Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The political hodge podge thread

+20
CheesySpartan
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
steveschneider
AnomanderRake
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
The_Dude
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Blanch32
xsanguine
DWags
GRR Spartan
24 posters

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by Guest 2017-06-27, 21:53

DWags wrote:America Fascists

Strange they omitted the people in the streets rioting.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by DWags 2017-06-27, 22:11

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:America Fascists

I already told Roc sometimes truth hurts. You'll have to go to the Zep thread to see how.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-06-28, 00:53

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I already told Roc sometimes truth hurts. You'll have to go to the Zep thread to see how.

Oh man I got some zingers but I'm afraid your sensitive ass would not beagle to handle them.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-28, 07:51

Rocinante wrote:
DWags wrote:

Oh man I got some zingers but I'm afraid your sensitive ass would not beagle to handle them.

Woof woof.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-28, 10:25

The compassionate Left never disappoints.
The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 DDTAjeJXYAAbRkQ

....and cue up people wanting to demonstrate their decency.
The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 DDTAk-PXkAA2kad
The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 DDTAj9pXUAEOOaM
The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 DDTAkdmXkAQjCoK

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-06-28, 10:33

Oh my god people are worried about losing their healthcare and probably being avoided by their representatives and their only way to express themselves is via electronic means. What the fuck is wrong with them?

Do you really want to compare deplorables? Cuz... you know.... yours are pretty bad.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-29, 00:06

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-29, 01:39

Rocinante wrote:Oh my god people are worried about losing their healthcare and probably being avoided by their representatives and their only way to express themselves is via electronic means. What the fuck is wrong with them?

Do you really want to compare deplorables? Cuz... you know.... yours are pretty bad the absolute worst.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-29, 02:28

More Trump Admin/Republican hypocrisy: Tuesday afternoon, Sarah Huckabee Sanders excoriated news orgs for using unnamed sources. What Sanders failed to mention during that lecture was how she gave a quote to reporters that very morning, but wanted her words attributed to "a White House official."

Find it at the end of the story:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/reporter-unloads-deputy-press-secretary-white-house-briefing-205320836.html

"Sanders also scolded reporters for the use of unnamed sources.
“If we make the slightest mistake, if the slightest word is off, it’s just an absolute tirade from a lot of people in this room,” she said. “But news outlets get to go on day after day and cite unnamed sources.”
Earlier Tuesday, Sanders relayed a statement to pool reporters asking about the White House’s surprise warning that Syrian President Bashar Assad may be planning another chemical attack on its citizens.
She asked that the statement be attributed to “a White House official.”
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-30, 00:32

Pretty accurate, at least at minimum this is how I often feel.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-30, 02:24

DWags wrote:Pretty accurate, at least at minimum this is how I often feel.

Came here tonight to post that very column. The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 685334576
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-30, 08:40

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:Pretty accurate, at least at minimum this is how I often feel.

Came here tonight to post that very column. The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 685334576

I don’t know how to explain to someone why they should care about other people.

Personally, I’m happy to pay an extra 4.3 percent for my fast food burger if it means the person making it for me can afford to feed their own family. If you aren’t willing to fork over an extra 17 cents for a Big Mac, you’re a fundamentally different person than I am.

I’m perfectly content to pay taxes that go toward public schools, even though I’m childless and intend to stay that way, because all children deserve a quality, free education. If this seems unfair or unreasonable to you, we are never going to see eye to eye.

If I have to pay a little more with each paycheck to ensure my fellow Americans can access health care? SIGN ME UP. Poverty should not be a death sentence in the richest country in the world. If you’re okay with thousands of people dying of treatable diseases just so the wealthiest among us can hoard still more wealth, there is a divide between our worldviews that can never be bridged.

I don’t know how to convince someone how to experience the basic human emotion of empathy. I cannot have one more conversation with someone who is content to see millions of people suffer needlessly in exchange for a tax cut that statistically they’ll never see (do you make anywhere close to the median American salary? Less? Congrats, this tax break is not for you).

The problem is this.....people all SAY that.....but real world behavior shows they don't DO that. Color me shocked.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-06-30, 08:49

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Personally, I’m happy to pay an extra 4.3 percent for my fast food burger if it means the person making it for me can afford to feed their own family. If you aren’t willing to fork over an extra 17 cents for a Big Mac, you’re a fundamentally different person than I am.

I’m perfectly content to pay taxes that go toward public schools, even though I’m childless and intend to stay that way, because all children deserve a quality, free education. If this seems unfair or unreasonable to you, we are never going to see eye to eye.

If I have to pay a little more with each paycheck to ensure my fellow Americans can access health care? SIGN ME UP. Poverty should not be a death sentence in the richest country in the world. If you’re okay with thousands of people dying of treatable diseases just so the wealthiest among us can hoard still more wealth, there is a divide between our worldviews that can never be bridged.

