Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another high school shooting. Florida

+23
Floyd Robertson
Dendrobates
AnomanderRake
msugolfguy
Clarett's Folly
GirbaudJeans
Turtleneck
Cameron
Dr. Strangelove
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
I.B. Fine
tGreenWay
aualum06
kingstonlake
steveschneider
Nordic
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
27 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 Empty Re: Another high school shooting. Florida

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-02-16, 11:05

Rocinante wrote:Let's start calling it "uterus" instead of "school".  Then maybe republicans will care about the kids inside.
If you’re going to steal bad tweets then at least cite it roc.

Plagiarist.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 Empty Re: Another high school shooting. Florida

Post by Rocinante 2018-02-16, 11:07

I saw it in a FB post yesterday. No idea where it came from. You're welcome to cite it, worst mod ever.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 11:07

I.B. Fine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:delicate combination between common sense gun control, breakdown in families, devaluing of human life, quality universal healthcare including treatment for mental health needs, an overall feeling of empathy, compassion and a shared sense of responsibility within society.

If this is real, why fixate solely on the gun part of the equation, when like you say it is only part? I think the majority of the population can go along with tightening gun control in some areas, but how does that impact the devaluation of life in general, the breakdown of the family, the way this kid was lost by the system when his mother died, apparently had no one to anchor his reality.
Also, people tried to report him, but that part of the system failed completely, as well.
This is not (for fear of being non PC) a black and white situation, the availability of the gun exacerbated the situation, but it didn't create it.
These incidents have been going on longer than AR-15s have been on the market.
Bath School Massacre
post #34 in this thread:

Robert J Sakimano wrote:delicate combination between common sense gun control, breakdown in families, devaluing of human life, quality universal healthcare including treatment for mental health needs, an overall feeling of empathy, compassion and a shared sense of responsibility within society.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-02-16, 11:08

Rocinante wrote:I saw it in a FB post yesterday.  No idea where it came from.  You're welcome to cite it, worst mod ever.
It wasn’t really that funny when I saw it somewhere either. Thank you for sharing though Roc. Your posts are gems.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-02-16, 11:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I saw it in a FB post yesterday.  No idea where it came from.  You're welcome to cite it, worst mod ever.
It wasn’t really that funny when I saw it somewhere either. Thank you for sharing though Roc. Your posts are gems.

Yeah I didn't think of it as a joke, more a sardonically funny statement because it's true.

You're a boil on the ass of the internet, Travis.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-02-16, 11:11

msugolfguy wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

If this is real, why fixate solely on the gun part of the equation, when like you say it is only part? I think the majority of the population can go along with tightening gun control in some areas, but how does that impact the devaluation of life in general, the breakdown of the family, the way this kid was lost by the system when his mother died, apparently had no one to anchor his reality.
Also, people tried to report him, but that part of the system failed completely, as well.
This is not (for fear of being non PC) a black and white situation, the availability of the gun exacerbated the situation, but it didn't create it.
Bath School Massacre

Agreed. The mental health community could help with additional support. Yet we got half the people that want to build an 18 billion dollar wall.

Reserach has shown you can increase funding in the mental health treatment areas at a fraction of the cost. It'll probably save more lives than the wall but then we'd probably be giving jobs to liberal elite social worker and school therapists. Tough call for the Republican party.

Finger pointing at political parties is not constructive either. They both share the blame for the mental health situation in our country. Republicans reduce funding, Dems make it difficult, if not impossible to commit someone against their will.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-02-16, 11:12

Rocinante wrote:

Yeah I didn't think of it as a joke, more a sardonically funny statement because it's true.

You're a boil on the ass of the internet, Travis.
No, it was great. I’m sure you rushed to like it on Facebook. Or maybe use the laughing one. Maybe even share. It was a sweet meme right up there with some of the greatest memes Russian bots can produce. Maybe next time just say “hey, I saw this from a Russian bot I follow” instead of pretending it’s an original thought.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-02-16, 11:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Bath School Massacre
post #34 in this thread:

This statement is actually not far off of what Goose has been saying.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-02-16, 11:15

Other countries have mentally ill people too. At the same rate we do. Other industrialized countries do not have our insane murder rate.

