Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions

+30
Death Roe
TheReal_LWS
Watch Out Pylon!
Clarett's Folly
FupaTuba
MiamiSpartan
GRR Spartan
Dingleberryexplosion
Herbie Green
The_Dude
Masturbates
Tim Wakefield
SpartanInNH
xsanguine
By-Tor
y2kMgrad
HT
Other Teams Pursuing That
Blanch32
DWags
Turtleneck
CORNER BLITZ
pulling69
InTenSity
Brock Middlebrook
Nordic
Rocinante
WhiteBoyHatcher
steveschneider
Giant Moose
34 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions Empty SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions

Post by Giant Moose Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:23

Shocking. Rolling Eyes

I agree there. I was also on campus for the '04 ND game that really ruined it. Trustees chose that night to stroll through campus.

I also confess to playing a role in the current way things are run.

I was on ASMSU at the time, the vice-chair of external affairs (stupid title, but this fell in my lap) and we were told point blank during the '04 summer to come up with a solution or they would ban booze entirely. The parking pass lottery for the tennis courts was my idea (to avoid the all night line-up), as was the 7-9-1 change and getting food trucks on campus, the tennis court DJs, etc. Also pushed for more portajohns.

It was a crazy dramatic time and I got a ton of hate mail for it. I will say that we were pretty close to the trustees making State dry; keeping booze on tailgate Sats was balanced by the ban on open intox during other days (you used to be able to drink at any time on campus).

FWIW, that ND game was insane. At one point all emergency vehicles from 9 jurisdictions were in use at once save for 2 firetrucks. There was something like 40 people with BACs of 3.0, plus the sexual assault that a lot of folks point to as the reason the restrictions were put in place.

Basically the EL PD, Ingham County, the fire departments, okemos and bath township combined could not handle the amount of alcohol poisonings, fights and assaults that night.

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/WSJ-Millennials-and-declining-football-attendance-38247671?Page=2
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions Empty Re: SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions

Post by steveschneider Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:45

From what he outlined though it makes sense. Sounds like the worst time possible for an inspection.

Was anyone else there and how bad was it?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions Empty Re: SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:46

Calling absolute BS that the 7/9/1 and lottery system were his ideas and his alone. Nice ego run amok, though.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:48

steveschneider wrote:From what he outlined though it makes sense. Sounds like the worst time possible for an inspection.

Not as bad as he makes it out. It was way worse in the mid 90s. Man, rocky has turned into a sanctimonious a-hole.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:53

I remember strolling through late afternoon. I don't think we parked there though. It was pretty freaking nuts and have no doubt it got out of hand. But the admin is partially to blame for continuing to box people into a corner.

I believe Hollis is anti-drinking so I have no doubt they were trying to shut shit down after the ND game. He is a great AD, but we obv don't see eye-to-eye on this. Or the porta-poddy situation. I guaranty it is intentional thinking it will curb drinking. Ohh and the ELPD makes a mint writing tickets. They literally have a mini-police station setup in front of Holmes(?) ushering in sex offenders... errr public urinatitors. It is absurd.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Calling absolute BS that the 7/9/1 and lottery system were his ideas and his alone. Nice ego run amok, though.

What is the 7/9/1?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:55

Lots open at 7 for noon games, 9 for 3:30 games and 1 pm for night games.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 12:56

steveschneider wrote:From what he outlined though it makes sense. Sounds like the worst time possible for an inspection.

I was there. It was wild but it wasn't that outrageous, especially when compared to times when it probably was too out of control a decade before. But this time had a claimed sexual assault and that's what I believe ultimately forced the change. The assault ended up not being true, too.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 13:01

Nordic wrote:I remember strolling through late afternoon.  I don't think we parked there though.  It was pretty freaking nuts and have no doubt it got out of hand.  But the admin is partially to blame for continuing to box people into a corner.

I believe Hollis is anti-drinking so I have no doubt they were trying to shut shit down after the ND game. He is a great AD, but we obv don't see eye-to-eye on this.  Or the porta-poddy situation.  I guaranty it is intentional thinking it will curb drinking.  Ohh and the ELPD makes a mint writing tickets.  They literally have a mini-police station setup in front of Holmes(?) ushering in sex offenders... errr public urinatitors.  It is absurd.

