Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School me on Windows tablets

+5
SeeRockCity
Munn Field
Floyd Robertson
LoneWolfSparty
WhiteBoyHatcher
9 posters

Go down

School me on Windows tablets Empty School me on Windows tablets

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 08:06

I broke the screen on my laptop. It is a HP that I bought in 2010. i5 2.4 GHz, Win 7, 6 GB RAM 640 GB HD. I use it for internet browsing, work often as my work laptop is the size of a Commodore 64 (Outlook, sometimes advanced Excel, Word, Ppt, MS Project). I use CS5 on it for Photoshop. And that's about it. Can a tablet adequately do all of these things efficiently, or will I be better off going with another laptop? Small is key.

And I would rather dip my scrotum in hydrochloric acid than buy a Mac, so that's out.

Oh, also, I've looked into replacing the screen on the laptop and decided that would be too much of a hassle. The laptop was also experiencing some other issues and I'm ready to move on.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

School me on Windows tablets Empty Re: School me on Windows tablets

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 08:43

Look at the MS Surface Pro 2.

Pretty much the best tablet on the market. i5 processor and full version of windows. Nothing that machine won't do.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 09:17

LoneWolfSparty wrote:Look at the MS Surface Pro 2.

Pretty much the best tablet on the market. i5 processor and full version of windows. Nothing that machine won't do.

Hmm. I'm not so sure about running CS5 on that though. It seems like a resource hog on my laptop. Any of you techies think it would work?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 09:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Hmm. I'm not so sure about running CS5 on that though. It seems like a resource hog on my laptop. Any of you techies think it would work?

Not sure about CS5, but it runs Visual Studio without a problem.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 09:27

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Per the Adobe website. So maybe not? Or are the processors efficient enough despite being < 2 GHz? Also the display - why would that matter? Sorry, not really a techie.

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor (2 GHz or faster)
Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 *
1 GB of RAM
2.5 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with OpenGL® 2.0, 16-bit color, and 512 MB of VRAM (1 GB recommended)**
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 09:29

No that will run fine on a Surface Pro.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-05-02, 09:29

An interesting comparison I saw yesterday about Surface Pro 2 and Mac Air.  Not altogether apples to apples, but interesting.

2014 MacBook Air vs. Microsoft Surface Pro 2
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 09:34

Hmm, I might just go buy one of these things at lunch. Thanks, Bee.

Floyd you have any thoughts? You are a computer guy, right?

Also, what do these tabs do in terms of discs? They don't have DVD-Rs, do they? Is the idea that I shouldn't need that for anything? Any software I should be able to get online, etc? What if the little shit wants to watch a Scooby Doo DVD?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 09:36

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Hmm, I might just go buy one of these things at lunch. Thanks, Bee.

Also, what do these tabs do in terms of discs? They don't have DVD-Rs, do they? Is the idea that I shouldn't need that for anything? Any software I should be able to get online, etc? What if the little shit wants to watch a Scooby Doo DVD?

Get an external USB drive. You can get some pretty small ones unless you want to burn discs. Those are pretty cheap these days.

Also, I would recommend either the premium keyboard cover. For home get a bluetooth wireless kb and mouse.

LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 09:40

Do the keyboards have a touchpad and buttons like a regular laptop? I prefer that to a mouse.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 09:43

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Do the keyboards have a touchpad and buttons like a regular laptop? I prefer that to a mouse.

yes. Though you are literally the first person I've ever heard that liked a touchpad.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-05-02, 09:51

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

The Surface Pro 2 has one USB port, so you'd be able to hook a USB DVD burner to it. Also, find a copy of DVD Shrink (free, but not easy to find) and rip the DVDs to ISO file, then transfer the ISO file to the Surface or upload it to One Drive. Mount ISO and watch.

I go through these phases where I want to replace my 17" laptop with a Surface, I haven't taken the plunge yet. I have a hard time seeing myself working in Visual Studio and SQL Server all day long on a 10.6" screen and a small keyboard, which I know that I'd want to do if spent $900 on one.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 09:52

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

yes. Though you are literally the first person I've ever heard that liked a touchpad.

School me on Windows tablets 502811600 This is true.

Looks like I'm currently using about 320 GB of RAM on my laptop. Yikes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 11:33

Anyone else have any insight into these things or anything else?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Munn Field 2014-05-02, 11:36

I have the Surface 2 (standard, not the pro) and I really like it. The pro is essentially a laptop in tablet form. It is program based (as opposed to app based like the standard surface and basically all tablets) and made to be able to do whatever a laptop can do.
Munn Field
Munn Field
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-02, 12:22

I have a Nokia 2520 which is WindowsRT, someone I know has an ASUS transformer which is full windows. Both are nice, but I wouldn't want to run photoshop on either. Too small and keyboards are not very ergonomic.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-02, 12:23

LoneWolfSparty wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

No way I could do any serious work in Studio on one of those contraptions.  School me on Windows tablets 502811600 
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 14:39

Now posting from my Surface Pro 2. Can you say impulsive?