Do we need to do something about mental health? Sure. Do nra drones use it as an excuse to continue to protect gun manufacturers? Sure do.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 11:15

I.B. Fine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: post #34 in this thread:

This statement is actually not far off of what Goose has been saying.
I simply value life.. all life. Every life. They're all equally important and equally valuable.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2018-02-16, 11:20

I.B. Fine wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

Agreed. The mental health community could help with additional support. Yet we got half the people that want to build an 18 billion dollar wall.

Reserach has shown you can increase funding in the mental health treatment areas at a fraction of the cost. It'll probably save more lives than the wall but then we'd probably be giving jobs to liberal elite social worker and school therapists. Tough call for the Republican party.

Finger pointing at political parties is not constructive either. They both share the blame for the mental health situation in our country. Republicans reduce funding, Dems make it difficult, if not impossible to commit someone against their will.

That I agree with but it's going to cost us money. Mental health can be long and drawn out. I don't see that being a option in this climate.

I don't know of one Democrat who is totally againt having someone commited. I think we wanted/still want a due process system with a peer review. I think anyone should get that.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 11:23

msugolfguy wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

That I agree with but it's going to cost us money. Mental health can be long and drawn out. I don't see that being a option in this climate.

I don't know of one Democrat who is totally againt having someone commited. I think we wanted/still want a due process system with a peer review. I think anyone should get that.
remember that the sexual predator revoked the the Obama-era bill requiring checks for people with mental illness.

I suppose the sexual predator didn't want to fund it? And give tax breaks to corporations instead?

of course, that didn't stop him from blaming the classmates and neighbors for Wednesday's shooting.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2018-02-16, 11:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

remember that the sexual predator revoked the the Obama-era bill requiring checks for people with mental illness.

I suppose the sexual predator didn't want to fund it? And give tax breaks to corporations instead?

of course, that didn't stop him from blaming the classmates and neighbors for Wednesday's shooting.

I'm not trying to point fingers but it's the truth. Any tax increase is just a no no. That's fine but let's not pretend we don't get what we pay for.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-02-16, 11:26

I don’t disagree with revoking the mental health/gun bill. Problem is that it discourages people from getting treatment. If you want your precious gun and need mental help then your choices were to either give up on the gun or simply not get help.

Again, the problem is our insane obsession with a need for guns. Not strictly mental health.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 11:27

msugolfguy wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm not trying to point fingers but it's the truth. Any tax increase is just a no no. That's fine but let's not pretend we don't get what we pay for.
oh, I know - the only thing the fine patriots on the right love more than guns and god is their 'hard earned money' and keeping it out of the hands of a bunch of lazy freeloaders. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-16, 12:34

Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 DWLIB6EU8AA2ovw
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-16, 12:36

So a Month ago the FBI was warned.
Last fall the FBI was warned
39 visits to his home by deputies in 8 years.

But blame the NRA.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 12:50

LooseGoose wrote:So a Month ago the FBI was warned.

But blame the NRA.

they most definitely share in the blame.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-02-16, 12:50

But blame the NRA.

You’re goddamn right blame the nra. Good job goose.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 12:51

But blame the NRA.

You’re goddamn right blame the nra. Good job goose.
or we could blame his classmates.. which the sexual predator did.

or.. Hillary Clinton. Which Rush Limbaugh did.

Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 502811600   Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2018-02-16, 13:23

But blame the NRA.

So fuck the 5th but you'll never take my 2nd. Great, proves my point most conservatives only care about the first and second.

Now if you want to debate about amending the 5th I'm all ears. What's the FBI going to do, take his gun? I'm sure Sean Hannity would love that. Big Government here we come.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 13:24

msugolfguy wrote:

But blame the NRA.

So fuck the 5th but you'll never take my 2nd. Great, proves my point most conservatives only care about the first and second.

Now if you want to debate about amending the 5th I'm all ears. What's the FBI going to do, take his gun? I'm sure Sean Hannity would love that. Big Government here we come.
Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 4113017228  -  they don't care about the 1st Amendment, either. I mean, the one blonde chick in the clip I posted told LeBron James to quit espousing his opinions while belittling his intellect.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 13:36

one thing I will say is that I've been impressed with what I've heard from a lot of the kids at the Florida school and even within my daughter's peer group. We're probably all guilty (I know I am) of getting frustrated with the younger generation, but if you listen closely, a lot of these kids are very astute with regard to the future that they want. We need to listen to them.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-02-16, 13:45

But blame the NRA.

