the power it was. Mercedes, Volvo, Audi, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, Subaru, VW, Ford and GM are all offering EV’s. They’re selling to EV buyers who no longer see Tesla as their only choice.

Tesla has been around long enough that a used/ pre-owned supply now exists. Folks buying another brand trade in their Teslas and all the leases are coming due.

EV’s don’t make sense for everyone because of charging locations, range and entry price.

Then there are the states like Louisiana , Texas and Oklahoma who are putting in high annual licensing fees and Wyoming is proposing an outright ban. All to protect the fossil fuel industry.

Still think Toyota and to a lesser extent Honda has read the market seeing transition to hybrid much more rapid than total EV.

Too bad folks fighting battery plants haven’t figured out hybrids use batteries too.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-15, 13:42

TravelinMan wrote:Tesla laying off over 10% of their workforce.
isn't that the dude that owns Twitter now? From what I heard, he bought it to keep people from making fun of him? Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 502811600

and because daddie didn't pay enough attention to him, he now fancies himself a rocket builder but then his little rockets blow up? Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-15, 13:43

do electric bikes make, like, a humming sound?

I think someone on an electric bike passed me the other day when I was walking down the Northern Tier Trail in East Lansing. It was humming, so I assumed it had some sort of electronic component to it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-15, 14:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:do electric bikes make, like, a humming sound?

I think someone on an electric bike passed me the other day when I was walking down the Northern Tier Trail in East Lansing. It was humming, so I assumed it had some sort of electronic component to it.

Mine doesn't, but maybe some do?
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-15, 14:30

TravelinMan wrote:

Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 2599972566

I should ask the Twitter guy.. he seems to know everything.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-16, 07:49

TravelinMan wrote:Tesla laying off over 10% of their workforce.  

Energy giant BP has also cut over a tenth of the workforce in its EV charging business after a bet on rapid growth in commercial EV fleets didn't pay off, Reuters reported on Monday, underscoring the broader impact of slowing EV demand.

Car bean counters are really bad at predicting their markets.  In this case somehow, they thought the demand for EV's priced at luxury vehicle price levels would increase forever.  GM, for "reasons", shut down their highest sales volume EV which was priced in the 25k to 35k price range.  Maybe smart from a technology POV, "newer battery pack" in replacement vehicle, which isn't for sale yet, but drops EV sales and all the punters on the markets go "Oh!".

EV vehicle fleet percentage is still increasing, FWIW.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-16, 07:54

TravelinMan wrote:

Probably a good thing.

EV's "hum" due to the inverters vibrating as they "chop" the DC voltage into AC voltage. In cars these voltages are either around 400V or 800V and are carried in cables which are designed for this. E-bikes use lower voltages (and currents), so their switchers, if they have any, are at much lower power.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-04-16, 09:35

If your interested you can go on Hertz website and buy a 22’ Tesla Model 3 for 24K
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-16, 09:39

kingstonlake wrote:If your interested you can go on Hertz website and buy a 22’ Tesla Model 3 for 24K

That must be the extended wheel base edition?
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon and Zurn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-16, 09:43

TravelinMan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:If your interested you can go on Hertz website and buy a 22’ Tesla Model 3 for 24K

Sounds like a pretty good deal if you are looking for an EV.

While this is just one fleet buy and then sale, it would be interesting to know how fleet sales have been for Tesla recently and in years past.  Before Tesla didn't have a used Tesla market to contend with.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-04-16, 12:28

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good deal if you are looking for an EV.

While this is just one fleet buy and then sale, it would be interesting to know how fleet sales have been for Tesla recently and in years past.  Before Tesla didn't have a used Tesla market to contend with.

Hertz is selling all their Teslas….

They took a bath on that venture.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-16, 13:38

https://cleantechnica.com/2024/03/01/byd-dolphin-mini-rolling-in-mexico-cheapest-electric-car-by-far/

$23k for over 200 miles of range.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-16, 14:12

Trapper Gus wrote:https://cleantechnica.com/2024/03/01/byd-dolphin-mini-rolling-in-mexico-cheapest-electric-car-by-far/

$23k for over 200 miles of range.

A brand new off the showroom floor complete with warranty Honda Civic will provide double that range for the same price.