I had exactly 2 beers last game I went to. I just don't get drunk anymore, just wanted to relax and chill out. The second one snuck up on me and I had to go real bad. I went through an ordeal trying to find the fucking bathroom and then ended up waiting in a super long line for it. I didn't realize they closed off the building and had to find some disgusting trailer thing by Jenison Field House. It might have looked like I was playing pocket pool to some people, but I was doing everything I could to not lose it. I spent about 45-50 minutes of my day just trying to take a piss.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 13:16

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:I remember strolling through late afternoon.  I don't think we parked there though.  It was pretty freaking nuts and have no doubt it got out of hand.  But the admin is partially to blame for continuing to box people into a corner.

I believe Hollis is anti-drinking so I have no doubt they were trying to shut shit down after the ND game. He is a great AD, but we obv don't see eye-to-eye on this.  Or the porta-poddy situation.  I guaranty it is intentional thinking it will curb drinking.  Ohh and the ELPD makes a mint writing tickets.  They literally have a mini-police station setup in front of Holmes(?) ushering in sex offenders... errr public urinatitors.  It is absurd.

I had exactly 2 beers last game I went to. I just don't get drunk anymore, just wanted to relax and chill out. The second one snuck up on me and I had to go real bad. I went through an ordeal trying to find the fucking bathroom and then ended up waiting in a super long line for it. I didn't realize they closed off the building and had to find some disgusting trailer thing by Jenison Field House. It might have looked like I was playing pocket pool to some people, but I was doing everything I could to not lose it. I spent about 45-50 minutes of my day just trying to take a piss.
Should have just stopped by the sWillSuite.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 13:42

I was face down in a puddle of mud
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 13:48

I love how the University is trying to figure out ways to get more people to the games, while simultaneously restricting tailgating. How they haven't figured out that the two are probably tied to the hip, is beyond me.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 13:54

He cites the "sexual assault" that day....wasn't it proven that it never happened?
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 13:55

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Calling absolute BS that the 7/9/1 and lottery system were his ideas and his alone. Nice ego run amok, though.

Didn't this go into effect midway through the year after the ND game?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 14:07

Antonio Brown is not a playmaker.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 14:10

How limited do you guys feel? I still think it's a pretty worthwhile thing to do. The times I've traveled back it's still fun to cook out and have a few beers. I guess I just haven't had that many issues with it but I'm usually just visiting.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 14:18

steveschneider wrote:How limited do you guys feel? I still think it's a pretty worthwhile thing to do. The times I've traveled back it's still fun to cook out and have a few beers. I guess I just haven't had that many issues with it but I'm usually just visiting.

7/9/1 is awful and is what has killed tailgating IMO

Moving students away from campus has killed the student section as well

Getting rid of 7/9/1 would be huge
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 14:27

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
steveschneider wrote:How limited do you guys feel? I still think it's a pretty worthwhile thing to do. The times I've traveled back it's still fun to cook out and have a few beers. I guess I just haven't had that many issues with it but I'm usually just visiting.

Agreed. And MSU is so stupid that they don't even allow tailgating to open early when things like GameDay come to town for the night games.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 14:50

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Yeah, the last couple of games I've gone too the student section is barely filled up. Should work on a better system so that they place fills up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 14:54

steveschneider wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Yeah, the last couple of games I've gone too the student section is barely filled up. Should work on a better system so that they place fills up.

Encourage people to come instead of creating rules that push them away. Should be pretty easy
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 15:41

Giant Moose wrote:

I was there. It was wild but it wasn't that outrageous, especially when compared to times when it probably was too out of control a decade before. But this time had a claimed sexual assault and that's what I believe ultimately forced the change. The assault ended up not being true, too.
That night was pretty out of hand. I remember waking up and walking through campus with my wife before breakfast the next day and it looked like a war zone.
My problem is when something like that happens they make a rule that is punitive immediately. How about waiting to see if it becomes a thing week to week. Frankly they could just put restrictions on for a huge night rivalry game. Not a blanket rule for when we play western eastern Rutgers or. The like.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 15:54

What's the reason for reducing the number of bathrooms? That decision clearly had nothing to do with that ND game in 04.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:08

Agreed.

