Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baltimore citizens are frustrated

+28
Tim Wakefield
StylesGShmooth
WBill
pulling69
Brock Middlebrook
InTenSity
The Pantry
The_Dude
I.B. Fine
Toe
Turtleneck
Heat Miser
Giant Moose
tTito
Dr. Strangelove
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
tTy
steveschneider
CORNER BLITZ
Travis of the Cosmos
Snake Plissken
Rodeo Burger
Blanch32
LoneWolfSparty
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
kingstonlake
32 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Baltimore citizens are frustrated - Page 2 Empty Re: Baltimore citizens are frustrated

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-28, 09:29

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:from what I can tell on the lower right-hand side of the picture, the young man is environmentally-aware enough to steal a low emission hybrid UPS truck... and he appears to be looking for on coming traffic.

you people focus only on the bad things.. Rolling Eyes

And wearing their seat belt.
Good point.

this young man might have some shortcomings but as long as we focus on those inadequacies, he'll never reach his full potential.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Baltimore citizens are frustrated - Page 2 Empty Re: Baltimore citizens are frustrated

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-04-28, 10:01

Baltimore is Detroit with salt water
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-04-28, 10:10

Rocinante wrote:The holier than thou white citizens brigade are mostly accounted for. Where's tito?

Sorry I'm late. I've been listening to all the fun on my police scanner app.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-28, 10:26

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Baltimore is Detroit with salt water
Similar but Detroit had a period of being a world-class elite city, though, which Baltimore really didn't have.

Rioting aside, I also think the best parts of Baltimore are currently better than the best parts of Detroit, and the worst parts of Detroit are worse than the worst parts of Baltimore.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-28, 11:05

kingstonlake wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:we let them have a black president.. what more do they want?

(besides free stuff.. isn't Obama already giving them all the free stuff they want, already)?

Ya know, we gave em FREEdom a couple hundred years ago. What more do they want? Damn....

Did you just round up to the nearest hundred or did you skip history class?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-28, 11:10

Heat Miser wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Ya know, we gave em FREEdom a couple hundred years ago. What more do they want? Damn....

Did you just round up to the nearest hundred or did you skip history class?

OK, OK. 150ish. Better?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-28, 11:10

Time to change a few things: change the training and use of force for police officers and make it easier to charge cops and prosecute them.

Do those two simple changes and no more riots.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-28, 11:12

Giant Moose wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Baltimore is Detroit with salt water
Similar but Detroit had a period of being a world-class elite city, though, which Baltimore really didn't have.

Rioting aside, I also think the best parts of Baltimore are currently better than the best parts of Detroit, and the worst parts of Detroit are worse than the worst parts of Baltimore.

Wasn't Baltimore know as a cesspool until they made a concerted effort to clean up the city? Which they effectively did. Weird who that obviously rubbed the wrong way .....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-28, 11:17

kingstonlake wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Wasn't Baltimore know as a cesspool until they made a concerted effort to clean up the city? Which they effectively did. Weird who that obviously rubbed the wrong way .....

I really liked the show The Wire. It was great TV. Maybe on the best TV shows I have watched. Herc was in an episode of Netflix's new Daredevil series.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-28, 11:23

steveschneider wrote:Time to change a few things: change the training and use of force for police officers and make it easier to charge cops and prosecute them.

That's it? You think this is JUST about police brutality?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-28, 11:29

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Time to change a few things: change the training and use of force for police officers and make it easier to charge cops and prosecute them.

The riots themselves? Yes. The reasons that the black population is disaffected? No. Those are larger social issues not addressable on the city level.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-28, 11:30

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, The King And I, and The Catcher In The Rye
Eisenhower, Vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn't start the fire...

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-28, 11:33

Rocinante wrote:

The riots themselves? Yes. The reasons that the black population is disaffected? No. Those are larger social issues not addressable on the city level.

Couldn't you consider the fact that part of the black population is disaffected a reason for the riots? Not really sure you can pin-point these riots on one thing.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-28, 11:34

steveschneider wrote:

You may need to educate me on this one.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-28, 11:35

Rocinante wrote:

Couldn't you consider the fact that part of the black population is disaffected a reason for the riots? Not really sure you can pin-point these riots on one thing.

The reason the riots touched off was police brutality. Without the police brutality, the riots don't happen. I don't really understand your focus on larger social issues. One step at a time, I say.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-28, 11:35

Does anybody want to talk about The Wire? Or maybe the the Serial podcast? Anyone?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-04-28, 11:40

steveschneider wrote:

My God you are so young. It's cute.

I'm not even that old compared to some of these geriatrics in this place, but even I got that one.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-28, 11:41

Rocinante wrote:

The reason the riots touched off was police brutality.  Without the police brutality, the riots don't happen.  I don't really understand your focus on larger social issues.  One step at a time, I say.

