Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2014 NFL Draft thread

+44
JEK
dubie7006
Larry Kazamias
A. Allen
BtothejizA
Youngblood 96
Crazy Jim9
Floyd Robertson
sprtnbrn
Heat Miser
Izzo Court
tTito
Other Teams Pursuing That
I Still Hate Weber State
TrueGreenSpartan
DWags
The Pantry
Danny Tanner
Rod Porkmore
WCS
Travis of the Cosmos
SawGreen
Fallenangle
Zeno
Loose Stools
Stinkweed
Dr Draymond
Gob Bluth
Stoops21
Ham Porter
WhiteBoyHatcher
d_mcc
Death Roe
WBill
Oops Thats not right
NigelUno
Ass Dan
Rodeo Burger
Mentalstate
Macks
LoneWolfSparty
Cosmo_Kramer
SeeRockCity
Jor El
48 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2014 NFL Draft thread - Page 5 Empty Re: tOfficial 2014 NFL Draft thread

Post by Heat Miser 2014-05-09, 10:46

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Linky - Sports Science on Ebron

So they measured his vertical as being 5" better than what he did at the combine and chose not to redo at his Pro Day? Doubt that's accurate.  Half the stuff they said in the video was idiotic. "He would push JJ Watt 2 feet." Yeah because JJ Watt is suspended in the air, motionless at the snap of the ball. "His hands are 30% larger than the average male." Umm, OK. How about compared to other NFL TEs?

The guy is known for being as arrogant as they come, doesn't have much in line blocking experience, and has a propensity to drop passes. The apt comparison is Kellen Winslow Jr., not Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski. Does anyone think Kellen Winslow Jr. was worth a top 10 pick now?

No TE is worth a top 10 pick IMO. The Curse of WCF lives on.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2014 NFL Draft thread - Page 5 Empty Re: tOfficial 2014 NFL Draft thread

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-09, 10:50

So they measured his vertical as being 5" better than what he did at the combine and chose not to redo at his Pro Day? Doubt that's accurate.  Half the stuff they said in the video was idiotic. "He would push JJ Watt 2 feet." Yeah because JJ Watt is suspended in the air, motionless at the snap of the ball. "His hands are 30% larger than the average male." Umm, OK. How about compared to other NFL TEs?

The guy is known for being as arrogant as they come, doesn't have much in line blocking experience, and has a propensity to drop passes. The apt comparison is Kellen Winslow Jr., not Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski. Does anyone think Kellen Winslow Jr. was worth a top 10 pick now?

Just throwing out some info. I wouldn't have drafted a TE there, but if he's any good, he's going to get a lot of balls thrown his way. Detroit wants to outscore people. Might work.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State 2014-05-09, 11:00

Macks wrote:

The Lions problems with DBs is coaching. Throwing more 1st round picks at the problem won't fix it. Teryl Austin needs to fix the DB problem through good coaching. Plus, there's more than one round to the draft FYI. People complain about spending a pick on a 3rd TE (who is basically a WR) but you don't have a problem spending it on a 3rd safety? I'd imagine they'll spend one of the 5 picks they have from rounds 2 to 4 on some DBs, ones that Austin thinks he can mold into contributors.

Taking off the green-colored googles, I don't think any DB (Dennard included) was worth it at #10. I didn't like the Ebron pick at the time but as the next 5-10 teams picked there wasn't a single player that jumped out at me as "DAMN we should have picked him".

How exactly do you know this? Wouldn't you need to that Lions CBs have/had success with different coaching in order to definitively state this? Eric Wright? No better, no worse with the Lions than before/after. Chris Houston? Probably been better with the Lions than with the Falcons. Rashean Mathis is well past his prime. Slay was considered a bit of a reach where he was picked since he was coming off an injury and neither Bentley nor Greenwood has ever really shown starter ability.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-09, 12:03

Now he's a better athlete than both? Wow. Talk about Kool Aid.

Hey Heat, smiley request.

Can we get the Green koolaid guy? And while you are at it a blue one for this guy?

TIA!
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-09, 12:11

Macks wrote:

Taking off the green-colored googles, I don't think any DB (Dennard included) was worth it at #10. I didn't like the Ebron pick at the time but as the next 5-10 teams picked there wasn't a single player that jumped out at me as "DAMN we should have picked him".

