Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ChampionsClassic - The March continues.

+23
WhiteBoyHatcher
Stoops21
CORNER BLITZ
kingstonlake
Dendrobates
MattyFresh
Tim Wakefield
Heat Miser
aualum06
Clarett's Folly
tGreenWay
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
steveschneider
DWags
InTenSity
NigelUno
Death Roe
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
27 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

ChampionsClassic - The March continues. - Page 8 Empty Re: ChampionsClassic - The March continues.

Post by NigelUno Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

We lost because Grayson Allen went off.

It had nothing to do with the defense on him either.

Is this a Eureka moment for you? I mean...I don't want to ruin it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

ChampionsClassic - The March continues. - Page 8 Empty Re: ChampionsClassic - The March continues.

Post by steveschneider Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:56 pm

DWags wrote:Team with most potential.

Call it what you want, this was our best shot to beat them in a long time. 1-11 for a reason.

Izzo is a HOF coach except vs Duke or UNC.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 pm

So we could play them again in the “Please like us Phil Knight” Invitational next week right? Or how does that all work?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So we could play them again in the “Please like us Phil Knight” Invitational next week right? Or how does that all work?

I hope we never play duke or UNC again. Just another frustrating loss. We are out of our league vs UNC or Duke.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 pm

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So we could play them again in the “Please like us Phil Knight” Invitational next week right? Or how does that all work?

I hope we never play duke or UNC again. Just another frustrating loss. We are out of our league vs UNC or Duke.

Well Steve we probably are going to play them again sorry
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm

And their best/2nd best player was out with a poked eye
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Kentucky looks great. I think they put away Kansas.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 pm

steveschneider wrote:Kentucky looks great. I think they put away Kansas.

They will* put away Kansas
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:30 pm

Tonight was frustrating but I don't really think it means a whole lot guys. Probably shouldn't react too much to Game #2.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 pm

This was the 5th time in the KenPom era that an MSU opponent rebounded >50% of its misses (KenPom rank)
2018 Duke (4)
2010 Indiana (194 (!))
2008 Memphis (2)
2008 UCLA (3)
2004 Duke (1)

https://twitter.com/McMathketball/status/930654322223927296

ChampionsClassic - The March continues. - Page 8 C10
ChampionsClassic - The March continues. - Page 8 Ca10
ChampionsClassic - The March continues. - Page 8 Cap10

Last edited by MattyFresh on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Tonight was frustrating but I don't really think it means a whole lot guys. Probably shouldn't react too much to Game #2.

I kind of agree, but there is a larger issue we just can’t beat Duke. Let’s hope we avoid UNC or Duke in March!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 pm

steveschneider wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Tonight was frustrating but I don't really think it means a whole lot guys. Probably shouldn't react too much to Game #2.

I kind of agree, but there is a larger issue we just can’t beat Duke. Let’s hope we avoid UNC or Duke in March!

Yeah but steve we just can't beat them because they have better players/athletes than we do in general and Duke has a very good coach. You just have to hope that some years we have the experience and nuts to knock out a team of theirs that doesn't quite have that moxxy. It still could be this year. We know they will get better but we certainly will, too and MSU has never played their best basketball in November.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Scrap it
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 am

MattyFresh wrote:This was the 5th time in the KenPom era that an MSU opponent rebounded >50% of its misses (KenPom rank)
2018 Duke (4)
2010 Indiana (194 (!))
2008 Memphis (2)
2008 UCLA (3)
2004 Duke (1)

Don't let OTPT see that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 am

NigelUno wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:This was the 5th time in the KenPom era that an MSU opponent rebounded >50% of its misses (KenPom rank)
2018 Duke (4)
2010 Indiana (194 (!))
2008 Memphis (2)
2008 UCLA (3)
2004 Duke (1)

Don't let OTPT see that.

No idea what those charts mean, but OTPT woulda definitely kicked Winston's ass at HORSE today.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:19 am

Back off idiots. OTPT has a 46" vert.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 am

Tum didn’t play that bad when you compare him to almost everyone else who pooped their pants, including the coach.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Yeah but steve we just can't beat them because they have better players/athletes than we do in general and Duke has a very good coach. You just have to hope that some years we have the experience and nuts to knock out a team of theirs that doesn't quite have that moxxy. It still could be this year. We know they will get better but we certainly will, too and MSU has never played their best basketball in November.
This x10000000

I'd also add that to Izzo (as has been the case in the non conference for 20 years) this game was prep for March. It's why he rotated so deep. 4 min left in a close game and Goins and Carter are the big men on the floor, probably our 4th/5th choice biggies. Why? Because come March (or even any time before that), what happens if Ward, Schilling, or Jackson are injured or in foul trouble? To borrow Comp's line, 30 games to get your crap together. Have them face that situation now so that it's not new if they're called upon in games that matter.