Regardless, can we flat out ban this clown from here for effectively killing msu tailgating?

The admin made a threat, now let them see through to it and see how the alums take it
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:11

Seeing old msu friends: worthwhile.

Msu tailgating & travel: not worthwhile.

Instead I just need to convince my friends to hit up SEC tailgates with a satellite dish
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:21

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Segregating students and alum killed tailgating FYI
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:28

DWags wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
That night was pretty out of hand. I remember waking up and walking through campus with my wife before breakfast the next day and it looked like a war zone.
My problem is when something like that happens they make a rule that is punitive immediately. How about waiting to see if it becomes a thing week to week. Frankly they could just put restrictions on for a huge night rivalry game. Not a blanket rule for when we play western eastern Rutgers or. The like.

Dwags,

That's thoughtful responsible and takes leadership and patience...none of which today's baby boomers leaders know how to do
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:29

I can't believe the students have to start entering an hour and a half before the game starts. I lived in Shaw my freshmen year. We would walk over to the stadium at 11:45 and get in. If I had to be to a noon game and in line getting patted down like I'm a fucking terrorist an hour and a half before kickoff, I'd just watch the game in the dorm room.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:29

steveschneider wrote:What's the reason for reducing the number of bathrooms? That decision clearly had nothing to do with that ND game in 04.

Business decision back in 2001.

Fwiw, I still can't believe the rates are only still $25. Go to $35 and rent more portajohns. Hell make it $50
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:31

steveschneider wrote:What's the reason for reducing the number of bathrooms? That decision clearly had nothing to do with that ND game in 04.

See my theory in the post above.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:37

Tailgating days are the best days of the year. Besides not enough pissers and constant changing of parking rules and road closures, no limitations. The 7/9/1 rule doesn't bother me. I'm fucking 40ish and dont need to bonging beers at 5am. And I'll call horseshit to it killing tailgating. I'm usually there a half hour before lots open and unless it is a big game it is a ghost town. You telling me if you could park at 4am it would be better?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:42

Blanch32 wrote:

Business decision back in 2001.

Fwiw, I still can't believe the rates are only still $25. Go to $35 and rent more portajohns. Hell make it $50

It has nothing to with money. Doubling the pissers would be a drop in the bucket.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 16:45

Nordic wrote:

Tailgating days are the best days of the year. Besides not enough pissers and constant changing of parking rules and road closures, no limitations. The 7/9/1 rule doesn't bother me. I'm fucking 40ish and dont need to bonging beers at 5am. And I'll call horseshit to it killing tailgating. I'm usually there a half hour before lots open and unless it is a big game it is a ghost town. You telling me if you could park at 4am it would be better?

That's for the most part how I view it.

I'm cooped up in an urban jungle. Getting out there when the leaves turn, meeting up with some of my best friends ever that I met during my time there, grilling food and drinking a beer outdoors makes for a great time.

I've really felt no restrictions from getting completely hammered even though I keep it to just a few. Also, I feel like 3-4 hours before a game is plenty of time for me.

I think over all it's still a pretty good deal.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 17:52

You guys know my thoughts on this.

More reason to say fuck rocky. That guy is a major tool and I guarantee he was staying in most nights on the weekend. Fuckin tool.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 18:49

That guy doesn't sound like he's fun at parties.

As for tailgating. It's fun with the right people and I think I could have a pretty restrained tailgated (grill food, have a few beers, and talk and catch up with people) and still have a good time. I just feel like maybe I missed out a bit as a student because of these tailgate rules, but the tailgating isn't really what keeps me from going back.

