Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

+18
Motown Spartan
The Pantry
Jake from State Farm
Travis of the Cosmos
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
InTenSity
Cameron
Zurn
Rick Saunders
aualum06
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
NigelUno
duffy munn
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
22 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 12 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-15, 15:49

19/20. It's soda!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 12 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-15, 16:10

19/20 --- never been deer hunting

and yes, "Up North" is a state of mind
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-01-15, 16:12

16/20. People are under suspicion if using the word soda.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-01-15, 16:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:The community water tower in DeWitt?

Was recently in Ovid. That is definitely Up North.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-01-15, 17:58

Rick Saunders wrote:~14. Don't say pop anymore, so I took a zero there.

Wasn't it Billy Joel who said up north is a state of mind?

Same here, pop just doesn't sound right to me any longer. 17-20
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-15, 20:04

19, don't recall ever finding the Petoskey.
How about:
Caught a trout on the Au Sable
Visited Hemingway's Walloon Lake
Visited >5 breweries in a summer
Ice Fishing on Saginaw Bay
Sat behind a pole to watch a baseball game
Tubed Ludington state park to Lake Michigan

This could go on forever... OK, forget it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Floyd Robertson, Turtleneck and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-01-15, 23:30

AvgMSUJoe wrote:19, don't recall ever finding the Petoskey.
How about:
Caught a trout on the Au Sable
Visited Hemingway's Walloon Lake
Visited >5 breweries in a summer
Ice Fishing on Saginaw Bay
Sat behind a pole to watch a baseball game
Tubed Ludington state park to Lake Michigan

This could go on forever... OK, forget it.

Those are advanced level Michigander.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-16, 10:27

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:The community water tower in DeWitt?

I'm up at Sleepy Hollow State Park some - running, mountain biking or just hiking, etc. While in the neighborhood, I've gone over to Tom's Western Store in Ovid afterwards just to kill time.

Definitely feels like I stepped back in time about 30 years. Or more.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-16, 14:21

Ovid is thumby
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-16, 14:28

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Ovid is thumby
one of the better high school cross-country runners in Michigan the last few decades is from Ovid.. Maverick Darling.

my guess is, if your name is "Maverick Darling" and you live in Ovid, you'd better be able to run fast.

anyway.. good kid - went to Wisconsin where he was a multiple time All-American. Pretty sure someone told me that he's coaching at a fairly high level in college nowadays.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-01-16, 14:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I'm up at Sleepy Hollow State Park some - running, mountain biking or just hiking, etc. While in the neighborhood, I've gone over to Tom's Western Store in Ovid afterwards just to kill time.

Don't be alarmed if you see a sasquatch in Sleepy Hollow. That is just me.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-01-16, 14:33

Very

IMO the thumb is more up northy than up north
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-16, 14:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
one of the better high school cross-country runners in Michigan the last few decades is from Ovid.. Maverick Darling.

my guess is, if your name is "Maverick Darling" and you live in Ovid, you'd better be able to run fast.

anyway.. good kid - went to Wisconsin where he was a multiple time All-American. Pretty sure someone told me that he's coaching at a fairly high level in college nowadays.
Seems like one of the XC superstars from Corunna (jacobs) went to Wisconsin too. The one guy from Owosso that was good went to Um Dearborn to start and got pulled to Um Ann Arbor for the end of his career.

All the kids are name Maverick or Rugar or Hunter in Ovid. Anything related to guns or machismo. Makes for a lame Broadway Revue at the high school.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-01-16, 14:41

Nordic wrote:

Very

IMO the thumb is more up northy than up north
More down southy than up north to me.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-01-16, 21:03

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I'm up at Sleepy Hollow State Park some - running, mountain biking or just hiking, etc. While in the neighborhood, I've gone over to Tom's Western Store in Ovid afterwards just to kill time.

Don't be alarmed if you see a sasquatch in Sleepy Hollow. That is just me.

I always figured you for a Yeti rather than a squatch, Nordic
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-01-17, 10:33

Amazon set to build 42,500 square-foot distribution center in Gaylord

I don't think "up north" is ever going to be the same

“When Amazon comes to town, it means a lot of new jobs and a lot of new money going into our local economy,” Borton said. “We’re talking about a huge facility employing lots of people. But it isn’t just the jobs. The folks working there will have to buy homes. Then they’ll send their kids to our schools. They’ll shop at our grocery stores and dine at local restaurants. The more you think about how much projects like this add to our community, the more excited you get.”

Right, and I like how there will be no negative impact.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-17, 11:41

Floyd Robertson wrote:Amazon set to build 42,500 square-foot distribution center in Gaylord

I don't think "up north" is ever going to be the same

“When Amazon comes to town, it means a lot of new jobs and a lot of new money going into our local economy,” Borton said. “We’re talking about a huge facility employing lots of people. But it isn’t just the jobs. The folks working there will have to buy homes. Then they’ll send their kids to our schools. They’ll shop at our grocery stores and dine at local restaurants. The more you think about how much projects like this add to our community, the more excited you get.”

Right, and I like how there will be no negative impact.

Gaylord hasn't really been "up north" for years.

It has been more like a Detroit suburb traffic wise with it being at the crossroads of two of the major highways in the "Up north."