I don’t know how to convince someone how to experience the basic human emotion of empathy. I cannot have one more conversation with someone who is content to see millions of people suffer needlessly in exchange for a tax cut that statistically they’ll never see (do you make anywhere close to the median American salary? Less? Congrats, this tax break is not for you).

The problem is this.....people all SAY that.....but real world behavior shows they don't DO that. Color me shocked.

Weird how you didn't bold the word "Personally", and notice frequent use of "I" and "I'm".

There are people who feel the same way the writer does, and people that don't.

I think that was kind of the point.

Color me shocked that you missed it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2017-06-30, 08:53

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The burger one yes. Health care, different story, lot's of support for universal coverage.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-30, 09:26

Goose is back in full victim mode.

Jeff Flake has a much tougher constitution than his defender here whose feelings get hurt at every turn.

There are always people willing to utter and publish insensitive and inappropriate statements.  

We have one living in The White House and his wife defends him.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-30, 09:28

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Are you expecting people to voluntarily add an extra 17 cents or pay more in taxes that they don't have to? No, that's not going to happen. If the taxes are already there though, then yes, it is going to happen. I'll assume the next argument is that people can get together and go and volunteer, and you are right they can, but when they do that, they can choose who they want to help, and decide to alienate a segment of the population. If it is done through taxes that shouldn't be as obvious, unless of course certain services are cut that affect a greater portion of a segment of the population than others.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-30, 09:38

The connies favorite argument.

Anyone with a clue know no one voluntarily pays more taxes but a vast majority will pay taxes if they are eneacted into law.

Similarly, I heard a Chesapeake Bay crab fisherman interviewed on NPR this week downplaying President Trump's budget.

After saying the last season was so good he was able to take his family to Disney for a FL vacation in his off season, he was asked about the proposed EPA cuts that would eliminate pollution oversight in the bay where he fishes.

His response was astounding. Saying he thought the EPA was all talk and they should be able to get along without the agency. He thought companies and individuals won't statrt polluting again because of social stigma.

That's a lot like the premise we should give more money in our taxes than required.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-30, 09:47

GRR Spartan wrote:The connies favorite argument.

Anyone with a clue know no one voluntarily pays more taxes but a vast majority will pay taxes if they are eneacted into law.

Wow. I wish I had thought of that argument. That people would obey the law.

Nice switcheroo by more than one here. The article linked here doesn't talk about taxes enacted into law. It talks about VOLUNTARILY paying more for a hamburger so the workers can have a higher wage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-30, 09:58

LooseGoose wrote:

Nice switcheroo by more than one here. The article linked here doesn't talk about taxes enacted into law. It talks about VOLUNTARILY paying more for a hamburger so the workers can have a higher wage.
That's a bit disingenuous. The author implies paying a higher tax, the next paragraph starts off about having a little less out of their paycheck because of taxes. How you get it would be voluntary is beyond me.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-30, 10:25

InTenSity wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

That's a bit disingenuous. The author implies paying a higher tax, the next paragraph starts off about having a little less out of their paycheck because of taxes. How you get it would be voluntary is beyond me.

The next paragraph is talking about taxes for schools not today's luncheon hamburger. 2 VERY different animals for most people.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2017-06-30, 10:27

LooseGoose wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

The next paragraph is talking about taxes for schools not today's luncheon hamburger. 2 VERY different animals for most people.

Agree with that, 100 percent.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-30, 12:15

I realize you wouldn't know it by the echo chamber you get in here and with most of the media......but this is interesting. Honestly? I wouldn't have believed it without seeing the poll.

Brian Rosenwald‏ @brianros1 55m55 minutes ago
Brian Rosenwald Retweeted Reid Wilson
It should scare the heck out of Democrats that they still have lower favorables than Republicans 6 months into the Trump Administration.

Reid Wilson‏ @PoliticsReid
Fav ratings (USA Today/Suffolk poll): Pence 41%. Trump 40%. Republican Party 37%. Democratic Party 36%

==
Now you can tell me again how you're all the sane ones and the rest of the public are nutcases. That should help win the next election.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-06-30, 12:30

LooseGoose wrote:

Are you for real? You don't think the 4.3% hike in burgers would be due to an increase in minimum wages? You think that's just an arbitrary number that the poster made up that he would VOLUNTARILY pay?

What would the person do? Distribute (and divide) the extra 17 cents per Big Mac to each minimum wage employee working when he bought it?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-30, 12:49

I just tipped a guy that delivered my lunch. It was a sandwich. It was fine.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-30, 19:38

More "small government" moves.

The voter fraud investigators want every state to turn over each registered voter's complete Social Security number, driver's license number if available along with the voter's home address.

