Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT

+29
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
SawGreen
Wally Fairway
I.B. Fine
DWags
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Da Mayor
NigelUno
MiamiSpartan
Floyd Robertson
Clarett's Folly
Code_Warrior
Death Roe
Watch Out Pylon!
NWSpartan
kingstonlake
InTenSity
Senior Dickfist
Jake from State Farm
Motown Spartan
Cameron
aualum06
Dr. Strangelove
MattyFresh
33 posters

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT  - Page 14 Empty Re: AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-08, 13:02

LooseGoose wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Good lord, is she referencing the Lansing Pulse story that said that Izzo kept playing Payne and Appling while they were being investigated...an investigation that lasted from August 30th to September 2nd...and these were basketball players that Izzo kept playing in games at that time, right?

This is where the outright lies really fucking get to me. At best, they're referring to the Title IX investigation that went until November and December. But then fucking say that, if that's what you're referring to. It's the same shit that the OTL piece did in so many places, saying something that is missing important facts and important context, and therefore creating a completely false interpretation.

IF she's referring to the Title IX she's being misleading since most people would consider the criminal investigation the "investigation". Just had a joker over at the Athletic try to wise me up...:

You 19h ago
It sickens me that supposedly esteemed reporters simply repeat these smears without doing any verification of the truthfulness. 2 female prosecutors in Ingham county Michigan cleared Payne/Appling, the County Prosecutor (a graduate of UMich) concurred.) What was Izzo to do to those kids then?

Michael D. 2h ago
Nope. "Cleared" and "not pressing charges" are not the same thing.

You 49m ago
@Michael D. Did you read the prosecutors statement? You don't need to "educate" me.

A quote from it: "Our office reached the conclusion that NO CRIME had been committed" You don't consider that cleared?
I'll bet you would if it were you or your son.

I unfollowed Quinn and a few of the other athletic writers last week. That site seems like a joke to me.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT  - Page 14 Empty Re: AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-03-08, 13:47

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

IF she's referring to the Title IX she's being misleading since most people would consider the criminal investigation the "investigation". Just had a joker over at the Athletic try to wise me up...:

You 19h ago
It sickens me that supposedly esteemed reporters simply repeat these smears without doing any verification of the truthfulness. 2 female prosecutors in Ingham county Michigan cleared Payne/Appling, the County Prosecutor (a graduate of UMich) concurred.) What was Izzo to do to those kids then?

Michael D. 2h ago

You 49m ago
@Michael D. Did you read the prosecutors statement? You don't need to "educate" me.

A quote from it: "Our office reached the conclusion that NO CRIME had been committed" You don't consider that cleared?

I unfollowed Quinn and a few of the other athletic writers last week. That site seems like a joke to me.

That'll learn em.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-03-08, 14:20

LooseGoose wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Good lord, is she referencing the Lansing Pulse story that said that Izzo kept playing Payne and Appling while they were being investigated...an investigation that lasted from August 30th to September 2nd...and these were basketball players that Izzo kept playing in games at that time, right?

This is where the outright lies really fucking get to me. At best, they're referring to the Title IX investigation that went until November and December. But then fucking say that, if that's what you're referring to. It's the same shit that the OTL piece did in so many places, saying something that is missing important facts and important context, and therefore creating a completely false interpretation.

You 19h ago

Michael D. 2h ago

You 49m ago

It's funny (and sad) when sports writers from some two-bit website that 90% of the country has never heard of, has the arrogance to think they're smarter than everyone else.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-03-08, 17:50

Many local reporters have gotten criticism for retweeting Paula's lies, but not retweeting gHost's stuff and Harns' stuff.

Maybe it's nature, not them being cowardly dipshits. Apparently, bullshit gets retweeted more than truth. They're still cowardly dipshits, though, as I think this article is saying that regular people retweet the bullshit more. Reporters should do better.

