Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-11, 16:18

Out driving mid afternoon and came across two intersections 10 miles apart where the lights were out, so TIL that people have basically forgotten how to treat the situation as a four-way stop.

It was equal parts frustrating and funny.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by DWags 2017-10-11, 16:27

Floyd Robertson wrote:Out driving mid afternoon and came across two intersections 10 miles apart where the lights were out, so TIL that people have basically forgotten how to treat the situation as a four-way stop.

It's not a four way stop Floyd.   I know, I know, it freaks me out too.   My whole life I'm thinking "four way stop".  It's not.  It's the "main" street that has the right of way.   So.... ask me what happens at 16 and gratiot..... seems like death to me.  That's what happens. But the rule is not a four way stop.  Me and my family will continue to treat it as such.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-11, 16:30

Most people believe the intersection becomes a "four-way stop." Michigan State Police is here to remind you: That's wrong.
"The intersection reverts back to the basic right-of-way requirements, not a four-way stop," MSP Metro Detroit tweeted Tuesday, 

here's their thought process:  If you treat it as a four way stop, it might cause massive traffic jams.   A four way yield keeps stuff moving.  Or people dying
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-11, 16:44

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Out driving mid afternoon and came across two intersections 10 miles apart where the lights were out, so TIL that people have basically forgotten how to treat the situation as a four-way stop.

It's not a four way stop Floyd.   I know, I know, it freaks me out too.   My whole life I'm thinking "four way stop".  It's not.  It's the "main" street that has the right of way.   So.... ask me what happens at 16 and gratiot..... seems like death to me.  That's what happens. But the rule is not a four way stop.  Me and my family will continue to treat it as such.
Hard to tell whether Big Beaver or Adams is the "main" street really. Four way stop seems much safer.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-11, 16:58

DWags wrote:Most people believe the intersection becomes a "four-way stop." Michigan State Police is here to remind you: That's wrong.
"The intersection reverts back to the basic right-of-way requirements, not a four-way stop," MSP Metro Detroit tweeted Tuesday, 

here's their thought process:  If you treat it as a four way stop, it might cause massive traffic jams.   A four way yield keeps stuff moving.  Or people dying

TIL this. ^^^

Not that I like it. Four way stops make more sense even if it causes backups on large arteries. Also, fuck the MSP.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-11, 16:59

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

Hard to tell whether Big Beaver or Adams is the "main" street really. Four way stop seems much safer.

I always go very slowly through Big Beaver.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-11, 17:00

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Extreme caution, slippery when wet.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-11, 17:32

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

There is no way I'd ever treat it as anything but a four way stop. Ima be that asshole that causes a jam.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-11, 17:32

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

That's exit 69.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-10-19, 17:53

gHost Spartan wrote:TIL that Apple AirPods will survive going through a clothes washing machine and dryer. Just need to recharge them after they fall out of the dryer onto the laundry room floor.

Pics of wife's sexy underwear?

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 3434560931
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-11, 23:26

Been a helluva long time since last watching the movie MASH. Ending on Sundance now and getting replayed immediately afterward.

First time realizing Gary Burghoff (Radar) was in both the movie and TV series.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-11-11, 23:35

Wait, it's not a 4 way stop? Serious?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-17, 10:28

73 years ago today

The 101st Airborne started loading trucks to leave for Bastogne
General George Patton started turning his armies north to pinch the Bulge.

RIP to the men lost there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-17, 10:53

LooseGoose wrote:73 years ago today

The 101st Airborne started loading trucks to leave for Bastogne
General George Patton started turning his armies north to pinch the Bulge.

RIP to the men lost there.

My Uncle Bill was with them.  RIP
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-01-27, 19:25

Historical Pics@HistoricalPics 1h1 hour ago
More
As of yesterday the Berlin wall has been down as long as it was up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-27, 19:29

LooseGoose wrote:Historical Pics@HistoricalPics 1h1 hour ago
More

Ouch.

When it came down my brothers room mate at UofM was covering it for the freep. Roddy Ray. He sent me a hunk. I’ll be damned if I know where it is. I think my moms.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-01-27, 19:42

DWags wrote:
More

Ouch.

