Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

+18
Motown Spartan
The Pantry
Jake from State Farm
Travis of the Cosmos
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
InTenSity
Cameron
Zurn
Rick Saunders
aualum06
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
NigelUno
duffy munn
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
22 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 13 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by Motown Spartan Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:13

Floyd Robertson wrote:Great Lakes cruising expected to bring $200M, 20,000 passengers to region in 2024

Not strictly an "up north" article, but the cruise ships do get up there. I seen 'em parked off Mackinac Island in 2022. Quite an oddity in my mind.

I seen em parked in the harbor right outside my office!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 13 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:23

Motown Spartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Great Lakes cruising expected to bring $200M, 20,000 passengers to region in 2024

Not strictly an "up north" article, but the cruise ships do get up there. I seen 'em parked off Mackinac Island in 2022. Quite an oddity in my mind.

I seen em parked in the harbor right outside my office!!

Nice view!
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:29

The Octantis showed up here last May to kick off the season.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 13 Img_2010

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Floyd Robertson and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:36

So each of those 20,000 passengers is spending $10K? Seems a little optomistic.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:39

I'd do it. Sounds fun. Stops at Bay City, Augres, Oscoda all the way up to the island.

Wonder if Caribbean Islanders think the same thing?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:46

Some of my best memories are sailing and power boating from port Huron and bay city to Mackinac. Spending a week on mackinaw docked. Damn there was a ton of drinking that took place, lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:51

kingstonlake wrote:Some of my best memories are sailing and power boating from port Huron and bay city to Mackinac. Spending a week on mackinaw docked. Damn there was a ton of drinking that took place, lol.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 13 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5vnt3yx0s68y17w5poulrng4y3ypxg4xxds1tlwsv&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:53

The Pantry wrote:

So each of those 20,000 passengers is spending $10K? Seems a little optomistic.

Hotels in the area? Gas? Restaurants? Jobs on ship and in dock areas? I have no idea how they calculate this shit, but I think that is some of it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 14:55

Floyd Robertson wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Some of my best memories are sailing and power boating from port Huron and bay city to Mackinac. Spending a week on mackinaw docked. Damn there was a ton of drinking that took place, lol.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 13 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5vnt3yx0s68y17w5poulrng4y3ypxg4xxds1tlwsv&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200

I have pictures but they’re to embarrassing to post.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 18:20

kingstonlake wrote:The Octantis showed up here last May to kick off the season.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 13 Img_2010

Looks midway between giant ocean cruisers and the dinky European river boats. Kinda like it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 18:49

Spagnuolo's convenience store in Bath?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 18:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Bath?

Hell? Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 13 2599972566
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 19:05

The Pantry wrote:

could be.. I ain't been there, either.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 19:48

You are not a true midmichigander if you've never been to Bath, Bob. Turn in your card.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 19:54

duffy munn wrote:You are not a true midmichigander if you've never been to Bath, Bob. Turn in your card.
oh, I've been to Bath.

I rode by the Spagnuolo's at the one corner just Sunday morning. That's why I figured it was as good of a start to "Up North" as anywhere else. I was referring to Hell to Pantry.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 20:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:You are not a true midmichigander if you've never been to Bath, Bob. Turn in your card.
oh, I've been to Bath.

I rode by the Spagnuolo's at the one corner just Sunday morning. That's why I figured it was as good of a start to "Up North" as anywhere else. I was referring to Hell to Pantry.

Abbot's general store in Bath, across from the deep freeze and the grain elevator, next to the train tracks, is Bath.  You Jonny come lates haven't got a clue.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 20:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
oh, I've been to Bath.

Ok you're back in. Sorry I yelled at you Bob.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue 5 Mar 2024 - 21:00

The Pantry wrote:

That’s actually much closer to Ann Arbor.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 0:15

Anyone know if Hell ever got sold? I know it was for sale a few years ago for less than $1m. I remember somebody bought the rights to Hell for a few days and renamed it Gay Hell. Haven’t heard much lately except when it freezes in Hell.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 5:45

tGreenWay wrote:Anyone know if Hell ever got sold? I know it was for sale a few years ago for less than $1m. I remember somebody bought the rights to Hell for a few days and renamed it Gay Hell. Haven’t heard much lately except when it freezes in Hell.

