Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Ramblings

+28
Herbie Green
CheesySpartan
InTenSity
Nordic
TheReal_LWS
CORNER BLITZ
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
Motown Spartan
Stoops21
Clarett's Folly
Mentalstate
Dendrobates
Turtleneck
Death Roe
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
y2kMgrad
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
xsanguine
DWags
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
32 posters

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Random Ramblings - Page 18 Empty Re: Random Ramblings

Post by DWags 2017-03-16, 22:40

The Pantry wrote:"A seismic shift of stuff is underway in homes all over America.

Members of the generation that once embraced sex, drugs and rock-and-roll are trying to offload their place settings for 12, family photo albums and leather sectionals.

Their offspring don’t want them.

As baby boomers, born between 1946 and 1964, start cleaning out attics and basements, many are discovering that millennials, born between 1980 and 2000, are not so interested in the lifestyle trappings or nostalgic memorabilia they were so lovingly raised with.

Thanks, Mom, but I really can’t use that eight-foot dining table or your king-size headboard.

Whether becoming empty nesters, downsizing or just finally embracing the decluttering movement, boomers are taking a good close look at the things they have spent their life collecting. Auction houses, consignment stores and thrift shops are flooded with merchandise, much of it made of brown wood. Downsizing experts and professional organizers are comforting parents whose children appear to have lost any sentimental attachment to their adorable baby shoes and family heirloom quilts.

To make matters worse, young adults don’t seem to want their own college textbooks, sports trophies or T-shirt collections, still entombed in plastic containers at their parents’ homes.

The 20- and 30-somethings don’t appear to be defined by their possessions, other than their latest-generation cellphones."

Stuff it: Millennials nix their parents’ treasures

This, definitely this. Two daughters don't give a shit about family heirlooms. Dont' want, aren't interested in it's histroy, or if they are they're just kind of faking it cause they're polite. (Only saying this from my experience, I'm not speaking for everyone's kids)
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-16, 23:59

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:"A seismic shift of stuff is underway in homes all over America.

Members of the generation that once embraced sex, drugs and rock-and-roll are trying to offload their place settings for 12, family photo albums and leather sectionals.

Their offspring don’t want them.

As baby boomers, born between 1946 and 1964, start cleaning out attics and basements, many are discovering that millennials, born between 1980 and 2000, are not so interested in the lifestyle trappings or nostalgic memorabilia they were so lovingly raised with.

Thanks, Mom, but I really can’t use that eight-foot dining table or your king-size headboard.

Whether becoming empty nesters, downsizing or just finally embracing the decluttering movement, boomers are taking a good close look at the things they have spent their life collecting. Auction houses, consignment stores and thrift shops are flooded with merchandise, much of it made of brown wood. Downsizing experts and professional organizers are comforting parents whose children appear to have lost any sentimental attachment to their adorable baby shoes and family heirloom quilts.

To make matters worse, young adults don’t seem to want their own college textbooks, sports trophies or T-shirt collections, still entombed in plastic containers at their parents’ homes.

The 20- and 30-somethings don’t appear to be defined by their possessions, other than their latest-generation cellphones."

Stuff it: Millennials nix their parents’ treasures

This, definitely this. Two daughters don't give a shit about family heirlooms. Dont' want, aren't interested in it's histroy, or if they are they're just kind of faking it cause they're polite. (Only saying this from my experience, I'm not speaking for everyone's kids)

But hasn't that been true of most kids in their 20s and 30s in every generation? I didn't GAS about family stuff I could've taken before it was donated or given to someone else. Now, there are several things I'd wished I'd taken and found a place to store.
IDK, maybe it's different now because so much of the things made today are disposable, free of any uniqueness, and/or just crap (especially if it's not Scottish).
I still think they'll regret their decisions when they hit 40-ish and begin getting nostalgic.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-17, 15:11

I guess because of my age I qualify as a Millennial but I don't fit the characteristics at all. I took in a lot of my families heirlooms and have them on display throughout my house.  My sister took every old photo while I took a lot of miscellaneous shit.  I need to do something with my old trophies though.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-03-17, 15:25

I guess I'm more of a millennial in this sense. My Dad died and I threw away or offloaded easily 95% of his stuff. My mom asks if I want this or that from growing up and it's always a hard pass.
People drown in their own clutter. The wife's grandpa passed and we spent a week in Arizona just filling dumpster after dumpster with junk. National Geographic subscriptions from time immemorial, every VHS tape or DVD known to man, just ridiculous amounts of shit he probably acquired and never looked at twice. Oh... and nearly $6,000 in loose change.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-17, 15:31

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

This, definitely this.  Two daughters don't give a shit about family heirlooms.   Dont' want, aren't interested in it's histroy, or if they are they're just kind of faking it cause they're polite.   (Only saying this from my experience, I'm not speaking for everyone's kids)

But hasn't that been true of most kids in their 20s and 30s in every generation? I didn't GAS about family stuff I could've taken before it was donated or given to someone else. Now, there are several things I'd wished I'd taken and found a place to store.
IDK, maybe it's different now because so much of the things made today are disposable, free of any uniqueness, and/or just crap (especially if it's not Scottish).
I still think they'll regret their decisions when they hit 40-ish and begin getting nostalgic.  