Yeah, we lost. Duke owns us. Meh, big deal. Is this loss going to hurt us in March/April? Would winning this game have helped us in March/April? We have won 1 of the last 3 against them in games that mattered a lick. Not so awful considering the last of those we were a 7 seed against a 1 seed.

FWIW, I've thought it equally unimportant when we've beaten Kentucky, Kansas, etc. in Nov/Dec.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:13 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Tum didn’t play that bad when you compare him to almost everyone else who pooped their pants, including the coach.

That seems like a backhanded compliment.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 am

One other thought on the game how come Wendel carter wasn’t ejected? I still think we lose the game, but that was an elbow delivered straight to the face. What does it take for a Duke player to get ejected?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 am

steveschneider wrote:One other thought on the game how come Wendel carter wasn’t ejected? I still think we lose the game, but that was an elbow delivered straight to the face. What does it take for a Duke player to get ejected?

Would have lost*
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:37 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:And their best/2nd best player was out with a poked eye

He did play 10 minutes.

And they still had 5 Top 25 ranked recruits on the court:

Duval #6 2017
Carter Jr. #7 2017
Trent Jr. #17 2016
Bolden #14 2016
Allen #25 2014

MSU had 3:

Jackson #8 2017
Bridges #12 2016
Langford #19 2016

They're ranked #1 for a reason. They have the players.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 am

Recruiting rankings are nice and all, but I expected more out of our sophomores and upperclassmen. Winston got burned on defense multiple times, mcquaid looked timid, and they all didn’t know how to react to a zone. The whole “this gets us ready for March” argument is valid for playing anyone but duke or unc. Let’s hope they get upset early.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Recruiting rankings are nice and all, but I expected more out of our sophomores and upperclassmen. Winston got burned on defense multiple times, mcquaid looked timid, and they all didn’t know how to react to a zone. The whole “this gets us ready for March” argument is valid for playing anyone but duke or unc. Let’s hope they get upset early.

Playing Duke doesn't get you ready for playing Duke?
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Recruiting rankings are nice and all, but I expected more out of our sophomores and upperclassmen. Winston got burned on defense multiple times, mcquaid looked timid, and they all didn’t know how to react to a zone. The whole “this gets us ready for March” argument is valid for playing anyone but duke or unc. Let’s hope they get upset early.

Izzo’s record against them may suggest nothing gets us ready vs them, brah.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:58 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:

Right, but that's because they're Duke. Literally no one has a good record against them.
I guess I don't see what you were getting at in your original post. It's like you were surprised the #1 team in the country looked like the #1 team in the country.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:

7 of the 11 games against Duke under Izzo have been in November or early December. It's tough to get ready for Duke when MSU generally doesn't play them for another 12 months or more.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 am

Allen got hot and hit 7-11 3's.

A career high in points. Dude can shoot.

It's got nothing to do with defense. He hit shots with people on him.

He was the outlier. If Langford, McQuaid, or Winston knocked down some 3's instead of going a collective 1/10 and Allen misses a few...it's a different game.

Sometimes the shots go in. Sometimes they don't.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 am

I’ll be a lot more bothered if we lose to UNC in the Nike suck up tournament next week.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am

NigelUno wrote:

A career high in points.  Dude can shoot.

It's got nothing to do with defense.  He hit shots with people on him.

He was the outlier.  If Langford, McQuaid, or Winston knocked down some 3's instead of going a collective 1/10 and Allen misses a few...it's a different game.

Sometimes the shots go in.  Sometimes they don't.

Grayson is damn good at college but there's something unimpressive about watching a guy that should have gone pro his sophomore year stick around in college (aka a developmental league) to dominate inferior talent.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am

I'm not sure why we're unable to say "we got beat".. there's no shame in losing to the #1 team in the country.

