Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.

+15
Rod Porkmore
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
Floyd Robertson
xsanguine
Blanch32
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Dendrobates
The_Dude
Ass Dan
tGreenWay
tTy
Turtleneck
19 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.  - Page 5 Empty Re: American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 01:22

Turtleneck wrote: I am not sure why Port Huron makes your list considering it has a population of less than 40,000.

Because I lived there and did fairly well in my short time there.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.  - Page 5 Empty Re: American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 01:27

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote: I am not sure why Port Huron makes your list considering it has a population of less than 40,000.

I lived there for a while, too. I am glad you did well, but if you look at the data it is not exactly a hotbed of economic opportunity. Travis is right. You are ignoring a lot of macro trends to make your points.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 01:29

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm going to bed but here's a thing. This is not uncommon for an "entry level" position. This is the kind of shit these dudes are facing to break into their careers. It's tougher than it was for you. Or for me.

"You better have 4-5 years of experience and also know literally everything about this job for this entry level position."

American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.  - Page 5 Image15

Wow. Sounds like great people to work for. Fuck those guys. Too bad we can't out them for the assholes they are.  

That's what I was thinking

Someone with those skills that has any sliver of ambition could be making 5 times that doing their own thing.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 01:34

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I lived there for a while, too. I am glad you did well, but if you look at the data it is not exactly a hotbed of economic opportunity. Travis is right. You are ignoring a lot of macro trends to make your points.

It's not bad in the summer. The winters there are depressing, eh? There seems to be a higher percentage of low lifes there that spend their days staring at the bottom of a bottle.

Wherever there are people that live and work... there are needs. That's all I'm saying.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 01:37

xsanguine wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You're pretty obsessed with micro economics and not at all considering macro. You can't just have every single educated person move to one centralized location. It's better if they, oh I don't know, live with their parents for a few years to establish themselves because they can't afford it out of school, but stay separated. Both for their long term future and for society's.

I think you've lost sight of your original point here xsang.

There are many centralized locations, though. Not everyone in the country has to move to one place. Not everyone in the state has to move to GR, Detroit or Lansing.

I'm not concerned with macro/micro economics. I've never paid attention to that type of stuff. I pay attention to what can I buy at a low enough cost and who is willing to buy it at a higher cost. Or, do I have a video that's getting a lot of views that I can get advertisers to pay me to use my space? Or, how many businesses need a website that don't realize websites are just made with templates nowadays?

I don't feel like getting caught up in whatever reason you're trying to tell me I can't make money for myself with.
But apparently the "not real world" has been pretty good to me so far. So I'll continue to operate in the world that doesn't exist and let everyone else complain about the "real world" if it's really as bad as you guys are saying it is.

Yeah, I get into a lot of discussions about 4-3 defenses but generally don't concern myself with knowing anything about football.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-25, 01:39

xsanguine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Wow. Sounds like great people to work for. Fuck those guys. Too bad we can't out them for the assholes they are.  

Someone with those skills that has any sliver of ambition could be making 5 times that doing their own thing.

I can't stand employers with attitudes like that. They'll never get the best work from their people and they sure as hell aren't building any loyalty. And I agree that someone going out in their own will do eons better, but as I said earlier, it's just too much pressure or overwhelming for some people. My wife and I each ventured off in our respective areas and it has turned out well, but for some, they think the risk is too great.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 01:40

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It's not bad in the summer. The winters there are depressing, eh? There seems to be a higher percentage of low lifes there that spend their days staring at the bottom of a bottle.

Wherever there are people that live and work... there are needs. That's all I'm saying.

It's an OK place year around. I like The Raven as far as coffee shops go. Some good lake kayaking up the shore toward Harbor Beach.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-25, 01:41

I'm checking out of this thread for the night. It's too late for me to engage in serious discussions. I'm going to find someone talking about boobs. Or Bobs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 01:41

tGreenWay wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I can't stand employers with attitudes like that. They'll never get the best work from their people and they sure as hell aren't building any loyalty. And I agree that someone going out in their own will do eons better, but as I said earlier, it's just too much pressure or overwhelming for some people. My wife and I each ventured off in our respective areas and it has turned out well, but for some, they think the risk is too great.

Yeah, she ventured off into my area earlier today...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-25, 01:43

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yeah, she ventured off into my area earlier today...

She said you were the first guy she's ever had who couldn't get it up, and when you finally did, she didn't realize you were inside when you'd already finished. Poor guy. And I thought I was tiny.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 01:48

What are you talking about? That is so gross. She came over for coffee and we talked about her aunt Linda's cat and pinochle strategies. Gosh. Don't be so jealous, Greenway. She would never step out on you.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-25, 02:02

Turtleneck wrote:What are you talking about? That is so gross. She came over for coffee and we talked about her aunt Linda's cat and pinochle strategies. Gosh. Don't be so jealous, Greenway. She would never step out on you.