When it came down my brothers room mate at UofM was covering it for the freep. Roddy Ray. He sent me a hunk. I’ll be damned if I know where it is. I think my moms.

I bought a hunk through the NPR gift shop. Have no idea where that is, either. I do have a hunk of the old Spartan Home dugout when Kobs Field was redone. It has green paint on it, just like my Berlin Wall chunk.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-27, 21:52

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

Ouch.

I bought a hunk through the NPR gift shop. Have no idea where that is, either. I do have a hunk of the old Spartan Home dugout when Kobs Field was redone. It has green paint on it, just like my Berlin Wall chunk.

Cool. That’s why I’m thinking my Berlin Wall hunk is gone. I meant it was a non discript piece of cement that was partially blue. If seen by anyone cleaning things or moving things it would easily have been tossed
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-01-27, 22:02

More

I would have guessed we passed that point years ago. I guess I've never really given it that much consideration.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-03, 08:31

Today I learned that Michigan has 2 of the 4 luge runs in the United States.

West Michigan a draw for luge enthusiasts

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 B99619898Z.1_20180202210422_000_GOL1QP6HF.1-0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-02-03, 08:44

LooseGoose wrote:Today I learned that Michigan has 2 of the 4 luge runs in the United States.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 B99619898Z.1_20180202210422_000_GOL1QP6HF.1-0

I like the jagermeister life at fancy get togethers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-02-03, 10:01

LooseGoose wrote:Today I learned that Michigan has 2 of the 4 luge runs in the United States.

I learned that about a month ago from Pure Michigan twitter. It's on my bucket list now. Public are welcome.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2018-02-03, 14:37

Today is the day the music died - the plane carrying the Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Popper crashed in Clear Lake, Iowa on Feb. 3, 1959.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-14, 18:27

That Time When America Banned Sliced Bread

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-26, 15:46

Bennett Place vs. Appomattox Court House

Johnston asked for a truce, and arrangements were made for Johnston to meet Sherman at David Bennett’s farm, about four miles from Durham, NC. There, on April 17, the two commanders met and negotiated not just the surrender of Johnston’s army, but peace. They negotiated an end to hostilities as well as the surrender of Johnston’s army. Sherman gave Johnston extremely generous terms, and they signed an agreement on April 18, subject to government approval. Although Jefferson Davis readily approved these liberal terms, an angry Federal government, still stinging from the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, rejected them. Grant then ordered Sherman to re-negotiate the terms with Johnston to match those given to Lee at Appomattox.

Davis, opposed the surrender of Johnston’s command under the terms given to Lee, ordered Johnston to disband the infantry and escape with the large force of cavalry attached to Johnston’s army. To his undying credit, Johnston disobeyed those orders, met Sherman again on April 26, and surrendered nearly 90,000 Confederate troops on the same terms given to Lee’s army at Appomattox. The troops included men in the Carolinas, Georga, and Florida. Only after Johnston surrendered did Taylor and Kirby-Smith finally surrender, too.

In many ways, what happened at Bennett Place is more remarkable, and more important, than what happened at Appomattox. However, the Bennett place episode has long been ignored in light of the more dramatic events at Appomattox.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-04-26, 17:51

LooseGoose wrote:Bennett Place vs. Appomattox Court House

Johnston asked for a truce, and arrangements were made for Johnston to meet Sherman at David Bennett’s farm, about four miles from Durham, NC. There, on April 17, the two commanders met and negotiated not just the surrender of Johnston’s army, but peace. They negotiated an end to hostilities as well as the surrender of Johnston’s army. Sherman gave Johnston extremely generous terms, and they signed an agreement on April 18, subject to government approval. Although Jefferson Davis readily approved these liberal terms, an angry Federal government, still stinging from the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, rejected them. Grant then ordered Sherman to re-negotiate the terms with Johnston to match those given to Lee at Appomattox.

Davis, opposed the surrender of Johnston’s command under the terms given to Lee, ordered Johnston to disband the infantry and escape with the large force of cavalry attached to Johnston’s army. To his undying credit, Johnston disobeyed those orders, met Sherman again on April 26, and surrendered nearly 90,000 Confederate troops on the same terms given to Lee’s army at Appomattox. The troops included men in the Carolinas, Georga, and Florida. Only after Johnston surrendered did Taylor and Kirby-Smith finally surrender, too.