False news—which the study defines as either inaccurate information presented as truth or opinion presented as fact—is on average about 70 percent more likely to be retweeted than information that faithfully reports actual events, the researchers found.
Bullshit gets tweeted more
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-03-08, 18:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:Many local reporters have gotten criticism for retweeting Paula's lies, but not retweeting gHost's stuff and Harns' stuff.

Maybe it's nature, not them being cowardly dipshits. Apparently, bullshit gets retweeted more than truth. They're still cowardly dipshits, though, as I think this article is saying that regular people retweet the bullshit more. Reporters should do better.

False news—which the study defines as either inaccurate information presented as truth or opinion presented as fact—is on average about 70 percent more likely to be retweeted than information that faithfully reports actual events, the researchers found.
Bullshit gets tweeted more
A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-08, 23:39

Andrew Fennell (The Athletic)

Mar 8, 3:14 PM CST

Thanks for reporting these errors. Can you provide a link to the source of the correct information so we can revise the piece?
========

Hi Andrew,
Here's a link showing Appling and Payne to be Freshmen in the 2010-11 season so obviously they weren't On campus in 2008.    

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/michigan-state/2011.html

And here is the link to their schedule showing their 1st game to be 11/12/2010:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/michigan-state/2011-schedule.html

Here is the Prosecutor 's statement released 10/1/2010 well before the season started:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidharns/status/958165732176605185?lang=en

Notice he didn't just decline to bring charges, he stated clearly that no crime had been committed. This was determined by 2 female prosecutors in his office and he concurred.  

This is ALL easily located and public information.  Your reporter did NO legwork to verify what was false reporting by ESPN she just perpetuated the lies.  Not a good look.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-03-09, 06:32

Nice, goose!

Let us know if he responds. He should be flat out embarrassed that the most obvious and easily checked things would be gotten so horribly wrong.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-03-09, 07:05

Really good stuff guys. That MIT article is spot on.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-09, 07:27

Good work Goose! It will be interesting to see if they actually make the revision.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-09, 08:12

gHost Spartan wrote:These reporters are fucking trash. They do NOTHING... no fucking basic research, no investigative work, nothing... they're pieces of shit. Not to pat myself on the back but how many of them were embarrassed by my article and Harns' ongoing work? Fucking trash these assholes.

And this isn't some young rookie reporter. Dana O'neil has been around for a decade or more. I think they believe that anything ESPN printed must have been fact checked so they can rely on it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-09, 08:20

I would have no idea what The Athletic is if you guys didn't talk about it all the time.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-09, 08:24

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I would have no idea what The Athletic is if you guys didn't talk about it all the time.

It's how you learn, listening to your elders. You should do more of it. ;-)

BTW - they're expanding like wildfire, so they're either doing well or on the way to an epic collapse.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-09, 08:25

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I would have no idea what The Athletic is if you guys didn't talk about it all the time.

It's how you learn, listening to your elders. You should do more of it. ;-)

BTW - they're expanding like wildfire, so they're either doing well or on the way to an epic collapse.

This site sounds like it wants to be ESPN pretty bad. Pass.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-09, 08:30

LooseGoose wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:These reporters are fucking trash. They do NOTHING... no fucking basic research, no investigative work, nothing... they're pieces of shit. Not to pat myself on the back but how many of them were embarrassed by my article and Harns' ongoing work? Fucking trash these assholes.

And this isn't some young rookie reporter.  Dana O'neil has been around for a decade or more.    I think they believe that anything ESPN printed must have been fact checked so they can rely on it.

I find it interesting that Schlabauch and Lavigne have been Twitter silent.  Lavigne for a week, Schlabauch since February 25th.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-03-09, 08:51

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

And this isn't some young rookie reporter.  Dana O'neil has been around for a decade or more.    I think they believe that anything ESPN printed must have been fact checked so they can rely on it.

I find it interesting that Schlabauch and Lavigne have been Twitter silent.  Lavigne for a week, Schlabauch since February 25th.

ghost has been Twitter silent also.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-09, 08:59

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That'll learn em.