I said goodnight, Turtleneck.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 09:52

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

There are many centralized locations, though. Not everyone in the country has to move to one place. Not everyone in the state has to move to GR, Detroit or Lansing.

I'm not concerned with macro/micro economics. I've never paid attention to that type of stuff. I pay attention to what can I buy at a low enough cost and who is willing to buy it at a higher cost. Or, do I have a video that's getting a lot of views that I can get advertisers to pay me to use my space? Or, how many businesses need a website that don't realize websites are just made with templates nowadays?

I don't feel like getting caught up in whatever reason you're trying to tell me I can't make money for myself with.
But apparently the "not real world" has been pretty good to me so far. So I'll continue to operate in the world that doesn't exist and let everyone else complain about the "real world" if it's really as bad as you guys are saying it is.

Yeah, I get into a lot of discussions about 4-3 defenses but generally don't concern myself with knowing anything about football.

So then would it matter if you're still a starter on the team? Apparently they must know something if they're successful at the game...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 09:52

The Raven is the shit. Never had a better chai tea in my life. Saddat Hussein now owns the place from what I understand.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 11:00

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

So then would it matter if you're still a starter on the team? Apparently they must know something if they're successful at the game...

The point was you are having a discussion about broad economic trends but saying you do not concern yourself with what informs those trends. I'm not sure that makes sense.

As to your response...

American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.  - Page 5 220px-Matt_Millen_NFL_Network

Fantastic individual player. When put in a situation where he had to have a broader understanding of the game, he was a complete failure. Being a successful individual player did not give him any significant insight to the broader aspects of the game.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 11:01

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

The point was you are having a discussion about broad economic trends but saying you do not concern yourself with what informs those trends. I'm not sure that makes sense.

As to your response...

American millennials are getting their ass kicked by Canada.  - Page 5 220px-Matt_Millen_NFL_Network

Fantastic individual player. When put in a situation where he had to have a broader understanding of the game, he was a complete failure.

Well if earning that much money is considered a failure... I'm ready to fail for the rest of my life.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 11:03

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

As to your response...

Fantastic individual player. When put in a situation where he had to have a broader understanding of the game, he was a complete failure.  

Well if earning that much money is considered a failure... I'm ready to fail for the rest of my life.

Either you're completely missing the point or changing the subject. Maybe a little from column A and column B?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 11:09

I wasn't really trying to have a conversation about broad economic trends. My entire point was contesting the idea that millenials are staying home with their parents because the people that owe them a paycheck aren't giving them what they believe they're entitled to because they spent all this money at a university and that somehow guarantees them a living. You don't need to have a degree in economics to learn and understand how to make money for yourself outside of the machine.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 11:22

xsanguine wrote:I wasn't really trying to have a conversation about broad economic trends. My entire point was contesting the idea that millenials are staying home with their parents because the people that owe them a paycheck aren't giving them what they believe they're entitled to because they spent all this money at a university and that somehow guarantees them a living. You don't need to have a degree in economics to learn and understand how to make money for yourself outside of the machine.

Simply dismissing economic trends is convenient and sure makes your perspective really easy to defend. I also enjoy the contradiction that is the first and last sentences of your post.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 11:55

Tell me in depth how much you enjoy it. What trend is that an example of?

You can dismiss the perspective all you want but it's always been pretty simple to me. I never liked relying on someone else for my living. That's my journey... If someone doesn't mind relying on someone else or a corporation for their living then that's fine, do you, but to take that mindset and then complain when it's not working out and that for some reason it "has to because I spent all this money partying every weekend" seems a bit entitled in my view.

We disagree on it. You sound like you have success doing things your way and I applaud you for that. I've done alright doing things my way and I'll continue doing that until it doesn't work anymore (and I've run into things where they've stopped working and so you adjust). I'm just offering my perspective that there's another way outside of the machine and it takes a changing of the mindset.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-25, 12:14

as long as millennials are carrying guns - and don't get too close to black people.. I feel pretty good about their future.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 12:35

Bob, how do you feel about immigration?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-25, 12:36

xsanguine wrote:Bob, how do you feel about immigration?
meh.. I don't mind it.

I'm really REALLY white.. so I suppose someone immigrated on my behalf years ago.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 12:39

Me too.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-25, 12:46

xsanguine wrote:Me too.
the way I look at it is that my arsenal of guns and bookshelves full of bibles protect me from anything the brown people can do to me.

it just gives me that feeling of contentment and peace at night, ya know?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 12:51

From what I've read most crime comes from naturally born citizens, EL insulates you from a lot of the shitheads but if you're ever feeling adventurous rent a house on the side streets off Baker between Cedar and Penn. Just by appearance (and probably by every other measure), you won't have much in common with your neighbors...

