Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow

+19
steveschneider
The Pantry
Triple Sparty
Marc Summers
Herbie Green
Brock Middlebrook
WhiteBoyHatcher
xsanguine
NigelUno
CORNER BLITZ
Blanch32
HT
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
Dr. Strangelove
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow - Page 2 Empty Re: Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-01, 16:40

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Can someone explain the whole Burgerama thing to me? I've seen tons of references over the years. Whatever it is must have started after I graduated because people just went to the Riv to drink.

During my time here, it was from Noonish-8 every Thursday.. $3.50 or $3.75 pitchers of Coors Light, with some people getting the Long Island pitchers also for more money obviously. The burgers were like $3.50.

Pretty much cheap pitchers - fun atmosphere..good music..beer pong, flip cup, giant jenga, etc inside the bar. Lot's of drunkenness everywhere, including pints being passed out in the long lines that it could get to.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow - Page 2 Empty Re: Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow

Post by HT 2015-07-01, 20:15

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
HT wrote:I recommend What Up Dawg

No

You know it closed, right? Sucks.

That's the joke.gif
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-01, 20:17

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Can someone explain the whole Burgerama thing to me? I've seen tons of references over the years. Whatever it is must have started after I graduated because people just went to the Riv to drink.

During my time here, it was from Noonish-8 every Thursday.. $3.50 or $3.75 pitchers of Coors Light, with some people getting the Long Island pitchers also for more money obviously. The burgers were like $3.50.

Pretty much cheap pitchers - fun atmosphere..good music..beer pong, flip cup, giant jenga, etc inside the bar. Lot's of drunkenness everywhere, including pints being passed out in the long lines that it could get to.

That sucks...when I was at State, Burgerama was $3.50 pitchers of Labatt Blue.

But Burger Bash at PT's was where it was at...$4 macrobrews and $5 microbrew pitchers and dollar burgers and dollar waffle fries. I would get 3 pitchers of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, a burger and fries and be under $20. Was a great (and cheap) way to really loose on a Thursday, and they didn't have the lines that Burgerama had.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-01, 20:19

Turtleneck wrote:
HT wrote:I recommend What Up Dawg

How about all of this rain? I think it has rained every day since June 1.

Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread to ask you how you felt about all the rain.

I like it. Keeping things cool here, and I kind of like glum and rainy skies more than sunny skies.

Only downside is all the rain is cracking our cherries, so there aren't many we can sell this year. Otherwise, I'm loving this weather. You?
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 08:09

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:as far as traditional bars go, the best are in Lansing.. Stobers, Arts, The Unicorn, Leroys, Dagwoods...

as far as EL joints go - we know what's there.. hard to beat PB but that's coming from a upper 40's local who has never stepped foot in The Riv or the Landshark or any of the other places that pharmaceutical companies and makers of antibiotics dream of.

You knew what I meant by "real bar". Is it really that difficult of a concept to understand?

What is wrong with people these days?
by my definition, there are 'real bars' in the area - just not East Lansing.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-07-02, 09:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

You knew what I meant by "real bar". Is it really that difficult of a concept to understand?

What is wrong with people these days?
by my definition, there are 'real bars' in the area - just not East Lansing.

It's something the town is missing. A bar that would appeal to grads (or at least to grad students) on a somewhat regular basis. Is PB the closest thing to that? Dagwood's fits the bill somewhat (but, obviously not really in EL).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 09:59

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:by my definition, there are 'real bars' in the area - just not East Lansing.

It's something the town is missing.  A bar that would appeal to grads (or at least to grad students) on a somewhat regular basis.  Is PB the closest thing to that?  Dagwood's fits the bill somewhat (but, obviously not really in EL).    
agree..

when I want to hang out at a real bar and not have to deal with college students who would probably benefit from wearing a body condom, I hit up Stobers, Leroys or The Unicorn. I love living in East Lansing and everything it has to offer but, in general, prefer Lansing bars.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-02, 10:09

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread to ask you how you felt about all the rain.
TN, how ya been doing lately, brotha? How far away from the well hung prison escapees were/are ya?

Things are good. Those guys were pretty far away. They didn't get very far in the amount of time they had. How did your move shape up?