It's that it's a hassle to get to EL and spend money on what have been lackluster experiences since I graduated, when I can make money helping my grandparents on Saturdays with the apple harvest and follow that up with watching the game at my house on an HDTV with homemade wings and burgers and my choice of beer. Simple choice, really, and it costs a lot less (especially considering the day is probably a net positive financially even after getting wings/burgers and beer).
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 18:51

DWags wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

My thought on that...yes there was shit everywhere, but there were about 3 garbage cans per lot. People will throw stuff away if you give them space to, it's gotten better with more receptacles available. That day there were huge mounds of garbage around the few cans in each lot and people just said 'fuck it, going on the ground anyways minus well just leave it here'
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 18:57

Nordic wrote:

It wasn't a ghost town before the days of 7/9/1 and we sucked back then.

Even in big games, our lot (P) isn't even full an hour before the game. It's a hassle to put up with getting in at x time and becomes a huge clusterfuck now for big night games... even without the lot being full you just sit there in a traffic jam til they open the lot. That is unless a cop decides to tell you to move, then you have to circle around campus and get back in the same line... just let people in the lot.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 19:03

InTenSity wrote:I can't believe the students have to start entering an hour and a half before the game starts. I lived in Shaw my freshmen year. We would walk over to the stadium at 11:45 and get in. If I had to be to a noon game and in line getting patted down like I'm a fucking terrorist an hour and a half before kickoff, I'd just watch the game in the dorm room.

Its more like 2 hours. The latest i got to a game in undergrad was 1 hour before the Indiana night game in 07 i believe...I missed the first 5 minutes of the game and ended up in the upper deck.

With student tailgate being pushed away from campus along with not being able to start til a certain time and the fact that the smallest TV anyone in college has is a 32" (those are the chick's btw)...pretty easy to see why the students are lax to show up on time/if at all
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 20:05

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Nordic wrote:

It wasn't a ghost town before the days of 7/9/1 and we sucked back then.

Even in big games, our lot (P) isn't even full an hour before the game. It's a hassle to put up with getting in at x time and becomes a huge clusterfuck now for big night games... even without the lot being full you just sit there in a traffic jam til they open the lot. That is unless a cop decides to tell you to move, then you have to circle around campus and get back in the same line... just let people in the lot.

First off, I'm with you... who gives a fuck... open at 6am.  That said, I'm not going to die on that sword and will make my own tailgate regardless of whatever rules they come up with next.

I've missed 2 games since '96.  The big games are always a fist fight to get in line... Indiana, not so much.  But would agree, mid-to-late 90s was prime tailgating (post Munn), T-courts were rocking and more peeps were there early.

Even before the 7/9/1 rule, it was still 6am for the earliest arrival time (or something like that).  I seriously don't think 1-3 hours is the issue (I can actually sleep my old ass in so I like it).  Fucking with lot assignments, increasing donor donations (which I don't have a problem with), lack of pissers/public urination tickets and crack downs on minors are probably more to blame.  I would also add that we've gotten spoiled.  'Back in the day' we were there solely for the tailgate.  Now the team is sweet good and no one GAF about coming early for Purdue.

Last edited by Nordic on Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 20:21; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 20:10

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I can't believe the students have to start entering an hour and a half before the game starts. I lived in Shaw my freshmen year. We would walk over to the stadium at 11:45 and get in. If I had to be to a noon game and in line getting patted down like I'm a fucking terrorist an hour and a half before kickoff, I'd just watch the game in the dorm room.

Its more like 2 hours. The latest i got to a game in undergrad was 1 hour before the Indiana night game in 07 i believe...I missed the first 5 minutes of the game and ended up in the upper deck.

With student tailgate being pushed away from campus along with not being able to start til a certain time and the fact that the smallest TV anyone in college has is a 32" (those are the chick's btw)...pretty easy to see why the students are lax to show up on time/if at all

I've seen some poor bastards start getting inline when the lots open for the bigger games... nuts/no thanks
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Fri 17 Jul 2015 - 20:14

I was at that game. Drank a pint of Jack and ended up falling down the upper bleacher stairs at SS. Don't remember one play from that game. SpartanRocky admits he was involved in MSU tailgating restrictions 502811600

Good times.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next