Also, I hate it when people miss great punctuation jokes.  You guys all suck.

Edit: OK, a couple people got it. Thank you. Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 502811600
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-16, 18:51

Minimum is $23 995, maximum is $32k, so no, comparing a low end Civic with the high end EV isn't apples to apples...and doesn't account for the increase to insurance due to global warming.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-16, 20:26

Trapper Gus wrote:Minimum is $23 995, maximum is $32k, so no, comparing a low end Civic with the high end EV isn't apples to apples...and doesn't account for the increase to insurance due to global warming.

Increase in insurance due to global warming? Can you expand on that one? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

and if you think that Chinese POS is nicer than a base Honda,, you’re insane.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-17, 10:47

Looks like people don’t want to buy Chinese EVs, either.

https://jalopnik.com/unsold-chinese-evs-are-piling-up-at-ports-1851415290
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-17, 10:49

TravelinMan wrote:Looks like people don’t want to buy Chinese EVs, either.

Basic problem is no trucks to ship them with and no dealers to ship them to, so a very poor business plan.  Hard to tell if people want them when they cannot buy them.

Come on TM, I think you are smart enough to know you are posting transient malarky right now.

EV's and now China's lead in development, which Joe Biden et al are working to provide the IP for the US companies to overcome, are all part of a massive disruption to first the automobile industry and then the global economy.  All sorts of snafus will show up as we go along, none of which are going to stop the train which has already left the station.

Not many people are seeing, yet, how huge this disruption is going to be, but think about it.  Gas stations are obsolete, so are oil refineries, so is the global oil transportation industry, and the oil drillers.  I would have to look it up to be sure however that is a significant percentage of GDP.

If you really want to worry, then add in the global warming factor.  Insurance is going up on almost everything because the weather is becoming more destructive.  It may make the disruptions in the energy sector look like small potatoes.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/11/climate-desk-fact-checks-aaron-sorkins-climate-science-newsroom/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-17, 11:40

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:Looks like people don’t want to buy Chinese EVs, either.

Basic problem is no trucks to ship them with and no dealers to ship them to, so a very poor business plan.  Hard to tell if people want them when they cannot buy them.

Come on TM, I think you are smart enough to know you are posting transient malarky right now.

EV's and now China's lead in development, which Joe Biden et al are working to provide the IP for the US companies to overcome, are all part of a massive disruption to first the automobile industry and then the global economy.  All sorts of snafus will show up as we go along, none of which are going to stop the train which has already left the station.

Not many people are seeing, yet, how huge this disruption is going to be, but think about it.  Gas stations are obsolete, so are oil refineries, so is the global oil transportation industry, and the oil drillers.  I would have to look it up to be sure however that is a significant percentage of GDP.

If you really want to worry, then add in the global warming factor.  Insurance is going up on almost everything because the weather is becoming more destructive.  It may make the disruptions in the energy sector look like small potatoes.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/11/climate-desk-fact-checks-aaron-sorkins-climate-science-newsroom/

Yeah, and Dippin' Dots are the future of ice cream, too. Bump this in 6 years and let's see how things are.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-17, 11:51

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Yeah, and Dippin' Dots are the future of ice cream, too. Bump this in 6 years and let's see how things are.

We, you and I, have been following this for years, long enough for you to not to put down markers that will easily be passed.

https://thedriven.io/2024/04/14/the-anti-ev-brigade-are-pushing-plug-in-hybrids-but-electric-is-still-the-future/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-17, 12:04

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

We, you and I, have been following this for years, long enough for you to not to put down markers that will easily be passed.

https://thedriven.io/2024/04/14/the-anti-ev-brigade-are-pushing-plug-in-hybrids-but-electric-is-still-the-future/

We'll see. Right now, EVs are great for Point A to Point A travel, where you can charge them at home overnight. With housing ever further out of reach for the average American, and public recharging infrastructure being a joke, there are some significant hurdles to clear for EVs to even be viable for 50% of the population, let alone the numbers the government would like to see. The next 5-6 years will be a critical time for EV fanbois.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-17, 12:21

could I sell my Bitcoins and by an EV?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-17, 12:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:could I sell my Bitcoins and by an EV?