It was more for my own benefit. I found him to be a huge UofM slappy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-09, 09:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

That'll learn em.

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-09, 09:38

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

That'll learn em.

Hahahahahaha! When he says ‘return to your place of origin or the the nearest parallel dimension’ I lose it every time.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-09, 10:08

LooseGoose wrote:Andrew Fennell (The Athletic)

Thanks for reporting these errors. Can you provide a link to the source of the correct information so we can revise the piece?
========

Hi Andrew,
Here's a link showing Appling and Payne to be Freshmen in the 2010-11 season so obviously they weren't On campus in 2008.    

Here is the Prosecutor 's statement released 10/1/2010 well before the season started:

Notice he didn't just decline to bring charges, he stated clearly that no crime had been committed. This was determined by 2 female prosecutors in his office and he concurred.  

This is ALL easily located and public information.  Your reporter did NO legwork to verify what was false reporting by ESPN she just perpetuated the lies.  Not a good look.

What's so absurd about this guy's response is that he wants YOU to provide him with the links rather than telling his shitty reporter to do her job and find them herself. Unreal.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-09, 10:09

Da Mayor wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Andrew Fennell (The Athletic)

========

Hi Andrew,

What's so absurd about this guy's response is that he wants YOU to provide him with the links rather than telling his shitty reporter to do her job and find them herself. Unreal.

My guess is that he didn't quite believe me and wanted me to prove her wrong.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-09, 10:11

LooseGoose wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:

My guess is that he didn't quite believe me and wanted me to prove her wrong.

Fuck that. It's on them to verify the facts. That's their job.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2018-03-09, 10:14

Has any team ever gone through a season in which a sex abuse scandal AND an improper benefits scandal broke by the media in the same year only to have nothing come of either a mere three weeks later? It's insane to think that people were calling for Izzo to retire two weeks ago and now... crickets.
Talk about overblown.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-09, 10:27

Clarett's Folly wrote:Has any team ever gone through a season in which a sex abuse scandal AND an improper benefits scandal broke by the media in the same year only to have nothing come of either a mere three weeks later? It's insane to think that people were calling for Izzo to retire two weeks ago and now... crickets.
Talk about overblown.

They knew they just had to wait out the media frenzy and all would calm down. I just wish LAKS and Hollis would have done the same.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-03-09, 10:40

Da Mayor wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:Has any team ever gone through a season in which a sex abuse scandal AND an improper benefits scandal broke by the media in the same year only to have nothing come of either a mere three weeks later? It's insane to think that people were calling for Izzo to retire two weeks ago and now... crickets.
Talk about overblown.

They knew they just had to wait out the media frenzy and all would calm down. I just wish LAKS and Hollis would have done the same.

I don’t think Hollis and LAKS leaving had anything to do with the izzo stuff and more Nassar but what do i know
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-09, 10:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:

I don’t think Hollis and LAKS leaving had anything to do with the izzo stuff and more Nassar but what do i know

That's true, but the pitchfork-wielding media storm was very much the same.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-03-09, 10:55

Da Mayor wrote:

And they both needed to go.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-03-09, 11:12

NigelUno wrote:

Agreed, Nigel.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-09, 11:15

NigelUno wrote:

Nope, but whatever.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-03-09, 11:21

LooseGoose wrote:

And this isn't some young rookie reporter. Dana O'neil has been around for a decade or more. I think they believe that anything ESPN printed must have been fact checked so they can rely on it.
Do you happen to know if she's above or below Katie Strang?

Katie Strang worships the ground that Paula walks on. Within the last 6 weeks since Paula's short story was released, Strang has called Paula her mentor, called her "The Queen" in regard to her reporting, called her the best in the country at what she does, and said she should win a pulitzer.

I don't know if Dana O'Niell has any relationship to Paula or not, but the Athletic has at least one reporter that worships the ground Paula walks on, and now apparently someone else that is even more clueless than Paula.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-09, 11:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Do you happen to know if she's above or below Katie Strang?