When I was a kid, before I-75 reached Gaylord, it was "up north"

As noted in this article, there already is a FedEx warehouse in Gaylord, and someone is building a big werehousy thing next to Mijers.

https://www.petoskeynews.com/story/news/local/gaylord/2024/01/13/amazon-to-build-distribution-center-in-gaylord-industrial-park/72203405007/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-17, 12:51

the Hot Tub House rental place in north Lansing?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-02-09, 16:53

Is there an implied difference between Northern Michigan and Up North, or are they taken to reference the same thing? And is that the UP or everything north of Alpena to Charlevoix?

Popular Michigan state park to close for 10 months starting this fall
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan/2024/02/08/popular-michigan-state-park-to-close-for-10-months-starting-this-fall/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-09, 18:06

Turtleneck wrote:Is there an implied difference between Northern Michigan and Up North, or are they taken to reference the same thing? And is that the UP or everything north of Alpena to Charlevoix?

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan/2024/02/08/popular-michigan-state-park-to-close-for-10-months-starting-this-fall/
wow!  The entire park?  They must be doing other stuff.  Maintenance on the dam?  

Most popular, most difficult SP to get a reservation at.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-02-10, 19:14

The Pantry wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Is there an implied difference between Northern Michigan and Up North, or are they taken to reference the same thing? And is that the UP or everything north of Alpena to Charlevoix?

wow!  The entire park?  They must be doing other stuff.  Maintenance on the dam?  

Probably going to run new electric lines to every site and upgrade some sites to drive through. The behemoths people use for camping nowadays with their 70 inch TV's and everything else that consume as much energy as a small house are wreaking havoc on outdated electrical systems in the parks.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-02-10, 19:31

The zilwaukee 

In most places north of the zilwaukee casual racism is acceptable and in some places even encouraged. In most places south it is frowned upon. This is your dividing line between up north and not up north.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-10, 19:33

The Pantry wrote:

Ludington is super popular due to its longstanding ties to Dwags.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-02-10, 19:34

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The zilwaukee 

In most places north of the zilwaukee casual racism is acceptable and in some places even encouraged. In most places south it is frowned upon. This is your dividing line between up north and not up north.

UM fans with GEDs populate communities both north and south of that bridge so that can’t be right.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-10, 20:17

As a native Bay Citian, i say fuck you good sir....
Much of the thumb is south of zilwakee if we are talking racism. Hell, much of macomb county...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-02-10, 20:53

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Much of the thumb is south of zilwakee if we are talking racism. Hell, much of macomb county...
is there generalizing in there, you betcha. Is part of the thumb up north? Why not. If they have lakes and are going to look at a minority with a bit of a side eye, then that’s up north enough in my book
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-11, 12:35

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

A bunch of the Essexvillians seemed to think Caseville was up north in the 1960's & 70's.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-02-11, 15:14

Livingston County is 100% south of Zilwaukee and known for a history of overt racism.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-02-11, 15:50

Motown Spartan wrote:Livingston County is 100% south of Zilwaukee and known for a history of overt racism.

Probably has just a little bit to do with it's history of the Ku Klux Klan and the Grand Dragon and his cross burnings and a KKK memorabilia auction on MLK Day in Howell and nearby.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-14, 11:35

Moar Bears!

Michigan’s black bear population is on the rise – and this year’s mild winter could result in higher cub survival rates, giving the species a bump, officials said.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-15, 14:48

Dude goes four-wheelin’ up north. Falls through the ice.

Crews use airboat after 4-wheeler goes through Lake Michigan ice in U.P.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-15, 15:08

Fuck ice. No idea why people chance it. Watched ice road truckers a couple times and had to stop.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-02-15, 16:23

Nordic wrote:Dude goes four-wheelin’ up north. Falls through the ice.

Crews use airboat after 4-wheeler goes through Lake Michigan ice in U.P.

Every fucking year.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-16, 12:33

Probably wherever this is

[ig]C3aqgW_RnXi[/ig]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-27, 07:50

Up North makes the list

The least visited national parks in the United States in 2023
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-27, 08:42

Nordic wrote:Up North makes the list

TBF, it's on the list every year.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-27, 08:42

I’ve been to Dry Tortugas. Saw more clown fish and hermit crabs than birds.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-27, 08:47

Climate change is erasing Michigan winters, taking our heritage with them

MARQUETTE — Most snowmobile trails aren’t groomed until there’s at least 8 inches of snow on the ground. It’s 6 inches for a cross-country ski trail.

Walking on a frozen lake requires 4 inches of clear ice. And it’s hard to control a dogsled when daily thaws turn the trail into a sheet of ice.
For generations, Michiganders didn’t need to pay much attention to those limits. Our winters are known for being consistently — sometimes maddeningly — long, cold and snowy. 

Or at least, they were.

“Everybody always says, ‘Oh, there's next year,’” said Jacob Piper, 23, of East China. But after the latest in a string of miserable ice fishing seasons, he has drawn a different conclusion: “Climate change is here. It’s happening. And it sucks.”
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-27, 08:49

I see that the boundary waters in MN are on that list, which brings up the point that both IR and BW are restricted access, one of the reasons they are less visited.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-03-05, 14:03

Great Lakes cruising expected to bring $200M, 20,000 passengers to region in 2024

Not strictly an "up north" article, but the cruise ships do get up there. I seen 'em parked off Mackinac Island in 2022. Quite an oddity in my mind.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next