I think there's a lot of truth to that.  When I was in my 30s I didn't give a hoot about any of that stuff.  Hell, I gave away about 300 vinyl albums because CDs had some along.  I began to regret that decision about five years ago.

I can only hope that my kids value some of the stuff I plan on leaving them. I have seven antique clocks, a couple that I know have been in the family since the 1880s, others that my grandfather began collecting later in his own life but equally as old.  I'd be disappointed if my kids didn't value them, but the problem is he passed when they were 5 and 7, so they obviously don't have many memories of him.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-03-17, 15:32

You guys want to check out my Gus macker trophy collection ?

Random Ramblings - Page 18 502811600

Vintage family shit is cool. Certain shit should be let go.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-17, 15:35

Clarett's Folly wrote:I guess I'm more of a millennial in this sense. My Dad died and I threw away or offloaded easily 95% of his stuff. My mom asks if I want this or that from growing up and it's always a hard pass.
People drown in their own clutter. The wife's grandpa passed and we spent a week in Arizona just filling dumpster after dumpster with junk. National Geographic subscriptions from time immemorial, every VHS tape or DVD known to man, just ridiculous amounts of shit he probably acquired and never looked at twice. Oh... and nearly $6,000 in loose change.

I think I recycled a couple hundred pounds of Nat Geo when my grandpa passed, and went through about 20 boxes of paperwork and found a couple envelopes of cash, about 3,000 in small face 100's
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-17, 18:54

Daughter announced her next contract yesterday on FB.  She leaves again in a couple weeks for rehearsals.  

Navigator of the Seas is not RC's biggest ship now but still a damn big boat.  About as long as an aircraft carrier but displaces 30,000 tons more.

Random Ramblings - Page 18 Naviga10
Random Ramblings - Page 18 Naviga11

Based in Southampton UK for summer/fall then returns to Miami for the winter.  Contract is 10 months, her longest so far.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-17, 20:40

btw...less than 8 years before she is technically eligible to run for POTUS

Random Ramblings - Page 18 2v7wjd10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-17, 20:42

The Pantry wrote:btw...less than 8 years before she is technically eligible to run for POTUS

Random Ramblings - Page 18 2v7wjd10

Shocked I love you

Last edited by MattyFresh on 2017-03-17, 20:43; edited 1 time in total
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-17, 20:42

The Pantry wrote:Daughter announced her next contract yesterday on FB.  She leaves again in a couple weeks for rehearsals.  
Navigator of the Seas is not RC's biggest ship now but still a damn big boat.  About as long as an aircraft carrier but displaces 30,000 tons more.
Based in Southampton UK for summer/fall then returns to Miami for the winter.  Contract is 10 months, her longest so far.

Sounds like she's going to be hanging out with a lot of furriners.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-17, 20:50

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Daughter announced her next contract yesterday on FB.  She leaves again in a couple weeks for rehearsals.  

Sounds like she's going to be hanging out with a lot of furriners.

Her foreign policy is sound. Has visited every continent but Antarctica, leaving goodwill everywhere she has been.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-22, 04:35

R.I.P., Chuck Barris.

Random Ramblings - Page 18 Chuck_barris
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-22, 15:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:R.I.P., Chuck Barris.

The KGB was finally able to silence him.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-22, 17:22

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:R.I.P., Chuck Barris.

I forgot about the whole KGB thing. Maybe their successors the FSB actually did get him. Maybe they got Chuck Berry and Chuck Barris just days apart.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-22, 17:51

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I forgot about the whole KGB thing. Maybe their successors the FSB actually did get him. Maybe they got Chuck Berry and Chuck Barris just days apart.
Maybe Berry died due to mistaken identity Random Ramblings - Page 18 2599972566
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-22, 17:55

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Maybe Berry died due to mistaken identity Random Ramblings - Page 18 2599972566

Kind the direction I was going in. FSB realizes they f'd and then got their real target.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-22, 18:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Maybe Berry died due to mistaken identity Random Ramblings - Page 18 2599972566

Kind the direction I was going in. FSB realizes they f'd and then got their real target.

Those sonsabitches killed rock-n-roll!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-22, 20:59

Detroit goat yoga, yep that's a thing
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-22, 22:21

Have not ordered from there in months but today turned into Oaxaca (pronounced "wah-ha-ka") Wednesday.

A project manager at my place use to live in Texas and speaks fluent Mexican.  He called there this morning and got them to make a couple orders of something not on their menu...basically a scramble of eggs and chorizo with pico, beans, seasoned rice, and fresh warm flour tortillas on the side.  Was awesome.

Daughter has been pretty busy the last few weeks before she leaves.  Called today to say she was free for dinner tonight.  Immediately thought Oaxaca because she'd never had anything from there.  My two sons showed up too.  Shredded beef, shrimp, chorizo, tilapia, and pastor tacos...all excellent.  