Katie Strang worships the ground that Paula walks on. Within the last 6 weeks since Paula's short story was released, Strang has called Paula her mentor, called her "The Queen" in regard to her reporting, called her the best in the country at what she does, and said she should win a pulitzer.

I don't know if Dana O'Niell has any relationship to Paula or not, but the Athletic has at least one reporter that worships the ground Paula walks on, and now apparently someone else that is even more clueless than Paula.

They're both writers on different beats. Both came from ESPN.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-03-09, 15:41

I'm still kind of on the fence about Hollis, but LAKS definitely had to gtfo.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-11, 17:32

SpartanWire @SpartanWire 17h17 hours ago

Paula Lavigne tweeted hourly since she joined twitter but hasn’t tweeted since 3-2-18 at 4AM, almost 9 days.

Wonder what happened to her and Mark Schlabach?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-11, 17:40

LooseGoose wrote:SpartanWire @SpartanWire 17h17 hours ago

Paula Lavigne tweeted hourly since she joined twitter but hasn’t tweeted since 3-2-18 at 4AM, almost 9 days.

I think ESPN is giving both of them a time out in hopes that the schools they pissed off will leave them alone. I don't know about Arizona, but MSU people are just waiting for her to tweet again to continue to ask her about accountability.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-03-11, 18:14

gHost Spartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:SpartanWire @SpartanWire 17h17 hours ago

She's a fucking piece of shit. I hope she gets fired. Look, I don't care about someone sharing their fact-based opinion. We see it in politics all the time. There are different interpretations. Here, Lavigne just flat out OMITTED all the key facts. She's a despicable piece of shit - fucking trash.
I don't even mind an opinion that isn't rooted fact, as long as it's obvious that it's an opinion, such as columnists (Couch, Wojo, Myth Albom, etc.).

The problem is when someone who is considered a journalist presents an opinion as a factual news story while leaving out the crucial facts that would cause any neutral reader to come to a conclusion counter to the writer's opinion.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-27, 14:59

SPARTY SZN @sparty__88 13m13 minutes ago
More SPARTY SZN Retweeted Dan Murphy
William Strampel’s name being associated with a picture that is a tribute to the late Mike Sandler is disgusting.

Not surprising coming from ESPN.

AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT  - Page 14 DZUOvpXW4AA-CWU
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-03-27, 15:02

LooseGoose wrote:SPARTY SZN @sparty__88 13m13 minutes ago
William Strampel’s name being associated with a picture that is a tribute to the late Mike Sandler is disgusting.

AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT  - Page 14 DZUOvpXW4AA-CWU

What a fucking piece of shit Murphy is, and I don't throw that around lightly.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-03-27, 15:10

Honestly, they're not even trying to hide it under a thin veil now. It's like they're going overboard now. And using that, of all pictures, is low even for them. I don't know if Sadler's family gives a shit about the ESPN disaster (especially as they're still living every day with his early passing), but I'd be pissed about them using that picture.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-03-27, 15:28

RIP Guest.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-27, 15:37

LooseGoose wrote:SPARTY SZN @sparty__88 13m13 minutes ago

His response is laughable. It's a stock photo that's automatically generated when a tweet is sent out? AS MICHIGAN STATE ALUMS WE HAVE A FUCKING VOICE - WE SHOULD USE IT  - Page 14 1966794946

More Dan Murphy Retweeted Ryan James
That's a stock photo that generates automatically when we send out a tweet. It's not included in the story and certainly was not put there intentionally. I apologize if anyone was offended by it.Dan Murphy added,
Ryan James

@rjwardin
Replying to @DanMurphyESPN
why in the world would a photo of Mike Sadler's tribute on the football field be the cover for a story about Larry Nassar and William Strampel?
5 replies 1 retweet 7 likes
Reply 5 Retweet 1 Like 7 Direct message
Show this thread
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-27, 15:42

I don't believe a word from him, Lavigne or Strang from the the Athletic. I think they've all made it personal not good reporting.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next