Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

serious question....

+17
SomeFanName
Rocinante
SeeRockCity
Robert J Sakimano
tanfan!
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
TheReal_LWS
Blanch32
NigelUno
Cameron
Frank Ricard
Turtleneck
DWags
pulling69
Other Teams Pursuing That
tTy
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

serious question.... - Page 4 Empty Re: serious question....

Post by DWags 02/11/16, 05:55 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Cameron wrote:

This. I can barely be bothered to post most of the time and I still put out a couple paragraphs of musings. Let it rip.

No one listens to anyone else so why bother?

I'm in between I guess. Ty loves to be an asshole on the internet. To Dwags point, he's not like that in real life. In fact, he's a sweetheart. He's met InTen, InTen has respectfully asked him to not use the r word. Ty has refrained. It's hard to marry his point in the OP to his real life persona because it doesn't work. I suspect like OTPT hypothesizes, he's letting social media get to him a little bit.

Truth is, I don't think white people (or anyone other than those targeted by certain words/actions/mascots/logos/etc) get to decide what is offensive to those targeted. Some are no brainers, but there are very few of those. I would not even call "The Redskins" as a no brainer. So I'ma sit that fight out. There are those natives/Indians who support the shit out of it. Seems like a lot of white people make a majority of the noise.

I can see the point of someone getting irritated at the white knighters (pun intended) trying to set the political correctness level for all. That's bullshit. Let those who are offended by it explain why it's offensive. And if they can prove that, and others refuse to oblige....to Roci's point - that makes them assholes.

I kind of get a bit tired of the whole "people say that on the internet but they aren't like that in real life" stuff, but it certainly is a great fall back defense for a lot of people.  Which is fine.  I certainly know it's used by a shit ton of people.

That girl that just got expelled from MSU certainly used that, and that's a whole different debate.  She was just joking and I hear she's not like that in real life. That's probably way more significant of a debate than a bunch of us arguing about some guy dressed like an Indian. This girls life, though not ruined, has been drastically changed.  Her mom and many others have said she's not like that in real life and is frankly the opposite of it, so maybe that's more worthy of an intellectual debate.  Or even by idiots like us on the internet.

Thing is, I suspect that, over the years and thousands of posts on message boards that, with few exceptions, many of us are exactly like our personas on the internet, or pretty damn close. But I do realize there are exceptions.  Without doubt.

Thing is, I'm all in for however you want to be in life.   But I've always been a guy who really wants you to follow through with it. If you say Pat Tillman was a dumb ass, be willing to say it to his brother.  If you think a joke is funny, be willing to say it anywhere. If you're not willing to do that shit, then take a step back and figure out why you're not willing to do it.

Fuck, I don't know, I guess you're right, nobody fucking listens or cares what we're saying here. We all are trying to put each other in our shoebox. Truth is, that would suck too.

Last edited by DWags on 02/11/16, 08:19 am; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 02/11/16, 06:26 am

Rocinante wrote:It doesn't matter what you think is reasonable. There's only one test. If you wouldn't feel COMPLETELY comfortable walking into a room full of people of that culture/religion/gender identity/race/socio-economic position saying or doing the thing you are thinking about saying or doing, don't do it. Even then, some things you do or say will be offensive, and when they are, you say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend" and you fucking stop.

If you don't live your life this way expect to be judged and told you're an asshole.
This I completely agree with. And I would add Camerons point to that about if it would piss off a majority of a group. There are degrees/levels of offense. Common sense is enough for most people to know that line. But this thread is a good example of when the line can be different for different people.

But, let me ask you, would you feel comfortable walking into a room full of Trump supporters and saying things that you post here about him? (and no, I did not vote for Trump when I early voted last week. Not in a million years). I wouldn't cause they they're lunatics and would probably kill me....I wouldn't tell them that either.

Edit: Regarding my first paragraph, I shouldn't really say that something has to offend a majority of people, as if 51% is some arbitrary number. I don't know where to set the percentage.

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on 02/11/16, 06:40 am; edited 1 time in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 02/11/16, 06:30 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Rocinante wrote:It doesn't matter what you think is reasonable. There's only one test. If you wouldn't feel COMPLETELY comfortable walking into a room full of people of that culture/religion/gender identity/race/socio-economic position saying or doing the thing you are thinking about saying or doing, don't do it. Even then, some things you do or say will be offensive, and when they are, you say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend" and you fucking stop.

If you don't live your life this way expect to be judged and told you're an asshole.
This I completely agree with. And I would add Camerons point to that about if it would piss off a majority of a group. There are degrees/levels of offense. Common sense is enough for most people to know that line. But this thread is a good example of when the line can be different for different people.

But, let me ask you, would you feel comfortable walking into a room full of Trump supporters and saying things that you post here about him? (and no, I did not vote for Trump when I early voted last week. Not in a million years). I wouldn't cause they they're lunatics and would probably kill me....I wouldn't tell them that either.

It's funny you say that Miami. I think in politics it's the one place that many people would. I've told Trump supporters I think he's a misogynistic mad man. I think people do that without blinking an eye.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 02/11/16, 06:50 am

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

It's funny you say that Miami. I think in politics it's the one place that many people would. I've told Trump supporters I think he's a misogynistic mad man. I think people do that without blinking an eye.
Good point. Politics is all about mutual offending.

Having an opinion means you'll probably offend people at some point.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 02/11/16, 10:40 am

I absolutely would say the things I say about trump here to a group of his supporters. Some of the things I have said about his supporters, I probably wouldn't. So yeah, in that sense, a little hypocritical.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4