There's bad apples in any group but most immigrants are just trying to get the fuck out of the hell hole this country has had a large part in creating.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-25, 13:00

xsanguine wrote:From what I've read most crime comes from naturally born citizens, EL insulates you from a lot of the shitheads but if you're ever feeling adventurous rent a house on the side streets off Baker between Cedar and Penn. Just by appearance (and probably by every other measure), you won't have much in common with your neighbors...

There's bad apples in any group but most immigrants are just trying to get the fuck out of the hell hole this country has had a large part in creating.
they should really look to jesus.

barring that, a good handgun usually works.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 13:14

Jesus seems okay. I'm a little skeptical on his whole story but as stories goes he seems to be a better role model than say... Muhammad.

Are we taking a turn to another topic? Cause that's my specialty...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 13:21

xsanguine wrote:Tell me in depth how much you enjoy it. What trend is that an example of?

You can dismiss the perspective all you want but it's always been pretty simple to me. I never liked relying on someone else for my living.

Uhh....

xsanguine wrote:

We're talking about millenials, though, right?

Edit: Find investors, kickstarter, gofundme, borrow, work a job and save every dime you have instead of going out on the weekends. Yes, it's hard and takes will power... but anything is going to be hard if you're raised thinking your lot in life is to find someone else to pay your living to do something easy from 9-5..

...most of the ways you suggest making it in today's economy requires relying on others...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 13:29

This conversation has become quite convoluted.

You're right, Turtleneck. Everything is too hard in today's economy. It's too complicated unlike years past.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 13:38

xsanguine wrote:This conversation has become quite convoluted.

You're right, Turtleneck. Everything is too hard in today's economy. It's too complicated unlike years past.

Sorry I pointed out some contradictions. It will not happen again.

Edit: I like doing battle with you. Nothing personal. I will even buy you one of those Melting Moments ice cream sandwich things at Spartan Stadium. Bob will get nothing and like it.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-25, 13:49

I'm a walking contradiction and a self-described dummy. I'm going to have to tell my daughter that the economy is too hard to live in and therefore she needs to stay at home and wait for a call to become an employee number in a system. Wink

I enjoy battling with you, too and cannot help but be aggravating =D. Can I have Bob's ice cream sandwich? I've never gotten anything except popcorn and soda at SS... Everyone raves about those things, though.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 13:55

xsanguine wrote:I'm a walking contradiction and a self-described dummy. I'm going to have to tell my daughter that the economy is too hard to live in and therefore she needs to stay at home and wait for a call to become an employee number in a system. Wink

I enjoy battling with you, too and cannot help but be aggravating =D. Can I have Bob's ice cream sandwich? I've never gotten anything except popcorn and soda at SS... Everyone raves about those things, though.

I am buying you the ice cream sandwich. I am not buying Bob anything. Bob has made it big as a sideline reporter now. He forgot about the little people that helped him along the way.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-25, 14:03

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I'm a walking contradiction and a self-described dummy. I'm going to have to tell my daughter that the economy is too hard to live in and therefore she needs to stay at home and wait for a call to become an employee number in a system. Wink

I am buying you the ice cream sandwich. I am not buying Bob anything. Bob has made it big as a sideline reporter now. He forgot about the little people that helped him along the way.
hey - don't be hatin' just because I live-reported from the Tin Can and the south endzone of the spring game.. it took everything I had to stay through the first quarter.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 14:05

Remember when Bob posted on a Saturday...from a mobile device? Those were the days.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-25, 14:08

Turtleneck wrote:Remember when Bob posted on a Saturday...from a mobile device? Those were the days.
in my defense, I had been drinking.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 14:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Remember when Bob posted on a Saturday...from a mobile device? Those were the days.
in my defense, I had been drinking.

It was the spring game. The highlight of the year. The Kentucky Derby of East Lansing. Who was not drinking?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-25, 14:14

That was back when he was trying to make something of himself.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-25, 14:19

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:in my defense, I had been drinking.

It was the spring game. The highlight of the year. The Kentucky Derby of East Lansing. Who was not drinking?
it made for some good people watching.

I was walking toward Spartan Stadium and saw a guy wearing jorts, an MSU tshirt and some sort of video camera strapped to his head..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-25, 14:31

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

it made for some good people watching.

I was walking toward Spartan Stadium and saw a guy wearing jorts, an MSU tshirt and some sort of video camera strapped to his head..

I wonder what his RCMB name is?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next