Oaxaca is one of Troy's little secrets.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-22, 22:29

The Pantry wrote:Have not ordered from there in months but today turned into Oaxaca (pronounced "wah-ha-ka") Wednesday.

A project manager at my place use to live in Texas and speaks fluent Mexican.  He called there this morning and got them to make a couple orders of something not on their menu...basically a scramble of eggs and chorizo with pico, beans, seasoned rice, and fresh warm flour tortillas on the side.  Was awesome.

Daughter has been pretty busy the last few weeks before she leaves.  Called today to say she was free for dinner tonight.  Immediately thought Oaxaca because she'd never had anything from there.  My two sons showed up too.  Shredded beef, shrimp, chorizo, tilapia, and pastor tacos...all excellent.  

Good for you to have the mini reunion before she's off on her long trip. Was the food good tonight too?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-22, 23:10

LooseGoose wrote:Good for you to have the mini reunion before she's off on her long trip. Was the food good tonight too?
Oaxaca is always good. My only gripe is the food is sometimes too salty.

Very weird day. Got an envelope from my niece in VA that looked like a wedding invitation. Turned out to be "save the day" card indicating a possible wedding date. WTF is that?

UM daughter told me she was engaged just before Christmas with no plans set. Cruise daughter told me tonight that the wedding is scheduled for next January on a Mexican cruise on her ship. My UM daughter is very bright but very strange. Would have been nice to hear the plan from her.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-03-22, 23:23

I agree, not sure if I mentioned it in another thread, but that place is very solid. It will probably be closed and gone within a couple years due to the weird location sadly.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-22, 23:29

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I agree, not sure if I mentioned it in another thread, but that place is very solid. It will probably be closed and gone within a couple years due to the weird location sadly.
Must be doing okay as an authentic Mexican place without the bother of driving downtown. The carne asada tacos started out a $9, then jumped to $10, and are now $12.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-23, 01:42

The Pantry wrote:Have not ordered from there in months but today turned into Oaxaca (pronounced "wah-ha-ka") Wednesday.

Thanks for this. Never heard of this place.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-23, 09:24

It's mostly a carryout place.  Only has 5 or 6 tables. No beer or booze
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-23, 22:04

Took a massive dump 30 minutes ago. It is stinking up the place big time. One of my true masterpieces. Random Ramblings - Page 18 502811600
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-23, 22:05

Death Roe wrote:Took a massive dump 30 minutes ago. It is stinking up the place big time. One of my true masterpieces. Random Ramblings - Page 18 502811600
you should wipe next time
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-23, 22:08

I use the bidet and booty wipes. I have the cleanest ass on the Swill.

Maybe except for WBH, he's a bidet man as well.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-23, 22:12

Death Roe wrote:I use the bidet and booty wipes. I have the cleanest ass on the Swill.

I am also a bidet man, i didn't know i was surrounded by such classy gents
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-23, 22:13

We should make a private bidet users sub forum.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-23, 22:15

Death Roe wrote:We should make a private bidet users sub forum.

as long as we get custom lapel pins
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-03-23, 22:30

Wipes will ruin your pipes!

Do not believe the "flushable" bs.

Bidet that shit until you can pat it clean with tp.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-23, 22:33

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Wipes will ruin your pipes!

That's just what BIG TOILET PAPER wants you to believe.

(no seriously, I use TP after the bidet. Nice, clean and dry.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-23, 23:11

Only poops that really stink are the big ones that create an island rising above the waterline.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-23, 23:21

The Pantry wrote:Only poops that really stink are the big ones that create an island rising above the waterline.

I usually only get those after having a topopo from EL Az.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-23, 23:22

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Wipes will ruin your pipes!

We have this discussion whenever someone mentions booty wipes. We know not to flush them. I said WE KNOW, goddamnit!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-23, 23:26

Death Roe wrote:I use the bidet and booty wipes. I have the cleanest ass on the Swill.

Negative. The cleanest is tp and then a hop in the shower. Second would be any process that concludes with booty wipes.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-24, 12:06

Welp I've had this Iphone 6 for about a year and 9 months, I take good care of my electronics and this thing has never been dropped or anything but the fucker just died, won't take a charge, turn on nadda. Smart people at Sprint confirmed my thinking and asked if I have insurance on it... DOH! I've sold off my previous androids and iphones but found my moms old Iphone 4 I was supposed to fix the cracked screen on... never did that but I have a cracked screen Iphone 4 for probably 3 months... fml
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-24, 12:21

MattyFresh wrote:Welp I've had this Iphone 6 for about a year and 9 months, I take good care of my electronics and this thing has never been dropped or anything but the fucker just died, won't take a charge, turn on nadda. Smart people at Sprint confirmed my thinking and asked if I have insurance on it... DOH! I've sold off my previous androids and iphones but found my moms old Iphone 4 I was supposed to fix the cracked screen on... never did that but I have a cracked screen Iphone 4 for probably 3 months... fml

You can always put your cell phone on your home owners or renters insurance.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next