How do I scroll/drag when using the touchpad?

This Windows 8 shit is going to take some getting used to. Why won't it let me change from DC Weather on my home screen? Stupid app. What happened to the good old fashioned "right click" --> settings?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 15:06

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Now posting from my Surface Pro 2. Can you say impulsive?

This Windows 8 shit is going to take some getting used to. Why won't it let me change from DC Weather on my home screen? Stupid app. What happened to the good old fashioned "right click" --> settings?

I think you just flick the direction you want to scroll.

App should allow you to setup the location you want to display.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 15:19

Yup. I got it now. This thing is kinda bad ass. Yeah, the keyboard is a bit easy to fat finger. Liking it thus far. LWS, any reccos for that bluetoof mouse?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 15:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yup. I got it now. This thing is kinda bad ass. Yeah, the keyboard is a bit easy to fat finger. Liking it thus far. LWS, any reccos for that bluetoof mouse?

I am partial to the Microsoft wedge because it clicks flat for easily slipping into a case. However, you have to use a dongle for that. I would find one that just connects right to the bluetooth without a dongle.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-05-02, 15:49

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Now posting from my Surface Pro 2. Can you say impulsive?

But, but, but, that is a Windows device and it should have taken you three days to figure out to how use it  Shocked 
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSUManiac13 2014-05-02, 16:16

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

I am partial to the Microsoft wedge because it clicks flat for easily slipping into a case. However, you have to use a dongle for that. I would find one that just connects right to the bluetooth without a dongle.

1. I have a Surface Pro & have extensive experience on the RT & Surface 2. I got the Surface Pro as a gift over the summer & I couldn't tell you the last time I used it. The thing is just way too heavy & battery life sucks. I think the RT is WAY better than the Pro just based on form factor. I really like the regular surface.

2. I would have gone with an ultra book instead.

3. I had the wedge mouse for all of 3 hours before I had to return it. Form factor was incredibly uncomfortable, the touch scrolling didn't work well, and it constantly lost connection to my Surface.

4. I like the touch cover more than type cover. Less fat fingering.

5. I think 8 is pretty bad but 8.1 is really solid. Search is the shit on it.
MSUManiac13
MSUManiac13
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSUManiac13 2014-05-02, 16:18

gHost Spartan wrote:My office gave me the top of the line Surface and it weighs 18 pounds and sucks. I seriously hate it.

Yup. The regular Surface is the way to go. It's too bad the OP needs photoshop or it would be a no brainer to get that instead.
MSUManiac13
MSUManiac13
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 16:22

MSUManiac13 wrote:

1. I have a Surface Pro & have extensive experience on the RT & Surface 2. I got the Surface Pro as a gift over the summer & I couldn't tell you the last time I used it. The thing is just way too heavy & battery life sucks. I think the RT is WAY better than the Pro just based on form factor. I really like the regular surface.

2. I would have gone with an ultra book instead.

3. I had the wedge mouse for all of 3 hours before I had to return it. Form factor was incredibly uncomfortable, the touch scrolling didn't work well, and it constantly lost connection to my Surface.

4. I like the touch cover more than type cover. Less fat fingering.

5. I think 8 is pretty bad but 8.1 is really solid. Search is the shit on it.

RT wouldn't run applications like CS. So it is out.

I think he was looking for a hybrid, so the ultrabook was out. Plus most of his usage will be with the power cord plugged in (from what I am gathering) so battery life isn't really that important (same with weight, yes if he wanted a true tablet then I would have steered him away from the pro).

Obviously form factors are different for every one. I have fairly large hands and like the wedge mouse better than most other mice.

Like WBH saying he likes the touchpad, you are the first person I've ever heard prefer the touch kb cover over the real key one.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-02, 16:32

Yeah, LWS you're pretty spot on with my usage.

Q - what the heck are you guys talking about in regards to keyboard covers? I bought the standard black keyboard that comes with this thing. Are you saying there are better options?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSUManiac13 2014-05-02, 16:48

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

RT wouldn't run applications like CS. So it is out.

I think he was looking for a hybrid, so the ultrabook was out. Plus most of his usage will be with the power cord plugged in (from what I am gathering) so battery life isn't really that important (same with weight, yes if he wanted a true tablet then I would have steered him away from the pro).

Obviously form factors are different for every one. I have fairly large hands and like the wedge mouse better than most other mice.