Because nothing will change until the root of the problem is fixed. "Training police better" isn't going to fix the fact that parts of the black population are continuing to devalue their life, risking it while stealing basic items from gas stations. It's not going to fix the housing problems.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-28, 11:42

this thread was more fun when we were making jokes..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-28, 11:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I'm not even that old compared to some of these geriatrics in this place, but even I got that one.

I am, I am. That post is just a bunch of semi-controversial/pop culture shit it seems. But, I'm here, if anyone wants to explain it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-04-28, 11:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I am, I am. That post is just a bunch of semi-controversial/pop culture shit it seems. But, I'm here, if anyone wants to explain it.
It's a song called we didn't start the fire. It's good. You should Google it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-28, 11:48

Rocinante wrote:

The reason the riots touched off was police brutality.  Without the police brutality, the riots don't happen.  I don't really understand your focus on larger social issues.  One step at a time, I say.

Because nothing will change until the root of the problem is fixed. "Training police better" isn't going to fix the fact that parts of the black population are continuing to devalue their life, risking it while stealing basic items from gas stations. It's not going to fix the housing problems.

I appreciate your social awareness, but the first step is to allow citizens to feel as though they have ownership of their own communities and are not prisoners in them. That means a police force that is in place to protect and serve the community, not view the community as criminals that just haven't been caught yet. Do all cops feel this way, no of course not. But enough of the community feels as though they are prisoners in their own homes that it essentially is true. Better training police and also having police live in the communities where they serve is a big step.

The song he's referring to is We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-28, 11:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:this thread was more fun when we were making jokes..

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Baltimore citizens are frustrated - Page 2 Ups10

Sorry, Bob.

This Uncle Tom looks like he can afford Jordan shoes and a nice Old Navy sweatshirt.. are we sure the system is failing these people? Shit, looks like he's even getting an education with that backpack on.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-28, 11:51

I don't think you know what the term Uncle Tom means.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2015-04-28, 11:55

steveschneider wrote:

SOMEBODY GET ME A CHEESEBURGER!!!!
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2015-04-28, 11:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:this thread was more fun when we were making jokes..

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Baltimore citizens are frustrated - Page 2 Ups10

Sorry, Bob.

This Uncle Tom looks like he can afford Jordan shoes and a nice Old Navy sweatshirt.. are we sure the system is failing these people? Shit, looks like he's even getting an education with that backpack on.

JFC are you ignorant.
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-28, 12:03

Another simple change that would cure the itch to riot - machine gun the early rioters.

It would serve as a deterrent to anyone else contemplating joining them in the streets.

It won't happen since this country lost the spine for that long ago.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-04-28, 12:03

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4642789-ray-lewis-baltimore-riots-speech-ravens-freddie-gray-orioles-postponed-nfl
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-28, 12:05

LooseGoose wrote:

Another simple change that would cure the itch to riot - machine gun the early rioters.

It would serve as a deterrent to anyone else contemplating joining them in the streets.

Trying a little too hard, but we appreciate your efforts.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-04-28, 12:06

Rocinante wrote:
I appreciate your social awareness, but the first step is to allow citizens to feel as though they have ownership of their own communities and are not prisoners in them. That means a police force that is in place to protect and serve the community, not view the community as criminals that just haven't been caught yet. Do all cops feel this way, no of course not. But enough of the community feels as though they are prisoners in their own homes that it essentially is true. Better training police and also having police live in the communities where they serve is a big step.

Sound like msu police - luckily they get a new crop of kids to lord over every 4/5 years
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-28, 12:20

LooseGoose wrote:

Are your willing to give the authorities that kind of power? Not me.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-28, 12:22

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Trying a little too hard, but we appreciate your efforts.

So you're disputing the fact that live ammo concentrates the mind and simplifies decisions?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-28, 12:22

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Give them that power? They already have that power.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-28, 12:34

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Yeah, and it worked so well when they did it before.

Baltimore citizens are frustrated - Page 2 John-filo-photo-of-mary-ann-vechiojpg-4338af7e714952b6
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-04-28, 12:41

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/orioles-john-angelos-baltimore-protests-mlb

Orioles COO John Angelos, son of owner Peter Angelos, in response to
Baltimore sports-radio broadcaster Brett Hollander who took to Twitter to argue that demonstrations that negatively impact the daily lives of fellow citizens are counter-productive

Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-04-28, 13:01

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Baltimore citizens are frustrated - Page 2 John-filo-photo-of-mary-ann-vechiojpg-4338af7e714952b6

That's a pretty big reach for an analogy. The biggest similarity is that in both circumstances most of the trouble was caused by out of towners.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-28, 13:05

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Authority doesn't kill white folk.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-28, 13:07

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I've missed the news accounts of day 2 or day 3 of the riots there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-28, 13:11

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Give them that power?  They already have that power.

I've missed the news accounts of day 2 or day 3 of the riots there.

You know a little thing called the American Revolution started with some rioting and a massacre?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-28, 13:25

LooseGoose wrote:

I agree that asking the government to murder its own citizens is a very good idea..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next