Really?

I wanted like all but one DB and OLB taken from 11-24.

Look at all the teams drafting after 18. Lots of teams taking defensive players. The difference between those teams and the Lions? Most of them have made the playoffs multiple times the past few years. D wins, O sells tickets. This franchise is a joke.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-09, 12:20

MJ wrote:

Really?

I wanted like all but one DB and OLB taken from 11-24.

Look at all the teams drafting after 18.  Lots of teams taking defensive players.  The difference between those teams and the Lions?   Most of them have made the playoffs multiple times the past few years.  D wins, O sells tickets.  This franchise is a joke.

When did Det have a solid record and look like one of the best teams in the league? When Sheffler, Burleson & Broyles were healthy. They went down, and Det went down too. The back-ups lead to Megatron being double and triple teamed, and the back-ups had a ton of huge 3rd down and TD drops, mainly Durham.

Det's D was not horrible, and was playing very well before the injuries on O. Macks broke it down:

"Lions defense was #16 in YPG allowed and #15 in PPG allowed. Middle of the pack.

Pass D was not great but not bottom of the barrel - #23 in passing YPG, #12 in completion %, #20 in YPA, #19 in opponent passer rating. Tied for #17 in INTs, tied for #13 in TDs allowed. Needs to improve, but people make it sound like we were giving up 40 points a game through the air.

Rush D was actually very good - #6 in YPG allowed, with under 100 (although #20 in YPA) and tied for 8th in rush TDs allowed."

And...this draft is not over.

A "bad" pick at 10 would have been Cooks or the LSU WR, or spewan. A good pick would have been Ebron, Martin (versatile OL) or a DB. Shazier is being put inside at LB, Det needed/needs a Barr/Macks type of outside backer who can also put a hand down. BTW, if Det drafted Martin, he probably doesn't even start this year, which kinda makes it a bad pick at 10.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-09, 12:32

BTW, mock drafts have Det getting the BYU outside LB in the second, who had a lot of sacks in college. If he slides to them, that's a huge win and makes the Ebron pick even better, seeing that Barr was gone.

Det was also set to trade up to #5 for Watkins or Mack, but Buffalo messed everything up when they traded up to #4, so Det was trying to make a move that made sense. They had acquired about moving up even more, but the cost was for a future #1, which was too high.

One name that could be interesting for them later is the Mizzou kid. Tweener, but extremely productive.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Oops Thats not right 2014-05-09, 12:45

Mentalstate wrote:BTW, mock drafts have Det getting the BYU outside LB in the second, who had a lot of sacks in college. If he slides to them, that's a huge win and makes the Ebron pick even better, seeing that Barr was gone.

Det was also set to trade up to #5 for Watkins or Mack, but Buffalo messed everything up when they traded up to #4, so Det was trying to make a move that made sense. They had acquired about moving up even more, but the cost was for a future #1, which was too high.

One name that could be interesting for them later is the Mizzou kid. Tweener, but extremely productive.

I'd be shocked if Van Noy fell to Detroit, and Mizzou? Are you talking about Michael Sam? Or does Mizzou have another guy in the draft?

Ebron was a reach, don't like the selection at all. Average production in a first year TE is like 35 catches for 500 yards. Yeah, Detroit could get that out of a few guys.

Oops Thats not right
Oops Thats not right
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Oops Thats not right 2014-05-09, 12:46

Heat Miser wrote:

No TE is worth a top 10 pick IMO. The Curse of WCF lives on.

WCF? Or Matt Millen? I'd vote for the curse of the later.
Oops Thats not right
Oops Thats not right
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-09, 13:21

Oops Thats not right wrote:

I'd be shocked if Van Noy fell to Detroit, and Mizzou?  Are you talking about Michael Sam?  Or does Mizzou have another guy in the draft?

Ebron was a reach, don't like the selection at all.  Average production in a first year TE is like 35 catches for 500 yards.   Yeah, Detroit could get that out of a few guys.

Sam, but they can get him later. If Van Noy falls, Det wins. They are also looking at the GT DE, who had a lot of sacks and played as an OLB the year before. I think there will be a run on WRs, and the two QBs will also go, plus a run on DTs, there is a solid chance the BYU kid is there. Det could also move up, they have 3 4th round picks, one of which is trade-able.