Like WBH saying he likes the touchpad, you are the first person I've ever heard prefer the touch kb cover over the real key one.

Yeah, I was posting more for the general poster than OP in particular.
MSUManiac13
MSUManiac13
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-05-02, 17:43

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yeah, LWS you're pretty spot on with my usage.

Q - what the heck are you guys talking about in regards to keyboard covers? I bought the standard black keyboard that comes with this thing. Are you saying there are better options?

Yes, there is one that more touch, than real keys. Sometimes referred to as the "chicklet" keyboard. Then there is a better one with actual keys. If I remember right the chicklet one is about $40, the nicer real key one is $99.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-09-21, 07:03

Hey, WBH, how is the Surface Pro 2 working out for you after four months? My 5-6 year-old laptop is showing signs of near-death. After having two 17" laptops in the last 10 years, I think it's time to downsize as needs change.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-09-21, 09:15

We had a couple of people from our local Microsoft store come in and demonstrate these things recently, think I'm sold. Don't know about you, but I have been reluctant to embrace the whole "cloud computing" concept, but these may have convinced me to embrace it, Office 365 and One Drive alone reduce the hard drive required significantly, though if you want you can get up to 500 gigs (pretty pricey for SSD).
The other thing is the whole Microsoft version of the Apple Genius, came across as a great resource with a minimum of the douche factor Apple (genius?, really?) brings (IMO).
Also, since it has a USB port, while sitting at your desk, just plug in a generic dock and hook up as big a screen and key board you want.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-09-21, 09:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:Hey, WBH, how is the Surface Pro 2 working out for you after four months? My 5-6 year-old laptop is showing signs of near-death. After having two 17" laptops in the last 10 years, I think it's time to downsize as needs change.
I have one and love it
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-09-21, 20:42

Floyd Robertson wrote:Hey, WBH, how is the Surface Pro 2 working out for you after four months? My 5-6 year-old laptop is showing signs of near-death. After having two 17" laptops in the last 10 years, I think it's time to downsize as needs change.

Yeah, I love it. Only thing that isn't great about it is it seems like turning the touchpad off doesn't always work. And when typing on the type cover sometimes if you accidentally hit the touchpad with your palms, the cursor snaps.

The other thing is it doesn't work great for a lot of GTMs/Web Ex type apps because the screen is so small. I've found that when I try to share my screen, others have a difficult time seeing anything.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-09-21, 20:54

I.B. Fine wrote:We had a couple of people from our local Microsoft store come in and demonstrate these things recently, think I'm sold. Don't know about you, but I have been reluctant to embrace the whole "cloud computing" concept, but these may have convinced me to embrace it, Office 365 and One Drive alone reduce the hard drive required significantly, though if you want you can get up to 500 gigs (pretty pricey for SSD).
The other thing is the whole Microsoft version of the Apple Genius, came across as a great resource with a minimum of the douche factor Apple (genius?, really?) brings (IMO).
Also, since it has a USB port, while sitting at your desk, just plug in a generic dock and hook up as big a screen and key board you want.

the guys in Microsoft store were all pretty cool. They kind of chuckled when i mentioned all the sheep in line downstairs to buy their new iphones.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-09-21, 20:55

Windows phones are terrible. Windows tablets are for real.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-09-21, 20:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Yeah, I love it. Only thing that isn't great about it is it seems like turning the touchpad off doesn't always work. And when typing on the type cover sometimes if you accidentally hit the touchpad with your palms, the cursor snaps.

The other thing is it doesn't work great for a lot of GTMs/Web Ex type apps because the screen is so small. I've found that when I try to share my screen, others have a difficult time seeing anything.

Good too hear, mostly. I wound up getting a Pro 3 after comparing them side by side.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-09-21, 21:00

nice! you'll love it.

Windows 8 still kind of sucks. Seems like you've got to take 4 extra steps sometimes to find simple things like files, control panel, certain programs, Just give me a standard desktop interface please. Let me put shortcuts to my most important items right there, and everything else I know is in the lower left. This shit is way too gimmicky.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-09-21, 21:01

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:nice! you'll love it.

Windows 8 still kind of sucks. Seems like you've got to take 4 extra steps sometimes to find simple things like files, control panel, certain programs, Just give me a standard desktop interface please. Let me put shortcuts to my most important items right there, and everything else I know is in the lower left. This shit is way too gimmicky.

You're a smart man
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-09-21, 21:02

yeah, this is my first hands-on with the metro thing. no doubt i'm floundering my way around.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-21, 21:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:nice! you'll love it.

Just type to find what you need. I felt the same until I realized that as soon I start typing in the metro interface it returns the applications that match. Now I find myself going to the metro interface to launch apps.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down