Yes, it's November.. yes, both teams will be completely different when March rolls around - but we lost to a team that started 4 freshman and played a majority of the game without one of them... while their lone senior had a career night.

so we can call them names, whine about officiating, etc - fact is, the better team that made fewer mistakes won last night.

let's trust that MSU will work hard and continue to improve and let's try not to be the fanbase that we claim to despise.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:20 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not sure why we're unable to say "we got beat".. there's no shame in losing to the #1 team in the country.

Yes, it's November.. yes, both teams will be completely different when March rolls around - but we lost to a team that started 4 freshman and played a majority of the game without one of them... while their lone senior had a career night.

so we can call them names, whine about officiating, etc - fact is, the better team that made fewer mistakes won last night.

let's trust that MSU will work hard and continue to improve and let's try not to be the fanbase that we claim to despise.

Get real, Bob. November is the perfect time of year to overreact on college basketball.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not sure why we're unable to say "we got beat".. there's no shame in losing to the #1 team in the country.

Yeah, seconded. Duke's a hell of a good team and a hell of a good program. There is no shame in losing to them. We don't have a Duke in the Big Ten, we're in for a good season.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Get real, Bob. November is the perfect time of year to overreact on college basketball.
ChampionsClassic - The March continues. - Page 8 4198636888
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 am

Fuck you and the monster truck you rode in on.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

A career high in points.  Dude can shoot.

It's got nothing to do with defense.  He hit shots with people on him.

He was the outlier.  If Langford, McQuaid, or Winston knocked down some 3's instead of going a collective 1/10 and Allen misses a few...it's a different game.

Sometimes the shots go in.  Sometimes they don't.

Grayson is damn good at college but there's something unimpressive about watching a guy that should have gone pro his sophomore year stick around in college (aka a developmental league) to dominate inferior talent.

ChampionsClassic - The March continues. - Page 8 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:

7 of the 11 games against Duke under Izzo have been in November or early December. It's tough to get ready for Duke when MSU generally doesn't play them for another 12 months or more.
And we've won one of the four that matters. I don't think that's awful, and considering the circumstances is fairly decent.

1999 - ok, we, including Izzo, were brand new to this Final Four thing. Duke was experienced, both as a program and the players, and a damn good team.

2005 - We were a 5 seed and beat 1 seed Duke.

2013 - We were what, 2 and 3 seeds and lost. We were fairly equivalent going in.

2015 - We were a 7 seed and lost to 1 seeded Duke. Player/talent difference.

Those 4 are all that matters. Considering the circumstances of each we've done OK.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

And we've won one of the four that matters.  I don't think that's awful, and considering the circumstances is fairly decent.  

1999 - ok, we, including Izzo, were brand new to this Final Four thing.  Duke was experienced, both as a program and the players, and a damn good team.

2013 - We were what, 2 and 3 seeds and lost.  We were fairly equivalent going in.

2015 - We were a 7 seed and lost to 1 seeded Duke.  Player/talent difference.

Those 4 are all that matters.  Considering the circumstances of each we've done OK.

Exactly.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

And we've won one of the four that matters. I don't think that's awful, and considering the circumstances is fairly decent.

1999 - ok, we, including Izzo, were brand new to this Final Four thing. Duke was experienced, both as a program and the players, and a damn good team.

2013 - We were what, 2 and 3 seeds and lost. We were fairly equivalent going in.

2015 - We were a 7 seed and lost to 1 seeded Duke. Player/talent difference.

Those 4 are all that matters. Considering the circumstances of each we've done OK.

I've also found myself wondering who actually has a good record against Duke.

If I had to take a guess I'd say Roy Williams and UNC and maybe John Calipari and Kentucky. I'd be surprised if there was any other coach with an above 33% win percentage against Duke. There's probably some outlier like Leonard Hamilton at Florida State or something.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am

Clarett's Folly wrote:

Right, but that's because they're Duke. Literally no one has a good record against them.
I guess I don't see what you were getting at in your original post. It's like you were surprised the #1 team in the country looked like the #1 team in the country.

I don’t think they looked all that great, to be honest. They skullfucked us on the boards, hit some timely shots, but other than that it was all Allen and the guy who got poked in the eye. There were a lot of times where we would over help on a drive and give them open looks. Yeah Grayson hit some tough ones but he had a few where nobody was in the area - sure that drove Izzo nuts. The guy is killing us, someone get in his face.

Who plays zone in the big ten? Michigan? Wisconsin? That zone pretty much nullified Bridges’ driving ability. Couldn’t get Ward in many post up situations, just off a cut and pass.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next