It's supposed to be Democrats that are big government, right?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/29/trumps-voter-fraud-commission-wants-to-know-the-voting-history-party-id-and-address-of-every-voter-in-america/
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-01, 10:13

The political hodge podge thread - Page 20 DDn96aCVYAQuh8m
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-01, 19:12

For those of you (dwags) that say that democrats don't have young up and comers in the wings... I gave you a list of people I super like last week in one of these threads, but here's another in 36 year old Joe Kennedy. There's plenty of young talented people, but you can't expect them to immediately kick everyone else out and take over. Give it time. We're gonna be fine.

https://twitter.com/repjoekennedy/status/880934855537827840
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-01, 19:34

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:For those of you (dwags) that say that democrats don't have young up and comers in the wings... I gave you a list of people I super like last week in one of these threads, but here's another in 36 year old Joe Kennedy. There's plenty of young talented people, but you can't expect them to immediately kick everyone else out and take over. Give it time. We're gonna be fine.

This makes me happy Travis. Very happy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-01, 19:40

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:For those of you (dwags) that say that democrats don't have young up and comers in the wings... I gave you a list of people I super like last week in one of these threads, but here's another in 36 year old Joe Kennedy. There's plenty of young talented people, but you can't expect them to immediately kick everyone else out and take over. Give it time. We're gonna be fine.

That guy's given some great speeches on the house floor as well if you are so inclined as to google them your damn self.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-07-02, 10:59

LooseGoose wrote:

Wow.  I wish I had thought of that argument.   That people would obey the law.

Nice switcheroo by more than one here.  The article linked here doesn't talk about taxes enacted into law.  It talks about VOLUNTARILY paying more for a hamburger so the workers can have a higher wage.

Goose I honestly dont think you are this stupid
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-02, 11:26

Herbie Green wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Nice switcheroo by more than one here.  The article linked here doesn't talk about taxes enacted into law.  It talks about VOLUNTARILY paying more for a hamburger so the workers can have a higher wage.

I do. I honestly have no idea why all of you overestimate him so much.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-02, 12:07

Travis, Goose has espoused Trump's constant claims of fake news since he was elected including linking to false data ie counties that voted for Clinton.

I know as of today Goose has shown he will support Trump and the agenda of casting doubt on media and what is truth.  According to recent posts, everything is fair game so long as Roe v Wade is reversed.  

Similar things went on in Post WW1 Germany, Italy and Spain. Doubt the media and blame "leftists" They included Jews and Romani as "leftists.   It currently goes on in Russia to the point where many Russians have given up on official media ever reporting anything but what Putin wants to has published and/or broadcasted. Meanwhile Putin has enlisted the Russian Orthodox Church to help spread his version of family values.

Anyone who disagrees is labeled a leftist.  Like there are Americans and there are leftists.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-02, 12:15

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Difference between stupid and blinded. Blinded by hatred of the left and the belief the right is the only way.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-02, 12:18

DWags wrote:

Difference between stupid and blinded. Blinded by hatred of the left and the belief the right is the only way.

Nah, I'm just starting to think that he really isn't very bright. And that's okay. Just don't give him undo credit just because he's able to copy paste some stuff.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-07-02, 13:03

NigelUno wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Are you for real?  You don't think the 4.3% hike in burgers would be due to an increase in minimum wages?  You think that's just an arbitrary number that the poster made up that he would VOLUNTARILY pay?  

What would the person do?  Distribute (and divide) the extra 17 cents per Big Mac to each minimum wage employee working when he bought it?

I would really like to see Goose try to answer this.  But he wont
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-03, 20:05

DWags wrote:

Hi dwags,

You should listen to today's Pod Same America (Spotify, itunes, anywhere else where podcasts are given away for free) for a great interview with 48 year old Cory Booker. Thursday had the aformentioned Joe Kennedy on it, and in the last couple of weeks Schummer and Pelosi if you feel like comparing on the same platform and largely the same topic (healthcare)

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-03, 20:58

DWags wrote:

Hi dwags,

You should listen to today's Pod Same America (Spotify, itunes, anywhere else where podcasts are given away for free) for a great interview with 48 year old Cory Booker. Thursday had the aformentioned Joe Kennedy on it, and in the last couple of weeks Schummer and Pelosi if you feel like comparing on the same platform and largely the same topic (healthcare)

I just got Spotify premium and now am happy I can hear this. I will listen in a couple days.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-03, 21:01

If I never hear from Nancy Pelosi again, it will be too soon. House Dems need new blood with fresh ideas in leadership positions.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-03, 21:20

After listening you'll come to the same conclusion I did... that guy is 100% running in 2020
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-07-03, 21:28

tGreenWay wrote:If I never hear from Nancy Pelosi again, it will be too soon. House Dems need new blood with fresh ideas in leadership positions.

Could not agree more, and if she can reach across the aisle and take McConnell with her that would be great.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next