About time you started to get it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-02-16, 13:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 4113017228  -  they don't care about the 1st Amendment, either. I mean, the one blonde chick in the clip I posted told LeBron James to quit espousing his opinions while belittling his intellect.

If you're talking about Tomi, I'll fight you.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2018-02-16, 14:06

Maybe we should ban all guns except muzzle loaders and go back to hunting with bows and arrows, traps, blow darts and shit.

Guns do far more harm than good, and we'd be better off without them.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-02-16, 14:19

Rocinante wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

If you're talking about Tomi, I'll fight you.
 I don't know who it was - I posted the video a page or so back. She was mocking LeBron James and his grammar - and told him he shouldn't have opinions.. and that he should've stayed in school.

ya know.. basically just another mainstream media racist, anti-American tirade.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2018-02-16, 14:46

Rocinante wrote:Let's start calling it "uterus" instead of "school".  Then maybe republicans will care about the kids inside.
If you’re going to steal bad tweets then at least cite it roc.

Plagiarist.

Plagiarism should be a bannable offense.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-02-16, 14:51

AnomanderRake wrote:Maybe we should ban all guns except muzzle loaders and go back to hunting with bows and arrows, traps, blow darts and shit.

I've never been big into guns. I would be fine with this. But gun culture is so ingrained in this country it will take multiple lifetimes to change this mindset.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-02-16, 15:03

AnomanderRake wrote:Maybe we should ban all guns except muzzle loaders and go back to hunting with bows and arrows, traps, blow darts and shit.

Groovy, feel free to start asking legal, licensed gun owners to hand over the weapons they paid real money for, all 300,000,000+ of them. Shouldn't take too long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Last edited by I.B. Fine on 2018-02-16, 15:06; edited 1 time in total
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-02-16, 15:05

There are around 24.1M people in Australia. In 1996 there were about 18.3M

1996 is imporant because in April that year a man named Martin Bryant brought an Colt AR-15 SP1 and a L1A1 SLR (used by Canadian military) to a vacation area and killed 35 people at various locations wounding 23 more.

The Austrailian government got made as hell an made dramatic changes. No automatic or semi-automatic guns can be purchased by civilians, a national registry of gun ownership, a 28 day waiting period and a buy back. Mass murders dropped from 13 including the Port Authur shootings to zero. Homicides and gun related suicides dropped 59%.

Here in the US we have thoughts and prayers and most recently we have a President who blames the former classmates of the shooter.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/10/australia-gun-control/541710/

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2018-02-16, 15:38

I.B. Fine wrote:

Groovy, feel free to start asking legal, licensed gun owners to hand over the weapons they paid real money for, all 300,000,000+ of them. Shouldn't take too long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

In fairness those 300,000,0000 are owned not by a large percentage of population. Still I agree it's a silly idea.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-02-16, 16:06

No one has to turn n their weapons.  

They should be required to register them and and we should limit the size of magazines to 10 rounds of less.

Are we going to lock them all up?  Do they want to go to jail if one of their unregistered guns is used in a crime by a thief, trusted friend or family member?  Do they feel lucky?

I have a hunch at least 80% of gun owners would have no issue with registration but as with anything the 5%'ers will fight it.  It would be don't register at your own risk.

PS
I own multiple guns.  Rifles, shotguns and a S&W .357.   No problem registering them and if I sell one going to a gun shop and finishing the transaction that would be sent to a state or Federal data base.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-16, 16:27

Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 MFeCKZn
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-02-16, 16:32

LooseGoose wrote:Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 MFeCKZn

Sweet NRA propaganda Goose.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2018-02-16, 16:33

Cool. So we won't pay for paper, books, etc...but pony up for guns. Try again. Stats show more guns equal more deaths.

I'm more open to vets being hired as guards.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-02-16, 17:45

Another high school shooting.  Florida - Page 5 502811600

Are you being serious right now, or did you post that ironically?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-02-16, 18:03

Why not give her an assault rifle?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-02-16, 18:15

So 2 warnings to the FBI in the last 3.5 months.

And....

Zeke Miller‏Verified account @ZekeJMiller Follow Follow @ZekeJMiller

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — Florida sheriff says his office received about 20 calls regarding school gunman over the past few years.

4:41 PM - 16 Feb 2018

20 calls to the sheriff..but NRA
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-02-16, 18:22

Yes. Nra. Exactly goose. Good job.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next