In many ways, what happened at Bennett Place is more remarkable, and more important, than what happened at Appomattox. However, the Bennett place episode has long been ignored in light of the more dramatic events at Appomattox.

So Grant >>> Sherman ? (or the other way 'round)

Today, well last night, I learned that the civilized world owes George Marshall some sincere gratitude.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-08, 20:13

ROBERT MORRIS MAY WELL HAVE BEEN AS INDISPENSIBLE AS GEORGE WASHINGTON: The wealthy financier and merchant signed all three of the nation’s founding documents—the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. Roger Sherman is the only other person who did so. But Morris’ real claim to fame is that he financed a major portion of the Revolution. Alas, business reversals in the 1790s landed him in debtors’ prison in 1798. He languished there over three years till Congress, in part out of sympathy for Morris in particular, passed its first bankruptcy statute in 1801. Morris never regained his health or wealth. He died on this day in history, 1806.

Robert Morris: America's Founding Capitalist
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-09, 14:53

TIL that Woody Harrelson and VP Pence attended the same Christian college in Indiana, and were friends. Also learned Woody at the time considered becoming a minister.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5af2abc1e4b0a0d601e7ea64/amp
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-17, 07:55

Stagger Lee was a real person and he really did shoot Billy.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-20, 07:47

That Luzerne may have some claim on a Medal of Honor winner.

This old newspaper article cites Luzerne, all the other public information mentions St. Charles.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 Drowle10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-22, 15:40

May 22, 1980 - PacMan is released in Japan.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-22, 16:06

Where'd Matty go?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-22, 18:19

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Where'd Matty go?

RIP Matty and Doogie.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-22, 22:20

Opossums actually pass out from shock. They don't "play dead". My dog spooked one who happened to be carrying 13 babies who scattered in every direction. We gathered them up and piled them on her...got em all boxed up for a relocation. When we closed the box, mom was hardly coherent. When we opened it, she marched out with the young'uns clinging to her back.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-06-17, 17:25

Today I learned an English woman was recently asked by some guy on Twitter to send him nudes of herself. She responded by sending the man a super-closeup shot of chef Gordon Ramsay’s wrinkled forehead, and told the guy it was her cleavage. He sent back a video of himself beating off. She laughed about the vid because she knew the dude was spanking it to Ramsay. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 502811600

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/20/somewhere-man-masturbating-gordon-ramsays-forehead-7483402/amp/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-06-17, 18:35

tGreenWay wrote:Today I learned an English woman was recently asked by some guy on Twitter to send him nudes of herself. She responded by sending the man a super-closeup shot of chef Gordon Ramsay’s wrinkled forehead, and told the guy it was her cleavage. He sent back a video of himself beating off. She laughed about the vid because she knew the dude was spanking it to Ramsay. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 5 502811600

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/20/somewhere-man-masturbating-gordon-ramsays-forehead-7483402/amp/

That link had some the best clickbait headlines I've seen. Got me on at least 2.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-12, 18:53

TIL Build-a-Bear Thursday is worse than Black Friday.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-12, 19:38

TIL giving bread to ducks is a bad thing. The carbs & sugars cause something called angel wings, which is irreversible in adult waterfowl and therefore usual fatal. Angel wings prevents birds from flying and therefore, unable to forage in wide areas. Best to stick with non-moldy cracked corn and standard bird seed.
I had no idea.

http://www.naturemuseum.org/the-museum/blog/angel-wing-syndrome
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-07-12, 20:55

Floyd Robertson wrote:TIL Build-a-Bear Thursday is worse than Black Friday.
I took my daughter to build a bear, not today, but after she finished kindergarten. I think someone gave her 20 or 40 bucks. Long story short, the total cost of the bear, with a song and outfit came in around $70.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-07-12, 21:01

I think it’s a black eye on the American education system that an entire generation of children are being allowed to grow up believing bears are hand-crafted by humans. For shame.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next