Good write-up on possible targets:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/05/detroit_lions_prospects_to_wat_2.html#incart_river
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-05-09, 13:34

Mentalstate wrote:BTW, mock drafts have Det getting the BYU outside LB in the second, who had a lot of sacks in college. If he slides to them, that's a huge win and makes the Ebron pick even better, seeing that Barr was gone.

Barr wasn't even that highly touted. He has shown flashes, but being picked at 9 may be a big reach. He is probably not as good as Mosley from Bama.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-09, 14:09

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

Barr wasn't even that highly touted. He has shown flashes, but being picked at 9 may be a big reach. He is probably not as good as Mosley from Bama.

Agree, Barr moved up and down a lot on mock draft boards. I think he's a boom-or-bust pick.

Last edited by Mentalstate on 2014-05-09, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 2014-05-09, 14:10

I didn't really pay attention to last season...how did the Lions pick out of BYU do?
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State 2014-05-09, 14:47

Mentalstate wrote:

When did Det have a solid record and look like one of the best teams in the league? When Sheffler, Burleson & Broyles were healthy. They went down, and Det went down too. The back-ups lead to Megatron being double and triple teamed, and the back-ups had a ton of huge 3rd down and TD drops, mainly Durham.

Det's D was not horrible, and was playing very well before the injuries on O. Macks broke it down:

"Lions defense was #16 in YPG allowed and #15 in PPG allowed. Middle of the pack.

Pass D was not great but not bottom of the barrel - #23 in passing YPG, #12 in completion %, #20 in YPA, #19 in opponent passer rating. Tied for #17 in INTs, tied for #13 in TDs allowed. Needs to improve, but people make it sound like we were giving up 40 points a game through the air.

Rush D was actually very good - #6 in YPG allowed, with under 100 (although #20 in YPA) and tied for 8th in rush TDs allowed."

And...this draft is not over.

A "bad" pick at 10 would have been Cooks or the LSU WR, or spewan. A good pick would have been Ebron, Martin (versatile OL) or a DB. Shazier is being put inside at LB, Det needed/needs a Barr/Macks type of outside backer who can also put a hand down. BTW, if Det drafted Martin, he probably doesn't even start this year, which kinda makes it a bad pick at 10.

Those stats are fairly meaningless. The Lions were 25th in the NFL in defensive yards per play. Just because the defense wasn't out there for as many plays as other teams does not mean that the D was middle of the pack. I'm sure you think the D-line is all world, so either the Lions are desperate for LB help (Shazier) or DB help (Dennard/Fuller/Clinton-Dix, etc.).

Also, just because the Lions were 4-2 through 6 games doesn't mean they were a good team. They beat the Vikings, Redskins, Bears, and Browns. Those teams went a combined 20-43-1.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-05-09, 14:51

WCS wrote:I didn't really pay attention to last season...how did the Lions pick out of BYU do?

Ansah was OK, was hurt here and there. Potential is there.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-09, 15:26

And the 49ers somehow manage to get Stevie Johnson for a 2015 conditional 4th.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-09, 16:11

sprtnbrn wrote:And the 49ers somehow manage to get Stevie Johnson for a 2015 conditional 4th.

Boldin last year for a 6th? 7th?

Everyone must call the 49ers last on the list of people to dump WR's on and then get away with highway robbery. Johnson was good a couple years ago, been beat up and had really shitty QB's lately.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Macks 2014-05-09, 17:08

Steve Johnson has a pretty big contract doesn't he?
Macks
Macks
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-09, 17:45

Macks wrote:Steve Johnson has a pretty big contract doesn't he?

Entering year three of a five-year, $36 million contract.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-09, 20:04

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

Ansah was OK, was hurt here and there. Potential is there.

Ziggy led all rookies in sacks. And Taylor was much better than where he was picked.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-09, 20:05

Those stats are fairly meaningless. The Lions were 25th in the NFL in defensive yards per play. Just because the defense wasn't out there for as many plays as other teams does not mean that the D was middle of the pack. I'm sure you think the D-line is all world, so either the Lions are desperate for LB help (Shazier) or DB help (Dennard/Fuller/Clinton-Dix, etc.).

Also, just because the Lions were 4-2 through 6 games doesn't mean they were a good team. They beat the Vikings, Redskins, Bears, and Browns. Those teams went a combined 20-43-1.