They sold it to the Devil, in a meeting down at the crossroads.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 8:24

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
oh, I've been to Bath.

Ok you're back in. Sorry I yelled at you Bob.
no worries, dude.

I've stopped in that Spagnuolo's before to refill water bottles. They always look at me kinda weird, which is cool - I'm probably looking at them kinda weird, as well.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 9:46

tGreenWay wrote:Anyone know if Hell ever got sold? I know it was for sale a few years ago for less than $1m. I remember somebody bought the rights to Hell for a few days and renamed it Gay Hell. Haven’t heard much lately except when it freezes in Hell.

Hell runs a promotion where you can buy the right to be mayor for a day, or a week, or something like that. They also sell a square inch of property so the person is a resident.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 12:11

Hell if I know
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 7:15

Rural northern Michigan again saw modest growth and remain a bright spot

Overall, Michigan added nearly 4,000 residents in 2023 as the population inched to 10,037,261

West Michigan, especially Ottawa and Kent counties, lead the state in overall population gains

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/northern-michigan-after-years-struggle-gaining-residents-again
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 7:24

So is this "Up North" or "Out West"

The state of Michigan has agreed to spend $50 million to support a plan for a new copper mine near the shore of Lake Superior — despite disagreements on whether the economic benefits are worth the environmental risks.

After hearing dozens of speakers and two committee reports during the Michigan Strategic Fund meeting in Lansing, the board voted without comment to allocate $50 million toward the Copperwood mine planned by the Highland Copper Co. in the far western reaches of the Upper Peninsula about five hours west of the Mackinac Bridge.

https://www.bridgemi.com/business-watch/michigan-approves-50m-upper-peninsula-copper-mine-conditions

Hoarce Greenly in his famous quote "Go west young man" was referring to the copper mining region of upper Michigan.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 10:53

the Knob Hill Tavern on old 27 just south of St Johns?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 11:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the Knob Hill Tavern on old 27 just south of St Johns?

I don’t think you can use the word south when describing up north.

Please try again. Eliminate “south”.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 11:13

One of Jingles accounts and he's from St Johns originally, so yes
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 27 Mar 2024 - 12:07

duffy munn wrote:

One of Jingles accounts and he's from St Johns originally, so yes
I happened to drive by that place the other day and it looked like the kind of place where they search you at the door and if you don't have a knife or a gun, they'll give you one.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 12 Apr 2024 - 10:38

Ludington?? This is barely north of Mt. Pleasant! We need to flood the comments section…

LUDINGTON, MI – This Up North town nestled along the shore of Lake Michigan is the winner of USA Today’s 10Best reader’s choice award for “Best Historic Small Town.”

https://www.mlive.com/news/2024/04/northern-michigan-beach-town-wins-usa-todays-10best-best-historic-small-town.html?outputType=amp
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 12 Apr 2024 - 10:42

Nordic wrote:Ludington?? This is barely north of Mt. Pleasant! We need to flood the comments section…

LUDINGTON, MI – This Up North town nestled along the shore of Lake Michigan is the winner of USA Today’s 10Best reader’s choice award for “Best Historic Small Town.”

https://www.mlive.com/news/2024/04/northern-michigan-beach-town-wins-usa-todays-10best-best-historic-small-town.html?outputType=amp

If you take the county roads out of town. Jebavy to quarterline, to county line to Maple then go by the high school, turn on 5th st. and then right on Pine, you can get to my moms house in about 25 minutes. Its' not a palace but you won't leave there hungry. I promise you. That's my upnorth brother.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 12 Apr 2024 - 10:51

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:Ludington?? This is barely north of Mt. Pleasant! We need to flood the comments section…

If you take the county roads out of town. Jebavy to quarterline, to county line to Maple then go by the high school, turn on 5th st. and then right on Pine, you can get to my moms house in about 25 minutes. Its' not a palace but you won't leave there hungry. I promise you. That's my upnorth brother.

We need her pasty recipe before we can start.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13