HT wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I like it. Keeping things cool here, and I kind of like glum and rainy skies more than sunny skies.

Only downside is all the rain is cracking our cherries, so there aren't many we can sell this year. Otherwise, I'm loving this weather. You?

Like the cool weather, but things are a bit too damp right now. Just seems crazy that it has probably rained at least once a day for a month.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-02, 10:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It's something the town is missing.  A bar that would appeal to grads (or at least to grad students) on a somewhat regular basis.  Is PB the closest thing to that?  Dagwood's fits the bill somewhat (but, obviously not really in EL).    
agree..

when I want to hang out at a real bar and not have to deal with college students who would probably benefit from wearing a body condom, I hit up Stobers, Leroys or The Unicorn. I love living in East Lansing and everything it has to offer but, in general, prefer Lansing bars.
You definitely sound like an EL resident. Typical, I love all this town has because of the University, if only those damn students and University weren't around, it would be much more enjoyable, attitude. Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow - Page 2 502811600
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 10:37

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
agree..

You definitely sound like an EL resident. Typical, I love all this town has because of the University, if only those damn students and University weren't around, it would be much more enjoyable, attitude. Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow - Page 2 502811600
because I'm in my upper 40's and don't really feel like hanging out a "Burgerama" event... but enjoy the cultural resources the university has to offer, the supportive and academically-demanding public school system, etc... that somehow makes me less of a resident of East Lansing?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-02, 11:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
because I'm in my upper 40's and don't really feel like hanging out a "Burgerama" event... but enjoy the cultural resources the university has to offer, the supportive and academically-demanding public school system, etc... that somehow makes me less of a resident of East Lansing?
Nah, I'm just going on my experience there. I always got the feeling that the residents of E. Lansing loved the fact that MSU was there, but hated the fact that students had to live and go to school there.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-07-02, 11:14

My God people it's July. WTF is this weather?
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-07-02, 11:14

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:by my definition, there are 'real bars' in the area - just not East Lansing.

It's something the town is missing. A bar that would appeal to grads (or at least to grad students) on a somewhat regular basis. Is PB the closest thing to that? Dagwood's fits the bill somewhat (but, obviously not really in EL).

Beggars Banquet Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow - Page 2 2599972566
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 11:37

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:because I'm in my upper 40's and don't really feel like hanging out a "Burgerama" event... but enjoy the cultural resources the university has to offer, the supportive and academically-demanding public school system, etc... that somehow makes me less of a resident of East Lansing?
Nah, I'm just going on my experience there. I always got the feeling that the residents of E. Lansing loved the fact that MSU was there, but hated the fact that students had to live and go to school there.
I love East Lansing.. I could do without the students who don't know how to behave because their parents always told them how special they were out of fear of impacting their self-esteem in a negative fashion.. but I love East Lansing.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-07-02, 11:49

Bob, do you live in the Bailey neighborhood and attend City Council meetings?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-02, 12:01

Herbie Green wrote:Bob, do you live in the Bailey neighborhood and attend City Council meetings?

Bob is the mayor of East Lansing. Not the official elected mayor, but the real mayor that everybody, including the official elected mayor, turns to during troubling time or when an important decision needs to be made.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 12:26

Brock Middlebrook wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Maybe a good bet. I have lived here for 20+ years and I've probably been inside Beggars maybe 4-5 times. Never really struck me as my kind of scene.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 12:27

Herbie Green wrote:Bob, do you live in the Bailey neighborhood and attend City Council meetings?
oh, yeah, man.. I don't miss a single one - I'll give you my address, my credit card number, my PIN and my mothers maiden name if you want to do further research on me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-07-02, 12:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
oh, yeah, man.. I don't miss a single one - I'll give you my address, my credit card number, my PIN and my mothers maiden name if you want to do further research on me.

It was just a joke because it seems like there was always an active group of residents from Bailey that chose to live blocks from campus but then constantly complained about all the riff raff.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 12:52

Herbie Green wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:oh, yeah, man.. I don't miss a single one - I'll give you my address, my credit card number, my PIN and my mothers maiden name if you want to do further research on me.