Looks like what I said is what it is, worked out perfectly so far for Det:

Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
Van Noy might not make it to No. 45, but if he does, many Lions fans will be clamoring for him to be the pick. The 6-foot-3, 243-pounder is a do-everything type of linebacker who can rush the passer from the line of scrimmage or drop back in coverage and not be a liability in the back end. He stuffed the stat sheet at BYU, finishing his collegiate career with 26 sacks, seven interceptions and 11 forced fumbles. He's one of the few choices in round 2 who could start right away in Detroit.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-05-10, 09:42

tOfficial 2014 NFL Draft thread - Page 5 BnO9s5HCQAAeX4J
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 2014-05-10, 10:56

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Max Bullough doesn't get drafted today, he won't ever be drafted in his life.

Big day for the big fella...
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-05-10, 12:38

I hope Nicos gets drafted
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate 2014-05-10, 12:41

2 Centers drafted in the first 11 picks of the 4th.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-10, 12:43

I wonder how people will react if Detroit takes one of the QB's with one of their round 4 compensatories. I think there's a good chance, they'll take Murray if he's out there.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-05-10, 12:53

Waiting for the Janis kid from SVSU to get the call. Funny his HS team, Tawas was beyond bad. But he used to win track meets almost single handed. Would win the jumping field events then win every sprint length running event.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-10, 12:55

sprtnbrn wrote:I wonder how people will react if Detroit takes one of the QB's with one of their round 4 compensatories. I think there's a good chance, they'll take Murray if he's out there.

I fully expect them to take a QB, the need something behind Stafford. Kellen Moore and Dan Orlovsky are not the answer.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-10, 12:57

MJ wrote:

I fully expect them to take a QB, the need something behind Stafford.   Kellen Moore and Dan Orlovsky are not the answer.

Oh I completely agree but I've already people complain about Swanson not being a need pick even though he's likely to start in 2015.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-10, 13:18

sprtnbrn wrote:

Oh I completely agree but I've already people complain about Swanson not being a need pick even though he's likely to start in 2015.

Swanson I'm okay with, filled a hole in the future. The part that drives me nuts if they haven't addressed the secondary at all, they got crushed down the stretch by QB's and it doesn't look or sound good for Chris Houston.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-05-10, 13:24

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m

Rams 3rd-rd pick, Utah St S Mo Alexander, spent year out of football as janitor @ Edward Jones Dome. Goes from cleaning it to playing in it.

Good Mo-mentum for Alexander.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-10, 13:35

Lions are about to have 3 of the next 20 picks. This will be interesting.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-10, 13:37

sprtnbrn wrote:Lions are about to have 3 of the next 20 picks. This will be interesting.

QB, DB, WR.

Not necessarily in that order, but those are the 3 positions they go.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-10, 13:42

MJ wrote:

QB, DB, WR.  

Not necessarily in that order, but those are the 3 positions they go.

I wouldn't be shocked by a DE.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-10, 13:44

sprtnbrn wrote:

I wouldn't be shocked by a DE.

QB - AJ McCarron, Tom Savage, Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray

WR - Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Brandon Coleman

MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-10, 13:47

And there is the CB, Nevin Laweson Utah State.

FINALLY!
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-10, 13:47

There's the corner. Austin must want a burner.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-10, 13:50

sprtnbrn wrote:There's the corner. Austin must want a burner.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent according to NFL.com.

Adequate-sized, talented, inconsistent cornerback with moldable tools and scheme versatility, though he requires polish and patience.

Hopefully they can teach him something.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-10, 13:53

DE Larry Webster

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5
BOTTOM LINE A gifted athlete with NFL pedigree and intriguing developmental tools as a speed rusher, Webster could prove to be better fit as a flex tight end in the pros, possessing more of an offensive temperament and the size, wingspan, athletic ability and coordination to create mismatches in a similar mold as Broncos TE Julius Thomas and Browns TE Jordan Cameron exiting college with limited football experience.

Flex Tight End? haha I hope they move him to TE, that will just be hilarious.

Last edited by MJ on 2014-05-10, 13:54; edited 1 time in total
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sprtnbrn 2014-05-10, 13:54

The Webster rumors were true. I'm guessing they think they can get the QB with the 5th rounder.
sprtnbrn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next