Bitcoin is bad for the environment, Bob. Why do you hate trees and clean water, Bob?
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-17, 12:30

TravelinMan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:could I sell my Bitcoins and by an EV?

Bitcoin is bad for the environment, Bob. Why do you hate trees and clean water, Bob?
I truly have no idea what a "Bitcoin" is.

I don't know much about anything, and the things I do know a lot about are few. Very few. And of little interest to anyone here.

which is kinda cool.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-17, 12:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

I truly have no idea what a "Bitcoin" is.

I don't know much about anything, and the things I do know a lot about are few. Very few. And of little interest to anyone here.

which is kinda cool.

1. Not working hard
2. Mountain bikes
3. ????
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-04-17, 12:47

Since when is it hard to find an EV for sale?

I just upgraded my EV rental to an ICE vehicle. The charging infrastructure isn’t there. It’s very hit and miss. Most stations have multiple out of service notices. Tesla chargers are routinely not available. You have to “book” a time. Yeah, I’ll pass.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-04-17, 13:02

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Probably a good thing.

EV's "hum" due to the inverters vibrating as they "chop" the DC voltage into AC voltage. In cars these voltages are either around 400V or 800V and are carried in cables which are designed for this. E-bikes use lower voltages (and currents), so their switchers, if they have any, are at much lower power.

My bike (Voltbike) is running at 48 volts. I can hear some humming but not very much
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-17, 13:53

TravelinMan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I truly have no idea what a "Bitcoin" is.

which is kinda cool.

1. Not working hard
2. Mountain bikes
3. ????
Running
Springsteen
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-17, 16:36

kingstonlake wrote:Since when is it hard to find an EV for sale?

I just upgraded my EV rental to an ICE vehicle. The charging infrastructure isn’t there. It’s very hit and miss. Most stations have multiple out of service notices. Tesla chargers are routinely not available. You have to “book” a time. Yeah, I’ll pass.

Charging infrastructure is probably the "leg" of EV's that is the least developed, however the big 3 are all investing in improving it as are a least 2 or 3 players with cash.  Also the company's are hearing the issues about out of order chargers loud and clear and are taking corrective actions.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-17, 17:58

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Since when is it hard to find an EV for sale?

Charging infrastructure is probably the "leg" of EV's that is the least developed, however the big 3 are all investing in improving it as are a least 2 or 3 players with cash.  Also the company's are hearing the issues about out of order chargers loud and clear and are taking corrective actions.

Yep batteries are being worked on. Charging is being worked on. Price is being worked on. Range is being worked on. But EVs are great and everyone should drive one. Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 502811600
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-17, 18:21

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Yep batteries are being worked on.  Charging is being worked on.  Price is being worked on.  Range is being worked on.  But EVs are great and everyone should drive one.  Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 502811600

Everyone will be driving one, as the techology is better than ICE tech, how long it will take is really the only question.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-18, 07:33

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Yep batteries are being worked on.  Charging is being worked on.  Price is being worked on.  Range is being worked on.  But EVs are great and everyone should drive one.  Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 502811600

Everyone will be driving one, as the techology is better than ICE tech, how long it will take is really the only question.

The technology is NOT better. It may someday be so, but it most certainly isn’t today.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-04-18, 08:29

TravelinMan wrote:

Yep batteries are being worked on. Charging is being worked on. Price is being worked on. Range is being worked on. But EVs are great and everyone should drive one. Electric Vehicles - Information & Updates - Page 17 502811600

Over on the main board Bob said his wife has a new ride. Wonder if it's a union made EV?
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-18, 08:31

Zurn wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Over on the main board Bob said his wife has a new ride.   Wonder if it's a union made EV?
it is not.

you know why?

because in our house, I respect a woman's right to make her own decisions. I know that's weird for you.

tell your friends at church I said "hello".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-18, 08:49

Zurn wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Over on the main board Bob said his wife has a new ride. Wonder if it's a union made EV?

As long as it jams Springsteen on the entertainment system, Bob doesn't care.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-18, 08:52

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

The technology is NOT better. It may someday be so, but it most certainly isn’t today.

Oh no, the tech is better, always has been. ICE's which waste 70% plus of the energy input has always been a poor technology.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next