It was just a joke because it seems like there was always an active group of residents from Bailey that chose to live blocks from campus but then constantly complained about all the riff raff.
dude, I know the exact people you are talking about.. I've probably been to their house.. Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-07-02, 14:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Brock Middlebrook wrote:

Maybe a good bet. I have lived here for 20+ years and I've probably been inside Beggars maybe 4-5 times. Never really struck me as my kind of scene.

Same here. When I was in college, I thought it was a bar for old people.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 14:26

Brock Middlebrook wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Maybe a good bet. I have lived here for 20+ years and I've probably been inside Beggars maybe 4-5 times. Never really struck me as my kind of scene.

yeah - any place whose biggest night seems to be "wine night" or whatever loses me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-07-02, 14:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Brock Middlebrook wrote:

yeah - any place whose biggest night seems to be "wine night" or whatever loses me.

We're not sophisticated enough
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 14:51

Brock Middlebrook wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:yeah - any place whose biggest night seems to be "wine night" or whatever loses me.

I'm certainly not.

however, I do know of someone who, I've been told, I would really enjoy having a beer with.. this from someone who has never met me and knows nothing about me.

Gonna be in East Lansing tomorrow - Page 2 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-07-02, 14:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Brock Middlebrook wrote:

Always seemed like the spot that weird professor types went to.

The old Small Planet had a better vibe.

Beggar's is a restaurant. Not really a bar.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-07-02, 14:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Brock Middlebrook wrote:

I'm certainly not.

however, I do know of someone who, I've been told, I would really enjoy having a beer with.. this from someone who has never met me and knows nothing about me.

Yes, I recall seeing that. Tell him to meet you at Beggars for wine night, maybe that will save you
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-02, 15:00

Brock Middlebrook wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm certainly not.

Yes, I recall seeing that. Tell him to meet you at Beggars for wine night, maybe that will save you
I think I'd rather be an active participant in "Burgerama" (whatever that is) than meet a certain individual - whom I'd really enjoy having a beer with - at Beggars.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-07-02, 15:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Brock Middlebrook wrote:

I think I'd rather be an active participant in "Burgerama" (whatever that is) than meet a certain individual - whom I'd really enjoy having a beer with - at Beggars.

Burgerama is the easiest place to pull afternoon vagina in E. Lansing.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-07-02, 15:49

Um, what? It was the most-looked-forward-to event of the week, followed by Fridays at Ricks. I was there early 2000s and could fill a box set of books with stories from our hijinks there.

Have been back to the Riv multiple times since. Not sure what the hang up is with "real" bars, although I generally don't fit in no matter where I go regardless of the bar's realness.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-07-02, 16:51

Think it was Beggars that had all you could eat spaghetti back when the dorm cafeterias were closed on Sunday evenings. It was usually that, clam chowder at Hobie's, or ordering from Bells...their pizza and grinders use to be awesome.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-07-02, 17:16

Founders IPA has been ordered. 35 cents off at happy hour
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-07-02, 17:20

Centennial or All Day?

Love Centennial but personally think All Day sucks as a session.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-07-02, 17:25

All Day.

Rodeo burger ordered
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-07-02, 17:35

Ask if they have anything from Griffin Claw
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-02, 17:39

I love el azteco and the peanut barrel. Every trip back I visit both.

I miss Bilbos.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-07-02, 20:34

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Founders IPA has been ordered. 35 cents off at happy hour

35 cents off?

What a deal! Get 2!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-07-02, 21:36

NigelUno wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Founders IPA has been ordered. 35 cents off at happy hour

35 cents off?

What a deal! Get 2!

Well to be fair Sierra bottles were $3 instead $4.25
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-02, 21:43

Treat yourself. You can afford it with that extra $7 in your pocket from the gamboling board.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-02, 21:44

Triple Sparty wrote:

Um, what? It was the most-looked-forward-to event of the week, followed by Fridays at Ricks. I was there early 2000s and could fill a box set of books with stories from our hijinks there.

Have been back to the Riv multiple times since. Not sure what the hang up is with "real" bars, although I generally don't fit in no matter where I go regardless of the bar's realness.
I can assure you Burgerama was not a thing when I graduated in 2000.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-07-03, 01:25

steveschneider wrote:I love el azteco and the peanut barrel. Every trip back I visit both.

I miss Bilbos.

I think I am in love with you
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next